Review of WaveTrac Limited Slip Differential LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 03:37 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Review of WaveTrac Limited Slip Differential LSD

To preface this topic to fill you all in on where I am coming from. My background consists of entertaining hobbies over the past 17 years in all forms of motorsports. With that in mind, I have driven or owned limited slip differentials of types, factory clutch type 1 way, factory viscous locking, factory helical, aftermarket 2 way clutch type, aftermarket 1 way clutch type, and aftermarket 1.5 way clutch type.

Over this time, I had prioritized ideally moving to purchase a clutch type. After some searching, discovered the 1 available for our platforms is upwards of 3-5k for the differential alone. My second sights were then on purchase of a Wavetrac with steel shims versus the carbon shims which increase engagement an unknown amount. I would guesstimate it would increase engagement of 7% and no more.

Here’s something else you won’t find in any other design:
The Wavetrac® diff’s behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs. It comes standard with carbon-fiber bias plates for the best all around performance and lifetime durability. Changeable plates using materials with different friction coefficients to fine-tune the bias ratio are sold separately.

These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the bias plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.
Well, as life is ever changing, I ran into a steller deal to pickup a new Wavetrac in standard configuration for a great price. Three Months later, it is finally installed and here are my comments and review.

Initial impressions from the perspective of one who prefers road racing and taking turns as quickly and aggressively as possible:
  • Engagement is soft and OEM like
  • It works so slowly and gently you don't feel its there doing much
  • Works only while on throttle more than 30% in medium or higher torque situations
  • While turning, torque bias is of a small percentage, focus is on traction and not increased cornering or handling ability
  • Focus is on traction and not increased cornering or handling ability
  • Drag launches, definitely more traction and squirreliness.
  • I'm probably going to save up for a clutch type LSD for use in the future

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
The following 3 users liked this post by hachiroku:
CTF (10-06-2021), Saurabh914 (10-06-2021), Solo wing (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
To be honest, I don't think the CF bias plates do much. Sure it looks all fancy but it essentially behaves the same as a Quaife.

Did some comparisons on a patch of ice and it wasn't any better. Still a decent enough gear type LSD though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
hachiroku (10-06-2021), Saurabh914 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 09:06 PM
CTF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 PFL C63
Thank you for the information, I was thinking that an LSD was in my (soon) future too.
It seems that the Wavetrac units are preferred over the other options.
Did you have a chance to compare specifically for this car with other models of LSD?
Old 10-06-2021, 11:19 PM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
Im looking at getting an Ozgiken lsd, wonder how that'll compare with the wavetrac/quaife units
Old 10-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Originally Posted by Panzerbiscuit
Im looking at getting an Ozgiken lsd, wonder how that'll compare with the wavetrac/quaife units
I have the OSGiken tcd, great product. It performs beautifully on the track and is invisible during normal street driving: no noise and no engagement feel.

One thing most folks don't know, OS Giken's diffs are tunable from their company for a small extra charge. Provide them with expected use (autocross, drifting, drag racing, road racing, etc), power level, weight, tire size and type, major aero mods, etc and they will take all that into account to tweak your unit for you.

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 10-07-2021 at 10:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Speedfellow:
hachiroku (10-07-2021), Saurabh914 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
For performance (track) driving, I'd take an OS Giken over anything else on the market. It's a proper clutch-type diff that you can customize to your liking. Sure, unlike a gear-based diff the clutch plates will wear out over time, but then again so do rubber tires instead of solid steel railway car wheels.
The following users liked this post:
eightysixtuned (08-11-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
For performance (track) driving, I'd take an OS Giken over anything else on the market. It's a proper clutch-type diff that you can customize to your liking. Sure, unlike a gear-based diff the clutch plates will wear out over time, but then again so do rubber tires instead of solid steel railway car wheels.
The 0.2s per lap is totally worth 3-5x the cost as well
Old 10-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Apples and oranges trying to apply your approach to other people's build. Some people are trying to build a nice car with the highest quality parts they can find, and some people are building non street legal, gutted boxes for track only. It just depends what the mission is and whether someone wants any resale value at all left after their investment.

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 10-07-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Saurabh914 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It's not as much as the 0.2s per lap as it is being able to PREDICTABLY rotate the car by lifting off in a corner (which also applies on the street) instead of hitting the wall in turn 2 at Mosport for example.

Considering our speed limits, the amount of traffic and the quality of our roads, you can apply that same logic to owning any sporty car vs. a Ford F150 pickup argument, or having good Michelins vs. the cheapest Chaoyang tires that only cost 1/5th as much. If we are talking about differentials, the OS Giken is among the best ever made, period. Whether someone sees value in having that particular piece of hardware is a different argument altogether.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
It's not as much as the 0.2s per lap as it is being able to PREDICTABLY rotate the car by lifting off in a corner (which also applies on the street) instead of hitting the wall in turn 2 at Mosport for example.
Fair play. Dcel lockup is quite different in a clutch type.

Last edited by Jasonoff; 10-08-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fail play. Dcel lockup is quite different in a clutch type.
I suspect you intended to write "Fair" play. Indeed, the lockup on deceleration is one of the benefits of a clutch-type diff (and not ALL clutch-type diffs, mind you - only if they have been designed for it) vs. a gear-based one, which has a rather profound effect on the handling of the car under that specific condition. The preload is another thing that can be tweaked on a clutch-based LSD. These things don't matter to 99.5% of car owners and I completely concur that for them the additional expenditure would be wasted, but it does have specific benefits to the remaining 0.5%.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I suspect you intended to write "Fair" play.
Correct, it was a fail reply from my phone.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:42 PM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
I'm opting for the Ozgiken purely because I've heard that they are "the best", and i can get one for ~$400 more than a wavetrac or quaife. Which, when i factor in shipping for either the wavetrac or quaife brings me to about even.

In any case, i just need an lsd. The fact that an lsd was an optional extra on the C63 is a massive oversight on Mercedes-Benz's part.
Saurabh914 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 10:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
the big benefit of a differential like OS Giken like previously mentioned is the ability to custom order for your specific needs. in addition, tuning of lock up and ramp angles. lock up is when the differential begins acting and ramp angles are how aggressively the differential provides rotation. strength of the lockup as well as I'd assume with the OS Giken TCD you probably could configure with a 100% lock, which would simulate a drag spool or welded diff.

in opting for a OEM, rebuilt with thicker plates and harder springs or OS Giken, for the W211 I'd probably want to pair with a 3.06 final drive versus the factory 2.82. It would seem the W204 C63's come with a 3.06 final drive from the get go.

for most people who simply daily drive or drag race, a ATB differential like the Wavetrac or Quaife will satisfy their needs 99% of the time.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Saurabh914 (10-09-2021)