C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Track day LIMP MODE mystery

Old 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
Track day LIMP MODE mystery

I have done 2 track days in my 2013 C 63 I bought this year, and one autocross in my previous 2011 c-63. Each session with both cars, the car has gone into limp mode ( no power ) after 10-15 min. But I don't think it's oil temp because it happened on 5th run in Auto x on a cool day. There is one common thread. Limp mode kicked in at "extreme" moments. 1st, in auto x, w/ the 2011 after I exited a turn with too much throttle and fish tailed straightening out. On the track it's always been after a hard tight turn at the end of a fast straight, or in one case a big drift. Last week same turn all three sessions. It suggests to me that there's something in the car's computer that kicks in when ( it thinks ) things are getting crazy. A safety device ? It wouldn't seem that Merc. would incl such on a car designed for some buyers/drivers who will take to the track. Does anyone know about this ? If anything can be done ? Had similar experiences? Highest oil temp I saw was a hot track day - 260. This is so frustrating because it's so much fun till it happens, that I'm torn between just taking my Mini to track days or giving them up completely if I can't solve this. I would greatly appreciate your input.

THANKS,

Will

Last edited by wilburfierce; 09-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I was going to point you to the thread below from back in May . . .
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...trol-help.html
but then I realized it was you asking the same question again.

It is definitely not oil temp. 260F oil temp is not enough to trigger limp mode - that happens around 278F.

As I told you in the May post, I had exactly the same symptoms. In my case, I also got an alert on the dash. Restarting the car would immediately clear the problem, but it would happen again the next time I had tire slip at an autocross. Replacing the gas pedal permanently cured it. Here's the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ensor-cel.html
The following users liked this post:
Duffer4126 (07-30-2019)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
W126 500 SEC, W208 CLK55 AMG (TRACK CAR), W163 ML350, W164 ML500, 2009 W204 C63 (TRACK CAR, 190E 2.6
Sounds like the Transmission Oil overheating.
I had a similar problem in my W204 '08, so I installed the Weistec Oil Pan and secondary Oil Cooler (Morosso) in the rear bumper.
If you're doing a lot of tracking it is also a good idea to remove the Tranny Oil Cooler Fan as it impedes air flow at high speeds.
I also ran a secondary Tranny Oil Pump in the trunk.
Also blocking the hot air from the radiator rising into the cold air intakes will help alot.
It may be worthwhile shielding the ABS unit as hot air from the exhaust manifold/extractors will trigger "limp mode".
Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
I've had that happen to me on track when I was in a 4 wheel drift. Not out of control drift, but carrying good speed through the tight T8 & T9 (right-left). I had lateral slide to the right all while the front wheels were pointed perfectly straight towards T9. No oversteer and rear wheels not spinning like a Chris Harris video. I went into limp mode. Took it in to pit lane and turned off the engine and slow counted to five and started it back up and all was fine.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
^ Agree. I’ve had limp mode hit in all kinds of situation (not only with Sactown’s mother).

Seriously though, it’s not just for overheated oil. In my experience, whenever the ECU sees a sensor massively out of scope, it’s going to throw limp mode. 270’ish F for oil, would probably do the same if coolant went off the chart. If you have a massive drift or are accelerating through corners rapidly, unless the TC is totally off, that can screw with ABS/ESC sensors and wheel speed sensors and trip it or cut back power massively until everything’s back within spec. A bad MAF or O2 sensor can do it - MAF out of range is pretty common. I had a couple of random throttle body and misfire codes cause limp mode out of the blue on track just a month ago. I mean, think of all the sensors for steering input, throttle, yaw, ABS, not to mention all the engine sensors you can see via OBD2.

The best you can do is keep your car maintained and address the weak points as they come up. You can also adapt your driving style to mitigate some of the car weaknesses and avoid a lot of the causes altogether. I know that I drive this car much differently on track than previous cars I’ve had, and I’ve also made a lot of changes to make it more like the car I want to drive. It took me awhile to get it.

Or maybe you just need more wheel/tire for how you like to drive and go from there. I was getting this too, and once I went to wider r-compound rubber and coilovers to keep the car better planted it went away. I keep the TC always on “Sport” and it’s completely unobtrusive now (and I assume it has a more narrow parameter range tolerance than TC off for instance)

Last edited by BLKROKT; 09-29-2018 at 07:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Duffer4126 (07-30-2019)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 PM

Talking thanks

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
^ Agree. I’ve had limp mode hit in all kinds of situation (not only with Sactown’s mother).

