Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M156 / M159 Racing Coolant Thermostat by BlackBoost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by hachiroku
oil temps have a direct correlation with coolant temps. if coolant temps rise so will oil temps.
Sure they do Barry. Even the colour of your hood has a direct relationship with coolant temps as I am sure a black hood in the sun will soak up more heat and heat up the head covers and intake plenum underneath by 0.1 degrees more than a white one would. I trust you are not suggesting that the high oil temperatures are a result of coolant temperatures? Has Mercedes being lying to us all this time making us spend money on oil coolers if the solution is to just pull out the thermostat?
Old 06-01-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Sure they do Barry. Even the colour of your hood has a direct relationship with coolant temps as I am sure a black hood in the sun will soak up more heat and heat up the head covers and intake plenum underneath by 0.1 degrees more than a white one would. I trust you are not suggesting that the high oil temperatures are a result of coolant temperatures? Has Mercedes being lying to us all this time making us spend money on oil coolers if the solution is to just pull out the thermostat?
) you can't be more than 20 years old, when you wake up let me know.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 116 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG PP+ 2010
Edit: Ah, I just don't feel like saying anything more about the behavior here.

Last edited by SRG_C63; 06-01-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:15 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by SRG_C63
Edit: Ah, I just don't feel like saying anything more about the behavior here.
how it's your behaviour when you read bs ?
Old 06-01-2021, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
@Tasosmos2 / @TK_BlackBoost - you are the one(s) selling a gizmo and telling us that it solves a problem that does not exist, but you are not providing any data or evidence to support your claim that such a problem even exists, let alone how your thermostat bypass solves it. Seeing as you clearly have the experience and equipment, do what @Jasonoff did and @hachiroku and @Phil1305 suggested earlier, and show us full data logs from a fully warmed up C63 or SLS (not an E63 with an M157 turbo motor) clearly showing air, oil and coolant temperatures with the stock thermostat and then your thermostat bypass. I mean, don't you want to prove me wrong seeing as what I am saying is apparently all bs? I really like learning new things and (unlike some) welcome opposing ideas and constructive criticism, so please show us the data that proves your point from just one of these 20 "bone stock 100K km W204 C63s with coolant at 140C" that are apparently not going into limp mode because of oil overheating issues because that in itself would indeed be a major discovery. Pretty please?

Until you do, I maintain that this product is about as useful and needed as the intake spacers that someone else on the board was peddling. I am afraid the bs you are smelling may be a lot closer to you than you think. And, I sincerely wish that I was only 20 years old and that this is all just a bad dream.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:31 PM

Audi
@Tasosmos2 / @TK_BlackBoost - you are the one(s) selling a gizmo and telling us that it solves a problem that does not exist, but you are not providing any data or evidence to support your claim that such a problem even exists, let alone how your thermostat bypass solves it. Seeing as you clearly have the experience and equipment, do what @Jasonoff did and @hachiroku and @Phil1305 suggested earlier, and show us full data logs from a fully warmed up C63 or SLS (not an E63 with an M157 turbo motor) clearly showing air, oil and coolant temperatures with the stock thermostat and then your thermostat bypass. I mean, don't you want to prove me wrong seeing as what I am saying is apparently all bs? I really like learning new things and (unlike some) welcome opposing ideas and constructive criticism, so please show us the data that proves your point from just one of these 20 "bone stock 100K km W204 C63s with coolant at 140C" that are apparently not going into limp mode because of oil overheating issues because that in itself would indeed be a major discovery. Pretty please?

Until you do, I maintain that this product is about as useful and needed as the intake spacers that someone else on the board was peddling. I am afraid the bs you are smelling may be a lot closer to you than you think. And, I sincerely wish that I was only 20 years old and that this is all just a bad dream.
I shouldn't waste my time with you from the first place,
you are not using even your real name Mr. Engineer, you afraid something or what?
Tell me something, what is your experience on M156/M159?

Where are you working?

Maybe you are not 20 years old but your mind looks like it's stuck there.

one advice: it's very childish to grab some words who said someone and giving different meaning.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tasosmos2
I shouldn't waste my time with you from the first place,
you are not using even your real name Mr. Engineer, you afraid something or what?
Tell me something, what is your experience on M156/M159?

Where are you working?

