Sponsored By: EuroMotorcars

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c400
Check Engine Light

So it finally happened guys. Have been driving my brand new c43 and only put 2259miles on it when the dreaded CEL came on today. I already set up an appointment with the dealership I purchased it but would like to know what was the experience like for anyone that was affected by this. Did it get resolved, did it get lemon, did a buyback occur? Anything really just want some more information for when i go to get it serviced.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:26 PM

Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by BotnKing
So it finally happened guys. Have been driving my brand new c43 and only put 2259miles on it when the dreaded CEL came on today. I already set up an appointment with the dealership I purchased it but would like to know what was the experience like for anyone that was affected by this. Did it get resolved, did it get lemon, did a buyback occur? Anything really just want some more information for when i go to get it serviced.
don't panic yet, it might be nothing. Could be a gas cap. I had it twice, Unscrew it, make sure the word 'slow' is on top. Drive around for while.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 876 Likes on 677 Posts
G550
Why not spend $150 on an OBD scanner and see what code gets burped? Certainly better than enduring needless stress.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:16 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by streborx
Why not spend $150 on an OBD scanner and see what code gets burped? Certainly better than enduring needless stress.
in my experience none of them work on w206. I've tried the best and very expensive. The car is listed as it's scannable but in reality it is not. Let us know if you find one that works.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
c
CEL on this car will reset after about 18 hours. It could happen for reasons that should not be alarming and others that are. I would say that if it does go away after that 18 hour period then don't worry about it.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Dima
in my experience none of them work on w206. I've tried the best and very expensive. The car is listed as it's scannable but in reality it is not. Let us know if you find one that works.
Launch Elite 2.0 Benz -- several Forum posts discuss it.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:55 PM

AMG
Launch Elite 2.0 Benz -- several Forum posts discuss it.
Not for 206 or 223, only older models. MB seems to be blocking new ones
Old 04-07-2024, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Not for 206 or 223, only older models. MB seems to be blocking new ones
From even reading DTCs?
Old 04-07-2024, 06:25 PM

AMG
From even reading DTCs?
right they all say it's not recognized. But manufacturers never admit it at first. They ask the the logs, then try to remotely dial in then blame Mercedes. All that stuff is using the same software made in China.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
right they all say it's not recognized. But manufacturers never admit it at first. They ask the the logs, then try to remotely dial in then blame Mercedes. All that stuff is using the same software made in China.
The Launch scanner has on its main screen a box labeled OBD. Selecting it causes the Launch to scan for the all the possible OBD protocols. The scanner reports all failures doing this?
Old 04-07-2024, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c400
Originally Posted by alexasa
CEL on this car will reset after about 18 hours. It could happen for reasons that should not be alarming and others that are. I would say that if it does go away after that 18 hour period then don't worry about it.
I started it up like normal today and it was gone so you may be right for now. I really hope it was just a glitch because other than that im loving it
Old 04-07-2024, 07:45 PM

AMG
The Launch scanner has on its main screen a box labeled OBD. Selecting it causes the Launch to scan for the all the possible OBD protocols. The scanner reports all failures doing this?
it lets you select 206, scans it, then says it's not recognized. I don't have any of them now as I tried a few best ones and had to return but that's what I remember.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Sometimes it's only the VIN that's not recognized, and it and the vehicle information have to be entered manually. Was this the "not recogized" event, or did the VIN and vehicle info register, but things crashed thereafter?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:13 AM

AMG
Sometimes it's only the VIN that's not recognized, and it and the vehicle information have to be entered manually. Was this the "not recogized" event, or did the VIN and vehicle info register, but things crashed thereafter?
so you can enter 2 ways, wither by auto vin recognition or actually search for the chassis number. Again, at the end of scanning, no data appeared but the message that car is not being recognized. The support actually remoted in, but couldn't fix it. Referred to development team who couldn't do anything either. I tried several expensive scanners, always the same result. I heard somewhere, 206 and 223 and perhaps others have a security wall.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
so you can enter 2 ways, wither by auto vin recognition or actually search for the chassis number. Again, at the end of scanning, no data appeared but the message that car is not being recognized. The support actually remoted in, but couldn't fix it. Referred to development team who couldn't do anything either. I tried several expensive scanners, always the same result. I heard somewhere, 206 and 223 and perhaps others have a security wall.
This is all very interesting because as you might be aware, "right to repair" laws are being passed that require manufacturers to provide enough information to owners to make basic car repairs. Locking out scanners and then disabling a vehicle that requires it be taken to a dealership for repair will not be permitted. Locking out re-coding as BMW has done is one thing, but denying an owner the ability to scan for emissions sufficiency is quite another. Much of what's going on with new automobiles is encouraging me to keep what I have and not buy another. Maybe when sales plummet, they'll wake up.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:59 AM

AMG
This is all very interesting because as you might be aware, "right to repair" laws are being passed that require manufacturers to provide enough information to owners to make basic car repairs. Locking out scanners and then disabling a vehicle that requires it be taken to a dealership for repair will not be permitted. Locking out re-coding as BMW has done is one thing, but denying an owner the ability to scan for emissions sufficiency is quite another. Much of what's going on with new automobiles is encouraging me to keep what I have and not buy another. Maybe when sales plummet, they'll wake up.
I cannot be sure but I think in Massachusetts at least the right to repair means to enable local shops to make repairs meaning MB cannot deny them the tools. I am not sure what it means for the owners themselves though.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 C43
I must have the worst case scenario with the CEL coming on. Mine came on after 6 days on my 2023 C43. When I took it to the dealership, after a few days, they told me that due to a manufacturer's defect, debris was getting into the radiator. After a week or so of attempting to remove the debris and flushing the radiator out numerous times, the dealership told me that it could not be fixed and that I would require an entire new engine!! They also said that the engine is on back-order with no scheduled ETA.

So far, as of this post, my car has been in the shop for 30 days with no end in sight. They are currently attempting to reach out to MB to see about buying me out of the car and/or other options to get something else. The dealership has been wonderful but so far owning this car has been a nightmare!
Old 04-28-2024, 09:16 AM

AMG
Sorry to hear that, the obvious question is if you're pursuing the lemon law independent of what dealer is doing? In this state it would have been easily lemoned at this point.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
c
Originally Posted by RSolo_NOLA
I must have the worst case scenario with the CEL coming on. Mine came on after 6 days on my 2023 C43. When I took it to the dealership, after a few days, they told me that due to a manufacturer's defect, debris was getting into the radiator. After a week or so of attempting to remove the debris and flushing the radiator out numerous times, the dealership told me that it could not be fixed and that I would require an entire new engine!! They also said that the engine is on back-order with no scheduled ETA.

So far, as of this post, my car has been in the shop for 30 days with no end in sight. They are currently attempting to reach out to MB to see about buying me out of the car and/or other options to get something else. The dealership has been wonderful but so far owning this car has been a nightmare!
Unfortunately, this has also been common. San residue from casting the aluminum block. I would 100% get a buy back or lemon it. I don't think this is a fixable issue without replacing enough components that would normally total a car.