Center Rear Brake Light Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Center Rear Brake Light Issues.

2009 C63 AMG
My right license plate lamp will not work, center brake light "flashes" when pressing the brake, only twice and then it will not turn on again.
Reverse lights seem to be affected too, they flash for about two second and turn of for about 5 sec and it repeats.
Making it dangerous at night when trying to reverse into my garage. So, stopped driving it. I have a check schedules at the stealership Friday.
I really would like to find the solution before that day comes.
If anyone has the same problem with this same model please, let me know.
I have checked everything that I can in the trunk and everything seems fine.
Replaced the bulbs on all sockets and nothing has changed.
I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Center Rear Brake Light Issues.-photo176.jpg   Center Rear Brake Light Issues.-photo788.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
There is a recall on the rear brake lights. Maybe it hasn't been done on your car. If you look at the connector on the lights it will be burnt. The ground connection is too weak for the load.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
There is a recall on the rear brake lights. Maybe it hasn't been done on your car. If you look at the connector on the lights it will be burnt. The ground connection is too weak for the load.
Thank you very much!
I will have to take it in after then. Recall should be "free" right?
It wasn't done I have all records of Mercedes and car fax and doesn't show up, unless they don't keep that on record.
Just wondering, is it possible to call and ask to make sure it has a recall? Or do I have to take the car in?
Thanks a lot for the help! I know some of these questions are for the dealer.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Yes it should be free, if it hasn't been completed and 2009s are covered. Probably best to call the dealer and they will be able to confirm from MB records and set up an appointment to get it completed. This may cover all the problems you have been having.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
Yes it should be free, if it hasn't been completed and 2009s are covered. Probably best to call the dealer and they will be able to confirm from MB records and set up an appointment to get it completed. This may cover all the problems you have been having.
I just dropped off the car at the at the dealer.
They did find a recall but had nothing to do with brake lights.
They said it is electrical, maybe it can have something to do with some lights not working.
They are doing the recall and checking the lights after. If they still don't function they want $165 to just get a diagnosis..
I'm waiting on their call, I will post the process hopefully that can be it.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by AMG6N3; 03-30-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Okay, we've experienced these kind of issues in the W211 E55 and E63. It has to do with the wiring loom that located in the trunk hinge, that is consistently bending back and forth each time the trunk is opened and closed.
We've found that it is a broken wire going to either the third brake light, license plate lights and even the automatic trunk opening and closing motors in W211. It should be the same for your car as well, as these wires get brittle then break.
Occasionally working from time to time. I had my tech solder an additional wire in place thus solving my situation, then re-bundle the wires back together. Hope that helps
Old 03-30-2018, 12:08 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Okay, we've experienced these kind of issues in the W211 E55 and E63. It has to do with the wiring loom that located in the trunk hinge, that is consistently bending back and forth each time the trunk is opened and closed.
We've found that it is a broken wire going to either the third brake light, license plate lights and even the automatic trunk opening and closing motors in W211. It should be the same for your car as well, as these wires get brittle then break.
Occasionally working from time to time. I had my tech solder an additional wire in place thus solving my situation, then re-bundle the wires back together. Hope that helps
Okay, this is important because i just got my $165 diagnosis to tell me I just had the wrong bulbs in? And that i just needed a new center brake light? And the right license plate light?
Center brake light $533
Reverse light bulbs $83
ONE! Passenger side light $123???????
Shop fees $44
+tax $800!!
What should I do? I need help I feel ripped off or something, is this right? Is there labor work in those prices? Specially on the one light for my license plate? What dothey mean by light? Bulb?? Or the little plastic cover that just covers the mini bulb? I don't get why so much?

Another thing I need to add, it makes more sense about the wiring because the bulbs light up.
The brake light lights up so I know it works! There is just a faulty connection somewhere! I've even noticed that sometimes, its working and then I brake hard or accelerate fast and then the brake light won't turn on anymore, so that really makes sense.
So I would have paid all that and have the problem still there, would I have gotten my money back? Lmao
How come they didn't catch on that?

Last edited by AMG6N3; 03-30-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:55 PM

C63 AMG
UPDATE: So, I declined their service. They wanted around 850 dollars to just replace 4 light bulbs and center brake light.
I just walked down to their parts department and bought everything that was in that list and needed repair.
All the parts cost me $198.
Compared to their $850.
I had to order my center brake light, by the time I got home the center brake light was on again.
So I immediately cancelled my order since my center brake light works.
All LEDs turn on, and the error message does not come on the display anymore.
I asked if they checked the wiring and they said " of course that is the first thing in our list when we do diagnosis" which cost me $168.
I have replaced all the bulbs myself and brake light works so didn't have a need to replace that.
In the morning, same problem reappears!
I am not paying for another diagnosis, I called hoping they would just take it in again for a more "extended" diagnosis. They worked with me and the second check will be on them.
Makes me thing what the "diagnosis" really is?
I will post another update on this update to see what happens.
All I know is that I will have to start saving up for a huuuggeee bill from them.
If a break light and 4 lights bulbs took me up to $800+! Imagine some wiring harness and labor on that....
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 AM

C63 AMG
Anyone know, what is the relay for the lights? Center brake light
Reverse light relays?
They are getting hot!
Attached Thumbnails Center Rear Brake Light Issues.-photo181.jpg  
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I have the same exact symptoms. Did you ever figure out the problem?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
You should contact someone Edith Xentry. I was playing with this the other day and all those lights can be tested and activated through the SAM for the rear. That can also carry codes to tell you what's wrong.