C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LF: C63 Black Series Strut/Shock Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe, BMW 335xi Frozen Silver
LF: C63 Black Series Strut/Shock Replacement?

Anyone know where I can get a replacement front drivers shock/strut for a C63 Black Series? Mine has started to leak and although KW supplies them to MB, they do not sell the replacement part.

thanks in advance !
Old 04-25-2018, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 188 Posts
C63 AMG
MB Dealer. Another local BS owner in Toronto went through the same issue. You have to buy the MB part.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 BS & Speciale
Better go for the KW DDC , oem suspension is prone to leakage and way too stiff for daily driving
Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by R8lai
Better go for the KW DDC , oem suspension is prone to leakage and way too stiff for daily driving
Besides the DDC, any other suggestions? Clubsports? V3s?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
Pretty sure black series coilovers are just v3’s but obviously black series specced. Id go for clubsports and ask kw to set the rates to black series specs.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
I have Öhlins on my cbs. I do like KW, had their club sport on my old c63. Both brands are great in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Duffer4126 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm gonna bump this thread as I need to change my front struts. I'm prone to buying some aftermarket ones. Can anyone go further on this? I don't usually do track days very often (2-3 times/year maybe, sadly for the lack of a good track), and I kinda like the OEM feeling - pretty stiff if you're going slow, but gives you confidence to enter turns little above average speed. Always playing safe, of course, but you got my point. Would like to know if it's better to leave it stock (and buying OEM struts) or use the 'opportunity' to do some upgrade (if they are any upgrade at all, as the BS suspension is already better than regular ones).
Old 12-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vpatriota
I'm gonna bump this thread as I need to change my front struts. I'm prone to buying some aftermarket ones. Can anyone go further on this? I don't usually do track days very often (2-3 times/year maybe, sadly for the lack of a good track), and I kinda like the OEM feeling - pretty stiff if you're going slow, but gives you confidence to enter turns little above average speed. Always playing safe, of course, but you got my point. Would like to know if it's better to leave it stock (and buying OEM struts) or use the 'opportunity' to do some upgrade (if they are any upgrade at all, as the BS suspension is already better than regular ones).
My BS in storage for winter at the moment but I still need a shock. Tag team for better deal?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by leungsta

My BS in storage for winter at the moment but I still need a shock. Tag team for better deal?
How many miles are on your cars? Are the leaks coming from the remote reservoir on the strut or the strut itself?

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 12-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by leungsta

I’m planning on buying it around May-June, as my car is not with me right now (it’s in my home town - i’m elsewhere for job purposes). But it’s definitely something to give some thoughts on.

Originally Posted by SuckaGDog

How many miles are on your cars? Are the leaks coming from the remove reservoir on the strut or the strut itself?
Mine’s around 10k miles (22k km). I found the strut to be dirty with what looks like oil, but to be honest, hadn’t had the time to clean it properly and double check if it leaked somehow and that was it, or if it’s still leaking. I don’t know, I probably hit a bump on the road that ruined it, or made it leak? My tech guy says change both front struts..

Last edited by Vpatriota; 12-02-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I am bumping this thread as my rears need replacement. Quite alarming the number of black series owners needing to replace struts given the very modest numbers of CBSs built.
Only MB can supply the part and quoting me $1900 per side just for the strut! + labour.
Outrageous
Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
2012 C63 w204 sedan
Surely anyone who can rebuild KW shocks can do your BS ones?
Old 10-05-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I am bumping this thread as my rears need replacement. Quite alarming the number of black series owners needing to replace struts given the very modest numbers of CBSs built.
Only MB can supply the part and quoting me $1900 per side just for the strut! + labour.
Outrageous

I am going to re-re-bump this old thread. After I spoke with 4 or 5 local indy "trustworthy" shops (yeah, I'm in Brazil, you guys get the point) about my front struts (left has a mild leak, right is ok), that adviced me not to change them at the time, I decided to start studying the case again. The car drives perfectly, I haven't spotted a single change, but comparing pictures from the time and now, it seems that the left one has leaked a little bit more. I've seen somewhere some experienced member mentioning that the BS coilovers are pretty much KW's V2 (if I'm not mistaken - correct me please). Even though I'm a "100% all original" kinda guy, I'm def not paying 3k usd for a pair of front struts when I could buy a whole good quality aftermarket set.

Anyone else would care to share any imput? Regarding driving/reliability and such. I'm not a track rat, I don't daily drive it. Spirited runs during weekends with an eventual longer drive 2-3 times a year. I don't want a supersoft-modern-confortable suspensio, if so I'd just sell the car and buy a Corolla, but I'm not looking for the top-notch track. Something in between would be my choice.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 470 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
KW most certainly made them, I think they are closer to the V3 as they have the remote reservoir. Search around someone tried V3's on their black series and they didn't fit even though kw lists them as fitting but they list the same part for both black series and regular and that isn't right. The clubsport V2 seems to possibly have a black series version and fit but not 100% confirmed.

Vpatriota (10-07-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 06:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
KW may not sell you replacements but they may probably rebuild them as they rebuild all of their suspension kits if you send them in.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 10-06-2021, 09:29 AM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
About a year ago, my front passenger strut was showing some fluid marking around the same areas that everyone is talking about. It looks as if there's a small leak. Nothing drips down and the car was driving normally.
The tech advise us to keep an eye on it and see when it gets worst to replace. 12 months and 6k miles later, we reviewed it again and the "leak" appears to not have changed, i.e. gotten worst. The marking is still exactly the same where it was. My tech believes that it's likely just the excess fluid/grease they had used when installed the struts that we're seeing and not an actual leak.
Vpatriota (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by hachiroku
KW may not sell you replacements but they may probably rebuild them as they rebuild all of their suspension kits if you send them in.
It's an interesting option, but not doable in my case. I'd have to ship them to the US, and to get it back brazilian customs would understand I was importing car parts - which is technically not allowed by law. Even if I could swing it pass it, describing it as something else, with the risk of getting confiscated by authorities, I'd have to pay something around 150-300% taxes on it.

Originally Posted by Lizard
About a year ago, my front passenger strut was showing some fluid marking around the same areas that everyone is talking about. It looks as if there's a small leak. Nothing drips down and the car was driving normally.
The tech advise us to keep an eye on it and see when it gets worst to replace. 12 months and 6k miles later, we reviewed it again and the "leak" appears to not have changed, i.e. gotten worst. The marking is still exactly the same where it was. My tech believes that it's likely just the excess fluid/grease they had used when installed the struts that we're seeing and not an actual leak.
I've heard the very same thing from a personal friend, which is also automotive engineer, but he's not an actual expert on the AMG's and C63. Most of the local indy shops and authorized dealers I've consulted this time told me "yeah you're done, gotta replace them", so that's what got me confused, specially when they change their minds about what to do. In the past they told me not to touch it yet, now they tell me I have to replace them all, even though the marking is virtually the same. I rather believe my friend, that would advice me with the better/safer option. I'm also not sure if it's a good or bad thing to hear similar stories... Oh well, the car is almost 10 year old, I wouldn't be surprised if some more maintenance pops up.

Thank you all for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Vpatriota; 10-07-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 BS & Speciale
i have owned my c63 BS from new and the stock suspension had been replaced 2 times during the warranty period
since then i switched to KW DDC, couldn't be more satisified for the past 5 years
Vpatriota (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 470 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I also think there is a thread around somewhere with someone who contact KW and they would not service them even thought they technically could probably something in the agreement with mercedes.
Vpatriota (10-07-2021)