Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
2010 C63 M156 Engine Oil

Hi,

New owner of a 2010 C63 in Australia.

Sorry to post an oil thread but I could not find an answer to my question after searching.

The oil in the car is Castrol Edge 5W-40 A3/B4 Engine Oil which the bottle says is a "full synthetic" oil. The oil needs changing and I am thinking of switching to Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40 which seems to be highly recommended. The bottle on that says it has "Synthese Technology". Is that also "full synthetic", just marketed differently or an entirely different type? Basically, is it safe to use Molygen after Castrol Edge? I see that both are recommended for MB 229.5

I don't have a lifter tick issue and my engine runs well as far as I can tell on Castrol but I'm hoping that Molygen will help with a slight 1-2 second chatter I have on cold start ups.

Help is very much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Try Google? It says it's fully synthetic and the liqui moly product page says can be combined with all commercially available oils.

​​​​​​​
Old 08-22-2021, 01:16 AM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by Dr.Speedfellow
Try Google? It says it's fully synthetic and the liqui moly product page says can be combined with all commercially available oils.

Thanks Dr.Speedfellow.

I found the product page for Molygen confusing https://products.liqui-moly.com/moly...n-5w-40-1.html.

​​​​​​​ It only says "Synthese Technologie" next to oil type and no mention of it being fully synthetic.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
FYI the 1-2sec chatter on startup is likely an indication of worn cam adjuster plates. Oil may mask it, but not fix it. It will get worse, keep an eye on it.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:07 AM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
FYI the 1-2sec chatter on startup is likely an indication of worn cam adjuster plates. Oil may mask it, but not fix it. It will get worse, keep an eye on it.
Thanks BLKROKT. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Will keep an eye on it. I assume if it gets worse (i.e. starts doing it on warm start ups) I'll have to get new cam adjuster plates... not looking forward to finding out what that will cost in Aus!
Old 08-22-2021, 07:21 AM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Abyss
Thanks BLKROKT. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Will keep an eye on it. I assume if it gets worse (i.e. starts doing it on warm start ups) I'll have to get new cam adjuster plates... not looking forward to finding out what that will cost in Aus!
Hey mate, fellow aussie here.
for new cam adjusters hit up 63Everything/63motorsports on instagram. He sells aftermarket cam adjusters that are far superior to the oem units. Cheaper too. Probably a good idea to change your lifters to the sls black series lifters while the valve covers are off.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:29 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by Panzerbiscuit
Hey mate, fellow aussie here.
for new cam adjusters hit up 63Everything/63motorsports on instagram. He sells aftermarket cam adjusters that are far superior to the oem units. Cheaper too. Probably a good idea to change your lifters to the sls black series lifters while the valve covers are off.

Thanks mate. Car is going in for an oil change with Molygen soon. Will in the meantime order the cam adjuster plates from 63motorsports to eventually replace. Do you know where I can get the sls black series lifters? Are they much better than stock or only for those that have the lifter tick?

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2021, 11:01 PM

C63 AMG
Thanks mate. Car is going in for an oil change with Molygen soon. Will in the meantime order the cam adjuster plates from 63motorsports to eventually replace. Do you know where I can get the sls black series lifters? Are they much better than stock or only for those that have the lifter tick?
63motorsports can supply the sls bs lifters as well. Way cheaper than wesitec or through Mercedes here. Trust me. Dont ask them for a quote. I changed mine out pre emptively and whilst my engine was open. I didn't have any lifter tick or cam adjuster rattle.

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, i am having a slight issue with my bs lifters. They are quite loud. 63motorsports has commented on the sound of them being quite concerning. I've done ~1200km on them since the install and they have worked flawlessly. My mechanic who did the install isn't as concerned and doesn't think its my lifters. I am going to try revving my engine to 3k rpm for 2 mins to try and increase the oil pressure in my engine to clear any blockages/prime the lifters. Then immediately flush my engine, and perform an oil change with an oil i am familiar with and have used before without issue. Im currently using motul 300v, which ive never used before. If my lifters are still loud I will have my mechanic investigate further by taking the valve covers off and checking out the lifters.

As for the sls bs lifters being better, well that sort of depends. Why would the sls bs use them over the stock ones of they aren't "better"?. They are lighter, coated entirely in an anti friction/abrasion coating, will last longer and have larger oil galleries.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:09 AM

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG P31 Estate wagon
Originally Posted by Panzerbiscuit
63motorsports can supply the sls bs lifters as well. Way cheaper than wesitec or through Mercedes here. Trust me. Dont ask them for a quote. I changed mine out pre emptively and whilst my engine was open. I didn't have any lifter tick or cam adjuster rattle.

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, i am having a slight issue with my bs lifters. They are quite loud. 63motorsports has commented on the sound of them being quite concerning. I've done ~1200km on them since the install and they have worked flawlessly. My mechanic who did the install isn't as concerned and doesn't think its my lifters. I am going to try revving my engine to 3k rpm for 2 mins to try and increase the oil pressure in my engine to clear any blockages/prime the lifters. Then immediately flush my engine, and perform an oil change with an oil i am familiar with and have used before without issue. Im currently using motul 300v, which ive never used before. If my lifters are still loud I will have my mechanic investigate further by taking the valve covers off and checking out the lifters.

As for the sls bs lifters being better, well that sort of depends. Why would the sls bs use them over the stock ones of they aren't "better"?. They are lighter, coated entirely in an anti friction/abrasion coating, will last longer and have larger oil galleries.
If the BS lifters do have larger oil galleries maybe they are draining out too quick at lower speed.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:26 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cwagon
If the BS lifters do have larger oil galleries maybe they are draining out too quick at lower speed.
That's entirely possible, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to make that determination. One person says its my lifters, and my mechanic says it isn't. So in the interest of being safe, I'll have all possibilities investigated.

From all accounts, the motul 300v 5/40 is "racing" oil and could be **** thin/less viscous and does drain out of the lifters faster?

Ive ordered some liqui moly hydraulic lifter additive to hopefully clear our the galleries of any blockages, if there are any.

The real head scratcher is, the lifters are noisy, but the noise doesn't increase in tempo if i increase the revs. The noise stay the same and constant at all revs.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 340 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Hi,

New owner of a 2010 C63 in Australia.

Sorry to post an oil thread but I could not find an answer to my question after searching.

The oil in the car is Castrol Edge 5W-40 A3/B4 Engine Oil which the bottle says is a "full synthetic" oil. The oil needs changing and I am thinking of switching to Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40 which seems to be highly recommended. The bottle on that says it has "Synthese Technology". Is that also "full synthetic", just marketed differently or an entirely different type? Basically, is it safe to use Molygen after Castrol Edge? I see that both are recommended for MB 229.5

I don't have a lifter tick issue and my engine runs well as far as I can tell on Castrol but I'm hoping that Molygen will help with a slight 1-2 second chatter I have on cold start ups.

Help is very much appreciated.
If interested, here are the latest MB oil specs:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Spec_223_2.pdf (359.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Ford G6E Turbo / 2013 C63 Coupe - AMG Performance Pack
I 've used the Castrol Edge 0W/40 in my car for the last 3 oil changes. Also used the same oil in another car of mine (2010 Ford G6E Turbo) for the last 11 years and she still runs sweet.

For a daily, and outside some of the boutique oils, the Castrol or Mobil 1 in 0W/40 flavour seem to have some of the better UOA's based on my observations on the Bob Is the Oil Guy forum. I also understand the Castrol 0W/40 has a better base stock oil compared to the Castrol 5W/40.