C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

Short: Are you satisfied with your C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W206
Short: Are you satisfied with your C43?

Actually there are a lot of news about the very poor build quality of the W206 in general and also a lot of reliability issues with the C43.
What is your experience?

I am close to sell it after 4 months of usage because of the very poor interior build quality (noises are comming from everywhere, etc..) and the huge number of electronical issues (ventilation stops to work, mirrors are not closing, etc...)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
I can't comment from an ownership perspective and I have yet to drive the new C43 and/or C63, but I honestly have no desire to do so. I had a W206 C300 loaner twice so far and probably get it again in a week when my C63 is going in for the annual service. I can't emphasize enough how cheap the W206 felt the first time I got into it. The cost cutting is so painfully obvious with the use of cheap hard plastics that you touch regularly such as the massive brick of plastic that goes for a door handle/arm rest now. Couldn't even initially figure out where I'm supposed to grab the door to close it. On top of that, the software was buggy as hell. CarPlay kept disconnecting over and over again to the point where I almost got into an accident because I had to constantly fiddle with it. I understand that there've been updates to the software in the meantime that may have fixed these issues, but being a loaner the Mercedes me service aren't active, so these cars are not getting updates. I've always considered loaner cars to be a great advertising tool for car manufacturers so customers can sample the next generation and decide what to buy next. If MB wants me not to buy another one of their cars, then they've succeeded with this loaner.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-11-2024 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
places (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W206
I cannot agree with you more. What is disappoiting for me is that initially I was afriad of the engine and transmission and though that quality will be a typical MB quality. However my experience is totally the opposite. The engine is much better than I have expected both from driveability and sound point of view but the quality of the car is very poor....
Old 01-11-2024, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by superswiss
I can't comment from an ownership perspective and I have yet to drive the new C43 and/or C63, but I honestly have no desire to do so. I had a W206 C300 loaner twice so far and probably get it again in a week when my C63 is going in for the annual service. I can't emphasize enough how cheap the W206 felt the first time I got into it. The cost cutting is so painfully obvious with the use of cheap hard plastics that you touch regularly such as the massive brick of plastic that goes for a door handle/arm rest now. Couldn't even initially figure out where I'm supposed to grab the door to close it. On top of that, the software was buggy as hell. CarPlay kept disconnecting over and over again to the point where I almost got into an accident because I had to constantly fiddle with it. I understand that there've been updates to the software in the meantime that may have fixed these issues, but being a loaner the Mercedes me service aren't active, so these cars are not getting updates. I've always considered loaner cars to be a great advertising tool for car manufacturers so customers can sample the next generation and decide what to buy next. If MB wants me not to buy another one of their cars, then they've succeeded with this loaner.
To be fair. The difference C300 and C43 are immense. The c300 feels so utilitarian in comparison. Obviously tech is mostly the same but even the leather dash, etc. help elevate the interior.
The following 3 users liked this post by alexasa:
BenjaminKohl (01-12-2024), DanEversATL (03-28-2024), eatmydust (01-19-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
I think all MY23 owners have had tons of problems. Hopefully MY24 is better.

I've all 4 brake rotors replaced. The door need adjustment and the rear door seal failed/ripped off. I have a creak in the passenger door panel that has gone unfixed. I've had two CEL's. I am probably forgetting things.

I think as far as a driving experience, it finds a middle ground of sport and daily SO WELL. I've been in a large range of cars recently and it has only made me appreciate the C43. Most of the bugs have been sorted with software. If I could get that creak fixed I think I'd be pretty happy overall.

Getting there has been unacceptable for most though. But, most of my friends/family in newer cars are having similar ownership experiences. My buddy has a brand new X7 M60 and it does WEIRD things. Practically unsafe to drive from some of the driver assistance errors he has been experiencing.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by alexasa
To be fair. The difference C300 and C43 are immense. The c300 feels so utilitarian in comparison. Obviously tech is mostly the same but even the leather dash, etc. help elevate the interior.
You would think so, but the hard plastic pieces are the same. I'm not comparing leather quality. The Napa leather in my C63 is way nicer than even the standard MB leather. I get that part, but upgraded leather does not hide the cheap plastic parts that you have to touch every time you get in the car and the resulting rattles from said plastic rubbing and creaking over time.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

I've all 4 brake rotors replaced. The door need adjustment and the rear door seal failed/ripped off. I have a creak in the passenger door panel that has gone unfixed. I've had two CEL's. I am probably forgetting things.

I think as far as a driving experience, it finds a middle ground of sport and daily SO WELL. I've been in a large range of cars recently and it has only made me appreciate the C43. Most of the bugs have been sorted with software. If I could get that creak fixed I think I'd be pretty happy overall.

