C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 on regular c class konis or bilstein???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Odyssey
C63 on regular c class konis or bilstein???

Hi guys, im new here and been searching for this, i have a 2010 c63 with 45 k km., i want to use konis sport but they only sell them for regular c class, does anyone know if they will fit on a c63 ?? Thaks a lot!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Are the stock struts blown?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Honda Odyssey
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
Are the stock struts blown?
Fronts dont feel as firm as they used to, and i alway use bisltein hds or koni sports in my other cars and they feel way better than the c63, at high speed and cornering!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
That's meaningless unless you share more about what kind of cars you're talking about. My Z06 corners way better at high speed than the C63 and it's on Bilsteins but I don't believe for a second that changing the dampers on the C63 will make up that difference
Old 10-01-2017, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Yeah the logic here is flawed.

Even if they would fit, and they wont, there is no way that struts made for a C300 are going to outperform the OEM C63s just cos they are a different brand. They weren't even designed to take the weight of the V8 and the longer front end, nevermind act like anything other than the strut for a gutless sedan.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Edit: Nevermind
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
It's not that cut and dry.
Koni yellow sport adjustables are not sold in US for the C63, but are sold in Europe.
I think Koni has to answer the question of what would fit and you can send an email at their site.

Now for a car where they ARE specified and where Billstein are also specified both in comfort and sport like, say the BMW E36, the Yellow range of adjustability takes them beyond the bilstein sport, they can be adjusted to be firmer than those.
That doesn't make them .... better or better handling, as the characteristics of a shock have to match those of the spring. But it does give you a good chance.
I had yellows in BMW E36, Mercedes W124 and W126.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM

Honda Odyssey
Originally Posted by Ludedude
That's meaningless unless you share more about what kind of cars you're talking about. My Z06 corners way better at high speed than the C63 and it's on Bilsteins but I don't believe for a second that changing the dampers on the C63 will make upt that difference
My mistake!!! What i really wanted to say, is that right now, the car doesnt feel as it should, and understanding that i need new front shocks, i would prefer to use bisltein hd or koni, first because i have tried this before and they usually work better than stock shocks, and secondly because my oem shocks only lasted 45 k kilometers (never hit potholes or similar), oem are very expensive and i belived they ar sachs... maybe if theres no option i would try the black series part number if possible...

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Are you sure it's not just the stock alignment?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Honda Odyssey
Originally Posted by Vladds
Koni yellow sport adjustables are not sold in US for the C63, but are sold in Europe.
I think Koni has to answer the question of what would fit and you can send an email at their site.

Now for a car where they ARE specified and where Billstein are also specified both in comfort and sport like, say the BMW E36, the Yellow range of adjustability takes them beyond the bilstein sport, they can be adjusted to be firmer than those.
That doesn't make them .... better or better handling, as the characteristics of a shock have to match those of the spring. But it does give you a good chance.
Good info! Ill call true choice, maybe they could bring the c63 konis to the us! I just dont want to buy oem mercedes shocks anymore... at least for the w204 and in my experience they are just not that reliable...
Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Honda Odyssey
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
Are you sure it's not just the stock alignment?
Not really, the front is a little soft and the rear very firm... the front right corner feels even more soft... it happened before in another c classes when shocks die prematurely.. (not amgs)...
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG

Originally Posted by Ed Escarpita
Good info! Ill call true choice, maybe they could bring the c63 konis to the us! I just dont want to buy oem mercedes shocks anymore... at least for the w204 and in my experience they are just not that reliable...
I had Bilstein Sports shocks/struts installed on an M car this past winter. The rears were defective out of the box. What a PITA and added expense to install, reinstall and then troubleshoot to be 100% sure. I was really surprised that it happened but once I googled the issue I found out it is not an uncommon happenstance. I'll never buy Bilsteins again.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Interesting bilstein list the b16 coilover for both c350 and c63 with same part number. I have read a guy who installed the b16 for regular C on the c63 yars ago.
Also, if you look at the H&r used coilover sale, they appera to have the same part number ad the regular C h&r coilover.
This lead to think that the regular bilstein hd may work, but not necessarily to have the right damping for c63 springs.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by Rick X Joaquim
Interesting bilstein list the b16 coilover for both c350 and c63 with same part number. I have read a guy who installed the b16 for regular C on the c63 yars ago.
Also, if you look at the H&r used coilover sale, they appera to have the same part number ad the regular C h&r coilover.
This lead to think that the regular bilstein hd may work, but not necessarily to have the right damping for c63 springs.

Is there a Tirerack guy that hangs out in this forum?
Can you post please and help clear the Koni thing?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:34 AM

C63
Is there a Tirerack guy that hangs out in this forum?
Can you post please and help clear the Koni thing?

