Sponsored by:

Bedplate / Crankcase Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Unhappy Bedplate / Crankcase Oil Leak!

As I was coming home from a weekend drive I noticed a small dark spot on my garage floor. To my surprise it was an oil droplet; about the size of a nickel.
My car has never leaked oil or anything for the matter. So this was worrisome.

Took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Seems to be the Casecrank / Bedplate leaking oil. I thought this was crazy for a hand build engine that just hit 30,000 miles to be leaking oil.
In order for them to fix this they will need to remove the engine to get to the area that needs to be resealed.
A $4,000+ repair!

I did my own inspection to see if it truly was coming from the Crankcase / Bedplate. Oil made its way everywhere. I cleaned everything as well as I could and had it sit over night.
Everything was dry! No signs of oil anywhere. I started the car up and let it run for 20 mins, this is when you started to see the oil seep through the Casecrank / Bedplate. It was more of an ooze then a "leak".
To me it seemed it would take time for it to build up and eventually hit the ground.

(Dry after cleaning)

(Car running for 20mins)

The shop did say they would help me out with a 10% discount on the job; not much but anything helps. After a few days I decided to call Mercedes Customer Care. Boy that was a let down.
They took a few days to look up my car and talk to the dealership. I did not expect them to cover the whole cost but I did think they would help me out with maybe 50% of the fees. Nope, nothing.
The person I was speaking to had the audacity to say that Mercedes will go ahead an honor that 10% from the dealership. Um... the dealership said they would do that for me before I even spoke to you. He was trying to make it seem in a way they are helping a customer out; but they really weren't.

Anyways, it is what it is and will have to suck it up and pay the price to get it fixed.

Any thoughts on this? I see this is not a common issue as I only found one thread with the same issue with also low miles. I would expect this to happen maybe when our cars hit 80K+ miles, not 30k miles.
Shame.

Also, while doing my own inspection I did notice a very unusual thing. When the car was running I could see the oil build up and pass onto a bolt. This bolt began to create oil bubbles with the oil around it.
Not sure if there is air coming through or if its the vibration of the engine creating the bubbles.
Let the experts here decide

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.mov (4.27 MB, 55 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
E63
Wow that's a ton of labor cost. Might be worth shopping around. If you have private or performance shops nearby that specialize in AMG you'll likely find better rates. Just do your homework on the shops.

Hand built engine is a two-sided sword. People make mistakes far more than a machine, but machines don't quite have the feedback (yet) of a person.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 AM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Originally Posted by VektorPerforman
Wow that's a ton of labor cost. Might be worth shopping around. If you have private or performance shops nearby that specialize in AMG you'll likely find better rates. Just do your homework on the shops.

Hand built engine is a two-sided sword. People make mistakes far more than a machine, but machines don't quite have the feedback (yet) of a person.
Thanks. I’m in Utah, no one really specializes in AMG here. Closest place that would probably have a shop is Las Vegas (6hr drive).
Old 01-15-2021, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by The_BigBoy
Took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Seems to be the Casecrank / Bedplate leaking oil. I thought this was crazy for a hand build engine that just hit 30,000 miles to be leaking oil.
In order for them to fix this they will need to remove the engine to get to the area that needs to be resealed.
A $4,000+ repair!

Lol that's my exceptional MS paint skills right there. Did you image search this or find the thread I put it in? The member had the same leak as do I (for many many years) and a few others I know. Fortunately the undertray collects it and I just wipe it up ever so often.

Anyways, it is what it is and will have to suck it up and pay the price to get it fixed.

Any thoughts on this? I see this is not a common issue as I only found one thread with the same issue with also low miles. I would expect this to happen maybe when our cars hit 80K+ miles, not 30k miles.
Shame.
You can try cleaning it and using an exterior gasket sealer like --> https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...air/?locale=en

Also, while doing my own inspection I did notice a very unusual thing. When the car was running I could see the oil build up and pass onto a bolt. This bolt began to create oil bubbles with the oil around it.
Not sure if there is air coming through or if its the vibration of the engine creating the bubbles.
Let the experts here decide
Which bolt? Some have mentioned engine mount adapter bolts being too long that end up cracking the bedpan causing oil to seep out from around it.
The following users liked this post:
The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts
2010 C63 AMG RIP. 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2013 C63 coupe
To me it looks like you have air coming through the treads of the bolt. I think the bolt is loose and wasn't tightened properly during assembly. The reason I say is that the squeeze out of the gasket material in that area where the bolt is located (marked red in pic) seem lower than the in a section farther to the right. (marked blue)
If that is the case make sure to document it and take the info to Mercedes and see if they are willing to reduce the cost even more.

