Sponsored by:

Question for Shops, Tuners, or Experienced Dyno users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
E63
Question for Shops, Tuners, or Experienced Dyno users

Where do you strap down in the rear? I don't see anything obvious and with the power level, it's too much for my comfort level to rely solely on the single thread-in tow loop. Lower control arms have plastic coverings, and removing the covers and strapping there seems like it might be the only option.

Looking for other ideas, options, or experiences that can help the cause. Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by VektorPerforman
Lower control arms have plastic coverings, and removing the covers and strapping there seems like it might be the only option.
this
Old 11-15-2020, 01:40 PM

Received 251 Likes on 124 Posts
11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
There should be some reinforced T-Slots along the rocker panel ahead of the rear wheels. The likely have rubber or plastic plugs in them keeping debris out. Tie into those and cross the straps to the other side so they don’t get sucked into the rollers.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by The Machinist
There should be some reinforced T-Slots along the rocker panel ahead of the rear wheels. The likely have rubber or plastic plugs in them keeping debris out. Tie into those and cross the straps to the other side so they don’t get sucked into the rollers.
I have not tried but if it is like BMW, you pull out the plastic jack point thing and that leaves a hole you can hook into that is the strongest point on the body, usually you do that to pull it up onto a flat bed also.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:07 PM

E63
Awesome, thanks for the tips!
Old 11-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
2013 C63 P31
Awesome, thanks for the tips!
I'd just recommend you use a Dynapack or a Mainline. No wheelspin and far more precise for load tuning
Old 11-16-2020, 04:12 PM

E63
Originally Posted by blurred
I'd just recommend you use a Dynapack or a Mainline. No wheelspin and far more precise for load tuning
I've got an AWD Mustang 500SE. We've run +800 whp RWD without issues so I don't expect a stock C63 will give us much trouble. Sometime when we launch on it we get wheel spin :P Here's the cell with another shop car on it

Old 11-16-2020, 04:25 PM

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
2013 C63 P31
I've got an AWD Mustang 500SE. We've run +800 whp RWD without issues so I don't expect a stock C63 will give us much trouble. Sometime when we launch on it we get wheel spin :P Here's the cell with another shop car on it

I still stand by my statement though When running low power it won't be an issue, but tuning in the 1500whp+ range its much safer and reliable bolted to the hubs (not to mention not having to have a set of dyno tires!)
Old 11-16-2020, 10:01 PM

E63
Originally Posted by blurred

I still stand by my statement though When running low power it won't be an issue, but tuning in the 1500whp+ range its much safer and reliable bolted to the hubs (not to mention not having to have a set of dyno tires!)
I've use Mainline, Land and Sea, DynoCom, Dyno Jet, Mustang: in ground, hub, above ground and engine dynos. I went with the above ground Mustang and it has fit our needs very well over the last several years.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:26 PM

Received 251 Likes on 124 Posts
11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
I've use Mainline, Land and Sea, DynoCom, Dyno Jet, Mustang: in ground, hub, above ground and engine dynos. I went with the above ground Mustang and it has fit our needs very well over the last several years.
I had a brief stint at a performance shop that had a small roller dyno jet AwD dyno.

The small rollers weren’t worth a damn for cars over 8-900 rwhp. After that they would just do roll on burnouts on the dyno rollers. We had a twin turbo ZR-1 corvette with everything that said Chevrolet removed and thrown in the waste bin, and replaced with something more expensive.

When the turbos lit, it would just blow the rear tires off.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:28 PM

E63
Originally Posted by The Machinist
I had a brief stint at a performance shop that had a small roller dyno jet AwD dyno.

The small rollers weren’t worth a damn for cars over 8-900 rwhp. After that they would just do roll on burnouts on the dyno rollers. We had a twin turbo ZR-1 corvette with everything that said Chevrolet removed and thrown in the waste bin, and replaced with something more expensive.

When the turbos lit, it would just blow the rear tires off.
I've used the smaller roller dynos before. These are 12" and so far no issues and certainly improved feedback over the small rollers. This was a floor model, and it has a lot of options. One, that we've never used, allows the pumpkin to be pulled straight down between the rollers and the strap goes over a pulley to go out the back giving more mechanical advantage for that strap as well. We've never used it...never had a need to, but we don't do big HP stuff here. The dyno is good for 2,000hp/200mph, but we rarely use even half of that. Plus 95% of what we do here is AWD anyway.

The question in regard to the C63 strap down locations is for one of my personal cars. Considering some OTS mods and possibly some of my own. Nothing big power though since this is the family truckster. Tinkering after hours kind of stuff :P