Maybe you are not 20 years old but your mind looks like it's stuck there.

one advice: it's very childish to grab some words who said someone and giving different meaning.
Instead of making personal attacks, why don't you put your f---ing money where you mouth is and show us some data? YOU are the one selling stuff and making unsubstantiated claims, not me. And you call me 20 years old? Grow up man.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Audi
Instead of making personal attacks, why don't you put your f---ing money where you mouth is and show us some data? YOU are the one selling stuff and making unsubstantiated claims, not me. And you call me 20 years old? Grow up man.
I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm saying from the beginning that the specific product it's NOT for daily use and it's not something that you need especially in cold country, if I want to promote something I can give some fake numbers like the most companies doing, instead of that we said from the beginning that it's for racing applications and not for street use.
From your side as an engineer with experience on M156/M159 engines you didn't even understand what this part is let alone that you don't even know how the thermostat works.
Once again what kind of engineer doesn't know how a thermostat function?
Let me give you the answer:
most probably you are construction engineer that's why.

At this point I want to apologise for calling you 20 years old,
you are not even 10 years old

When I found some time I will post a video to see everyone the difference between stock vs open.
The only problem when I post the video is that I wouldn't be able to see your face.
The following users liked this post:
wheelspk2131 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-01-2021, 03:32 PM

Audi
You didn't mention where are you working? and what's your name?
from your side you know to who you are talking to,
from my side I know only that I'm talking with someone with a mind of a 10 years old kid. Prove me wrong if you are so smart but first google it to prepare yourself. 😉

Last edited by Tasosmos2; 06-01-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
you don't even know how the thermostat works.
For anyone who needs to see it visually.

Flow from the engine to the radiator is partially restricted even when the thermostat is completely open. I'm guessing with this device installed, the water pump can circulate coolant through the radiator quicker, or a larger volume, improving the thermal efficiency?
Tasosmos2 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Audi
from my side I know only that I'm talking with someone with a mind of a 10 years old kid. Prove me wrong if you are so smart but first google it to prepare yourself. 😉

Last edited by Tasosmos2; 06-01-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:47 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
For anyone who needs to see it visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6GGBGAa2Hg

Flow from the engine to the radiator is partially restricted even when the thermostat is completely open. I'm guessing with this device installed, the water pump can circulate coolant through the radiator quicker, or a larger volume, improving the thermal efficiency?
Thank you very much, finally someone who get it!
Old 06-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Audi
did you know that I can read all your previous comments on MBworld?
apparently I'm not the only one who makes personal attacks, what happen now you don't like it? Or you think that only you you can make personal attacks?
Once again construction engineer with a 10 years old mind I really want to see your smart face when I will upload the video.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I’m bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don’t perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet seen a working W204 C63 overheating the coolant that hasn't already overheated the engine oil and gone into limp mode 20 minutes earlier... unless it uses Peter Popoff's Miracle Water instead of coolant (which I now suspect you also make).

Old 06-01-2021, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry everyone - that was just too hard to resist. I will let you debate the relative merits of reducing the coolant temperatures in peace.

Tasos - if you want to continue sparring, please PM me and we can take it off the thread. It's really not fair to the rest of the readers watching us macho keyboard warriors having a pissing contest. And yes, I am waiting with baited breath to see your video proving me wrong.

I'm out.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Audi
Sorry everyone - that was just too hard to resist. I will let you debate the relative merits of reducing the coolant temperatures in peace.

Tasos - if you want to continue sparring, please PM me and we can take it off the thread. It's really not fair to the rest of the readers watching us macho keyboard warriors having a pissing contest. And yes, I am waiting with baited breath to see your video proving me wrong.

I'm out.
Me too, I will talk again with numbers.
Just for your information I'm coming angry because we did all this not for advertising but because we afraid that someone will install the thermostat cancellation in a cold country and he will end up destroying his engine.
That's the reason why I upload 2 videos on ytb trying to be clear that it's not for daily use especially in a cold country.
anyway it does work excellent here, up to now we have install it on 1 SLS and 1 C63 and there's huge difference.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Thank you very much, finally someone who get it!
Just for some perspective. In your first video, you read my unedited post (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post8347320) and assumed I was an idiot. Later you realize that's not the case --> https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post8348625 so mistakes easily happen on the internet right? No biggie.