Getting there has been unacceptable for most though. But, most of my friends/family in newer cars are having similar ownership experiences. My buddy has a brand new X7 M60 and it does WEIRD things. Practically unsafe to drive from some of the driver assistance errors he has been experiencing.
Sadly, Tesla has set a precedent and shown that enough people are willing to pay large amounts of money for terrible build and material quality as long as the car has superficial software features that they can show off to their friends and claim that they are doing something for the environment. German car manufacturers thought they could get away with the same, but it's starting to backfire. Herbert Diess thought he could turn VW into the next Tesla by following Musk's playbook, but instead customer satisfaction dropped by an unprecedented 70% and VW is now backpedaling touchscreens and adding back physical buttons etc. I had a Golf 8 rental in Europe last year. I love Golfs and have driven many of them over the years. The Golf 8 still drove like a Golf, but the interior and Infotainment system was gawdawful. It ruined the whole car.
The following 5 users liked this post by superswiss:
BenjaminKohl (01-12-2024), eatmydust (01-19-2024), OldManAndHisCar (03-24-2024), ShowCar (01-16-2024), WolfpackC63 (05-06-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 160 Likes on 128 Posts
AMG
I don't want to jinx it, but I had 0 problems. I had to add cooler twice, that's it. No strange sounds, no electrical problems, no CarPlay or Android auto issues. I have raced it hard many times. I have also had it coded.
I got 7k miles, perhaps something would go wrong later on.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:45 PM

AMG
I am driving from Vienna to Paris, left U.S. for a month. So far so good

Old 01-11-2024, 10:12 PM

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Originally Posted by Dima
I am driving from Vienna to Paris, left U.S. for a month. So far so good
Did you ship the car overseas for your trip?
Old 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM

AMG
I added the amphibian package when ordering.
AzurSL (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,454 Likes on 960 Posts
No more MB:(
Sadly, Tesla has set a precedent and shown that enough people are willing to pay large amounts of money for terrible build and material quality as long as the car has superficial software features that they can show off to their friends and claim that they are doing something for the environment. German car manufacturers thought they could get away with the same, but it's starting to backfire. Herbert Diess thought he could turn VW into the next Tesla by following Musk's playbook, but instead customer satisfaction dropped by an unprecedented 70% and VW is now backpedaling touchscreens and adding back physical buttons etc. I had a Golf 8 rental in Europe last year. I love Golfs and have driven many of them over the years. The Golf 8 still drove like a Golf, but the interior and Infotainment system was gawdawful. It ruined the whole car.
There is a generation (and more to come) that have no idea what MB build quality used to be. The new build standards are the norm, automakers know this and taking full advantage. They no longer have to "overbuild" their cars. Just load them up with flashy interiors and overwhelming tech and call it luxury. And for those that care, save the planet with overly complex electrification systems.

Cheaper plastics and finishing is no longer limited to entry level lines but even higher line S and SL cars have the same issues. They have definitely taken a step back compares to their predecessors. We just picked up a M8 Convertible and have to say the interior feels far more solid than the SL.
crester (01-14-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by places
Cheaper plastics and finishing is no longer limited to entry level lines but even higher line S and SL cars have the same issues. They have definitely taken a step back compares to their predecessors. We just picked up a M8 Convertible and have to say the interior feels far more solid than the SL.
That is unfortunately so true. I had a W223 S500 loaner at one point and my first reaction was "this is it?". It came with only standard leather that felt like I was sitting on vinyl. I was flabbergasted that an S Class doesn't come standard with Nappa leather these days. The whole interior looked cheap. Doesn't really look much different from a W206. The same gigantic screen and nothing else pretty much and at night it it feels like you entered the redlight district in Amsterdam with all the ambient lighting.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-12-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:49 AM

AMG
T it feels like you entered the redlight district in Amsterdam with all the ambient lighting.
If it's on your mind a lot, you could easily find a prostitute in S.F., then rent an S500 and your dreams would come true.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c400
I aint going to hold you i love my experience with mine so far. The only plastic i see is under the dash dont know why your touching under there but the dash is leather and so are the doors most of the interior parts you would want to be leather are. I dont know about the noises some of yall are hearing either mine is quiet as can be and the ride isnt harsh either. Havent had the CEL issue many are having but mines got built in august so hopefully they ironed out most of the issues by then.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:56 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by BotnKing
I aint going to hold you i love my experience with mine so far. The only plastic i see is under the dash dont know why your touching under there but the dash is leather and so are the doors most of the interior parts you would want to be leather are. I dont know about the noises some of yall are hearing either mine is quiet as can be and the ride isnt harsh either. Havent had the CEL issue many are having but mines got built in august so hopefully they ironed out most of the issues by then.
The guy thinks he's in a red light district so who knows why he is touching under there.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by BotnKing
You don't touch this every time you shut the door? That's a brick of painted hard plastic. BTW, very cheaply designed and cheap to produce with its simple boxy shape. What did you think it was? Just wait until it starts to creak over time. It's happening even in the W223 which has resorted to hard plastic in parts of the door that are being handled on a regular basis. The corresponding part in the W205 is covered in leather, soft Nappa leather in my case.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-13-2024 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
places (01-14-2024), ShowCar (01-16-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 12:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
I think the interiors are virtually the same. Leather dash or not is just a matter of what options you choose.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:08 AM

AMG
You don't touch this every time you shut the door? That's a brick of painted hard plastic. BTW, very cheaply designed and cheap to produce with its simple boxy shape. What did you think it was? Just wait until it starts to creak over time. It's happening even in the W223 which has resorted to hard plastic in parts of the door that are being handled on a regular basis. The corresponding part in the W205 is covered in leather, soft Nappa leather in my case.

