C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Larger/Additional Transmission Cooling for C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 228 Likes on 152 Posts
Larger/Additional Transmission Cooling for C63

FL models with MCT: Although its Trans Oil Cooler (the same as in Black Series) is nearly twice the size of a PFL (Torque Converter Transmission) model's Trans Cooler, these MCTs seem to perhaps get angrier and start to shift slower/boggier with prolonged track sessions. And this can occur even with 44O Cooling Package which provides a potentially improved air path to the Trans Cooler after re-orienting Engine Oil Cooler to a flat position, parallel to the ground. I am wondering if this is attributed to increased operating temps of the MCTs, esp while under duress. But I haven't really seen Trans Temp data. Is there a sensor that can check Trans Temp via an app like Torque Pro? (I don't have Torque installed). I have read that there is no such sensor. On my Carly fully licensed diagnostic app, there is no Trans Temp Parameter option, either.

To improve cooling capacity of our MCTs, some of us have tried looking into VATH, as they seem to be the only aftermarket parts maker that offers a Trans Cooler for C63 ( for both PFL and FL).
After multiple emails, I finally received a reply from VATH with photos, dimensions, and mounting installations of their FL Trans Cooler (Part 204.500.V.007).
Please see attached PDF for more info. I will email again for specs (BTU/HR, at what PSI if any were these units tested, etc) as they did not provide them with this email. But after viewing the photo and PDF, I am kinda disappointed.
This appears to be an Additional trans cooler that will be installed in serial connection to the stock trans cooler, and carries a hefty ~$800 price tag before shipping, etc. Dimensions quoted for their FL Trans Cooler below: 13.7 x 9.8 x 2.3 inches. (likely this is with the mounting tabs on both sides)

What do you guys think? Vath mounting instructions places this on the passenger side/upper position, which will partially block the Power Steering Cooler (reports of possible Power Steering fluid overheating exist). Where else would you mount it to further optimize airflow? A nice aspect of the Vath unit is the 90 Degree connections, but I am sure we can find similar connections elsewhere.
I understand the Trans Fluid needs to be at a specific operating temperature in order for the Trans Fluid to do its job and for the Multi-Clutches to engage properly, etc, so how an Additional Trans Cooler will affect this, I'm not really sure - it may just require a longer period of driving time to reach that temperature, after which we then can drive more aggressively.

I have been looking at other brands which may work as well, or even better: (Hayden, B&M, Derale) and at a fraction of the cost. It seems Stacked Plate oil cooler designs are more efficient than the other Plate/Fin and Tube/Fin designs.
Do you guys have recommendations on other oil cooler Brands that may be better constructed and more efficient?

Below is a photo of the Hayden Heavy Duty Units - altho they are not Stacked Plate design, they seem very robust, carry a 2 year warranty, and are only ~$100-130, not including connectors:

Attached Files

Last edited by MBNRG; 10-11-2017 at 01:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBNRG:
BadCompany (10-10-2017), BLKROKT (02-03-2018), NotABaller (10-11-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You could put that in drivers side small opening. Would rather just get a larger main one to be honest. Winter project.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
You could put that in drivers side small opening. Would rather just get a larger main one to be honest. Winter project.
Yeah, I'm with you - we were hoping the VATH unit would be a larger main trans cooler to replace the stocker, but no such luck. I contacted Fluid Motor Union and they said they don't offer a larger trans cooler at this time. Perhaps you'll get a different reply, if we show more are interested.

An additional trans cooler could perhaps also fit into that driver's side wheel arch, we may just have to move the Air Pump and Horns a bit, and cut out the stock grill to accommodate airflow.

The other option is what Weistec did with JRCART's BS - the dual fan cooler in the rear can either be for the trans, or for the diff. . . interesting:
http://www.*********.com/showthread....3-Black-Series

Last edited by MBNRG; 10-10-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Yeah, I'm with you - we were hoping the VATH unit would be a larger main trans cooler to replace the stocker, but no such luck. I contacted Fluid Motor Union and they said they don't offer a larger trans cooler at this time. Perhaps you'll get a different reply, if we show more are interested.

An additional trans cooler could perhaps also fit into that driver's side wheel arch, we may just have to move the Air Pump and Horns a bit, and cut out the stock grill to accommodate airflow.

The other option is what Weistec did with JRCART's BS - the dual fan cooler in the rear can either be for the trans, or for the diff. . . interesting:
http://www.*********.com/showthread....3-Black-Series
what is the mistery xxxx site?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by KOSMOS
what is the mistery xxxx site?
Benz Boost. (All one word). It’s blocked out by the forum for a reason I don’t know. Same thing happens on bimmerpost.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
That unit in the picture made no sense to me.
On one side of the hose it has hydraulic fittings that seem to be machine crimped and good for 200 PSI, on the other it has hose worm clamps that are good for 100 PSI. Now the 100 PSI has a lot of fineprint.
One being that a worm clamp loosens with heat. A spring clamp remains tight with heat, but does not go anywhere near 100 PSI.
In other words, there can be a possibility if what circulates in there is at 150 PSI and 230F, that it may spit the hose.

I researched this when I started to mess around with oil radiators.
The dangers are two fold:
at 150 PSI, you'll drain the transmission in less than a minute and you don't have a transmission oil pressue gauge in the dash, nor is there a low pressure light
if you're at the track and the oil goes on top of the red hot converters, there can be an oil fire.

I have not looked yet at the factory hoses, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all hydraulic fittings, machine crimped.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vladds:
BLKROKT (10-11-2017), MBNRG (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
Benz Boost. (All one word). It’s blocked out by the forum for a reason I don’t know. Same thing happens on bimmerpost.
For poaching subscribers from this site and Internet Brands.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
Amazon Amazon
I got one of these for the time being and having it installed as we speak ( given there is enough space). Also going to track this weekend, so can report back.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cli63
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got one of these for the time being and having it installed as we speak ( given there is enough space). Also going to track this weekend, so can report back.
Where are you placing it?
Another option is connecting a larger trans cooler to the Weistec Trans Pan, have it installed under trunk/spare tire region, and have a single or dual fan cooling this additional cooler.
This mounting option will avoid any interference with airflow in the front grills.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:02 PM

But I haven't really seen Trans Temp data. Is there a sensor that can check Trans Temp via an app like Torque Pro? (I don't have Torque installed). I have read that there is no such sensor. On my Carly fully licensed diagnostic app, there is no Trans Temp Parameter option, either.
I was mistaken. It is confirmed that there is a Trans Temp sensor that can be accessed via Torque Pro by adding the Chrysler OBD2 PIDS (thank you Mike K). I will ask the Carly for MB developers to add this parameter to their app.
If anyone knows how to enable Trans Temp readout in the gauge cluster via perhaps MB Star Diagnostic, etc, please let us know.

Torque Pro Trans Temp

Last edited by MBNRG; 10-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
Where are you placing it?
Another option is connecting a larger trans cooler to the Weistec Trans Pan, have it installed under trunk/spare tire region, and have a single or dual fan cooling this additional cooler.
This mounting option will avoid any interference with airflow in the front grills.
Unfortunately I did not end up installing the cooler. It is doable but would take more time than what we had. As for placement it is very feasible to put it at the front grill in front of the radiator. That's not an option for me since that's where the intercooler for the mag kit goes.