Sponsored by:

Totaled '11 C63 - Retain Salvage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 Weistec C63 AMG & 2012 Ducati SF848
Totaled '11 C63 - Retain Salvage?

On Jan 20th, a young lady ran a stop sign and pulled out across both northbound lanes of the thoroughfare I was traveling. This isn't to say that she completely failed to stop, as she stopped across both lanes, never entering the median left turn area until she and her vehicle were suddenly relocated there by the force of impact. Cut to present day...I replaced my beloved --and now totaled- 2011 C63 with a 2012 Weistec augmented version just yesterday and am already crazy about it

My question though is now whether or not to keep my 2011 C63 salvage vehicle and part it out? The insurance company has quoted me a price of $2000.00 for the salvage amount. The accident damage was confined to the frontal area, dead center. The car had 120k miles on it at the time of the accident. But the vehicle was well maintained, with engine mounts and fog lamps being the most recently replaced items. The engine while non operational due to the radiator having been shoved into it, losing antireeze all over the road at the scene. But it would make a great spares car for someone or even a great winter project for someone who has a place to keep it.

The last 6.3 engine that was actually sold on eBay (see eBay "completed sales only" filter on search terms "C63AMG 6.3 liter engine") went for around $9700.00 with over 100k miles on it. The car's interior was in great shape as well. And all electronics, window motors, seat motors, etc worked perfectly as well. The insurance repair estimate was around $18,180.00 if I remember correctly, with two airbags deployed (center steering wheel and drivers knee bag). I don't have garage space to keep it at present and would have to lease a storage unit to do so, adding to the total repair cost of the project for me personally. So if anyone else happens to wanna tackle the job, let me know within the next week or so and I'll be happy to exercise the option to retain the salvage if we can work out the details. I would much rather see it go to an enthusiast rather than allow it to go to some random auction.

Tref

Here is a photo showing impact damage....poor little thing. ;-\

ouch!
Old 02-25-2023, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
If I am understanding it correctly you can keep the damaged car for $2000?
also where is the car located?
Old 02-25-2023, 02:12 PM

Yes. The car is currently bat Copart here in Shreveport, LA. I haven’t signed the release or POA because USAA hasn’t come up with a figure that I consider reasonable yet for a total amount reimbursement for my vehicle. Once they do, I’ll sign. But regardless they’ve already checked for the estimate of what their team believes it’ll bring at auction and have agreed that I can have the car for $2k off the top of whatever they end up paying me for the accident. Then of course if I want to use the money to have the car repaired then it’s up to me. But they will still file for salvage title rebranding. So I or whomever will have to repair the car if that is what is intended and then go thru obtaining a rebuilt title for it before it can be licensed again. No need for that if it’s going to be a parts car. But as a stand-alone vehicle it would always have a rebuilt title on the books
Old 02-25-2023, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Yeah for 2000 it's a no brainer I mean engine and trans is ~$10,000 right there someone should definitely jump on this. If I wasn't so far away I might grab a trailer and come pick it up
The following 2 users liked this post by deadlyvt:
BLKROKT (02-27-2023), treffin (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:15 PM

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by treffin
Yes. The car is currently bat Copart here in Shreveport, LA. I haven’t signed the release or POA because USAA hasn’t come up with a figure that I consider reasonable yet for a total amount reimbursement for my vehicle. Once they do, I’ll sign. But regardless they’ve already checked for the estimate of what their team believes it’ll bring at auction and have agreed that I can have the car for $2k off the top of whatever they end up paying me for the accident. Then of course if I want to use the money to have the car repaired then it’s up to me. But they will still file for salvage title rebranding. So I or whomever will have to repair the car if that is what is intended and then go thru obtaining a rebuilt title for it before it can be licensed again. No need for that if it’s going to be a parts car. But as a stand-alone vehicle it would always have a rebuilt title on the books
That shouldn't be salvage, there is no structural damage. Its only expensive to fix but you can literally bolt off and then bolt on all new parts with no body or chassis work required.
The following users liked this post:
treffin (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Amg
As an owner of two salvage yards I can offer two bits of advice-

The purchase price is great. Selling parts is not.

"Performance car" Parts are typically bought and installed by people who broke theirs by abuse or neglect.

If you sell anything on ebay, you own it for 6 months as thats the time period a buyer can make a claim. I sell 0 engines from "performance" cars on ebay for this reason.