Well, one can always wear nappa gloves, light or heavy depending on the season if this prevents someone from getting the car.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
A45 AMG
I gotta say the interior quality from this new era of Benz is worse than the previous generation, but BMW and Audi have also cut back massively.

The new 5 Series has been criticized a lot, as it is a massive plunge from the previous quality and feel of the G30 series. The 7 series is an exception to the rule. The new 3 is yet to be seen.
From the cars I got to see here in the showroom (IX, I4, new I7), I feel like BMW, is trying to hide the worse build quality with gadgets, the same can be said about Mercedes and Audi.

The new Audis that have been hitting the show room (other than A6, A8) feel significantly cheaper than previous generations. The A3/Q3 is pretty ridiculous. The A4/A5 are severely outdated.

Even Porsche, you notice a drop in build quality.

Its a pity, I hope the brands realize that only the "name" and badge is not enough to sell their cars. These cars need to feel special for the price tag, and at a time in the past, they used to. Now they don't.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarlosAMGBR:
Carfanatic56 (07-02-2024), crester (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:35 PM

Merc
Originally Posted by Dima
I don't want to jinx it, but I had 0 problems. I had to add cooler twice, that's it. No strange sounds, no electrical problems, no CarPlay or Android auto issues. I have raced it hard many times. I have also had it coded.
I got 7k miles, perhaps something would go wrong later on.
I'm really thinking like driving your car hard now and then is really key to keeping it healthy. Many times the people in general who have the most problems with the cars seem to be the ones who baby it the most. Think about your own personal health... you have to keep yourself moving... or else things seize up... and I feel like stuff goes wrong in the car when it doesn't properly get used as well.

Last edited by crester; 01-18-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:41 PM

Merc
Originally Posted by CarlosAMGBR
I gotta say the interior quality from this new era of Benz is worse than the previous generation, but BMW and Audi have also cut back massively.

The new 5 Series has been criticized a lot, as it is a massive plunge from the previous quality and feel of the G30 series. The 7 series is an exception to the rule. The new 3 is yet to be seen.
From the cars I got to see here in the showroom (IX, I4, new I7), I feel like BMW, is trying to hide the worse build quality with gadgets, the same can be said about Mercedes and Audi.

The new Audis that have been hitting the show room (other than A6, A8) feel significantly cheaper than previous generations. The A3/Q3 is pretty ridiculous. The A4/A5 are severely outdated.

Even Porsche, you notice a drop in build quality.

Its a pity, I hope the brands realize that only the "name" and badge is not enough to sell their cars. These cars need to feel special for the price tag, and at a time in the past, they used to. Now they don't.
Yeah I was surprised when I sat in some recent Porsche's and it just felt like a sea of black plastic. I wonder if this is just a case of the manufacturers just knowing customers will buy their cars regardless of the cheap plastic interiors... so they decide to just take the profits instead.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:44 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by crester
Yeah I was surprised when I sat in some recent Porsche's and it just felt like a sea of black plastic. I wonder if this is just a case of the manufacturers just knowing customers will buy their cars regardless of the cheap plastic interiors... so they decide to just take the profits instead.
Probably expensive R&D for the EV stuff mandated by governments. Have to cut costs elsewhere.
WolfpackC63 (05-06-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 12:44 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350

What happened with the rotors?
Old 01-23-2024, 10:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
A45 AMG
Originally Posted by crester
Its a shame, the distance from the build quality of a German Car to that of an American or even Chinese car, has greatly diminished. I still find that MB is the one that is most lost of the brands (completely lost the plot with their original customer and fan base, other than a couple of cars, none of them appeal to their original audience), nonetheless the others aren't that far behind. What saves BMW, and Porsche, they still have products that appeal to their fanbase with BMW M's (non ****ty hybrid cars) and enthusiast Porsches. But even so, build quality, and whole aspect of the car feels cheaper. The G generation (G30, G20, G80, F90, G02, G06, were awesome, but somehow their replacements don't appeal as much and feel cheaper). The Mercedes too, the W205, W213 and W222 were cars to die for. I loved them. The W206, W223, I have seen and felt that there is less innovation, far more complications, and less build quality with these cars.

We had this moment in the past from the 1990's to the 2000's, then the quality improved, and now we are seeing it again. I feel like the current golden age of automotives was 2010 to 2020, where we saw the horsepower war with these german cars, cars with over 500 hp and RWD, great technological improvements (Distronic Plus, and other gadgets), and then all of a sudden, I feel like their idea of evolution of a car is just adding screens, removing buttons, reducing the quality and increasing margins
The following 2 users liked this post by CarlosAMGBR:
Carfanatic56 (07-02-2024), WolfpackC63 (05-06-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Short: Are you satisfied with your C43?