Hopefully my next car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 w204
Hopefully my next car

Hello,

So currently I drive a mk2 Audi TT 3.2 and have done for about 3 years and now the novelty has worn off. The car is bumpy, rattly, uncomfortable and so dated now even the exhaust note isn’t enough to keep me in one.
So im on the lookout for a 2012+ 4 door c63 in the region of about £20k give or take a few, which going by autotrader and motors.co.uk seem about a rough price for a 40-70k mileage one.

been a member of the TT forum ever since so I know how it usually work... few sarcastic comments followed by the ones who have interest in helping but hey I can take a joke

Usually used to a generic reply a mod will give when the typical questions are asked:

common problems to look out for when buying?
must haves?
advices?

Will be looking properly after February as that’s another years no claims and should hopefully have about 4k deposit depending how good/bad my generosity at Christmas is.

So I’ve read the head bolt issues are prefacelift? So is that pre 2012?

I get about 20mpg if I’m lucky as it is so is that roughly the same for the c63? Not that I care just I need ammunition to fire back at the lady in my life who struggles to keep me right. Whilst owning the TT I’ve spent a small fortune on maintenance, mods and general fixing the previous owners negligence so whats the upkeep of the c63 like? For example my indie usually charges say £20 labour to change oil and filter when I provide 6L of oil and a man filter or a full set of none oem pads and discs will set me back say £500.

The c63 has been my dream affordable car so please tread lightly on the bad points.

Last edited by Mickee92; 11-23-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to say.... Hello.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
I'd look at a 2012+. They have had pretty much all the engine issues addressed. It also has the updated interior, which, IMHO, is nicer than the pre-facelift vehicles. Must haves might be the upgraded stereo, lighting package, parking package, KeylessGo, automated cruise control is neat, leather package, and of course P31 or a 507 (more aggressive tune, factory limited slip differential, couple other goodies). The facelift cars are pretty bulletproof. Just find one you like and be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection at an MB dealer and you can have pretty good piece of mind.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Facelift cars seem to be very reliable.
I would go for either a performance package or 507 model. Also, the limited slip diff is not standard fitment, so look for that as well. It's not a deal breaker, as you can fit an aftermarket LSD. I fitted the Wavetrac to mine. Makes a big difference over the open diff.
Lightning package and upgraded stereo are nice to have, as well as keyless go.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63 M157
Originally Posted by Mickee92
Hello,

So currently I drive a mk2 Audi TT 3.2 and have done for about 3 years and now the novelty has worn off. The car is bumpy, rattly, uncomfortable
I have to say that I don't know if the C63 will be that much of a improvement in those 3 departments.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 469 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
20mpg is my dream, I drive a lot in town not much highway and average 13.7mpg
Old 11-24-2018, 10:01 AM

C63 w204
Originally Posted by ImportToAMG
I have to say that I don't know if the C63 will be that much of a improvement in those 3 departments.

no way?? Just thought with the TT being so small, low and dated now that the ride quality should be an improvement in the c63 as after all its a c class and aren’t they usually a nice car to drive?

Also the TT having the weight from the quattro & vr6 in a small stiff car cant help?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 AM

C63 w204
Think the power of a standard one will be enough for now coming from the 250bhp TT which is what 5.7sec 0-60mph and then getting double the power in the c63.

a map in the standard c63 should bring it close to 500bhp?

obviously the more goodies the better and I will take note of whats been said as extras to look out for. I will honestly appreciate a standard one which seems to come with a very well spec anyways as the TT has absolutely nothing, I owned a Vauxhall insignia with more bells a whistles than the TT.

Has to be a facelift model as the interior looks to be a nice place to be in and if it’s anything like the other halfs 2014 aclass then brill.

Now ive read somewhere about PP, PPP, P30 & P31??? Is that just performance package upgrades?

Is this correct:

The P30 AMG Performance Package includes:
- AMG Limited Slip Differential
- AMG Compound Braking System
- AMG Track-Calibrated Suspension - stiffer springs
- AMG Leather/Alcantara Performance Steering Wheel
- Top Speed: 174 mph

P31 is PP+ which does NOT have the LSD as standard

So is that right p31 is PPP and p30 is PP?

will adds have that on or will it be worth while checking the vin.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Savage-wp
Also, the limited slip diff is not standard fitment, so look for that as well.
Finally, a proper use of the word "fitment". Bravo!
The following users liked this post:
Settthhh (11-26-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
I think the car is pretty damn comfortable, my seats always feel like it's giving me a nice hug.

If you drive the car in C mode all the time, it is very easy to to get 20+mpg. If you drive in most anything else though, average will be 12-15.

Adding on a LSD is very easy to do and I highly recommend.

