Sponsored by:

Tuned or not tuned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2021 | 05:40 PM

W204- C63
Tuned or not tuned?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has a C63 that has removed their secondary cats and ran straight pipes without a tune. I’m not the original owner and can not confirm or deny if the car has a tune on it already. However it appears to have a custom exhaust, the previous owner removed the secondary cats and resonators. They also managed to custom weld a set of what appears to be exhaust mufflers and tips from a E63 maybe a W212. In short I’d like to know if anyone has this kind of setup or similar and without a tune. If so, did they have any issues such as CEL or limp home modes, etc. This can help me some what gauge if my car has a tune already. I’ve had the car for roughly 3 years and roughly out in 20k miles with some spirited driving, I means it’s an AMG right.

Thanks again for any and all help.
Old 04-03-2021 | 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I would guess a lot of people just make it louder with some exhaust mods and call it a day and don't tune it.
Old 04-03-2021 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
That level of exhaust mods does not require a tune but that does not mean it does not have a tune as people who do exhaust mods sometimes tune it as well even if it is not required. So, hard to tell as roadkillrob has stated.
Old 04-04-2021 | 09:40 AM

W204- C63
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I definitely wasn’t sure since in previous cars I’ve modified and removed the Cats, this caused issues until I had the car tuned.
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
In this case it is the secondary cats that are removed and they are not monitored. Therefore no need for a tune to correct for the CEL that might otherwise occur when the primary cats are removed.
Old 04-05-2021 | 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by enforcer
I’ve had the car for roughly 3 years and roughly out in 20k miles with some spirited driving
Did you just look under the car one day and notice the exhaust? 3 years is a lengthy time to ponder about what to do .
Old 04-05-2021 | 01:09 PM

W204- C63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Did you just look under the car one day and notice the exhaust? 3 years is a lengthy time to ponder about what to do .
lol, totally understand the response. Actually I’ve know for some time the exhaust was modified. However I’m currently pondering the idea of tuning the car with either the Weistec or Eurocharged tune. I started the paperwork for the Weistec just to see what they ask for and noticed they want you to note any and all mods to include if the emissions system has been modified. I can only assume that over the countless mail order tunes they’ve done that some people have had issues only later finding out their “custom” exhaust was causing issue with their new tune.
Old 04-05-2021 | 01:21 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
what paperwork are you starting with Weistec?

in regards to a tune, a datalog will show if you have a tune. additionally, if you scan for emissions readiness and if your catalytic sensors and o2 heater are listed as NA or not ready, generally that means they've been coded out.

I can't speak for any other company, but I keep records for all of my customers. Additionally, with my process I'll know once it comes time to tune if the customer has a previous tune. Generally, my customers who have tunes or don't have tunes really care about it any longer which is why they've come my way.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 04-05-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2021 | 02:34 PM

W204- C63
Originally Posted by hachiroku
what paperwork are you starting with Weistec?

in regards to a tune, a datalog will show if you have a tune. additionally, if you scan for emissions readiness and if your catalytic sensors and o2 heater are listed as NA or not ready, generally that means they've been coded out.

I can't speak for any other company, but I keep records for all of my customers. Additionally, with my process I'll know once it comes time to tune I'd the customer has a previous tune. Generally, my customers who have tunes or don't have tunes really care about it any longer which is why they've come my way.
no data logging here. I guess if I had a way of doing so I could find that out.

Wesitc has a form called “calibration request form”.
https://www.weistec.com/support . Seems pretty standard and straight forward.