C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 hesitant to rev in neutral whilst driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
C63 hesitant to rev in neutral whilst driving?

hi guys

Hope your all good and well reading this. I have recently purchased the w204 c63. I was wondering if it is normal for there to be a delay of revs when slipping the car into neutral when driving. For example I would be in a tunnel cruising slip the car into neutral to hear some noise and the car would not respond to me pushing the gas pedal until after a good 20 seconds or so and even then it would only let me rev it once. If I am stopped it would be fine. Other problems do include a rough idle and rattle from the engine bay on a cold start. advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Ok how about you just don’t try the rev in neutral problem fixed. The noise on startup is the cam adjusters. Very common. No fix that I’ve seen. I have the sound with no fix and I replaced them. Been 3 1/2 years of ownership like this. No issues. The rough idle. How rough? Like bouncing all over? If noT It’s a v8. Not a 4 cylinder. You might not be used to it. Or check your motor mounts.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Considering you're probably going in at least 3rd gear speed and shifting from neutral and then back to first, you could cause damage to your engine, so I wouldn't do that. That's kind of a manual trans thing so you can pick gears.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 p31 coupe, Clk550 cab, M3 coupe, LS430, 750LI
Dude (I'm assuming), thats sooooooo gaayyy. Downshift and let it rip. Problem solved!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by NA-C63
hi guys

Hope your all good and well reading this. I have recently purchased the w204 c63. I was wondering if it is normal for there to be a delay of revs when slipping the car into neutral when driving. For example I would be in a tunnel cruising slip the car into neutral to hear some noise and the car would not respond to me pushing the gas pedal until after a good 20 seconds or so and even then it would only let me rev it once. If I am stopped it would be fine. Other problems do include a rough idle and rattle from the engine bay on a cold start. advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If you put the car into neutral while driving and rev, wait for the revs to die back down before slipping back into D. That being said, you really shouldn't be doing this if you're unfamiliar as to how your engine and transmission work. The reason the car has a delay after putting the car back into drive is because your car is waiting for the revs to die down before re-engaging the clutch. Revving the car then immediately putting it back into drive would be the equivalent as dropping the clutch in a manual trans (if your trans were to engage immediately after putting it into D). Your MCT has a delay to avoid damaging the transmission and drivetrain components from it slamming back into gear. As far as the delay of revs after slipping the car into neutral, my guess is that the car waits for a driver reaction to put it back into D for a second or two just in case they accidentally put it in neutral.

Any check engine light for the rough idle?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:01 AM

C63
Thank you for all the comments

Old 08-11-2018, 02:04 AM

C63
Originally Posted by curt.r
If you put the car into neutral while driving and rev, wait for the revs to die back down before slipping back into D. That being said, you really shouldn't be doing this if you're unfamiliar as to how your engine and transmission work. The reason the car has a delay after putting the car back into drive is because your car is waiting for the revs to die down before re-engaging the clutch. Revving the car then immediately putting it back into drive would be the equivalent as dropping the clutch in a manual trans (if your trans were to engage immediately after putting it into D). Your MCT has a delay to avoid damaging the transmission and drivetrain components from it slamming back into gear. As far as the delay of revs after slipping the car into neutral, my guess is that the car waits for a driver reaction to put it back into D for a second or two just in case they accidentally put it in neutral.

Any check engine light for the rough idle?
yeah will defo take this on board...Thanks for tips and advice. There’s been no Engine lights so far touchwood.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:09 AM

C63
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Ok how about you just don’t try the rev in neutral problem fixed. The noise on startup is the cam adjusters. Very common. No fix that I’ve seen. I have the sound with no fix and I replaced them. Been 3 1/2 years of ownership like this. No issues. The rough idle. How rough? Like bouncing all over? If noT It’s a v8. Not a 4 cylinder. You might not be used to it. Or check your motor mounts.

you seen quite knoweldgeable buddy. The rough idle is enough for all my passengers to notice it through the seats. I presume that’s the norm as don’t feel it whilst driving only when I’m at a standstill. Thanks for the advice and enlightenment on a few things.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 AM

C63
Originally Posted by SactownP31
Dude (I'm assuming), thats sooooooo gaayyy. Downshift and let it rip. Problem solved!
I’ll do that for sure mate
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan

yeah will defo take this on board...Thanks for tips and advice. There’s been no Engine lights so far touchwood.

you seen quite knoweldgeable buddy. The rough idle is enough for all my passengers to notice it through the seats. I presume that’s the norm as don’t feel it whilst driving only when I’m at a standstill. Thanks for the advice and enlightenment on a few things.
If there's no check engine light and you have a rough idle it could be one of two things:

1. Bad motor mounts (common problem for the w204 c63)
2. It's a v8 Feeling a shake here and there at idle is completely normal with these cars.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Considering you're probably going in at least 3rd gear speed and shifting from neutral and then back to first, you could cause damage to your engine, so I wouldn't do that. That's kind of a manual trans thing so you can pick gears.
lol yeah I wouldn’t slip from 3rd gear speed to neutral back into 1st. That would be silly of me haha.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:19 AM

C63
Originally Posted by curt.r
If there's no check engine light and you have a rough idle it could be one of two things:

1. Bad motor mounts (common problem for the w204 c63)
2. It's a v8 Feeling a shake here and there at idle is completely normal with these cars.

No problem I’ll be sure to ask the dealers to have a look Into it. Got a 2 year warranty so they should be willing to. Thanks for your advice once again it’s greatly appreciated