C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 AMG Oil Cooler solution! Reasonable 44O option!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dr.Speedfellow
The only mild offense is the 3 of you so far that have implied I don't drive very hard at the track. Asking if I was cruising in comfort mode at the track wasn't exactly complimentary or likely, but I appreciate your help on other topics as well.

As for my anomaly, I hear what you are saying regarding your experience and others and I read the 440 colling kit thread this morning with all the complaints, but for now the anomaly is one I am happy to have. We shall see what happens when the weather gets hotter here.
LOL that's because your oil temps are abnormally low so we're busting your *****.

Off topic
Jasonoff. BTW the weistec trans pans are due back from powdercoating Jan 8 and then will take about a week to machine the fins, etc so they are due to start shipping the new batch around the 15th. I was able to call and pay for mine already to ensure getting one of the first of the batch so as not to miss out. I dont know how big the batch is but I know there was a waiting list for months, so....
Nice, yeah I paid for mine already as well. Alex told me it should ship mid Jan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
BLKROKT (01-08-2021), Dr.Speedfellow (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
My car is under cover right now for the winter, so i couldn't pull pictures on mine, but here are a couple photos of the kit and the install. Quick reference will be the horizontal cooling section in front.

The following users liked this post:
Dr.Speedfellow (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
LOL that's because your oil temps are abnormally low so we're busting your *****.
I hear ya buddy..fair enough
But maybe if you guys learned to carry more speed around the track you could get more airflow through your overheating ****boxes! Just kidding

But Busting ***** is a two way street right?

If I find a need for it I won't hesitate to order Sven's cooling kit, nice option since 440 doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 01-08-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:12 AM

W204 c63
Originally Posted by pbaylog
My car is under cover right now for the winter, so i couldn't pull pictures on mine, but here are a couple photos of the kit and the install. Quick reference will be the horizontal cooling section in front.

thank you very much
Old 01-08-2021, 09:24 AM

W204 c63
Without crawling around on the ground this is what it looks like behind my lower grille, looks factory to me but idk.

Has anyone tried removing the oil cooler fan with the factory coolers still installed? I read in this forum that it covers half the surface area of the secondary cooler and is only useful in stopped traffic, so in theory wouldn't it be helpful at track just to remove fan even if you didn't have Sven's cooler upgrade yet?
if I ever do run into high oil temps at the track wouldn't it make sense to try just removing the fan and seeing if all the claimed extra airflow without it that is talked about in this thread and other places in the forum had a noticeable effect?
could the fan be removed without removing the cooler or would you be halfway through the labor of removing the factory setup and therefore well on the way to installing Svens kit just to get the fan out?

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 01-08-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 GL550, 2013 C63
There is no fan on the pictured engine oil cooler. The fan that was talked about is on the trans cooler on the side, in front of the passenger side wheel.

I think what everyone tried to say here is that your temperature is way below what everyone else experienced, which seems impossible for a stock oil cooler under conditions you described. It just makes no sense hence the commentary. But look, there are anomalies I guess and no point taking offence to it. Consider yourself lucky!
Old 01-08-2021, 01:16 PM

W204 c63
The fan i referenced is supposed to be on the second oil cooler in the side cove not the trans cooler from what i have read and is removed when installing the kit this thread is about because it restricts airflow, so it would make sense that it restricts airflow on the stock secondary oil cooler also.

Yes. i understood the dialog here. 'Track guys' pretending other track folks can't drive as well or as hard is just ego stuff and not very helpful so I addressed it. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

If my summer track oil temps reach and stay above 265°f or so I will certainly order a kit

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 01-08-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
For the record, there was a WINK at the end of my little ball-busting. No one is condescending to you here, just good natured ribbing.

There have been reports that some of the low-mile AMG Driving Academy 507’s have ended up with MBW members here. They were not advertised as such and took some detective work to figure out. They ALL had the 44O kit installed (because it’s necessary to not go into limp mode on track) but were otherwise stock aside from the rear diff rectifier also installed. I’d look into that, probably your answer.

Or just stick your head down and look inside the front bumper opening. The fan is easy to see in the way of you have it.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
For the record, there was a WINK at the end of my little ball-busting. No one is condescending to you here, just good natured ribbing.

There have been reports that some of the low-mile AMG Driving Academy 507’s have ended up with MBW members here. They were not advertised as such and took some detective work to figure out. They ALL had the 44O kit installed (because it’s necessary to not go into limp mode on track) but were otherwise stock aside from the rear diff rectifier also installed. I’d look into that, probably your answer.

Or just stick your head down and look inside the front bumper opening. The fan is easy to see in the way of you have it.
Yes - correct. The ADA cars came with the 44O and finned diff covers, like mine. I wouldn't expect the '15s were part of that class though. Mine is an August '13 build, with a sold to destination of COTA as printed on the window sticker. It was decommissioned in Summer of '15 after 3300 miles.