Also, you know the history of your car, so I think thats positive for selling parts.

One last thing to consider, the parts dont sell fast from these. I have a 38K miles M156 in my inventory, and I expect it to be there awhile.

I wish you luck, and if that salvage bid number is accurate, you should consider it.

Also if you wish to retain it, but not part it out but still make money, pm me.
treffin (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I just lost my w204 unfortunately. I got my first offer but sent it back. Awaiting to hear. It's non-63 but I'm pretty attached to it. If they're letting you keep it for 2k maybe they'll let me keep mine for less....

Has your offer been reasonable? Or still waiting?

Last edited by Adi-Benz; 02-28-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I just lost my w204 unfortunately. I got my first offer but sent it back. Awaiting to hear. It's non-63 but I'm pretty attached to it. If they're letting you keep it for 2k maybe they'll let me keep mine for less.... Mines quite fixable...

Has your offer been reasonable? Or still waiting?
Completely unreasonable so far. If it's a total loss, prepare for the worst. Rule of thumb: Have good comps ready to send back with your rejection of their offer. Don't truly expect that to do much to increase their second offer --especially if dealing with someone else's insurance company directly. Hire an outside adjuster if you feel they're not playing fair. Their adjuster works for them and everyone working for them is NOT your friend --no matter how friendly they act.

If dealing with your own insurance company's adjuster, recognize that they also are an insurance company and they are there to make money which includes minimizing losses to their bottom line. They also are NOT your friend in terms of their bottom line. But depending on your relationship with your insurance agent, you *MAY* get some additional consideration with compensation for your total loss.

Regardless it's not going to be enough to replace your vehicle. And one more thing to consider that I did not know: My local Benz dealer was locally owned until recently. The national corporation that bought my local dealership added a new "rule" to those governing the attached authorized Mercedes-Benz collision center which states that they will no longer work on vehicles aged older than 10 years from date of manufacture. Their explanation states that it's too difficult to get parts for repair for older vehicles so they've implemented a 10 year cutoff. It's ridiculous and just one more way to force people to buy a new or newer car. No one in the entire industry cares any longer about building legendary cars that last. It's more about what have you bought from me lately? Nothing? PASS!

Tref
Old 02-27-2023, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you have any more pics of your damaged vehicle?

I assume damage was up to the accessory belts but the engine is fine?

If so, I may be interested in taking it up as a project... Sucks meanwhile I'm dealing with the same thing
treffin (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Yeah that’s not a parts car. That’s a fix-it car. $2k is a steal for someone who wants a project.
The following 3 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
eightysixtuned (02-27-2023), treffin (02-27-2023), Xavier Smith II (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
buy it back...fix it...drive it...love it. use the rest of the money for a supercharger, wheels, suspension, and all the good stuff you want. also, engines don't sell for 9k...just because someone lists it doesn't mean it ever sells for that much. they're more like 4-7k and if you have a P30/507/BS model, it'll sell for 5-9k.
The following 2 users liked this post by eightysixtuned:
BLKROKT (02-27-2023), treffin (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by eightysixtuned
buy it back...fix it...drive it...love it. use the rest of the money for a supercharger, wheels, suspension, and all the good stuff you want. also, engines don't sell for 9k...just because someone lists it doesn't mean it ever sells for that much. they're more like 4-7k and if you have a P30/507/BS model, it'll sell for 5-9k.
That's what I thought too. But that 9k engine sale closed for that amount on eBay as a "completed" deal. As for the rest, I really don't have room for two of them. I've already replaced the old one as of last Friday with a 2012 C63 w/P31, Weistec Stage 3 blower, Methanol Injection, Oil/Air separator, & Trunk Ice (beer cooler). Needless to say I like the way you think. (Are you sure we aren't related?) I just don't wanna see the old girl put out to pasture too soon because she's got a lot of life left in her and could make someone as happy as she has made me since 2013.

Best,

Tref
Old 02-28-2023, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dm'd ya Tref. Lucky you were able to find an adequate replacement quickly - I'm still ******* with insurance.
treffin (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
if you were local i'd probably want to work out a purchase of the vehicle through you and build up the car from the ashes, but its just too much work for me at the moment. sad to see that thing eventually parted out if that is its future.
treffin (02-28-2023)