I could also be wrong because the gasket material is applied toward the crank case when going around the threaded holes.

That only one bolt is loose is unlikely because the bolts are usually torqued to spec right away w/o being pre-torqued.

Last edited by sventastic82; 01-15-2021 at 11:12 AM.
The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 01:02 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Sedan
Originally Posted by VektorPerforman

Hand built is a bit of an overstatement, and mostly a marketing them. It's more like hand guided, as nearly everything critical is still automated.

Here's a video of our close cousin, the M159, being assembled:

At 4:20, you will see the step where sealant is applied, followed by the torqueing sequence. Looks pretty automated/computer controlled to me. It's just that the volumes aren't high enough to justify full automation.

Unrelated: That dude's eyes are a thing of nightmares.

Last edited by BalanBro; 01-15-2021 at 01:04 PM.
The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Probably safe to assume the sealant was also applied via machine for the upper pan as well.
The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 01:22 PM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Lol that's my exceptional MS paint skills right there. Did you image search this or find the thread I put it in? The member had the same leak as do I (for many many years) and a few others I know. Fortunately the undertray collects it and I just wipe it up ever so often.

You can try cleaning it and using an exterior gasket sealer like --> https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...air/?locale=en

Which bolt? Some have mentioned engine mount adapter bolts being too long that end up cracking the bedpan causing oil to seep out from around it.
I found your lovely image on google. Thanks!
Has this issue given you any problems down the road other than something else to clean every so often?

I was looking into that engine sealant but wasn't sure if it would be frowned upon in the AMG community......

As for the bolt its where the Upper Pan connects to the Bedplate.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:24 PM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Originally Posted by sventastic82
To me it looks like you have air coming through the treads of the bolt. I think the bolt is loose and wasn't tightened properly during assembly. The reason I say is that the squeeze out of the gasket material in that area where the bolt is located (marked red in pic) seem lower than the in a section farther to the right. (marked blue)
If that is the case make sure to document it and take the info to Mercedes and see if they are willing to reduce the cost even more.

I could also be wrong because the gasket material is applied toward the crank case when going around the threaded holes.

That only one bolt is loose is unlikely because the bolts are usually torqued to spec right away w/o being pre-torqued.
You make a good point and will take note.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I found your lovely image on google. Thanks!
Has this issue given you any problems down the road other than something else to clean every so often?
Yours appears to be leaking much more than mine so it's possible you need to snug some of those bolts down. But no, I haven't had problems other than the mess.

I was looking into that engine sealant but wasn't sure if it would be frowned upon in the AMG community......
LOL a $10 can of something vs pulling your engine out. I wouldn't care if the "AMG community" got upset.

As for the bolt its where the Upper Pan connects to the Bedplate.
Yeah, this is a common-ish leak.
The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
300d 1995
It’s your car dude

I find it pretty hilarious that you think somehow the dealer should take responsibility. They didn’t build the car or cause the issue. That is a massive job and requires a certain amount of expertise to do properly. Why should the tech or dealer give you a break for something that’s A) not their fault and B) not their car. Sorry you have this issue but the manufacturer is probably the only “liable” party here besides yourself.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Polarisrmk
I find it pretty hilarious that you think somehow the dealer should take responsibility. They didn’t build the car or cause the issue. That is a massive job and requires a certain amount of expertise to do properly. Why should the tech or dealer give you a break for something that’s A) not their fault and B) not their car. Sorry you have this issue but the manufacturer is probably the only “liable” party here besides yourself.
Quality first post

That's exactly what a dealer is for. To negotiate the transaction between the manufacture and the end user. In this case, the responsibility of the flaw.