It's been an absolutely flawless car, BTW. Lots of these ADA cars get ragged on. I would expect OP will have many years/miles of trouble free ownership with his.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:52 PM

W204 c63
No rectifier on my diff cover, so I ordered one to go on when lsd is installed. I posted a picture through my lower front grille, doesn't seem to be 440 oil cooler so I assume its all factory, it has a black shroud forcing air through.
I will just drive harder and til i get those temps up to where everyone tells me they should be 😉

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 01-08-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Bimmer777
The fan that was talked about is on the trans cooler on the side, in front of the passenger side wheel.
That's a secondary oil cooler with a thermostat. The trans cooler cooler behind the grill.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
When I had the 44O kit installed on mine I was told that there was a coding update that eliminates the programming for the oil cooler fan activation. I suspect that without it you'd get an error code about the oil cooler fan failure if you simply remove it - otherwise I suspect they wouldn't have bothered flashing anything. I also recall reading somewhere that there was a software update that changed the temperature points at which the car stars to pull timing and eventually goes into limp mode based on the oil temperature, so it is possible that the software update addressed both.

When you're stuck in traffic and/or moving at "city street" speeds, the oil cooler in the wheel well provides 100% of the oil cooling capacity as there is no air flow through the horizontally mounted one at the front. When driving in S in the city my oil temps are in the 105C-110C range (at 0C ambient). The horizontally mounted cooler at the front only works when the car is at highway or higher speeds by virtue of the low pressure area that is created underneath it by the rubber flap on the underside. Cruising at highway speeds (120-130 km/h) at 0C ambient drops the oil temp to around 100C. When I am stopped and idling in parking lot for a sufficiently long time (~5 min), the oil temp on mine always stabilizes at 106C. Track day oil temps are in the 120C range (on a hot summer day), but halfway during the cool down lap the oil temp drops to 112C-113C. Just FYI.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
Dr.Speedfellow (01-08-2021), DRBC43AMG (01-10-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Zero issues here with the arch cooler fan removed.
Dr.Speedfellow (01-08-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Zero issues here with the arch cooler fan removed.
I know that you track your car, so I am assuming that this is with oil temps exceeding 115C (or whatever the oil cooler fan setpoint is)? Good to know.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I know that you track your car, so I am assuming that this is with oil temps exceeding 115C (or whatever the oil cooler fan setpoint is)? Good to know.
Yeah, have been over the fan actuation threshold for sure. Not even a module error either which, if monitored, would have likely logged something on initial start up if it's unplugged (open circuit) just like the 5million other things I can see logged since so much crap is removed.

As far as I can tell, that fan is just fire and forget but I also have a bunch of fuses removed as well so it's possible it could have disabled a warning that way as well.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
My kit is on, another ESS supercharged car.

The kit is a direct replacement for the factory oil cooler in terms of width but, it’s double the height. The drain plug location is the same as OE, just remember to tighten it up before you install the cooler.

I personally didn’t need to take the bumper off, maybe that’s because the cooler is further back on my car (ESS). All I did was take the under tray off and it was immediately visible and accessible. Undo everything and pull it down. I have left the Aux oil cooler fan in place as town driving is unfortunately something I have to deal with in the Summer.

The oil lines, with some slight movement line straight up to the ends of the new cooler and bolt in using the OE bolts.

ESS cars have a bracket that moves the OE oil cooler backwards so that the charge cooler can sit in front. This cooler uses the ESS brackets but, unlike the installation on a car without a supercharger, the oil cooler sits bolt upright behind the charge cooler and not at a slight angle. No front duct required as the charge cooler prevents that, and air passed through them both. The new cooler just slides up in reverse of the old one coming out.

Real world tests begin tomorrow. Set up includes under tray duct mod as supplied with this kit as well as rad plate assisting all coolers. The real test will be in Summer months where repeated bashing raises oil temps quickly however, it all looks very pleasing right now!

Last edited by Cozy; 01-16-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Cwagon (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Cozy
My kit is on, another ESS supercharged car.

The kit is a direct replacement for the factory oil cooler in terms of width but, it’s double the height. The drain plug location is the same as OE, just remember to tighten it up before you install the cooler.

I personally didn’t need to take the bumper off, maybe that’s because the cooler is further back on my car (ESS). All I did was take the under tray off and it was immediately visible and accessible. Undo everything and pull it down. I have left the Aux oil cooler fan in place as town driving is unfortunately something I have to deal with in the Summer.

The oil lines, with some slight movement line straight up to the ends of the new cooler and bolt in using the OE bolts.

ESS cars have a bracket that moves the OE oil cooler backwards so that the charge cooler can sit in front. This cooler uses the ESS brackets but, unlike the installation on a car without a supercharger, the oil cooler sits bolt upright behind the charge cooler and not at a slight angle. No front duct required as the charge cooler prevents that, and air passed through them both. The new cooler just slides up in reverse of the old one coming out.

Real world tests begin tomorrow. Set up includes under tray duct mod as supplied with this kit as well as rad plate assisting all coolers. The real test will be in Summer months where repeated bashing raises oil temps quickly however, it all looks very pleasing right now!
Ok so I’m done testing, 3hrs worth. ESS supercharged coupe, Aux oil cooler fan in place, upper rad-plate.

