W206 C63 E PERFORMANCE Unveiling Date

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 04:42 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Sound check. Looks like a production example, sounds like a WRX of old. Don't know if the sound engineers tuned the exhaust system or it's the talked about external speakers ??

Also get another look as to how quick it is, timed performance runs will be interesting.

Link also shows the graphite car in the pics above.

https://www.citizen.co.za/motoring/m...-s-test-video/
The following users liked this post:
Mayur999 (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,450 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by AV1
Sound check. Looks like a production example, sounds like a WRX of old. Don't know if the sound engineers tuned the exhaust system or it's the talked about external speakers ??

Also get another look as to how quick it is, timed performance runs will be interesting.

Link also shows the graphite car in the pics above.

https://www.citizen.co.za/motoring/m...-s-test-video/
WRX…LOL. Honestly I don’t even think it matters anymore. As one phrased “MB lost the plot”. 100K for this.
E55Greasemonkey (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 01:48 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
This new C63 interests me mainly b/c I have had the C63 (w204) but moved to an E63s (W212) for the AWD. I daily drove my C63 with winter tires for 2 winters and loved it. But the benefits of AWD (with winter tires) are real, especially in a RWD vehicle.

If we could get a A45 in Canada, I would make it my winter car with a tune of course.

Completely agree that the weight is a HUGE negative, but a reality of battery / EV vehicles, the driving dynamics are completely different, most importantly the demands on the tires/brakes/suspension when at the track. Looking forward to driving the new one, and have a deposit down for one (refundable until the point at which we option it out).
Old 10-11-2022, 02:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
Originally Posted by places
WRX…LOL. Honestly I don’t even think it matters anymore. As one phrased “MB lost the plot”. 100K for this.
It's 680 horsepower with a luxurious interior and all the tech in the world. Do you expect it to be cheap?
Old 10-11-2022, 02:12 PM

Merc
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
This new C63 interests me mainly b/c I have had the C63 (w204) but moved to an E63s (W212) for the AWD. I daily drove my C63 with winter tires for 2 winters and loved it. But the benefits of AWD (with winter tires) are real, especially in a RWD vehicle.

If we could get a A45 in Canada, I would make it my winter car with a tune of course.

Completely agree that the weight is a HUGE negative, but a reality of battery / EV vehicles, the driving dynamics are completely different, most importantly the demands on the tires/brakes/suspension when at the track. Looking forward to driving the new one, and have a deposit down for one (refundable until the point at which we option it out).
I think for fun public road driving the C63 will be fine... but on track that weight may be a huge negative even if they manage to disguise it by making it handle well. I was watching a video from Misha on Youtube about why their business retired the new M3 as a Nurburgring Taxi. And they said that while BMW did a great job of making the car handle great even with the increased weight... you can't get around the weight. And they were wearing out tires and brakes way faster than on the previous gen M3's they had.

I suspect this will be the same case with the C63 AMG.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crester
It's 680 horsepower with a luxurious interior and all the tech in the world. Do you expect it to be cheap?
AND don't forget the exhaust that sounds like a Hoover and all the speakers piping those amazing exhaust notes. Very high tech!
Old 10-12-2022, 02:50 PM

Merc
AND don't forget the exhaust that sounds like a Hoover and all the speakers piping those amazing exhaust notes. Very high tech!
That's not Mercedes tho... Europeans regs are cracking down big time on sound regulations.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:47 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Hot off the tail of the new W206 C63S E performance sedan and wagon, the new upcoming C236 CLE 63S E performance coupe is starting to make appearances in pre production form, the convertible will be designated A236.

I'll put just the one link up but all others have very similar info/images.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/10/20...sh-coupe-body/

Specifically with this coupe IMHO It's looking good...in comparison to the design direction going on at BMW M with the new G82 M4 & G87 M2.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,400 Likes on 2,047 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by AV1
Hot off the tail of the new W206 C63S E performance sedan and wagon, the new upcoming C236 CLE 63S E performance coupe is starting to make appearances in pre production form, the convertible will be designated A236.

