Help me love my Merc!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 P31
Help me love my Merc!

Hello all. Im a new member. Here is my story

I live in Dubai and have owned many sports cars. My last was an E92 M3 which i daily drove and tracked like no tomorrow for over 2 years. The car was just perfect and never had a single fault pushing over 70k Miles.

I bought my 2013 C63 p31 3 months back and i have to say...im not that happy. I really want to like this car and i hope u can guide me to deal with some of the issues im facing.

1- Transmission: i know there are many posts about this. The shifts in Comfort are jurky. Get off the gas ans back on and it feels that the car is almost misfiring as it shakes before it goes again. Driving it on S is a bit smoother but not as good as i expected a Mercedes gearbox to be. At the track (Yas Marina F1 Circuit) the up shifts at high rpm are too violent. Like the car doesnt want to shift but is being forced. Goes without saying the transmission overheated after a few hot laps and went back to auto then total limp mode.
Ive done all the checkup and my tranny has no issues, i even changed the oil (came down clean) and reset the software. No change.
Any proper softwares i can update to the transmission? Its really its Achilles heal.

2- lots of cabin noise: this is an issue specific to my car most probably. Anything over 100kmph and i hear wind noise. Seems there is a leak but cant seem to trace it. Maybe around the windsheild but its hard to find it. Any suggestions?
Also road noise is high. I put new Pzeros and still it seems that the car doesnt insulate noise well.
3- Reverse camera doesnt have lines. I read some can be updated to add them. Not sure how...
4- This is just a dissapointment not a complain. Top of the range merc with performance package has no LSD?! Im looking into getting the wavetrac soon after resolving the other issues.

I had big plans for the car when i got it but we r just not vibing . Im not comparing to the bmw but one way or another i expected it to be an upgrade especially that its 4 years newer than my E92.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Enjoy the car on the street. ;-) That's where it belongs.

It can be a decent track car when the weather isn't warm, but it doesn't have enough cooling. Try the GT if you want a Mercedes track car, or a W205 C63.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by RamziA

I live in Dubai and have owned many sports cars. My last was an E92 M3 which i daily drove and tracked like no tomorrow for over 2 years. The car was just perfect and never had a single fault pushing over 70k Miles.

I bought my 2013 C63 p31 3 months back and i have to say...im not that happy. I really want to like this car and i hope u can guide me to deal with some of the issues im facing.

1- Transmission: i know there are many posts about this. The shifts in Comfort are jurky. Get off the gas ans back on and it feels that the car is almost misfiring as it shakes before it goes again. Driving it on S is a bit smoother but not as good as i expected a Mercedes gearbox to be. At the track (Yas Marina F1 Circuit) the up shifts at high rpm are too violent. Like the car doesnt want to shift but is being forced. Goes without saying the transmission overheated after a few hot laps and went back to auto then total limp mode.
Ive done all the checkup and my tranny has no issues, i even changed the oil (came down clean) and reset the software. No change.
Any proper softwares i can update to the transmission? Its really its Achilles heal.

2- lots of cabin noise: this is an issue specific to my car most probably. Anything over 100kmph and i hear wind noise. Seems there is a leak but cant seem to trace it. Maybe around the windsheild but its hard to find it. Any suggestions?
Also road noise is high. I put new Pzeros and still it seems that the car doesnt insulate noise well.
3- Reverse camera doesnt have lines. I read some can be updated to add them. Not sure how...
4- This is just a dissapointment not a complain. Top of the range merc with performance package has no LSD?! Im looking into getting the wavetrac soon after resolving the other issues.

I had big plans for the car when i got it but we r just not vibing . Im not comparing to the bmw but one way or another i expected it to be an upgrade especially that its 4 years newer than my E92.

Thanks for the feedback.
1. In comfort they are jerky??? Try resetting the TCU (shown below) or get Eurocharged Tune. Go through all your modes on the dial C, S, S+, M. Put the car in sport mode or even turn off the traction control. Play around with it some before being too depress about it.
  • Turn the igniiton key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.
  • Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.
  • Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.
The TCU reset procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.