I dont have much info on koni. What im saying if bilstein and h&r have the same part number for C350 and C63, then the shock on bilstein for c350 hd should fit on c63
Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Just buy some KW V3s that were meant for a C63 and call it a day.
If product that was built and sold for C350s fit and worked like a hot damn on our cars I’m sure they would be labelled as such. There are multiple reasons this won’t work, or at least won’t work well, or better.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:16 PM

C63
I agree with you for the latter but some people dont want to go coilover ans instead just replace the stock shocks. Unfortunately i dont think there are any option unless some give a try on the bikstein B8 shocks for reagular C.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Rick X Joaquim
I dont have much info on koni. What im saying if bilstein and h&r have the same part number for C350 and C63, then the shock on bilstein for c350 hd should fit on c63
Maybe I misread, but it looked like they had the same part number for the coilover, which includes a matched spring and shock. No surprise that C63 and C350 would use the same part.

I gather that you are looking for a shock to match the existing springs. C63 and C350 almost certainly have significantly different spring rates, and therefore would need very different shocks.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
The Koni sport yellow are adjustable and the adjustment covers both compression and rebound, to my understanding.
It can therefore match different springs and in theory give you a better feel if not better handling per se, for the factory springs.
The advantage as compared with coilovers is that for non track life and for life in areas that have plenty of badly maintained roads, they are more forgiving. You don't have those ultra high hardness springs in the coilovers.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
The Koni sport yellow are adjustable and the adjustment covers both compression and rebound, to my understanding.
It can therefore match different springs and in theory give you a better feel if not better handling per se, for the factory springs.
The advantage as compared with coilovers is that for non track life and for life in areas that have plenty of badly maintained roads, they are more forgiving. You don't have those ultra high hardness springs in the coilovers.
Well they can match different spring rates, but only a small window. A single damper cannot perform well on a 6k spring and a 16k spring. They have to be matched which is why coilovers that allow for interchangeable springs have to be matched to the spring rate. My Muller MSC Singles for example allow for a 2K max spring rate change.

I have heard good things about Koni yellows, but I'm not sure what spring rate to match them with on a C63 or non AMG W204.

For badly maintained roads or even roads like cobble stone, the damper itself makes a world a difference. I have 9k springs on my single adjustable Mullers, but my buddy has MCS Double Adjustables on his E46 m3 with 16k spring rates, and his feels slightly better than mine with the same tires (Hankook RS3). In other words, spring rate does not necessarily dictate how comfortable the ride will be. It's really all about the dampers ability to "blow off" the smaller and more jarring bumps.

Generally such a ride comes from double adjustables like the KW V3 which for the first time, have spiked my interest. I just don't like how you can't run different spring rates like you can with my Mullers.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Well they can match different spring rates, but only a small window. A single damper cannot perform well on a 6k spring and a 16k spring. They have to be matched which is why coilovers that allow for interchangeable springs have to be matched to the spring rate. My Muller MSC Singles for example allow for a 2K max spring rate change.

I have heard good things about Koni yellows, but I'm not sure what spring rate to match them with on a C63 or non AMG W204.

For badly maintained roads or even roads like cobble stone, the damper itself makes a world a difference. I have 9k springs on my single adjustable Mullers, but my buddy has MCS Double Adjustables on his E46 m3 with 16k spring rates, and his feels slightly better than mine with the same tires (Hankook RS3). In other words, spring rate does not necessarily dictate how comfortable the ride will be. It's really all about the dampers ability to "blow off" the smaller and more jarring bumps.

Generally such a ride comes from double adjustables like the KW V3 which for the first time, have spiked my interest. I just don't like how you can't run different spring rates like you can with my Mullers.

Not sure what units you're using and the Mercedes spring rates knowledge is lacking, so here's an example from the Subaru world:
OEM pring rates, depending on if you have the 227 HP WRX, to the 300 HP 2.5 heavier engine are:

163 lb per inch compression front to 224 lb /in

coilovers are 445 lb/in BC BR
KW V3 are 400 lb/in

But then aftermarket springs are
Tein S Tech 250 lb/in
Tanabe GF210 is 241.

So in general, the aftermarkets in terms of springs hover into +/- 10 lb/in and from the entry level to the top car + 60 lb/in

But going into coilovers doubles the spring rates.

If this were to allow for a conclusion, shocks don't have to adjust in that wide of a range as far as OEM springs, going from one model to another. Even less for aftermarket springs for a given car.

Finding that optimal adjustment is a completely different proposition.

For my Subaru I'm am running Tokico D-Specs.
I've adjusted these on the stiff side and ran them for years. Not that happy with handling on crappy roads, but does great in steady state turns. There is however a noticeable understeer.

So after years of doing this, I turned them a lot softer. Now I feel that understeer is almost dialed out and the car handles imperfections a lot better. It does lean in turns more.
The worst surprise came from brakes however, because the weight transfer is changed a lot, as the car dives. This becomes a front-to-rear adjustment proposition.