Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting down headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63
This thread revive comes in perfect timing, I installed AP headers over the weekend and holy **** it's loud, too loud, to be perfectly honest I had no gauge on how loud it will be.
I like the added power but even when I cruise I just touch the pedal and it feels obnoxious loud.
I read here race cats will not tone down the sound but has anyone tried putting the stock cats on?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by KatchC63
This thread revive comes in perfect timing, I installed AP headers over the weekend and holy **** it's loud, too loud, to be perfectly honest I had no gauge on how loud it will be.
I like the added power but even when I cruise I just touch the pedal and it feels obnoxious loud.
I read here race cats will not tone down the sound but has anyone tried putting the stock cats on?
HAHAHA I love it!! Cant wait to get my headers and install them. I think I have hearing problems already so this won't phase me one bit.

Are you running without cats? How is the exhaust fume smell?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Originally Posted by NotABaller
HAHAHA I love it!! Cant wait to get my headers and install them. I think I have hearing problems already so this won't phase me one bit.

Once installed I'd love to meet up and hear it in person. I'm in Toronto.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
It's funny how everyone thinks that LT headers are way too loud. My infant and toddler sleeps very well in my c63 with ARH header and 200 cell cats. The xpipe on the ARH setup smooths out a small amount of peak raspness. If you are concerned about gas fumes, just install a set of race cats and that will solve the problem. With race cats, you will smell gas fumes upon startup, but once the vehicle is warmed up, you won't smell any fumes.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
It's funny how everyone thinks that LT headers are way too loud. My infant and toddler sleeps very well in my c63 with ARH header and 200 cell cats. The xpipe on the ARH setup smooths out a small amount of peak raspness. If you are concerned about gas fumes, just install a set of race cats and that will solve the problem. With race cats, you will smell gas fumes upon startup, but once the vehicle is warmed up, you won't smell any fumes.

This is the only platform that I know of where people complain that headers are too loud.. I am not sure if it is just the clientele that typically purchase Mercedes but its defiantly not people who come from a hot rod background and are used to muscle cars. I love a big lumpy cam, open headers and the sweet smell of race gas.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM

2013 C63

When standing still I can definitely smell it.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Has quiet exhaust man card not required..

The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
This thread has bothered me since it popped up.. If headers are too loud I fell like you should just turn in your man card and buy a Prius already. Fast and loud is what its all about .. you know gas tires and oil and if that's not your thing than maybe your driving the wrong car.
For that matter, who the hell needs seatbelts. Turn in your man card if you use seatbelts. Real men drive hot rodded cars from the 30's and those didn't have them.

Actually, real men don't even need all that metal around them to stop sound coming in and protect them in an accident. Chop it all off and just drive around in a seat with an engine and four wheels.

For that matter, real men don't car about sound at all. Get rid of your headers and exhaust completely. Just run straight pipes directly in your face. If you're a real man you won't care about the fumes or being badly burned. And you won't go to the hospital either. Real men don't do that ****.

Actually no, a real man doesn't even need all that. Just attach wheels to your shoes and a V12 directly on your back. It's not heavy if you're a real man. And attach the fuel intake to your dick because a real man would just drink gasoline and **** it out into his engine.

If you don't do this, turn in your man card and go drive a prius.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Hey Kriston, thanks for the good info. If I'm worried about exhaust fumes, would getting high flow cats + dyno tune to run close to stoich AFR instead of rich help my cause?
I have IPE headers and mid-pipes. No cats.
I daily my car and honestly can't say I noticed any fumes or smell. Except maybe when it idles a bit in my garage.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Urgh, I accrued some nice fines and a marker on my car from the Police yesterday because of the excessive noise. It wasn't the speed that got me in trouble (40-60mph 2nd gear pull), it was the fact that the car made him jump and he was on the other side of the road

Guys, if I fitted sports cats but way up in the exhaust stream near the back half of the car, am I correct in thinking the back-pressure would be less than if I had them fitted right after the headers? I think it's a reasonable ghetto idea tbh, on the basis that exhaust flow slows down and gets cooler further out, so it'll 'hurt' less than if it was closer to the headers and preventing the gas from expelling the cylinders as quickly as it does right now.

I'm not concerned with them heating up enough for emissions. I merely want something of a restriction to quieten the sound at WOT(even half throttle for that matter) but I don't want to compromise power.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Please don't use cats simply as a noise reducer. That's just retarded, and it's like the third time that's been suggested this week. Cats muffle the sound a bit as a byproduct, but you know that they make these things called MUFFLERS that are made solely for that purpose?

Seriously guys, read some other forums and reviews, go listen to some cars, and put in another straight-through muffler or resonator if you need to keep the sound down. Putting in a cat just for the purposes of lowering the sound levels is one of the more retarded things I've heard on this forum.

Mufflers are cheaper than cats, lighter than cats, and do their primary job much better than cats. It's literally a no brainer.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
tglems (08-07-2017), zcct04 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Thing is, can we even fit a thick enough resonator that will actually make a real difference? The only place that I think is worth playing with is the area by the rear axel. My centre pipes already struggle and scrape badly over the mini-square speed humps.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Tons of places to put mufflers:
- right after the headers where the primaries were
- where the secondaries were
- where the resonater was
- put more effective mufflers where the stock ones are

Straight-through bullet-style options like the Borla XR1 aren't any bigger than a cat. If you want even quieter, use a chambered muffler somewhere. I know a guy who has his exhaust join into one big 4" (maybe bigger) pipe where the resonator was, into a big muffler there, then the flow splits back out the other side into two 3" pipes back to the OE mufflers.

There are better options than using a cat just for noise reduction. Unless you're going to put the cat in a location where it actually does something (right after the headers), then a 200cell cat will work and not rob a lot of power.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

2013 C63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Tons of places to put mufflers:
- right after the headers where the primaries were
- where the secondaries were
- where the resonater was
- put more effective mufflers where the stock ones are

Straight-through bullet-style options like the Borla XR1 aren't any bigger than a cat. If you want even quieter, use a chambered muffler somewhere. I know a guy who has his exhaust join into one big 4" (maybe bigger) pipe where the resonator was, into a big muffler there, then the flow splits back out the other side into two 3" pipes back to the OE mufflers.

There are better options than using a cat just for noise reduction. Unless you're going to put the cat in a location where it actually does something (right after the headers), then a 200cell cat will work and not rob a lot of power.
I'm looking into installing 200 CEL cats mainly to help with fumes, I find it very noticeable with the headers, any recommended ones?

Also is there a way to fit the Borla XR1 and the 200 cel cats if I have the stock resonator in place?