Maybe the manufacture can swallow some of the labour, which, the dealer passes onto the end user.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:58 PM

300d 1995
Quality first post

That's exactly what a dealer is for. To negotiate the transaction between the manufacture and the end user. In this case, the responsibility of the flaw.

Maybe the manufacture can swallow some of the labour, which, the dealer passes onto the end user.
you’ve obviously never worked for a dealer... this vehicle is way outside the original warranty by time. The manufacturers would rarely ever consider assistance on a car that old
Old 01-15-2021, 10:21 PM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Please learn to read and reread my post.... HookedOnPhonics.com

No where was I upset with the dealer. I was actually shocked that they would be helping me out by giving me a 10% discount.
Mercedes of Draper has always taken care of me.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 395 Likes on 267 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Unrelated but are you the “big boy” chef Ramsey is always going on about?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
you’ve obviously never worked for a dealer..
No, I'm not a peasant...

I know, good faith is completely unheard of outside of warranty. Wait....
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
fflmlf (01-16-2021), The_BigBoy (01-15-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:03 PM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition

By chance, does anyone know the size socket I would need for these bolts and the torque spec?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 251 Likes on 124 Posts
11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi

By chance, does anyone know the size socket I would need for these bolts and the torque spec?
I believe those bolts to all be torque to yield. I would advise buying new ones and replacing them one at a time.

I can’t help with the torque spec or size.
The_BigBoy (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 05:04 PM

11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
you’ve obviously never worked for a dealer... this vehicle is way outside the original warranty by time. The manufacturers would rarely ever consider assistance on a car that old
No, I'm not a peasant...

At 30,000 miles no matter how old the car is, this is a manufacturing oversight As long as the engine has never been opened up. I would expect some good faith.

I tend to take my quality control very seriously and would be mortified if I had built that engine.

I’ve a reputation to keep.

I remember the other thing I wanted to say.

OP: Don’t buy an Audi. I’ve never had one that didn’t leak something. You can always tell where there’s been a bunch of Audis at a car meet. I used to troll my little brother when he’d send me a picture of his S4 with other Audis. I’d ask how much oil was leaked in the making of that picture.

Last edited by The Machinist; 01-16-2021 at 05:27 PM.
The_BigBoy (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 05:57 PM

300d 1995

e10
The_BigBoy (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 PM

300d 1995
No, I'm not a peasant...

was unaware that a honest career makes you a peasant. Dually noted
dcpatters (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:12 PM

300d 1995
Originally Posted by The Machinist
At 30,000 miles no matter how old the car is, this is a manufacturing oversight As long as the engine has never been opened up. I would expect some good faith.

I tend to take my quality control very seriously and would be mortified if I had built that engine.

OP: Don’t buy an Audi. I’ve never had one that didn’t leak something. You can always tell where there’s been a bunch of Audis at a car meet. I used to troll my little brother when he’d send me a picture of his S4 with other Audis. I’d ask how much oil was leaked in the making of that picture.
I completely agree with you but after working with Mbusa for the last 20 years I assure u they don’t share the same sentiment
Old 01-16-2021, 06:30 PM

2015 c63 AMG 507 edition
Originally Posted by The Machinist

Ya, its a shame that it has happened. I take great care of my cars; friends say I baby them lol

No good faith from MBusa. Spoke with them and so did the dealership. Came back with "there is nothing we can do. Have a great day"......

The following 2 users liked this post by The_BigBoy:
Homer Oz (09-15-2021), Mort (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)

According to Alldatadiy those bolts are M6 and the required torque is 8.4 Nm.
The_BigBoy (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:58 PM

I completely agree with you but after working with Mbusa for the last 20 years I assure u they don’t share the same sentiment

I would say that most don’t. VW used to. Since “dieselgate” they have become a different company. I got screwed by them recently over an obviously defective DMF. Don’t **** with a machinist who has access to a CMM, then try to tell him that he’s wrong, and 8mm of axial play is totally ok and not the cause of his issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bedplate / Crankcase Oil Leak!