Upper radiator hose failure - 90,000km

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Sedan, 2015 GLK350
Upper radiator hose failure - 90,000km

[left]
Hi everyone, so I was sitting idling in my parking spot before the train arrives as per usual in this chilly weather, was about -8.5 celceius and oil temps were around 105 and coolant around 10 or so degrees less. Nothing out of the ordinary for my operating conditiongs.

All of a a sudden I hear a “POP!” and see white smoke so I immediately shutdown and get out to inspect. Get to the front of the car and at this point huge puddle has formed and I can see what seems like all my cooolant has evacuated the system. Pop the hood to try and get a closer look and theres coolant all over the front passenger side of the vehicle. I’ve attached some picture of the initial scene. Pretty hard to tell what happened from pictures.

After having it towed to the nearest dealer for a diagnosis. Now here’s bad news the SA comes back and lets me know it won’t be covered under warranty because the upper radiator hose is not a part covered under the MB ELW. The hose itself is fine but the “flange” on the hose is not allowing it to be clamped back to the radiator from what I can understand from the description provided by the SA the whole part being one single piece. I wanted to see everyone else expirence with this type of repair and if they have been successful and having MB warranty this type of issue. As per ELW metal line and fittings are covered. Would you consider this a metal fitting?

Has anyone else run into a upper radiator hose failure before 5 years and 100,000km? What would cause this hose to pop off, failed thermostat or overfill resivoir?

Thanks,

Patel

Leaked out this way

Overflow resivoir

Engine front. Radiator to left.

Most of fluid pooled here and on under tray

Last edited by Patel; 01-08-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
It's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the hose on the left hand side (if you're looking at the car). Correct?
If so, that pipe isn't expensive and is easy to change, as it connects onto another pipe if my memory serves me correctly.

I had bad luck where the rhs upper pipe had the same issue where the metal coupling lost its shape. It is a much bigger job as that one goes to the motor, and there's a bunch of pipes to remove to get it out from the motor side. My car had 58000km on it, and I was having radiator issues, so I think that caused it to pop out and damaged that metal piece.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It's a rubber hose, so by definition not made of metal regardless of what you may consider it to be made of... but it's just a freakin' hose. It's a wear-and-tear item by definition and a relatively cheap one at that. Why exactly are you whining?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM

I’ve already approved having the repairs done, more just to see if anyone’s had this failure before on a daily driver and under warranty or not. Maybe someone might have a clue as to what caused it literally to pop not show up as a leak or something. More for preventative for future investigation if the cooling system needs refreshing or investigation further
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Patel
I’ve already approved having the repairs done, more just to see if anyone’s had this failure before on a daily driver and under warranty or not. Maybe someone might have a clue as to what caused it literally to pop not show up as a leak or something. More for preventative for future investigation if the cooling system needs refreshing or investigation further
It’s one of the most common car problems there is. Ever. Across all makes and models. Radiator hoses pop all the time in this kind of weather. Don’t stress out about it, you can be about 99.99% sure that nothing more is wrong.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Don't worry about it. The same thing happened to my ML recently. I was driving close to my home, when I got the "low coolant" warning of death, where I started thinking about the head bolts. Luckily I found a very long trail of coolant. The lower hose that goes to the pump is leaking. The car is still in the workshop > three weeks for a F'ing hose. Not in stock in GCC or the US, it has to be ordered from Germany.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the confirmation guys, as long as it wasn’t like bubbbles or something. Looks like at least I’ll get to wait new interval for coolant.

Ya I’m was just lucky to get my car in the shop with all the back log due to winter.

Patel
Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
Beware also of the lower rubber hose in the bottom of the radiator. It is attached to a plastic adaptor with a kind of clamp that is non adjustable, and just sits round the rubber hose with the factory mounting, without any tightening options.

This morning the rubber hose had become deattached from the plastic adaptor (probably because off pressure in the system when parking the vehicle), and all my coolant had run out of the radiator/motor.

My mechanic fixed it by applying an adjustable clamp instead to make sure that the rubber hose will stay attached to the adaptor, also under pressure.

Could have caused a catastrophic engine failure, all because of this cheap factory solution on such a vital clamp, so please replace the factory non adjustable clamp with an adjustable clamp before it fails.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianC63 (11-02-2019)