Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Tire Advice (Black Series Fitment)

C63 Black Series
Current tires: Michelin AS/3 (non +)
Front life remaining: 7/32
Rear tire life remaining: 4/32

I’m planning on buying new rear tires soon. My car just slides all over the place under heavy acceleration from a stop or light roll. Normally I would just get a set of PSS or the new PS4S, but Michelin doesn’t make the 285/30/19 rear size I need.

The dealer I purchased the car from replaced them with the AS3s because of the no availability of PSS/PS4S. Otherwise I wouldn’t even consider all seasons for this vehicle.

My question is, since I have a lot of life left in my front tires, should I just stick with replacing the rears again with the updated Michelin AS3+ tires? Or just buy an entire new set of Continental ExtremeContact Sport? I’m told the new model Contis perform similar, if not identical to the PSS. It would be about $500 more to swap out my fronts also vs only rears. Do you guys think the performance difference between the Michelin all seasons and the dedicated summer Conti tires would be worth it? I do drive it aggressively when the conditions are appropriate. It’s been okay so far to me, no compliments. Makes me wonder if I am possibly missing out by not having dedicated summer tires on there?

I’m planning on purchasing a set of HREs within the next year or two. That way I can go wider widths and have a better of selection of tires. I’ll most likely do some streetable/track tires on those (PS2 Cup or Trofeo R).

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 09-27-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Just run a 295, it should fit. Or Dunlop Sport Maxx Race come in the BS sizes as they were an OE option. I liked them.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Just run a 295, it should fit. Or Dunlop Sport Maxx Race come in the BS sizes as they were an OE option. I liked them.
Hey BLKROKT, what does your avatar signify?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
A monkey umm...greeting a football
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
C63 Black Series
Current tires: Michelin AS/3
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
From experience the dedicated summer tires will out-perform the all-seasons. I would go with the Conti's until you purchase the HRE's in a year or two and are able to fit a 325 back there like we did with ours.

If you have any questions about our BS or would like to start early with talking numbers on the HRE's then feel free to email me directly David@WheelsBoutique.com

Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Yeah, that's hot
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK 63 AMG Black Series, A45 AMG
Michelin PSS is available in 285/30/19 at least in Europe.

You can also use 295/30/19 PS4s. It will fit with the OEM rims
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
First off change all 4 together, this car needs balance between the front and rear.

OEM Conti 5P are total garbage, expect to slide around with those

Michelin AS/3 sounds horrid on this car, I would assume you are driving on an ice rink for the most part.

I've switched to Pzeros and couldnt be happier. it will still slide a little bit on demand, but much less then with the original 5P and its controllable and fun. When you get onto the LSD and have a good line, the Pzeros will stick like glue.

There is no good answer with this car as the sizes are too werid.

If what Tex5 says is true, PS4S sounds like a great option, would like to confirm if anyone has actually done that yet
Old 09-28-2017, 06:48 AM

C63 AMG Black Series
I’ve decided to get rid of the AS/3s. Researching and deciding on a replacement set now.

I was looking into the Sport Maxx Race, but Tire Rack stopped selling them. Last time I was at the dealer two months ago for annual service, my SA mentioned those tires go for around $500-$750 a piece.
Originally Posted by thewb
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][CENTER]From experience the dedicated summer tires will out-perform the all-seasons. I would go with the Conti's until you purchase the HRE's in a year or two and are able to fit a 325 back there like we did with ours.

If you have any questions about our BS or would like to start early with talking numbers on the HRE's then feel free to email me directly David@WheelsBoutique.com
I've actually been meaning to reach out to you guys regarding some HRE S104s. Will send you an email shortly. Thanks!
Originally Posted by darkus
First off change all 4 together, this car needs balance between the front and rear.

Michelin AS/3 sounds horrid on this car, I would assume you are driving on an ice rink for the most part.

I've switched to Pzeros and couldnt be happier. it will still slide a little bit on demand, but much less then with the original 5P and its controllable and fun. When you get onto the LSD and have a good line, the Pzeros will stick like glue.

If what Tex5 says is true, PS4S sounds like a great option, would like to confirm if anyone has actually done that yet
I would never mismatch tires on this. The Continental tires I was talking about are the new ExtremeContact Sports that just came out at the beginning of this year, not the 5P models. I was considering the PZeros also, but it is old tech especially given their price tag. I am leaning towards giving these new Contis a shot.

I've talked to a couple people running them on M3/M4s and mentioned they are awesome. They run them on the BMW Performance Driving School cars as well with great feedback from those involved.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eContact+Sport

Originally Posted by Tex5
Michelin PSS is available in 285/30/19 at least in Europe.