Specifically with this coupe IMHO It's looking good...in comparison to the design direction going on at BMW M with the new G82 M4 & G87 M2.
Hmmm... I wonder if it is it too much to ask for the E-Class engine lineup
places (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AV1

Good looking for sure but I’ll take the ugly grill and better engines over a whiny 4 pot all day.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:23 AM

Merc
Good looking for sure but I’ll take the ugly grill and better engines over a whiny 4 pot all day.
I know 4 cylinders are not as prestigious... but they provide more than enough power. And they don't feel like they are struggling either.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know 4 cylinders are not as prestigious... but they provide more than enough power. And they don't feel like they are struggling either.
I haven't driven one of these yet but I also have never driven a 4 pot I liked in any performance mode. For me, they need to work very hard to produce vs the classic linear pull of a larger engine at lower RPM. Sometimes it's not about the numbers but how you get there. Effort vs effortless.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
I haven't driven one of these yet but I also have never driven a 4 pot I liked in any performance mode. For me, they need to work very hard to produce vs the classic linear pull of a larger engine at lower RPM. Sometimes it's not about the numbers but how you get there. Effort vs effortless.
Don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember 150hp V8's. The CLA 45 is a riot to drive. 4cyl engine and all. Whether we like it or not, things change.
crester (10-16-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 04:29 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
True 63 had a 6.2 in it. Since then all marketing.

True no arguments there…however, what I mean is perhaps sans V8.

Whether a 6.2 or other, a V8 is still a V8 rather than a 4 cylinder.

Id prefer it if they just went full electric and be done with it rather than the faux horse head at the front, even if the new engine is actually great. Should have put that in the new GLA A45S?

I don’t know…!? I’m sure the car is fun but in no way is that a 63 anything as long as it has a 4banger in it regardless of the electric infused power to feed into the badge nomenclature.
places (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bloom_Phaze
True no arguments there…however, what I mean is perhaps sans V8.

Whether a 6.2 or other, a V8 is still a V8 rather than a 4 cylinder.

Id prefer it if they just went full electric and be done with it rather than the faux horse head at the front, even if the new engine is actually great. Should have put that in the new GLA A45S?

I don’t know…!? I’m sure the car is fun but in no way is that a 63 anything as long as it has a 4banger in it regardless of the electric infused power to feed into the badge nomenclature.
MB has become a nothing more than a marketing company. Everything looks the same. Pure plug and play. You pretty much get the same interior in entry level C as you now do is an S. Crazy.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,541 Posts
2019 C63CS
MB has become a nothing more than a marketing company. Everything looks the same. Pure plug and play. You pretty much get the same interior in entry level C as you now do is an S. Crazy.
It's not just MB. With the interiors being reduced to a couple of screens, this was bound to happen. There's only so many ways to ergonomically place the screens and screens look all the same pretty much. Screens and electrifications are the great normalizers. W/o an engine defining the character of the car it's down to the same golf cart being built in different sizes. Just look at the EQ models. The EQE and EQS are basically the same car in different sizes, and the SUV variants are again the same cars with a bulkier body. All offering the same one-dimensional experience. Cars are bound to become appliances with where we are heading. It's just a battery and one or two electric motors with more or less power and a ton of weight. The W206 has an emotionless engine added in addition, but it doesn't move the needle.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
crester (10-20-2022), places (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's not just MB. With the interiors being reduced to a couple of screens, this was bound to happen. There's only so many ways to ergonomically place the screens and screens look all the same pretty much. Screens and electrifications are the great normalizers. W/o an engine defining the character of the car it's down to the same golf cart being built in different sizes. Just look at the EQ models. The EQE and EQS are basically the same car in different sizes, and the SUV variants are again the same cars with a bulkier body. All offering the same one-dimensional experience. Cars are bound to become appliances with where we are heading. It's just a battery and one or two electric motors with more or less power and a ton of weight. The W206 has an emotionless engine added in addition, but it doesn't move the needle.
"One dimensional experience" perfectly defined.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:00 AM

