Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged c63 AMG?

 
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 112
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2012 AMS Tuned E63 AMG, 2011 S550 4-Matic
Supercharged c63 AMG?

I have decided that my next car will definitely be a 2012 and up mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG. I definitely want to do a lot of upgrades and modifications and I know that full bolt on naturally aspirated it can make almost 500 wheel horsepower. I have been reading a lot about the supercharger kits available for this car. They are really expensive to say the least. The cheapest one is the Magnuson supercharger, coming in at almost $8700. I understand most of this cost is just the Mercedes-Benz tax. Look at American cars and supercharger kits available for them, and they are considerably less expensive. Notable examples would be supercharger kits for mustangs, and Cadillac CTS V's. My question is what is the reliability of a supercharged 2012 and up C 63 AMG? What kind of power is it expected to make? And to my knowledge I don't believe the facelifted C 63's are affected by the Head bolt issue but idk. Finally I wanted to know if anyone has tried to fabricate their own super charger Kit for a lot cheaper of a price, such as taking a E55 supercharger and trying to bolted onto a C 63 even though there is a lot of work to be done?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Mr-AMG is offline  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Savage-wp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 776
Liked 101 Times in 86 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
The face-lift 63's do not have the headbolts issues.
Guys with chargers have been running for years with no issues, so the cars are still very reliable if you fit one of the off the shelf kits.
Most guys seem to be running the Weistec system.
Savage-wp is offline  
The following users liked this post: Savage-wp
Mr-AMG (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:04 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Southways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 205
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
FYI, the Magnuson "Tuner Kit" is now only $7999 but is not supplied with calibration as there are many tuners doing custom calibrations (OE Tuning etc).
To compare the cost of most aftermarket AMG performance components to the cost of <say> Mustang or Camaro products fails to consider the limited volumes of AMG's compared to many other brands... and that the cost to develop products is more because purchasing the car & ancillary components costs more, therefore the amortisation of development & tooling is more per product.
It is just math, not tax.

Fabricating your own kit is ambitiously brave - I genuinely wish you luck if you decide to go that route, but suggest you do a lot of research & planning in advance. If you value your time, it will not be cheap.
Southways is offline  
Old 01-16-2018, 04:51 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
mr747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,124
Liked 117 Times in 93 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by Mr-AMG View Post
I have decided that my next car will definitely be a 2012 and up mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG. I definitely want to do a lot of upgrades and modifications and I know that full bolt on naturally aspirated it can make almost 500 wheel horsepower. I have been reading a lot about the supercharger kits available for this car. They are really expensive to say the least. The cheapest one is the Magnuson supercharger, coming in at almost $8700. I understand most of this cost is just the Mercedes-Benz tax. Look at American cars and supercharger kits available for them, and they are considerably less expensive. Notable examples would be supercharger kits for mustangs, and Cadillac CTS V's. My question is what is the reliability of a supercharged 2012 and up C 63 AMG? What kind of power is it expected to make? And to my knowledge I don't believe the facelifted C 63's are affected by the Head bolt issue but idk. Finally I wanted to know if anyone has tried to fabricate their own super charger Kit for a lot cheaper of a price, such as taking a E55 supercharger and trying to bolted onto a C 63 even though there is a lot of work to be done?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
go with a proven product and dont take short cuts

Yeah you might of paid 20k for your c63 but try and replace a engine for half of that

good luck
mr747 is offline  
The following users liked this post: mr747
Mr-AMG (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 112
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2012 AMS Tuned E63 AMG, 2011 S550 4-Matic
a lot of what your saying is true, but I still think its a MB tax. the m156 engine is in a lot of MB models and definitely is not limited production. they built tens of thousands of AMGS with that motor over its 5 year+ history. I didn't say I would fab my own kit but was curious if anyone had, because most superchargers on the market today for the c63 are whipple or eaton based units anyway.
Mr-AMG is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Southways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 205
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Originally Posted by Mr-AMG View Post
a lot of what your saying is true, but I still think its a MB tax. the m156 engine is in a lot of MB models and definitely is not limited production. they built tens of thousands of AMGS with that motor over its 5 year+ history. I didn't say I would fab my own kit but was curious if anyone had, because most superchargers on the market today for the c63 are whipple or eaton based units anyway.
I can personally guarantee that the Magnuson Hammer kit is not MB-taxed.
As best as I can establish, there was approximately 40,000 M156 C63's built over the 7 model-years. There were over 500,000 Camaros built from 2010 to 2016. The ratio of supercharged AMG's to supercharged Camaros supercharged is small - most AMG's are not modified, most Camaros are.
BTW... The CTS-V kit that you referenced earlier is an upgrade for a factory-supercharged vehicle, so the CTS-V/ZL1 kit does not include the front mount radiator, wiring, injectors, fuel-rail, pump, etc.