Maintenance isn't too bad, just tires and gas mostly.
The following users liked this post:
sarchib (12-30-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Hello,

So currently I drive a mk2 Audi TT 3.2 and have done for about 3 years and now the novelty has worn off. The car is bumpy, rattly, uncomfortable and so dated now even the exhaust note isn’t enough to keep me in one.
So im on the lookout for a 2012+ 4 door c63 in the region of about £20k give or take a few, which going by autotrader and motors.co.uk seem about a rough price for a 40-70k mileage one.

been a member of the TT forum ever since so I know how it usually work... few sarcastic comments followed by the ones who have interest in helping but hey I can take a joke

Usually used to a generic reply a mod will give when the typical questions are asked:

common problems to look out for when buying?
must haves?
advices?

Will be looking properly after February as that’s another years no claims and should hopefully have about 4k deposit depending how good/bad my generosity at Christmas is.

So I’ve read the head bolt issues are prefacelift? So is that pre 2012?

I get about 20mpg if I’m lucky as it is so is that roughly the same for the c63? Not that I care just I need ammunition to fire back at the lady in my life who struggles to keep me right. Whilst owning the TT I’ve spent a small fortune on maintenance, mods and general fixing the previous owners negligence so whats the upkeep of the c63 like? For example my indie usually charges say £20 labour to change oil and filter when I provide 6L of oil and a man filter or a full set of none oem pads and discs will set me back say £500.

The c63 has been my dream affordable car so please tread lightly on the bad points.

So, common problems I can think of off the top of my head:

1. 2008-2011 C63's have the headbolt issue. They fixed the problem mid-2011 but to be completely safe, I'd recommend a 2012+ if you can afford it. Being that you're looking for a 2012+, this shouldn't be an issue.
2. Motor mounts tend to prematurely wear on this car, being a massive V8, motor mounts are not our friend.
3. The car tends to run a bit hot when doing autocross or even sitting in downtown traffic. In downtown SF, sitting in traffic my oil temps range from 230-243°F... scary times.
4. The MCT in the 2012+ tends to be a bit jerky and also if not maintained will start to slip around the 40k mark.
5. If you like to do "hooning" in these, the power steering pump will grenade itself if you go full lock in a drift.
6. Bolstering on the seats tend to wear out because they are so aggressive and you tend to rub on them getting in and out of the car.
7. Around the 100k mile mark you should consider changing the plastic pulleys on the M156, as they tend to become brittle and start to break.
8. If you drive the car the way an AMG should be driven, the gas station will be your secondary home.
8a. The car burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles when driven hard.
9. Lifter tick on startup

I'm sure I'm missing things, and anyone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken on any of these points.

As far as must haves go, that's personal preference... So I'll share what my must-haves were:

1. LSD
2. P31 pkg
3. Bi-Xenon Headlights
4. Navigation
5. Black on Black
6. Sedan
7. Under 30k miles
8. Audio Package

Upkeep on my C63 hasn't been too overwhelming (knock on wood). All it's needed since I've owned it this past year was an oil change, trans flush, and diff flush. I've owned it for a year and put about 11,000 miles on it.

My advice? This may not even be a concern with you, but if you do ever plan on lowering your car, don't. One of the biggest mistakes I did with my car was install H&R lowering springs. You can read more about it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7568394 . Also, this isn't really advice, but when I baby the car on the highway, I'm lucky to even get 20-23 MPG. So, like I said if you get one of these expect to be at the gas pump almost every 3 days, if not every week.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:53 PM

C63 w204
Originally Posted by curt.r
So, common problems I can think of off the top of my head:

1. 2008-2011 C63's have the headbolt issue. They fixed the problem mid-2011 but to be completely safe, I'd recommend a 2012+ if you can afford it. Being that you're looking for a 2012+, this shouldn't be an issue. Yeah looking at the 2012+ as I much prefer the facelift interior
2. Motor mounts tend to prematurely wear on this car, being a massive V8, motor mounts are not our friend. Something I’m used to on the TT so nothing new there, do they go often or every xxxx amount of miles?
3. The car tends to run a bit hot when doing autocross or even sitting in downtown traffic. In downtown SF, sitting in traffic my oil temps range from 230-243°F... scary times. Any reason why? And is it common with every c63. Is there a prevention?
4. The MCT in the 2012+ tends to be a bit jerky and also if not maintained will start to slip around the 40k mark. When you say maintained is that just transmission oil change every what 40k? Any tests to run when inspecting, on the dsg TT you tend to get a shuddering when slowly pulling away or when reversing up an incline.
5. If you like to do "hooning" in these, the power steering pump will grenade itself if you go full lock in a drift. Wont be doing much ripping out of junctions as the rear wheel drive will have me anxious and from past experience collapsing my centre propshaft on my TT doing just that made me learn my lesson.
6. Bolstering on the seats tend to wear out because they are so aggressive and you tend to rub on them getting in and out of the car. Try getting in and out of a TT haha constantly scuffing the bolsters
7. Around the 100k mile mark you should consider changing the plastic pulleys on the M156, as they tend to become brittle and start to break. Is that the 2012+ engine?
8. If you drive the car the way an AMG should be driven, the gas station will be your secondary home. Smiles per gallon, the TT had a 66 litre tank which is what 6 litres more so im expecting similar fuel economy give or take.
8a. The car burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles when driven hard. Any problems with that or just keep on top of topping it up?
9. Lifter tick on startup any reason why and is it something that can be noticed when test driving and is it a simple fix?

I'm sure I'm missing things, and anyone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken on any of these points.

As far as must haves go, that's personal preference... So I'll share what my must-haves were:

1. LSD
2. P31 pkg
3. Bi-Xenon Headlights
4. Navigation
5. Black on Black
6. Sedan
7. Under 30k miles
8. Audio Package is there different systems? Was chorus, concert, symphony & rnse and optional bose speakers/amp.

Upkeep on my C63 hasn't been too overwhelming (knock on wood). All it's needed since I've owned it this past year was an oil change, trans flush, and diff flush. I've owned it for a year and put about 11,000 miles on it.

My advice? This may not even be a concern with you, but if you do ever plan on lowering your car, don't. One of the biggest mistakes I did with my car was install H&R lowering springs. You can read more about it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7568394 . Also, this isn't really advice, but when I baby the car on the highway, I'm lucky to even get 20-23 MPG. So, like I said if you get one of these expect to be at the gas pump almost every 3 days, if not every week.
good info thanks for your time. The car will need to be a 4 door 2012+ model and with as much extras as I can afford.

Whats the bog standard spec on one?? More than happy with bluetooth, MFSW, heated seats, parking sensors, sat nav, climate control etc.

Last edited by Mickee92; 11-24-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan

good info thanks for your time. The car will need to be a 4 door 2012+ model and with as much extras as I can afford.

Whats the bog standard spec on one?? More than happy with bluetooth, MFSW, heated seats, parking sensors, sat nav, climate control etc.

No problem, happy to help. I'm not sure what the standard spec is for the C63, but for W204's in general there is no: audio pkg (H/K LOGIC 7), navigation, bluetooth, memory seat for the passenger side, heated seats, parking sensors/ backup camera, limited-slip diff, also no bi-xenon headlights. Again, I'm positive I am forgetting things. As far as the audio package goes, the only system available for the W204 was the Harmon / Kardon LOGIC 7 sound system which, in my opinion, is pretty darn good. Ok, onto the questions now.

2. For the C63, seems like the life span for engine mounts is every 50k miles. They should last to 100k though. That being said, driving the C63 you will occasionally feel a knocking in the brake pedal once in a while when stopped. No, it's most likely not the motor mounts. It's the massive V8 mad at you for not going fast

3. The high oil temps are only a concern when sitting idle for long periods of time/ sitting in stop-and-go traffic, or when auto-crossing the car (or driving it hard for an extended period of time). The only true solution to the problem is adding a Mercedes 44O kit. It is discontinued, to put it simply, it's a bigger oil cooler to replace the stock one, along with directing more air to the cooler. Like I said, not a huge concern if you're driving the car regularly. I've only had to worry about my oil temps when doing spirited back road driving, or sitting in traffic for an extended period of time.

4. By maintained, yes I mean changing the fluid every 40k miles (along with the diff if your C63 is factory-equipped with an LSD). I've never had any problems with mine so I can't say what definitive tests there are to test the MCT. They typically slip in between gear changes, if that helps.

7. Mainly that's just talking about M156's in general. But yes, for the W204 C63 I would consider replacing the pulleys around the 100k mark, many forum members would agree with this. Big V8 + heat + small engine bay + plastic pulleys is not a good formula.

8a. No problems, just got to keep an eye on the oil level and top it off once in a while.

9. I'll start this off by hoping someone with more knowledge about the lifter tick issue could possible chime in.As far I as know the oil drains back to the pan after the car sits for a while. The lifters end up being dry on start up and tick for a few seconds, sometimes. If lifter tick is present, it will definitely be noticeable on a test drive when first starting up... if the car is cold. People run special oil additives to reduce the lifter tick on startup, although I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Last edited by curt.r; 11-24-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 AM

