How to de lard my c63 (coupe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
How to de lard my c63 (coupe)

Apart from removing rear seats?

This should weight aobut 1400 kilos, where does it get its mass from?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
there are some weight loss threads, you can search and see what others have done.

As always there are compromises with weight loss, it depends on which you want to settle:
1. removing weight and adding NVH (noise-vibration-harshness)
2. removing weight and adding cost
3. removing weight and changing the safety of the car

Here below are some ideas I have, for the rest search..

For 1, you can remove all kinds of sound deadening, mats and other things, probably cheap

For 2, you can buy from Germany the coupe roof of the black series with no panoramic roof (I saw a German article of a black series test, which proves that they were available in Germany too without panoramic roof, not just in Japan). Then once you have the roof and you spot-weld it using the factory method, you can remove all the factory harnesses that go to it, relays, plastic cable throughs and so on. You have to be willing to pay to import all the parts, pay for removal, spot-welding, painting and so on. You need to then enlist the help of a dealer to reflash the modules to tell the car there's no more panoramic roof.
I see that you don't want to adapt the black series no-rear-seat option, then remove the rear seat belts and airbags and have the dealer reflash the proper module somehow (the problem is that the Black series with no back seat, probably still has active rear side airbags i think, so there may be no reflash out of this)

Track down and purchase the C63 AMG light front seat option. The light seats don't have door control panels anymore, those cars come with blocking plates. The power seat controls are relocated on the seat. and there are some controls that become mechanical too, I think. And there are no more lumbar controls either maybe.

Do a titanium exhaust.
Spend a lot of time and classify all bolts and replace as many as possible on the body with lighter titanium ones. Leave the engine and transmission alone because heat expansion has been engineered into the choice of fasteners.

For 3, if you're taking the car off the road and making it track only you can remove all kinds of airbags and install racing harness, roll bar and wear a helmet.
If not, you can save around 80 lb by changing components to European specs. Probably the bumper reinforcements and maybe removing the door anti-intrusion bars, or installing the Euro equivalents. All at your safety expense.

Two things that I personally don't think work are: lightweight battery and carbon driveshaft (this has been weighed and doesn't save more than 2 lb i think)

You can do this the JDM way:
Start to look at lesser C class models and hunt for option deletion panels. Maybe there are foglight deletion panels and you then remove the complete wiring harness option and reflash the car, so it knows there are no foglights. You then remove the harness and relays too.
Downgrade the stereo to the cheapest and lightest one, maybe there is a no stereo blocking panel for W204 in third world markets.
Get rid of the floor mats, remove the subwoofer.
Downgrade the HID headlights to the lighter halogen ones, even lighter without any intelligent module.
Maybe again for some taxicab version there were manual window regulators, go to manual lighter doors, reflash the car.
Change the bumper to one without headlight washers, delete harness and relays.
I believe I saw a "Increased size fuel tank option". Make sure you don't have that.

So anyway, (and I know that the idea of a manual windows C63 is funny), the real question is how much luxury, safety and/or money are YOU willing to part with, in order to add lightness.

Last edited by Vladds; 10-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I came across the part number for the no sunroof panel. Looks like there is a separate front reinforcement and central reinforcement pieces associated with it.
The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Vladds
I came across the part number for the no sunroof panel. Looks like there is a separate front reinforcement and central reinforcement pieces associated with it.
OP, please reference this post for the much lighter standard/plain OEM coupe roof - part numbers courtesy of Vladds:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7595125

Pano roof is 75lbs (glass + frame) to possibly 200lbs (glass + frame + motor?)

Last edited by MBNRG; 11-05-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Thanks all .