Not looking for an argument, just making sure that the facts are stated so that myths do not become gospel.
Southways is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:11 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 112
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2012 AMS Tuned E63 AMG, 2011 S550 4-Matic
the magnusun supercharger is a 2.3l eaton based unit that is in many many cars and is avlble widely in the aftermarket realm. yes there where more cameros made but 40,000 m156 engined cars is not a small number. i don't think saying most AMGS are stock is true ether TBH. further more go to ESS tuning and see how cheap the BMW supercharger kits are, as low as 4995. but superchargers are just a small product in the MB tax problem. and I'm not looking for an argument ether.
Mr-AMG is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,301
Liked 52 Times in 50 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by Mr-AMG View Post
the magnusun supercharger is a 2.3l eaton based unit that is in many many cars and is avlble widely in the aftermarket realm. yes there where more cameros made but 40,000 m156 engined cars is not a small number. i don't think saying most AMGS are stock is true ether TBH. further more go to ESS tuning and see how cheap the BMW supercharger kits are, as low as 4995. but superchargers are just a small product in the MB tax problem. and I'm not looking for an argument ether.
Honestly, I do think that most AMGs remain stock, especially as far as major engine work (SC, turbo, NOS, etc) until they are at least a few years old. I don't think that is true with Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. At least not to such a degree. And ESS and Magnusun's kit's are pretty similarly priced. You could probably go buy that Whipple or Eaton core for a very low cost, but designing the housing, intercooler system, and intake manifold is another story.

ESS has been doing BMW superchargers for a very long time. I bet when that kit that is $5k now came out, or when the first kit came out for that car, it was not originally $5k. Also, a lot of the superchargers they do for BMWs are centrifugal units, which can be sold at a lower cost than positive displacement units.

Now, if someone could fit a ProCharger in a C63...
G_Money is online now  
The following users liked this post: G_Money
Mr-AMG (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM
  #9  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 13,449
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
haters crazy
Check out ESS as well. Same Whipple 2.9L as weistec at a lower cost and looks like better cooling. I just installed one on my C63.
blackbenzz is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,301
Liked 52 Times in 50 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
Check out ESS as well. Same Whipple 2.9L as weistec at a lower cost and looks like better cooling. I just installed one on my C63.
Does ESS have different pulleys/psi available?
G_Money is online now  
Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM
  #11  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 13,449
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Does ESS have different pulleys/psi available?
Yes they do. I opted for the 8psi pulley now (6psi also available). I have talked to them about making even higher boost pulleys and they are in the process of developing them
blackbenzz is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,301
Liked 52 Times in 50 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
Yes they do. I opted for the 8psi pulley now (6psi also available). I have talked to them about making even higher boost pulleys and they are in the process of developing them
Ahh, i see that on their website now. Which pulley were they using when theygot 577 in their car? What are you getting with the 8psi pulley? Do you have headers?
G_Money is online now  
Old 01-18-2018, 02:13 PM
  #13  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 13,449
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Ahh, i see that on their website now. Which pulley were they using when theygot 577 in their car? What are you getting with the 8psi pulley? Do you have headers?
They made 577whp with stock manifolds. I'm not sure which pulley though. I have MBH headers on mine. I literally just got done installing it so no after numbers yet. Will be at the track in March hopefully. Already rented it but fingers crossed on weather.
blackbenzz is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Cozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 184
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
They made 577whp with stock manifolds. I'm not sure which pulley though. I have MBH headers on mine. I literally just got done installing it so no after numbers yet. Will be at the track in March hopefully. Already rented it but fingers crossed on weather.
Keep us updated .
Cozy is offline  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 148
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
They made 577whp with stock manifolds. I'm not sure which pulley though. I have MBH headers on mine. I literally just got done installing it so no after numbers yet. Will be at the track in March hopefully. Already rented it but fingers crossed on weather.
how long did the install take?
what were the instructions like?
what did you do about tuning?
And costs?
can pm if you want
Brunty88 is offline  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM
  #16  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 13,449
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Brunty88 View Post


how long did the install take?
what were the instructions like?
what did you do about tuning?
And costs?
can pm if you want
I did it a small bit at a time but I'd say a full day or two should be enough.
Instructions were lacking to be honest. I might do a write up.
ESS provided tune
Costs of what?
blackbenzz is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 148
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
I did it a small bit at a time but I'd say a full day or two should be enough.
Instructions were lacking to be honest. I might do a write up.
ESS provided tune
Costs of what?
costs of the kit
any specific tools if any required
was the tune supplied via obd or you have to take it for a live tune
Brunty88 is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM
  #18  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 13,449
Liked 67 Times in 54 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Brunty88 View Post


costs of the kit
any specific tools if any required
was the tune supplied via obd or you have to take it for a live tune
The ESS kit with injectors and tune are $8,995 retail

Tools are required to install. Nothing out of the ordinary if you are used to working on Mercedes.

I sent the ECU to ESS for tune
blackbenzz is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 05:00 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 148
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by blackbenzz View Post
The ESS kit with injectors and tune are $8,995 retail

Tools are required to install. Nothing out of the ordinary if you are used to working on Mercedes.

I sent the ECU to ESS for tune
hmmmm
i wonder how much shipping would be to the uk?
Brunty88 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Supercharged c63 AMG?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: