Sponsored by:

Solution for creaks and squeaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Solution for creaks and squeaks

Hi. I've recently bought a C63 Coupe and whilst super-happy with the car, the general level of creaks and squeaks and rattles was a bit annoying when you're just cruising along. I scoured various forums for solutions (some brave, like pulling the dash to bits, and some possibly a bit ill-advised, like jamming bits of foam into trim gaps with a butter knife). So, I had a go with a couple of methods and reckon I've solved 80% of rattles - thought I'd share this in case it helps anyone else. It's also dead easy, and took me about an hour.

Things to bear in mind: Squeaks aren't necessarily coming from where you think they are...!
Stuff I used: Vaseline. Felt tape (wide). Thick cotton thread. Thin but sturdy bit of plastic with a point to it - strip cut from a milk carton, a plectrum, trim tool, etc.

1. Glove box. This has been mentioned by loads of people and it works. Carefully add a strip of felt tape (40mm x 10mm, something like that) into the left and right recess where the glove box clips secure into the dash. Take time to really make sure the felt stays in place.
2. Doors. Double up a length of cotton - couple of foot should do it. Liberally smear with Vaseline, and then gently "saw" the thread around the door card where it butts up against the metal of the door. The idea is to get a tiny bit of lubricant on the very edges of the door card - as I was working round each door I could push/shove the door card and hear as each squeak disappeared. Last thing on each is to wipe down the plastic door sill with a smear of vaseline too.
3. Dashboard. With your pot of vaseline in hand and your bit of plastic, work you way from one side of the dash, pushing (very) small amounts of vaseline along where the trim meets - no deeper than 5mm or so, don't force it. Take your time - some bits are easy (like around the vents) as the trim is flexible, others (around the comand screen) take a little longer. Don't worry about getting greasy marks on the dash, once finished, I liberally sprayed trim protector and restorer (something with a slight sheen) around all the areas and wiped it down.
4. Rear seats. In the coupe, these fold down from clips in the rear bulkhead, above which are securing points covered with little plastic flaps. I unclipped the flaps, added felt tape around the hinge points (just little holes) so the flaps couldn't move much.

Finally, go for a drive. Here's the thing - most of my squeaks and rattles were still there when I drove off, but after 10-15 mins of regular driving it really started to take effect. My guess is that the lube - especially on the dash - takes a bit of time to work it's way into the surface and getting the car nice and warm will definitely help.

Anyway, after several months, I'm still very happy. There's still some bits I'll have another look at eventually (centre console, etc.) but I'll probably just use the same approach. 6 year old car now as quiet as you'd expect....
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wu-Handrahen
Hi. I've recently bought a C63 Coupe and whilst super-happy with the car, the general level of creaks and squeaks and rattles was a bit annoying when you're just cruising along. I scoured various forums for solutions (some brave, like pulling the dash to bits, and some possibly a bit ill-advised, like jamming bits of foam into trim gaps with a butter knife). So, I had a go with a couple of methods and reckon I've solved 80% of rattles - thought I'd share this in case it helps anyone else. It's also dead easy, and took me about an hour.

Things to bear in mind: Squeaks aren't necessarily coming from where you think they are...!
Stuff I used: Vaseline. Felt tape (wide). Thick cotton thread. Thin but sturdy bit of plastic with a point to it - strip cut from a milk carton, a plectrum, trim tool, etc.

1. Glove box. This has been mentioned by loads of people and it works. Carefully add a strip of felt tape (40mm x 10mm, something like that) into the left and right recess where the glove box clips secure into the dash. Take time to really make sure the felt stays in place.
2. Doors. Double up a length of cotton - couple of foot should do it. Liberally smear with Vaseline, and then gently "saw" the thread around the door card where it butts up against the metal of the door. The idea is to get a tiny bit of lubricant on the very edges of the door card - as I was working round each door I could push/shove the door card and hear as each squeak disappeared. Last thing on each is to wipe down the plastic door sill with a smear of vaseline too.
3. Dashboard. With your pot of vaseline in hand and your bit of plastic, work you way from one side of the dash, pushing (very) small amounts of vaseline along where the trim meets - no deeper than 5mm or so, don't force it. Take your time - some bits are easy (like around the vents) as the trim is flexible, others (around the comand screen) take a little longer. Don't worry about getting greasy marks on the dash, once finished, I liberally sprayed trim protector and restorer (something with a slight sheen) around all the areas and wiped it down.
4. Rear seats. In the coupe, these fold down from clips in the rear bulkhead, above which are securing points covered with little plastic flaps. I unclipped the flaps, added felt tape around the hinge points (just little holes) so the flaps couldn't move much.

Finally, go for a drive. Here's the thing - most of my squeaks and rattles were still there when I drove off, but after 10-15 mins of regular driving it really started to take effect. My guess is that the lube - especially on the dash - takes a bit of time to work it's way into the surface and getting the car nice and warm will definitely help.

Anyway, after several months, I'm still very happy. There's still some bits I'll have another look at eventually (centre console, etc.) but I'll probably just use the same approach. 6 year old car now as quiet as you'd expect....
I got rid of most of the creaks on mine by spraying WD40 with tube into all gaps on dash.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Which part of the dash?

i got one near where it meets the front glass. Never thought about lubing but is definitely a good suggestion.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Vaseline....right. I prefer to use vicks vapor rub, I like the smell better.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Rick X Joaquim
Which part of the dash?

i got one near where it meets the front glass. Never thought about lubing but is definitely a good suggestion.
Every section where one part of the dash meets another - round the centre speaker, inlays, vents, comand shroud, etc.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by Wu-Handrahen
Every section where one part of the dash meets another - round the centre speaker, inlays, vents, comand shroud, etc.
WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant... this is not a good idea in my opinion.

I have been most successful having someone else drive while I press my hands on different parts to find the offender, then tighten what I can and spray silicone as a last resort.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant... this is not a good idea in my opinion

WRONG!!!

WD40 is a lubricant it has a flash point of 59 degrees C meaning it has to be heated up before ignition.

silicone is not a good idea in my opinion. Especially if you ever need to have paintwork carried out, as it transfers everywhere.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime.Mar 9, 2012
When Should I Not Use WD-40? - Lifehacker

https://lifehacker.com › when-should-i-not-use-wd-40-5891936

Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime.Mar 9, 2012
Mort

My dash hasn’t dissolved in any form whatsoever. But it is free of creaks and squeaks, neither has my driveway where some has been spilt.

if you spray WD40 onto paper, what is the residue that is left? It looks remarkably like oil.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
The WD40 will evaporate in a short period of time. Maybe the residue it leaves will continue to reduce the friction enough that your dash will remain free of squeaks and creaks and maybe not. Time will tell. Hopefully it will not damage any of your dash materials to the point that you can notice it. It will stain a lot of different materials but plastics may not be one of them if they are hard enough.

Hey if it works for you, great.