Temps didn’t exceed 110c, this was with a lot of spirited driving, hanging gears in M mode, and banging through 1st to 4th A LOT. Other than remembering how devastatingly fast it is now I was super impressed by the much cooler oil temps. Cruising is 100-105c solid and deviates between those to point really. The 110c creep really only was when stationary and no air is blowing through the cooler. What I also notice is oil temp recovery is super quick, right back down to the 100-105c region. This is encouraging because in the Summer, where temps will naturally be higher and creep in traffic probably above 110c, I know that as soon as I’m moving again they’ll get back to their optimum quickly. The cements for me not taking out the Aux oil cooler fan for my street setup.

Beating on it while constantly rolling I was failing to crack 107c. Previously, Winter or not, it’d be at 115c or above very easily.

Good job, Sven, good job.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cozy:
Cwagon (01-17-2021), SRG_C63 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A45 Porsche 991 GT3
Hello,
do you still offer some radiators for sell ? I would like to buy one asap...
Old 01-19-2021, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A45 Porsche 991 GT3
Originally Posted by SRG_C63
For all people from Great Britain, if you want a cooler, order it as soon as possible, because from 01.01.2021 on, customs duties may apply and the cooler will end up being unnecessarily expensive.
Take advantage of this while you are still in the EU!

I would be happy to hear more reports from the people who have already mounted and tested the cooler
Hello, do you still offer some radiators for sell ? I would like to buy one asap.thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 12:16 AM

Received 116 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG PP+ 2010
Originally Posted by KarelNeffe
Hello,
do you still offer some radiators for sell ? I would like to buy one asap...
Hello,

yes, I still sell them.

Just write me a private message, text me on Instagram „srg_c63“ or leave your email.

Greetings
Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 PM

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts
2001 E430, 2014 E 350, 2012 C63 PP30
Ordered my kit from Sven last night! Folllow my IG for Realtime updates @SikC63
Old 01-27-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63 w204 sedan P31
Ordered my kit from Sven, will give feedback was soon was possable!
Old 01-31-2021, 01:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
If you're taking offence I'm not sure why. I'm comparing your data against several others (10+) and yours is the anomaly. I've been working with this platform for 10 years and they're all the same.

Nobody is questioning your driving ability either. I asked if you were pushing the car as not to assume since the temps you stated suggest otherwise, that's all.

BLKROKT posted some pics of the 44O kit in this thread but if you use the google machine there's lots of pics of what it looks like installed.

Sometimes less, sometimes more. It reaches thermal max pretty quick and just levels out so a 40min session wouldn't change how hot the oil gets.
The car has done 2 'track night in America' events so far with similar oil temp results.
I guess a 440 kit is possible since I bought the car used with only five thousand miles on it, but it seems unlikely since the car had zero other modifications. Car is 2015 507.
I will say that I have never noticed the noisy oil cooler fan sound that I hear others complain about in the 440 cooler threads on this forum, so I guess its possible the car was upgraded. But I also thought perhaps the reason the temp seemed stable in the mid 240s was because of the fan. As I thought I read on this forum that the fan kicked on around 245°F. I haven't looked to see if fan was removed, what would be the other obvious visual clues if a 440 kit was on it? I will inspect further next week when it is on a lift for the lsd install.

Are you sure you 'track' guys aren't just running longer than 20min sessions?

As for not driving very hard, the level of condescending there i won't even address, I have SCCA hillclimb and time trial licences, so while I am new to this car I am not a track newbie.

I have no plans to endurance race the car but may do a rear seat delete and roll bar and harnesses to get legal for hillclimbs and scca time trials, both of which are short session racing. Especially hillclimbs which only last a couple to few minutes in general, unless you are talking about Pikes which i am not.

I also have a 2015 507 and track it as well.

Conditions that day were in the 84°F, track is 4.2 miles long with 27 turns, and did 5 (20min sessions).
I remember always checking my oil temps because I read so many comments on limp mode with these cars.
I never went over 246°F. Car is bone stock; no 440 kit...

Dr.Speedfellow (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The_BigBoy

Conditions that day were in the 84°F, track is 4.2 miles long with 27 turns, and did 5 (20min sessions).
I remember always checking my oil temps because I read so many comments on limp mode with these cars.
It is also possible that (a) you're using an oil that is thicker and doesn't flow as easily inside the engine, which in turn doesn't remove as much heat and thus your oil temp reading is lower but you have hotter hot spots inside the motor, and/or (b) that you have a bad fuel injector which can also cause the oil temperature to read lower or sometimes fluctuate.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:15 PM

W204 c63
Originally Posted by The_BigBoy

You'll probably get a few posts telling you that you aren't driving hard enough.

I am going to give you the basic respect of assuming that you know what oil is in your car, and hopefully it is 5w-40 or 0w-40 and that if you are tracking it you would likely feel a bad fuel injector or notice if it wasn't running properly.

Enjoy

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 01-31-2021 at 08:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C63 AMG Oil Cooler solution! Reasonable 44O option!