2. Does your car have a sunroof or are your rear seats down? My car sounds like a padded room, can hear a pindrop. This car really dampens sound. Yes it has it creeks and noises but nothing too bad.
3. No way to update it, just have to deal with the no lines or add an aftermarket one.
4. Agreed, Lots of people did not add that on to their build and some never had the option. Easy to install an aftermarket one though.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 p31 coupe, Clk550 cab, M3 coupe, LS430, 750LI
If the torqueless m3 was perfect you should have kept it. This is a german muscle car that can handle if you need it to.
1. Get used to it.
2. Sounds like an individual problem
3. Only lines you need, are some "caspa del diablo"
4. You answered your own gripe.
Enjoy the superior car and quit whining.
*Disclaimer Not taking shots, it just is what it is.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
The latest 7g software update makes the box much nicer overall. Especially in comfort.

Can't help with the others.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 C63
I complain about no LSD on these things every chance I get. It should be standard equipment. I put one in from a wrecked BS and now it handles properly. One wheel peeler with 450tq....thats a bean counter move all the way...car is much more of a deathtrap without LSD...

I love the backup cameras with the lines.However $50K was alot Cheaper than $85K...Oh well, my next car will have it...

Ive been trying to find a whistling noise that starts around 45 to about 57mph since i got the car like 1.5 years ago. Stereo rattles the back when Bass is up...parts have been replaced but after a little while it comes back. Just stay patient and keep bringing it back. If by the third time its not fixed, bring it in for that issue only and dont give up the loaner until your satisfied...prolly missing a couple hundered horsepower but they might have those nav lines you like. WIN WIN.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Your gearbox issues definitely does not sound normal.

My gearbox was absolutely smooth in C, and had abit of a jolt in S or M, but a nice jolt so you could feel it, but not unsettling in any way.
That vibration type of thing you experience also doesn't sound healthy.
The way your gearbox is behaving sounds exactly like mine did when I had an issue where some coolant ended up in the gearbox.
Difficult to help with that though, as I just sold the car and didn't bother finding what broke. And the fact that you went through the normal fault finding procedure makes it more difficult, but I would say there definitely is an issue.

Regarding the wind noise, mine was absolutely silent when all windows and sunroof was closed, so definitely an issue.

Try search the forum to find the cooling kit that a lot of the track guys are using, should help a lot.

P.S: where the pics at??
Old 05-02-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If your grill has been modified look for the thin rubbery seal between the grill trim on the hood and the hood. If it is missing it can cause some wind noise.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 P31
Thank u so much guys for the feedback. Plz
keep it coming!

Regarding the gearbox, i have researched it alot and it seems to be a common thinf. Many threads on this forum also talk about it with many driving the car always in S mode to make it less jurky. I will look up the software updates u guys recommended. Its mainly in low speeds between the first 2 gears up and down.

The wind noise is probably a seal around the windsheild. Will get it checked this week.

Funally, anyone installed the wavetrac LSD? Any recommendations as it seems the most cost efficient option and well reviewed online.

Took some pics wen i first got it. Now it has refurbished rims and a proper polish. Will post track videos soon.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Nice car Ramzi!

There are lots of threads on lsd, some useless, some with good info. Here's one

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/435694-wavetrac-vs-quaife-lsd.html
Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by RamziA

Thanks for the feedback.
I love the E92 as well but it's not enough power and that 4.0 engine is not tunable to be able to give out more TQ or HP. It also has seal issues, but it's a well balanced car with a fantastic transmission. But the AMG has many advantages over it, power and TQ being the main ones and the interior is miles better. If the M3 had more power Id probably be in that car, but you have to supercharge it to make any good numbers.
Your transmission should not be jerky in comfort mode at all. Look for bad fluid or wrong fluid. It's not a race tranny, but I think you can now get software for this. I'd like to know where to get it myself. Get a tranny cooler. Easy to install and will prevent overheating. Larger vented pans also help a great deal.
I always found the E92 to have more cabin noise, but less engine noise. The AMG is a bigger badder engine and it's exhaust from the factory is on the loud side. This to me is a good thing. If you have a leak, check for car accident history. Maybe something is bent and shifted the roof or something else to give it noise. That's not normal either.
My rear camera doesn't have lines either but my GLK 350 does have the lines in the rear camera and it's nice, but not a deal breaker. Just get used to it.
Get a wavetrack LSD. WAY WORTH IT. It's a joke that these cars didn't come standard with one.
Get a V5 tune from Eurocharger for the engine. Easy 50hp 20lb tq. They claim more but it's not.
You may need to spend a few bucks to personalise your car, but when you do it's way worth it. Enjoy the power. Good luck.