C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

W206 C43 Exhaust Flap Controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W206 C43
W206 C43 Exhaust Flap Controller

I know it might be a long shot when the W206 C43 is still very new and the C63 hasn't been released yet, but I'm trying to figure out if the ASR RX2 or Renntech exhaust flap controller are compatible with the W206 C43.

I've done a lot of searching online and I cant find any answers either way. Appreciate anyone's input if you've got any info to share.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 BMW 340
RENNtech will work. Private message sent.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:44 PM

W206 C43
An update for anyone interested, both RENNtech and ASR have responded to my queries and said that the W206 C43 should be compatible with existing exhaust flap controllers in their lineup.

RENNtech have stated that an existing model in the lineup will be compatible, but I don't have details on the specific model that will work.

ASR have stated that the RX2, which suits the facelift E63, should be compatible - Link here.

Hope this helps anyone else considering an exhaust flap mod on the W206 C43.

Last edited by AMPERAGE; 09-30-2023 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Updated compatible model from RX1 to RX2 after further info from supplier
Old 09-27-2023, 10:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 C43 AMG Sedan
Did you end up purchasing and installing? Can you confirm the compatibility? Was wondering about adding the same to my car
Old 09-29-2023, 12:30 AM

W206 C43
Originally Posted by BigBodyBH
Did you end up purchasing and installing? Can you confirm the compatibility?
A few updates:
  • I've been given an update from the supplier, it is the RX2 for the E63S which will also suit the W206 C43, not the RX1 that I previously posted. ASR have also now listed the RX2 unit as being compatible with the W206 C43 on their website. Link here. If they're listing it directly on their website, I think there's a pretty good chance it will work.
  • I've purchased and received the RX2 as the local Australian distributor had them in stock (and can avoid paying import duty compared to buying from the US.) zeenon53 may be able to help out others who are in the States with the RENNTech version.
  • I've had a proper look under the car... the entire rear section including exhausts are covered by plastic shrouding. This will need to be removed to access the exhaust flap servos. Ideally, I think a hoist would be easiest, but I've bought some low-profile ramps which will give an extra 10" or so of lift to the rear. Hopefully enough to access all the bolts to remove the shrouding. I didn't count, but there looked to be quite a few bolts (15 or so?).
  • I haven't removed the trunk liner yet, but I've seen photos online of other W206s, and I think it has a composite tub instead of pressed steel like other models. Didn't see any rubber grommets in the photos where the cables could easily go through either. Will have to pull the trunk liner out to have a better look at how to get the cables to the outside of the car.
If I get time, I may do the install this weekend and I'll post an update to let you know how it went.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMPERAGE:
BigBodyBH (09-29-2023), zeenon53 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by AMPERAGE
A few updates:
  • I've been given an update from the supplier, it is the RX2 for the E63S which will also suit the W206 C43, not the RX1 that I previously posted. ASR have also now listed the RX2 unit as being compatible with the W206 C43 on their website. Link here. If they're listing it directly on their website, I think there's a pretty good chance it will work.
  • I've purchased and received the RX2 as the local Australian distributor had them in stock (and can avoid paying import duty compared to buying from the US.) zeenon53 may be able to help out others who are in the States with the RENNTech version.
  • I've had a proper look under the car... the entire rear section including exhausts are covered by plastic shrouding. This will need to be removed to access the exhaust flap servos. Ideally, I think a hoist would be easiest, but I've bought some low-profile ramps which will give an extra 10" or so of lift to the rear. Hopefully enough to access all the bolts to remove the shrouding. I didn't count, but there looked to be quite a few bolts (15 or so?).
  • I haven't removed the trunk liner yet, but I've seen photos online of other W206s, and I think it has a composite tub instead of pressed steel like other models. Didn't see any rubber grommets in the photos where the cables could easily go through either. Will have to pull the trunk liner out to have a better look at how to get the cables to the outside of the car.
If I get time, I may do the install this weekend and I'll post an update to let you know how it went.
Thank you! Would love to hear how it all goes and any tips/tricks you would recommend for the install.

I also reached out to Renntech for more info. They confirmed with me this is the EVM module that is compatible with our cars. It doesn't state it on the website yet, however the rep I chatted with confirmed with their supplier that it is the correct part number. Probably easier for those of us based in the US than ordering from ASR. At the end of the day I believe it's the same product.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:27 AM

W206 C43
Originally Posted by BigBodyBH
Would love to hear how it all goes and any tips/tricks you would recommend for the install.
I had a look at installing the system today and don't really have any positive news to share.

I pulled out the main trunk liner and there's no grommets or holes in the tub or rear of the trunk (below the trunk latch) to pass the cables through. I didn't pull the sides of the trunk liner out though, as I don't have E-TORX sockets needed to remove the tie-down bolts that go through the liner.

It might be possible to drill a hole in the composite tub and put a grommet in for the cables, but the lower shroud would need to be removed first to check that you're not drilling through into anything else.

There's a lot of fixing hardware that needs to be removed to drop the lower plastic shroud to expose the exhausts. I counted around about 20 bolts/nuts that need to be removed in total, and looks to be several different types. I didn't try to remove it as there didn't seem much point if I don't have a plan for how to get the cables from the trunk down to the servos. It's probably possible to remove the shroud with the car on the ground but would be difficult to see and reach everything. Ramps or a hoist would definitely be far easier (I had the car on ramps with a 10" lift and that gave adequate room for access).

At this point I think I'm going to hit pause on the install and wait to see if anyone else comes up with a solution for how to install these in the W206. I think it's achievable, but not as straightforward as older MB models.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Coupe
Originally Posted by AMPERAGE
I had a look at installing the system today and don't really have any positive news to share.

I pulled out the main trunk liner and there's no grommets or holes in the tub or rear of the trunk (below the trunk latch) to pass the cables through. I didn't pull the sides of the trunk liner out though, as I don't have E-TORX sockets needed to remove the tie-down bolts that go through the liner.

It might be possible to drill a hole in the composite tub and put a grommet in for the cables, but the lower shroud would need to be removed first to check that you're not drilling through into anything else.

There's a lot of fixing hardware that needs to be removed to drop the lower plastic shroud to expose the exhausts. I counted around about 20 bolts/nuts that need to be removed in total, and looks to be several different types. I didn't try to remove it as there didn't seem much point if I don't have a plan for how to get the cables from the trunk down to the servos. It's probably possible to remove the shroud with the car on the ground but would be difficult to see and reach everything. Ramps or a hoist would definitely be far easier (I had the car on ramps with a 10" lift and that gave adequate room for access).

At this point I think I'm going to hit pause on the install and wait to see if anyone else comes up with a solution for how to install these in the W206. I think it's achievable, but not as straightforward as older MB models.
Hey,
did you see anyone doing this already?
Old 03-05-2024, 02:58 AM

W206 C43
Originally Posted by amglover1
Hey,
did you see anyone doing this already?
I haven't seen anyone that has done this yet. After looking at some videos online, I think the install would be quite similar to the process for the W213 E63. It's not a simple job, so I still haven't installed mine.