C63 w204
Originally Posted by curt.r
No problem, happy to help. I'm not sure what the standard spec is for the C63, but for W204's in general there is no: audio pkg (H/K LOGIC 7), navigation, bluetooth, memory seat for the passenger side, heated seats, parking sensors/ backup camera, limited-slip diff, also no bi-xenon headlights. Again, I'm positive I am forgetting things. As far as the audio package goes, the only system available for the W204 was the Harmon / Kardon LOGIC 7 sound system which, in my opinion, is pretty darn good. Ok, onto the questions now.2. For the C63, seems like the life span for engine mounts is every 50k miles. They should last to 100k though. That being said, driving the C63 you will occasionally feel a knocking in the brake pedal once in a while when stopped. No, it's most likely not the motor mounts. It's the massive V8 mad at you for not going fast thats not so bad as I don’t do many miles and the car is mainly for pleasure.
3. The high oil temps are only a concern when sitting idle for long periods of time/ sitting in stop-and-go traffic, or when auto-crossing the car (or driving it hard for an extended period of time). The only true solution to the problem is adding a Mercedes 44O kit. It is discontinued, to put it simply, it's a bigger oil cooler to replace the stock one, along with directing more air to the cooler. Like I said, not a huge concern if you're driving the car regularly. I've only had to worry about my oil temps when doing spirited back road driving, or sitting in traffic for an extended period of time. Again hopefully with me using this car as a weekend toy I shouldn’t have to worry but at least I won’t be surprised now.

4. By maintained, yes I mean changing the fluid every 40k miles (along with the diff if your C63 is factory-equipped with an LSD). I've never had any problems with mine so I can't say what definitive tests there are to test the MCT. They typically slip in between gear changes, if that helps. Fair enough I’ll be on top of the maintenance/servicing intervals. Hopefully it would be something I can notice, is the gear changes smooth? Like in comfort mode is it effortless to drive?

7. Mainly that's just talking about M156's in general. But yes, for the W204 C63 I would consider replacing the pulleys around the 100k mark, many forum members would agree with this. Big V8 + heat + small engine bay + plastic pulleys is not a good formula. I hope to never get to 100k whats its like to access parts on the v8? My TT is a joke to replace parts on... replace chains/tensioners = engine out. Replace lower engine mount = subframe off. Manifolds off = engine lifted, subframe off etc.

8a. No problems, just got to keep an eye on the oil level and top it off once in a while.

9. I'll start this off by hoping someone with more knowledge about the lifter tick issue could possible chime in.As far I as know the oil drains back to the pan after the car sits for a while. The lifters end up being dry on start up and tick for a few seconds, sometimes. If lifter tick is present, it will definitely be noticeable on a test drive when first starting up... if the car is cold. People run special oil additives to reduce the lifter tick on startup, although I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
Cant imagine it being healthy but is it harmful or just a down point of this engine? Be good to run an additive if it has positives.

had a look at some c63’s on autotrader and it seems the common mot advisories are tyre tread close to limit brakes close to limit etc. Nothing too serious.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I live in South Africa where it gets hot in summer. Iver 40 degrees Celsius. So that's over 104 Fahrenheit for my American friends. My car does not get overly hot sitting in traffic.
But on the track, it will start to get too hot.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
w204 c63
What i want to admit.. Oil catch can is A MUST for these engines
Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM

C63 w204

Now this is a beauty!!!

Was this anyones on here? Love the silver and the black look. Not normally a big fan of silver but that is the right kind!

https://www.thecarcouk1.co.uk/used-c...030.1537358247

i Wonder if its still there come February paha

would 4 owners put you off... and it looks modded with the gloss black trimmings would that put people off?

Last edited by Mickee92; 11-28-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:33 PM

C63 w204
Now a few more questions As I’ve been looking more and more at c63’s....

why am i seeing a lot of 2012-2014 plate c63’s being sold at roughly the same mileage 40-50k miles.

why are most I’ve came across being sold with 3+ more owners??

I have found one a really like and managed to source out the reg plate number and the car advertised is 50,176miles on the clock yet the government site for MOT check states it has 58k miles?? The seller also said in an email it has the 50176 miles??? Is this suspect or do MOt centres sometimes estimate?
Old 12-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Sedan
These cars are beasts. After owning 10+ vehicles, I bought a 1st owner 2009 C63 with 78k miles. I am now at 105k miles. I beat the crap out of it and it takes it well. Granted, the car was well maintained. Around 25k+ in receipts so far replacing everything already mentioned from motor mounts, trans mounts, radiator, etc...I still haven't done the headbolts yet, but have done the intake gaskets and other components. Headbolts to be done this year with upgraded SLS buckets and lifters. I get 18 MPG highway, 12 MPG city, and 8 MPG canyons.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM

C63 w204
From what I’ve been reading they seem pretty solid when it comes to cars.

Last thing I want is buying something thats going to cost putting it right or doing all the things the previous owner has neglected.

Heard the alloys crack so that’s another to look out for.

with me being from the UK I’ve also heard that you can pay for a tech from Mercedes to go out and check it over before buying?? Thing I read it here im not sure how 100% true that is but I hope so for piece of mind.

As well as the similar sort of mileage and owners I See more coupes being sold than saloons which is a bummer as its a saloon im after!!