Merc
The C and S interiors LOOK similar but if you actually sit in them you will see there is an obvious material quality difference.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The C and S interiors LOOK similar but if you actually sit in them you will see there is an obvious material quality difference.
Hardly. I've owned my share of S class cars, the 223 is not the same level in terms of quality materials. Take away the exclusive leather packages and the materials are quite similar. Nothing obvious.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 674 Likes on 531 Posts
c
https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...ce_f1_edition/

the edition cars are always slightly over the top imo - but cool to see a special edition already. red carbon dash is definitely unique
Old 10-26-2022, 01:34 PM

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 C63 P31, 2023 GR Corolla CE
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
So back to Top Gear's video that was posted yesterday for a second, AMG's chief technological officer Jochen Hermen did answer the host's few questions at timestamp 10:10, here is what they said (pretty much exactly):

A: What I'm interested is, with the switch to hybrid it's going to be controversial for people who love the V8 (J:Yah), was it forced upon you by legislations? (J:no) or is it something the engineers chose to do (J: yah) because it makes the performance better?

J: Yes, if you go back some years, you know, we were sitting there said okay we can do another V8.

A: So you would've been able to get another V8 through the test cycle the emissions, (J: yah), this would've been possible (J: yah yah yah) because (J: yah) we have the V8s in the other cars, that's not the problem but we know that we had to go to we have to transform to the future and so we thought how can we make a car more efficient and giving the more power to the customer and maybe a broader bandwidth to the customer, this is exactly what we do here.

Anyways, as you can tell I am not convinced about his explanation of the team's decision making process but it is what it is.
He's lying through his teeth. Almost everything quoted is bullsh*t.

The W206 C-Class was designed (from the ground up) to only accept smaller engines. This was done primarily for emission purposes, i.e. it's regulation driven. They COULD have made sure the 3.0 inline 6 fit, but Mercedes had zero intentions to put the I6 in any non-AMG C-Class models, so doing so would make an C Class AMG prohibitively expensive. They also want more brand separation from the E and S Class AMG models . Which, oh yeah, are all losing their V8 engines over emissions (again completely against what's quoted above) and going to variations of the I6. All being done in name of emissions. It's the Europeans, they're obsessed with their CO2 output.

There's a reason AMG's former head walked out and quit.

Last edited by WolfpackC63; 10-26-2022 at 01:37 PM.
places (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,541 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by WolfpackC63

The W206 C-Class was designed (from the ground up) to only accept smaller engines. This was done primarily for emission purposes, i.e. it's regulation driven. They COULD have made sure the 3.0 inline 6 fit, but Mercedes had zero intentions to put the I6 in any non-AMG C-Class models, so doing so would make an C Class AMG prohibitively expensive. They also want more brand separation from the E and S Class AMG models . Which, oh yeah, are all losing their V8 engines over emissions (again completely against what's quoted above) and going to variations of the I6. All being done in name of emissions. It's the Europeans, they're obsessed with their CO2 output.

It's the leadership, IMO. There don't seem to be true enthusiasts at the helm now. The CTO who drove the car in the TG video can't even drive properly. In other videos the driver was the head of vehicle dynamics and he could at least drive properly, but the CTO even messed up Race Start. If they are aiming at customers like him, then it's no wonder.
places (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,400 Likes on 2,047 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by WolfpackC63

Thanks for reading and replying to my post with your comments.

Totally! I was just quoting it here for you guys to read, on the poor and not at all convincing excuses they have to justify why a four cylinder in a C 63s in the form of a C 63s e performance is a "good idea".

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's the leadership, IMO. There don't seem to be true enthusiasts at the helm now. The CTO who drove the car in the TG video can't even drive properly. In other videos the driver was the head of vehicle dynamics and he could at least drive properly, but the CTO even messed up Race Start. If they are aiming at customers like him, then it's no wonder.
Exactly.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
places (10-27-2022), WolfpackC63 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 674 Likes on 531 Posts
c
shot of the f1 edition wheels in the wild

Old 10-30-2022, 08:35 PM

Merc
Is that Nardo grey???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W206 C63 E PERFORMANCE Unveiling Date