C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Temp is too high? Goes up to 120c (248f)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2017 | 03:09 AM

cls63
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Did you also purchase the (VÄTH) Vaeth Trans Cooler? We would def appreciate your take and feedback on the Vaeth units as there is none, and no photo I can find on their Trans Cooler. C63 FL models come with a significantly larger Trans Cooler (same as used on the Black Series) than the PFL models, but FL MCT is known to still see high temps.

Found this older thread on Vaeth products, and there is even mention of a FUEL cooler using a seemingly counter-current system. Interesting stuff, def need more application data:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-products.html
I haven't purchased the oil cooler yet. The response from Vath is far from good. One gentlemen gave me a good discount on the pricing, but had no details of how the cooler worked - Whether it was a separate additional cooler or it replaced one of the existing radiators.

It took another month for me to speak to someone else and get details, that it replaced the main cooler. And they have 2 different variants of the oil cooler too, kind of like a stage 1 and a stage 2 for super hot climates.

Another month and this new gent gave me updated pricing which was 50% higher than was I was originally told. When I sent him all the previous emails on pricing there has been no reply.

Frankly, I've been too busy to follow up but I think I will do it this month. I don't want to buy from them after its taken me so much effort to get info from them but then there is no other choice.

Sorry for the rant LOL, I'll update shortly after getting it. As for the tranny cooler, I will stick to the Weistec pan, since mine doesn't have the MCT and doesn't really have an issue with high trans oil temps..
Old 04-06-2018 | 01:19 AM

cls63
To give you guys an update on this -

I did end up purchasing the Vaeth oil cooler upgrade for my Cls63, and another friend bought the same for his C63.

It was bolt on for the C63, but I had to make a custom bracket for the CLS since using the OE mounting points it would touch the gearbox cooling pipes behind.

After months of going back and forth with Vaeth, we finally got the coolers. Also switched to 10w60 oil at the same time.

Yes the oil cooler definitely helps, I can finally drive in the heat over here in manual mode without my oil temperature touching 120c in a matter of minutes. The oil temps are lower by 8-10 degrees in city traffic, and while going flat out it definitely takes a whole lot longer to rise up. Also the temps do come down a lot faster too.

I haven't really done an in depth study on the temperature differences before and after the oil cooler, but I can tell you this - The car is definitely a whole lot more fun to drive without me having to worry about the temps shooting up.
Old 04-08-2018 | 01:53 AM

W126 500 SEC, W208 CLK55 AMG (TRACK CAR), W163 ML350, W164 ML500, 2009 W204 C63 (TRACK CAR, 190E 2.6
Hello All,
I just came across this Thread and thought I'd let you know how I fixed my overheating problems and Post a few photos of the mods.
I have a 2009 W204 C63 which I have been slowly prepping for track use only.
The colour of the car is Black and my Son wrapped it in Avery Dennison "Quicksilver" and also did the Decals
When I first got the car (Dec 16) I took it to a couple of "Test & Tune" days at a local Track to get a feel it and it wasn't long before the overheating problems became
apparent.
The first test day air temperature was 40*C (102*F) and the track approximately 55*C.
After three laps of the short circuit (2.4 Klms) the car went into Limp Mode and then back to normal after a slow lap or two.
Another surprise was when on a quick lap I had a lot of white smoke coming from beneath the car which, at the time, I thought I'd done a Head Gasket but fortunately turned out to be a small amount of Tranny Fluid escaping under heat pressure through the relief breather.
The Mods so far include Ceramic Coated Supersprint Headers and Catless Downpipes, Eurocharged V7 Tune, KW V3 Coilover Suspension, Weistec Tranny Oil Pan, Secondary Tranny Oil Pump, Secondary Moroso Twin Tube Finned Tranny Cooler, I made a Heat Shield panel to stop hot air from the front of the radiator rising to the Engine air intakes and another Heat Shield is used as a barrier to reduce the Header heat reaching the ABS unit.
I'm running Hankook Medium Compound Z-221 Semi Slick 265/35/18's tyres on Merc 18 x 9 Rims. the Front Camber is 4* and Rear 2.5*.
To date I've only entered the car in club Supersprints as I haven't stripped out the interior or installed a Rollcage yet and still race my CLK55 Track Car in "serious" races.
Last weekend I entered the car in a 6 Hour Relay event which meant running stints of 15 to 20 laps. Qualifing on the Saturday was done in 80*F and the air temperature on the Sunday Raceday was just over 100*F and I figured if I was going to have any overheating issues it would be on the day.
The Track length is 3.9 Klm's in length with 18 turns and i drove it in full Manual mode averaging 6.5 to 7000 RPM reaching around 230 KPH on the main straight.
I am very pleased to say I had no Overheating or Limp Mode issues, although Engine Oil temps got up to a maximum of 266*F and Coolant Temp maximum was 154*F,
I don't know what the Tranny oil temp was but the secondary cooler certainly seems to have done its job.
Enough talk, hope you enjoy the Photos,
Cheers.