Reading the correspondence between you and Diabolis, it's clear many assumptions were initially made and now it's just an ego pissing match. You BOTH made mistakes to fkn get over it.

This product is NOT for street use which was clear if you paid attention to the first post or any of the videos. It was also VERY clear it's not suitable for colder climates. Tisk tisk if you didn't pay attention to detail and ranted with an irrelevant post.

The reason it decreases coolant temps VS an open thermostat is because it's less restrictive. Allowing more flow through an existing radiator is effectually the same as adding a larger radiator with the same flow. Fluid dynamics 101 so argue that all you want, I don't care.

I think a huge assumption here is that the OE radiator was already maxed out so adding this device would effectively be the same as an open thermostat which is obviously NOT the case.

For ANY engineer out there (yes I am one and it's not construction lol), you're familiar with the theory VS practical argument. Practical wins 9 times out of 10.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
BLKROKT (03-31-2023), Tasosmos2 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 04:40 AM

Audi
Just for some perspective. In your first video, you read my unedited post (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post8347320) and assumed I was an idiot. Later you realize that's not the case --> https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post8348625 so mistakes easily happen on the internet right? No biggie.

Reading the correspondence between you and Diabolis, it's clear many assumptions were initially made and now it's just an ego pissing match. You BOTH made mistakes to fkn get over it.

This product is NOT for street use which was clear if you paid attention to the first post or any of the videos. It was also VERY clear it's not suitable for colder climates. Tisk tisk if you didn't pay attention to detail and ranted with an irrelevant post.

The reason it decreases coolant temps VS an open thermostat is because it's less restrictive. Allowing more flow through an existing radiator is effectually the same as adding a larger radiator with the same flow. Fluid dynamics 101 so argue that all you want, I don't care.

I think a huge assumption here is that the OE radiator was already maxed out so adding this device would effectively be the same as an open thermostat which is obviously NOT the case.

For ANY engineer out there (yes I am one and it's not construction lol), you're familiar with the theory VS practical argument. Practical wins 9 times out of 10.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TK_BlackBoost
Hello there,

I will look into the functionrahmen to see what is mentioned word by word, functionrahmen always very difficult to read. :-) ill do my best.
Any chance you made some traction on this?
Old 06-04-2021, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
I haven’t read everything here but I can confirm the dash engine coolant temp is different to when logging from the obd. I use HP tuners to data log, and freaked out when I saw 105+ water temp when on my log yet on the dash it was saying 92c (btw this is in Celsius). So Tasos is correct. I had no idea so i changed my sensor and only by reading through this thread he confirmed what I didn’t know.
The following 2 users liked this post by RNS-11Z:
Phil1305 (06-04-2021), Tasosmos2 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by RNS-11Z
I haven’t read everything here but I can confirm the dash engine coolant temp is different to when logging from the obd. I use HP tuners to data log, and freaked out when I saw 105+ water temp when on my log yet on the dash it was saying 92c (btw this is in Celsius). So Tasos is correct. I had no idea so i changed my sensor and only by reading through this thread he confirmed what I didn’t know.
Don't ODB readings lag?
Old 06-04-2021, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by RNS-11Z
When I first logged a track session after adding a shroud around my aftermarket oil cooler, I saw 116°C in the log which was causing limp mode. I thought the sensor was faulty as well because the dash was showing 94°C, maybe 95°C.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by G_Money
Don't ODB readings lag?
Depends what you're using to scan them with. The signal itself doesn't but the tool reading them can be slow.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
G_Money (06-04-2021), Tasosmos2 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
for us the number on the engine matters and not a programmed value output on the display which OEM did.
Do you know where they get it from? Is it just a programmed value based on input from multiple sensors?
Hello there,

I will look into the functionrahmen to see what is mentioned word by word, functionrahmen always very difficult to read. :-) ill do my best.
Any chance you made some traction on this?
Quick bump. Did you manage to figure this one out?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:07 AM
SPONSOR

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG
Quick bump. Did you manage to figure this one out?

Hi bro, i hope this week we can pull the C63 M156 on the dyno.

will share all data then, same time i will look into the Funktionsrahmen to see what information is in it.
Jasonoff (06-24-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M156 / M159 Racing Coolant Thermostat by BlackBoost