You can also use 295/30/19 PS4s. It will fit with the OEM rims
I'm gonna look into that. Might not be cost effective having them imported. I saw the PSS was available as a MO tire in the stock BS rear size from the UK.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 09-28-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG

He wasn't suggesting the stock Conti tires. He referenced the new Conti summer tire, which performs similar to the Michelin PSS - Contis have slightly worse dry traction for but better wet traction.

I have P-Zeros as well. They're alright, but for the price I'd get Contis or Michelins. I think the wet traction sucks.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK 63 AMG Black Series, A45 AMG
I confirm PSS is available in 285/30/19. It is what I have on my CLK BS

See Michelin website : http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/micheli...tyres-benefits

Pour PS4s, the website indicate it as available in 295/30/19
http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

Last edited by Tex5; 09-28-2017 at 09:25 AM.
SuckaGDog (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 AM

C63 AMG Black Series
Just for reference, I just spoke with my SA and he quoted me for the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires

Front- $529 each
Rear- $746 each

Given those prices you might as well go with the newer Sport Cup 2 or Trofeo R which are cheaper lol.

Anyways, looks like I will end up going with the new ExtremeContact Sports. Will keep everyone updated as I know there isn’t many reviews for this particular tire for our W204 platform. The reviews for the tire itself are very good. It’ll probably be a month or two before I get them mounted.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:22 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
I’ve been eyeing the new Contis as well. Not in BS sizes of course, but I like what I hear about them so far. Would be interested to get your thoughts if you take the plunge.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by Ludedude
I’ve been eyeing the new Contis as well. Not in BS sizes of course, but I like what I hear about them so far. Would be interested to get your thoughts if you take the plunge.
I’d watch this review first.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Not the same Continental tire but thanks for the video regardless.

The Continental Extreme Contact Sport is the one that we've been discussing while that video references the Sport Contact 6.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Ludedude
Will do! I’ll be sure to come back and update.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I’d watch this review first.

https://youtu.be/27PcQObpNsQ
Good review, but they’re reviewing the SportContact 6 which is a completely different Continential tire.

It is possible for a tire company to make more than one model of a tire.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 PM

C63BS
Please let us know how the contis perform for you. The more experience our small bs community can share the better.

I know you weren't talking about the 5p but I was simply sharing my experience incase you or someone else was wondering in the future. Nothing wrong with that.

On on the subject of conti, I've owned various contis on various cars and they all invariably sucked so I have a generally **** poor inpression of the brand as a whole. I've also learned to take tire reviews with a large grain of salt. Nost people don't have a clue when it comes to tires so it becomes a hive mind lemming scenario, especially among the new generation of bmw owners who are the definition of lemming. (Old school bmw owners know what they are taking about).

So so if get the contis your review will be highly valued to us and will be looking for it. i still love the Pzeros, far far from perfect but with the truly subpar options available to us it's so far been the best.

Ps4s sounds like a phenominal option and I'll be the guinea pig on that for us in a few months when my current set goes. I'm still hesitant about the 295s and running on the stock offset wheels. Don't want to find out at the wrong time and wrong speed (having had the pleasure of experiencing a rear blowout with this car which is not pleasant. )

but it if you do the conti I'll do the michelin.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
Please let us know how the contis perform for you. The more experience our small bs community can share the better.

I know you weren't talking about the 5p but I was simply sharing my experience incase you or someone else was wondering in the future. Nothing wrong with that.

On on the subject of conti, I've owned various contis on various cars and they all invariably sucked so I have a generally **** poor inpression of the brand as a whole. I've also learned to take tire reviews with a large grain of salt. Nost people don't have a clue when it comes to tires so it becomes a hive mind lemming scenario, especially among the new generation of bmw owners who are the definition of lemming. (Old school bmw owners know what they are taking about).

So so if get the contis your review will be highly valued to us and will be looking for it. i still love the Pzeros, far far from perfect but with the truly subpar options available to us it's so far been the best.

Ps4s sounds like a phenominal option and I'll be the guinea pig on that for us in a few months when my current set goes. I'm still hesitant about the 295s and running on the stock offset wheels. Don't want to find out at the wrong time and wrong speed (having had the pleasure of experiencing a rear blowout with this car which is not pleasant. )

but it if you do the conti I'll do the michelin.
No worries. Just wanted to clear the air to avoid any confusion. I am for sure doing the ExtremeContact Sports unless I come across anything else in the mean time. I will come back and update this thread once I get the tires in. Don't worry everyone I won't leave the thread hanging like the other ones! As mentioned, it'll be a month or two before I order tires. Going on an extended holiday soon and don't want to leave the tires hanging around.

