Sponsored by:

iPe Titanium Headers info needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63
iPe Titanium Headers info needed

So, I'm having exhaust work done and my exhaust guy points out that the 4 in 1 collector section of my headers are "slip fit" or basically butted together with no welding or clamps. I bought the car originally with the headers already installed, I did some research on the shop that installed it and they claim the headers are Supersprints, but when I compared photos they didn't have the Supersprint hallmarks and looked more like the iPe's titanium version. Both headers however have a common design element and it looks like they both use a butted design at the 4 in 1 section. I guess my two questions are:

1: Can anyone confirm if they own iPe titanium headers if they are not welded at the collector? I can post photos of mine tomorrow when I get the car back on the lift, I'd like to verify what my mystery headers are.

2: Is there a logical reason when both Supersprint and iPe seemingly do not weld the 4 in 1?

iPe Titanium headers

Supersprint headers
Old 06-24-2023, 03:03 PM

2009 C63
Photos of my headers, no welds

Old 06-24-2023, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
It's hard to weld.... but the right way is to weld them. Saying that if they aren't leaking they are fine...
Old 06-24-2023, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
That’s not what titanium looks like as it gets weathered. It tends to have a certain patina, and can turn somewhat rainbow in appearance from heat cycles.

May not be either brand. I don’t know that stainless looks like that either. Maybe it’s the lighting, what’s all that mottled look on them, is that surface corrosion? I guess that’s kind of what the OEM exhaust ends up looking like. My MBH headers are pretty shiny still after like 8yrs. Have they seen a lot of miles and/or snow/ice etc?

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-24-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:18 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
That’s not what titanium looks like as it gets weathered. It tends to have a certain patina, and can turn somewhat rainbow in appearance from heat cycles.

May not be either brand. I don’t know that stainless looks like that either. Maybe it’s the lighting, what’s all that mottled look on them, is that surface corrosion? I guess that’s kind of what the OEM exhaust ends up looking like. My MBH headers are pretty shiny still after like 8yrs. Have they seen a lot of miles and/or snow/ice etc?
Nope this car was bought in Hawaii originally and never left. It may not all be corrosion but a lot of dirt, the previous owner removed all the under body trays so a lot of road grime splashed directly in them. iPe also makes headers in 304 stainless but I'm pretty sure those are welded and not butted. So far no signs of leaks so I'm not worried.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
AMG C63
isn't the IPE header just a taiwan reproduction?

I highlight that to say what someone else alluded to earlier in that they're not either of the ones you perhaps mentioned but someone else who also used the same non-patent design of a 4 in 1.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:00 PM

2009 C63
It's possible. There's no identifying marks from what I can see, just the design looks exactly like iPE's. Considering what the last guy paid to have these installed, it's a bit shocking he would choose a no name reproduction and not something with a bit more of a reputation. It's what happens when you buy someone else's project car I suppose. I've spent quite a bit of time and money slowly getting this car back in good condition, the more I work on it the more I think the last guy is an idiot with more cash than sense.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
iPE is made in Taiwan. Good quality and many aftermarket brands have their products manufactured in Taiwan. Hence the lack of "made in xxxxx" on automotive parts. Some OEM's and OEM Supercar brands also have their parts manufactured in Taiwan.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
AMG C63
Originally Posted by eightysixtuned
iPE is made in Taiwan. Good quality and many aftermarket brands have their products manufactured in Taiwan. Hence the lack of "made in xxxxx" on automotive parts. Some OEM's and OEM Supercar brands also have their parts manufactured in Taiwan.
I don't doubt the quality of IPE as much as if they have complete control over the design that looks similar to their own.

Essentially, looks like IPE in order to convince people its the same without actually being the same and it should go without saying there was nothing pejorative intended regarding "taiwan" being made a reference by anyone in this thread rather trying to deduce what set of headers this may actually be.