Seriously though, it’s not just for overheated oil. In my experience, whenever the ECU sees a sensor massively out of scope, it’s going to throw limp mode. 270’ish F for oil, would probably do the same if coolant went off the chart. If you have a massive drift or are accelerating through corners rapidly, unless the TC is totally off, that can screw with ABS/ESC sensors and wheel speed sensors and trip it or cut back power massively until everything’s back within spec. A bad MAF or O2 sensor can do it - MAF out of range is pretty common. I had a couple of random throttle body and misfire codes cause limp mode out of the blue on track just a month ago. I mean, think of all the sensors for steering input, throttle, yaw, ABS, not to mention all the engine sensors you can see via OBD2.

The best you can do is keep your car maintained and address the weak points as they come up. You can also adapt your driving style to mitigate some of the car weaknesses and avoid a lot of the causes altogether. I know that I drive this car much differently on track than previous cars I’ve had, and I’ve also made a lot of changes to make it more like the car I want to drive. It took me awhile to get it.

Or maybe you just need more wheel/tire for how you like to drive and go from there. I was getting this too, and once I went to wider r-compound rubber and coilovers to keep the car better planted it went away. I keep the TC always on “Sport” and it’s completely unobtrusive now (and I assume it has a more narrow parameter range tolerance than TC off for instance)

thanks . most informative. I think it is definitely related to "extreme driving" ( only time it happens ). Further, why the hell would the car be designed to go into limp with extreme yaw, etc when their target buyer is likely planning to track it ! Never heard of TC problems but sounds logical. Tires-I drive to the track and believe my Mich Pilot Sport R 4s are the best thing going for that. Love them. So you think coil overs may help? I'm not very knowledgeable- what's MAF ? I have a great shop and they said they can scan the car and see full history of the sensors, warning lights, and etc. that were tripped. I know going into the pits to restart works but is very frustrating because last time ( though "it's not a race" ) I had worked my way to the front and was lapping drivers in all 4 sessions when it happened. So changing driving style is not an option HAHA. I've finally learned the car and whatever I'm doing is working

Last edited by wilburfierce; 10-04-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 12-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT

thanks . most informative. I think it is definitely related to "extreme driving" ( only time it happens ). Further, why the hell would the car be designed to go into limp with extreme yaw, etc when their target buyer is likely planning to track it ! Never heard of TC problems but sounds logical. Tires-I drive to the track and believe my Mich Pilot Sport R 4s are the best thing going for that. Love them. So you think coil overs may help? I'm not very knowledgeable- what's MAF ? I have a great shop and they said they can scan the car and see full history of the sensors, warning lights, and etc. that were tripped. I know going into the pits to restart works but is very frustrating because last time ( though "it's not a race" ) I had worked my way to the front and was lapping drivers in all 4 sessions when it happened. So changing driving style is not an option HAHA. I've finally learned the car and whatever I'm doing is working
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
2015 Mercedes C63 amg 507
As y’all know... stock - 2015 C63 507... many track days at VIR. Air temperatures range 30°s to +100°s... oil temps range from 270° to 280°...
running 30 minutes sessions in high speed group in S+/ Tc “sport”... change transmission/diff fluids yearly... oil/brake fluids twice a year... along with major service by dealer yearly.... have run the oem ContiSport 5p, Michelin 4S, Pirelli Trofeo R... No LIMP mode! Never.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12-P31 C63 Coupe- 19-GLC 63 S COUPE -18-911 TURBO S 19 AMG GTR COUPE
you set off your ESC, I have done this before, crazy scary when you are thinking about $$$$. Good news by restarting your all good again. look under your car you will see lift switches around your suspension which when you put the Hammer to the Hammer this will happen.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Infiniti G37 xS
Originally Posted by Duffer4126

As y’all know... stock - 2015 C63 507... many track days at VIR. Air temperatures range 30°s to +100°s... oil temps range from 270° to 280°...
running 30 minutes sessions in high speed group in S+/ Tc “sport”... change transmission/diff fluids yearly... oil/brake fluids twice a year... along with major service by dealer yearly.... have run the oem ContiSport 5p, Michelin 4S, Pirelli Trofeo R... No LIMP mode! Never.
Sorry to bump up an old thread but what do you mean by 'along with major service by dealer yearly'.
What does that entail?

Thanks.