Car was originally Black and My son Wrapped it in Avery Dennison "Quicksilver" and also did the Decals.

At last weekends race.

Weistec Tranny Pan Connections.

Tranny Cooler Pump.

Supersprint Header Collector.

Supersprint Header to Collector Connection

Tranny Cooler Vent

Moroso Tranny Cooler

Morosso Tranny Cooler under Rear Bumper

Barrier to stop hot air from radiato rising to air intakes.
Old 04-08-2018 | 02:11 AM

W126 500 SEC, W208 CLK55 AMG (TRACK CAR), W163 ML350, W164 ML500, 2009 W204 C63 (TRACK CAR, 190E 2.6
A Few More Photos

CLK55 Track Car.

CLK.

C63 Heat Wrpped Pipes

Radiator Heat Shield and ABS Shield.

CLK.

Old 04-15-2018 | 10:09 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by akshay1234
To give you guys an update on this -

I did end up purchasing the Vaeth oil cooler upgrade for my Cls63, and another friend bought the same for his C63.

It was bolt on for the C63, but I had to make a custom bracket for the CLS since using the OE mounting points it would touch the gearbox cooling pipes behind.

After months of going back and forth with Vaeth, we finally got the coolers. Also switched to 10w60 oil at the same time.

Yes the oil cooler definitely helps, I can finally drive in the heat over here in manual mode without my oil temperature touching 120c in a matter of minutes. The oil temps are lower by 8-10 degrees in city traffic, and while going flat out it definitely takes a whole lot longer to rise up. Also the temps do come down a lot faster too.

I haven't really done an in depth study on the temperature differences before and after the oil cooler, but I can tell you this - The car is definitely a whole lot more fun to drive without me having to worry about the temps shooting up.
Any pictures of the cooler? Ive only seen the vath tranny one but not the main oil cooler replacement. How does your friend with c63 find thr upgrade?
Old 04-30-2019 | 02:59 PM

2012 C63, 2014 E550
Its been almost 1.5 years since I put on my ceramic coated headers. I havent heard the radiator fan go on since then. For anyone who struggles with temps, ceramic coated headers should be one of the first steps. Along with BLKROKT's blockoff plate. Then 44o cooling package.

Really would like to thank BLKROKT and other veteran members here for really pushing me to ceramic coat the headers, and not to save on the $400 or so.

Last edited by NotABaller; 04-30-2019 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019 | 11:03 PM

2007 E63 Sedan, 2001 E55 Sedan
Love the CLK55 pics, so thought I’d post.

I’m in Florida and in 36c ambient I was seeing 103c oil temp with Mobil 1 0w40. Switched to Motul 8100 excess 5w40 with liquimoly mos2 and am seeing 88c. Assuming my temp sensor hasn’t changed I feel much better about these oil temps. Car is driven in sport mode when I monitor oil temps.