The reason why I decided not to do the 295s is because the stock rear wheels are 9.5 inch wide, and the 295 width tires required a minimum width wheel of 10" inch or more. I've had experience in the past of upsizing tires on factory wheels and it made the handling mushy due to the bowed out sidewalls. May or may not be a big deal, but it was just something I didn't want to risk at this time.

Also, thanks everyone for your input! To be continued..

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 09-28-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
Just wanted to update this. I found out from another member in the W212 E63S subforum that Michelin just came out with a 285/30/19 98Y MO1 PSS tire this month. It’s specially for Mercedes, not sure which model though. Anyways the part# for the tire is MSPN 07078.

I spoke with my local Discount Tire and they phoned their Michelin rep and it can only be placed through the rep at this time due to the tire being so new. Discount ended up calling one of my local MB dealers and they even couldn’t order it yet.

Also, Michelin is going to be running their $70 rebate winter promotion either next month or December from what their rep told me. Figured I’d give you guys a heads up in case anyone is in the market for new tires. I called Continental directly and they won’t be running another promotion till April next year.

Looks like I might end up going with the PSS instead next month. Will keep you guys updated.
darkus (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You mean PS4?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
You mean PS4?
You mean PS4S?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 AM

C63BS
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
Just wanted to update this. I found out from another member in the W212 E63S subforum that Michelin just came out with a 285/30/19 98Y MO1 PSS tire this month. It’s specially for Mercedes, not sure which model though. Anyways the part# for the tire is MSPN 07078.

I spoke with my local Discount Tire and they phoned their Michelin rep and it can only be placed through the rep at this time due to the tire being so new. Discount ended up calling one of my local MB dealers and they even couldn’t order it yet.

Also, Michelin is going to be running their $70 rebate winter promotion either next month or December from what their rep told me. Figured I’d give you guys a heads up in case anyone is in the market for new tires. I called Continental directly and they won’t be running another promotion till April next year.

Looks like I might end up going with the PSS instead next month. Will keep you guys updated.
Well you just made my day. Week. Month. Year.

Finally a tire worthy of the BS.

I too will be ordering early next week

Thank you

(For anyone looking for it, here it is on the PSS Spec sheet: https://www.michelinman.com/upload/m...uper-sport.pdf )

Last edited by darkus; 10-05-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 AM

C63 AMG Black Series
No, I am actually referring to the PSS. Mercedes is using this size on one of their new AMG models, not sure which one. If it was the PS4S, that would be awesome! But like mentioned before, Michelin said they don’t have any plans to release the PS4S in this size.

Well you just made my day. Week. Month. Year.

Finally a tire worthy of the BS.

I too will be ordering early next week

Thank you

(For anyone looking for it, here it is on the PSS Spec sheet: https://www.michelinman.com/upload/m...uper-sport.pdf )
Yep! That’s the list. I just ordered my set and they mentioned there is only 56 tires in that new size available. Another 200 is in production, but they are not sure when they will arrive. (Comes from France)

I was set on going with the ExtremeContact Sports, but figured it was only about $200-$250 more for Michelin, why mess with a winning combo? I’ve had great experience with the PSS in the past.

By the way, Discount Tires is running their own in house $70 promotion on the purchase of four Michelin tires right now till October 14th.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM

C63 AMG Black Series

Just got all four PSS mounted! I can confirm these rear tires 285/30/19 (98Y) MO1 do exist! They were $388 a piece. The manager at my Discount location told me they had go all the way up to the top, and speak with their Michelin rep for Discount Tire Corporate. Apparently their normal channels at Michelin didn't want to sell these tires to them. I guess they were trying to save them for the MB dealers. There is a very small stock left until the new batch comes in. So if you're in the market definitely go order a set before its too late.

I was very pleased with my experience there. Normally I don't take my cars to Discount unless it is my daily driver or a car I'm not very particular about. I told the front desk rep I wanted them to use the hand jacks to lift my car and he said no problem, I'll swap the tires myself. He already had the special socket with the protective sleeve and low profile jacks. I simply gave him the RaceLogic jack point adapters and he went to it. Even asked if I wanted the black or silver wheel weights. I was shocked Discount even offered these lol. Anyways gave him a nice tip for being careful with the wheels and surrounding components during removal and reinstalling of the wheel.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 10-10-2017 at 10:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Advice (Black Series Fitment)