Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for instructions to remove rear seat backs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Looking for instructions to remove rear seat backs

Trying to remove the back of the folding rear seats in a c63 sedan, seems to be no obvious slips or screws and can't see anyway to get them apart - trying to get to the rear center seat belt.

Anyone have an instructions?

Much appreciated!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 239 Likes on 160 Posts
The PDF below is for the coupe with the 2 rear seats, but it may be of some assistance, and should be self explanatory with photos, etc.
IIRC, the seatbelts were accessible after removal of rear bottom seat cushion in my coupe, but may be different in the sedan.

This video is of a sedan rear seat removal (non-folding), but may also help:
Attached Files
Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Thanks, my issue is the sedan has a center retractor for the center seat belt and it is mounted inside the seat back at the top. The Seat folds down and then I have to remove the back cover to get to the retractor,

rob
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
I paid a guy at a indie body shop $20 to remove mine. I managed a partial delete but then got to the point where I didn't have the right tool (size) and felt the under the table transaction would be easy and effective. I've had the rear seats out for about two years now.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, I need to reword this I think. I don't need to remove the rear seat backs I need to remove the back of the rear seat back, so if you fold the seat down in the sedan, I need to take it apart, remove the backing panel on the seat back to get inside it to remove the seatbelt tensioner.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Oops, my bad. I was perusing the forum while on a phone call and didn't read closely enough. Although, maybe a body shop guy would know this answer afterall?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Oops, my bad. I was perusing the forum while on a phone call and didn't read closely enough. Although, maybe a body shop guy would know this answer afterall?
No I read it again and it sounded like just removing the backs of the seat - wish I could change the title, but forum won't let me.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, 2013 Audi S4
any luck removing the back of the rear seats for belt fix?

Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Trying to remove the back of the folding rear seats in a c63 sedan, seems to be no obvious slips or screws and can't see anyway to get them apart - trying to get to the rear center seat belt.

Anyone have an instructions?

Much appreciated!
As I was wiping the rear sears with leather cleaner/conditioner, the middle seat belt gave no release. After trying to let some release on the belt to reset (even removing the tab to prevent so much slack taken up), the tug would not reset. Now, I've got a rear seat that will not return to its original position. There's no release on the belt. Did you have any luck resetting the seat belt?
Old 09-30-2023, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Draven69
As I was wiping the rear sears with leather cleaner/conditioner, the middle seat belt gave no release. After trying to let some release on the belt to reset (even removing the tab to prevent so much slack taken up), the tug would not reset. Now, I've got a rear seat that will not return to its original position. There's no release on the belt. Did you have any luck resetting the seat belt?
I gave up and never took the center belt out to change the color as I could never figure it out and then sold the car.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C250 CDI
Sorry for the bump, this is the only thread I can find on this forum (and indeed, on the internet) about this topic..

Has anyone ever figured out how to do this or have any advice on it? I have the same situation as the OP had: I’m retrofitting new seatbelts and have managed to install them on all of the seats except the rear centre. This one is different as the retractor/pretensioner is built into the seat back itself and I’m struggling to get access to it.

Any thoughts appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
K3LzPXbz-KjQ2Yr (12-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, 2013 Audi S4
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I gave up and never took the center belt out to change the color as I could never figure it out and then sold the car.
Thanks for the reply, RoadKillRob. Apologies for the delay in responding. After speaking with the stealership (which they were surprised to have seen this happen in the first place), I went to an upholstery shop after voting on a Tuesday. Amongst the three of us, here is what worked best to reset the seat belt: 1. Remove the lower bench seat cushion. 2. Using a 45 or 46 torx male socket (can't remember the size), remove the lower seat belt fastener from the middle chasis bench frame. 3. Since the seat belt strap button tab was previously removed from the strap, as soon as enough slack was given, the belt tensioner reset itself. 4. With the upper seat portion in the upright position, re-install a new seat belt strap button tab (or else when placing the seats down in the future, the seat belt will get stuck again). 5. Re-install the lower sear belt fastener and the rear bench seat cushion. There's a previous mention of a similar instance which happened on a ML series in the forum using the same remedy for the same stuck belt issue. Thanks once more RKR for responding promptly and with courtesy.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C250 CDI
As it happens I finally got around to doing this myself yesterday (replacing the rear centre seatbelt, as opposed to fixing a damaged one). It was a bit awkward and time consuming but ultimately not that difficult. In summary you have to do the following (with the applicable MB service instructions set out for reference):

1. Remove the left/centre rear seat back from the car (which involves first removing the rear bench seat and left bolster): AR91.12-P-1720CW

2. Remove the arm rest from the seat back: AR91.12-P-1750CW

3. Remove the back panel and seat cover from the seat back (although I found I didn’t have to fully remove the cover, only enough so that you can reach under it and access the seat belt retractor at the top, which meant I didn’t have to remove the headrest guides from the seat): AR91.18-P-1874CW

4. Remove and replace the seat belt: AR91.40-P-0683CW

So finally I now have a full set of the red “Sport Plus” seatbelts retrofitted, with my OCD no longer triggered by the lone black seatbelt in the centre!

Last edited by CitizenKane; 01-10-2024 at 03:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CitizenKane:
AMGSPY (01-10-2024), Joshinator99 (01-10-2024)