Sponsored by:

Ideal alignment specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Ideal alignment specs

Anyone care to share some alignment And suspension advice? I’ve been lowered on Carlson 19 way adjustable coil overs for past 6-7 years. Most alignments were to get me within factory specs. Nothing special. I want to try out something different that can help correct a couple of issues i have experienced and still experience over the past few years.

1). under hard acceleration towards 90 mph -120 my car feels unstable, darty and feels like it’s swaying from left to right?
2). under hard breaking going into a corner...the rear feels unstable and feels like it will kick out, feel like there is no traction a little sway left to right.
3). my turn in very sharp, would like a little more under steer?

tires are Toyo Proxes 4plus on 19, staggered, 235 front and 265 rear.
i have adjustable front and rear sway bar links
rear adjustable camber arms.
no clunking noise and arms were inspected, no issues.

some have suggested running a bit more toe in front and toe out rear?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 116 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG PP+ 2010
Originally Posted by SROC276
Anyone care to share some alignment And suspension advice? I’ve been lowered on Carlson 19 way adjustable coil overs for past 6-7 years. Most alignments were to get me within factory specs. Nothing special. I want to try out something different that can help correct a couple of issues i have experienced and still experience over the past few years.

1). under hard acceleration towards 90 mph -120 my car feels unstable, darty and feels like it’s swaying from left to right?
2). under hard breaking going into a corner...the rear feels unstable and feels like it will kick out, feel like there is no traction a little sway left to right.
3). my turn in very sharp, would like a little more under steer?
For Street?
1. Toe in Front and rear
2. Toe in front and rear
3. Toe 0 Front to Toe out

Camber -1.7-2.0 Front -2 rear, Toe in 0.15 per tyre rear, 0.10-0.05 front
Thats a no brainer Street setup

When I read your description, all you need is more toe-in rear.
Braking and turning in the curve = more camber at the rear axle = stable back

Last edited by SRG_C63; 06-07-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
It also depends on how low your car is. If it's really slammed it's going to drive like crap even with the best alignment. Suspension was engineered to work best at the factory ride height. sure lowering helps the center of gravity but it screws up everything else. Just something to keep in mind. 1" is no big deal, but once you go farther it gets exponentially worse.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 116 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG PP+ 2010
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
It also depends on how low your car is. If it's really slammed it's going to drive like crap even with the best alignment. Suspension was engineered to work best at the factory ride height. sure lowering helps the center of gravity but it screws up everything else. Just something to keep in mind. 1" is no big deal, but once you go farther it gets exponentially worse.
It all depends on the suspension. A KW Competition is deep and works there too. I think it's wrong to refer your statement to all suspensions in general.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
If you can get the angles right slammed it still works. Excessive camber and too much dynamic change can hurt cars that are very low (bump steer can be much more pronounced at different ride heights and doesn't show up during an alignment), but I've aligned plenty of lowered cars without issue.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:55 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
When the suspension was done it’s about a 1/2 inch or a finer gap to the fender on my 19’s.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:03 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by SRG_C63
For Street?
1. Toe in Front and rear
2. Toe in front and rear
3. Toe 0 Front to Toe out

Camber -1.7-2.0 Front -2 rear, Toe in 0.15 per tyre rear, 0.10-0.05 front
Thats a no brainer Street setup

When I read your description, all you need is more toe-in rear.
Braking and turning in the curve = more camber at the rear axle = stable back
thank you for this is awesome...car feels nervous essentially with spirited to hard driving...ok will give it a shot. Appreciate the response greatly.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:04 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by SRG_C63
It all depends on the suspension. A KW Competition is deep and works there too. I think it's wrong to refer your statement to all suspensions in general.
I think my Carlssons are rebranded kw but not 100%...look identical.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
I mean I suppose you're correct if you get extended balljoints or modify the mounting location of components to correct all the geometry ruined by lowering so much but i doubt anyone is doing that. I'm sure the dampeners on certain coilover setups can accomodate the height but It's more complicated than just camber / caster / toe. Just because it's lower and your specs are somewhat desirable doesn't mean it actually has more mechanical grip. Your car do what you want.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:43 AM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
I mean I suppose you're correct if you get extended balljoints or modify the mounting location of components to correct all the geometry ruined by lowering so much but i doubt anyone is doing that. I'm sure the dampeners on certain coilover setups can accomodate the height but It's more complicated than just camber / caster / toe. Just because it's lower and your specs are somewhat desirable doesn't mean it actually has more mechanical grip. Your car do what you want.
I agree with you...just looking to tweak it so I can get the most out of the set up. Most of the alignment shops have just brought me to factory spec if that is where I am of course. Car has just not felt as planted as it used so I am wondering if it was set up correctly under my prior suspension guy (now focuses on Lotus cars) and now it being back factory spec changed things. I appreciate your input as well. It’s very possibly my bushings are all bad and worn (no clunking anywhere though, plus dealer said no issues). Car is strong..just trying to finalize and work on this last component to bring it back. Thanks again