Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New W205 C63 Spy Video ('ring Footage)

Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
New W205 C63 Spy Video ('ring Footage)

Sounds pretty damn good around the 1:00 minute mark.

Also looks like it has loads of grip.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-amg-spy-video

"The good news, as this video confirms, is that the exhaust note of the new engine sounds just as brutal as that of the outgoing C63 AMG’s 6.2-liter V-8, despite a pair of turbos blocking the flow of the exhaust gases."

I think that's a bit of an overstatement but it is starting to sound better, nonetheless.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Also found it interesting that now the potential release date is November/December instead of September.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
991 C2S, AP2 S2000, E400 Coupe
I'm pleasantly surprised. I like that sound a lot.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Not sure if it's just better footage, but it sounds more aggressive and raw than the previous clips. I really like it.

A bit of a coincidence this footage comes out the day the M3/M4 reviews start rolling in?

Sutcliffe summed up similar feelings I have about the M3/M4 at the end of this video...the engine just doesn't seem to cut it in regards to sound.

If there's one thing the W205 C63 will have over the M3/M4, it's the sound... and no doubt it will outrun it in a straight line.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Sorry, but we comparing the sound rather than comparing to the m3/m4 etc I'm going to compare to the previous c63. This sounds nothing like it which is a shame. I understand it has turbos, but even the CLS/E63 sounds much better IMO
Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Sorry, but we comparing the sound rather than comparing to the m3/m4 etc I'm going to compare to the previous c63. This sounds nothing like it which is a shame. I understand it has turbos, but even the CLS/E63 sounds much better IMO
What is your point?
You are restating the obvious. We all know that a 4.0 is not going to sound like a 6.2... Duh!
We are not expecting it to sound like the 5.5 either.
We are not even expecting the 4.0TT to sound like a 4.0 without turbo's.
We just dont want it to sound like $h!t, e.g. M3/M4.
So get off your high horse and appreciate the fact that the car in development already sounds good!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
. . . the fact that the car in development already sounds good!
I agree; the W205 does sound good thus far (for what it is, a smaller displacement FI V8 car). The new F80 M3 has set the engine/exhaust sound bar pretty low.

I've been pouring through the F80/F82 M3/M4 reviews that have been rolling out in the last day or so and below are the primary, shared conclusions. The consensus thus far has been that the M3 is the car to get (over the M4).

Pros:

- Incredible handling (even sharper than the E9X) and very composed chassis

- Good steering feel, despite the switch to electric steering (Sport is described as perfect while Sport Plus is too damn heavy and Comfort is too light)

- Some numbness in the steering in minimal/no-input situations

- Gobs of torque all over the rev range now (huge improvement over the E9X)

- Seats both look and feel great (finally, an M3 with proper-looking/feeling bucket seats); seats are positioned nice and low in the car

- Both steel and carbon ceramic brakes are outstanding (finally, the M3 comes standard with fixed calipers up front AND in the rear; unfortunately, it looks like the W205 is downgrading to single-piston sliding calipers in the rear)

- The new, redesigned 6MT is a joy to use (and it saves you a good chunk of weight) but the DCT has improved greatly over the last generation

Cons:

- The motor, the heart of the car, just does not feel special enough

- The last 1,500 rpm are for show, not for go

- Both the engine and exhaust sound are underwhelming
Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
What is your point?
You are restating the obvious. We all know that a 4.0 is not going to sound like a 6.2... Duh!
We are not expecting it to sound like the 5.5 either.
We are not even expecting the 4.0TT to sound like a 4.0 without turbo's.
We just dont want it to sound like $h!t, e.g. M3/M4.
So get off your high horse and appreciate the fact that the car in development already sounds good!
Sorry, I'll get off my horse and leave the MB forums. The new C is not good though and you can just keep lying to yourself about it. It will perform very well, but look and sound not like you'd want.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
The new C is not good though
Not good in what respect?

It's hard to make any final determinations at this point (in my humble opinion). We haven't seen a production exterior without camouflage. We haven't seen the interior. We haven't heard the car's production exhaust. We haven't seen any official specs and we haven't read any reviews.

When it comes to labeling it a success or a disappointment, I'm going to wait until the official reveal.

Also, BMW M was tuning the F80's exhaust sound well after the reveal.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
While I will agree my judgments could be premature, this car just hasn't really done it for ME. This is just ME and I'm not forming an opinion for anyone else. I think the biggest thing is all the photos that have surfaced have shown a soft looking car. The w204 has the lines on the hood, fender flares, and just an overall aggressive look. This looks soft, smooth, sleek, and not like something that wants to kill you. Also, the new tail lights are a huge turn off. I know it is just tail lights but on even the new S class they don't appeal to me.

On the other hand, the new E63 is a beauty. By far (again in my opinion) the best sedan mercedes has come out with.

Yes, I know the 4.0TT wont sound like a 6.2 v8. Still, it can scream a bit more than that. Just ask my 3.6TT.. That is more of how I was comparing it. Not saying the 4.0 should sound the SAME, but it can sound more aggressive than how they have it set.

Also, the new engine will likely out perform the old but again this car just doesn't do it for me. Again, this is just for me and maybe it has some of you drooling.

I went down the "you" road after I was told to get off my high horse. Just annoyed with all the faceless jabs that have gone out specifically in this subforum after simple opinions were shared.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
[QUOTE=PurpleHeartAMG;6038137]While I will agree my judgments could be premature, this car just hasn't really done it for ME. This is just ME and I'm not forming an opinion for anyone else. I think the biggest thing is all the photos that have surfaced have shown a soft looking car. The w204 has the lines on the hood, fender flares, and just an overall aggressive look. This looks soft, smooth, sleek, and not like something that wants to kill you. Also, the new tail lights are a huge turn off. I know it is just tail lights but on even the new S class they don't appeal to me.

On the other hand, the new E63 is a beauty. By far (again in my opinion) the best sedan mercedes has come out with.

Yes, I know the 4.0TT wont sound like a 6.2 v8. Still, it can scream a bit more than that. Just ask my 3.6TT.. That is more of how I was comparing it. Not saying the 4.0 should sound the SAME, but it can sound more aggressive than how they have it set.

Also, the new engine will likely out perform the old but again this car just doesn't do it for me. Again, this is just for me and maybe it has some of you drooling.

I went down the "you" road after I was told to get off my high horse. Just annoyed with all the faceless jabs that have gone out specifically in this subforum after simple opinions were shared.[/QUOTE

I am in complete agreement with you on this.

This car may be faster, may be faster around the 'Ring. It may be more spacious, more comfortable.

My main concern, as with many current owners, I gather, is the soul of this car. What attracted me to this car back in 08 when my brother got his was the car had such personality and soul. The rumble, the sound, the silliness of it compared to cars on the road and most of all how it makes the owner feel.

Yes, we have to see the "final version" before passing ultimate judgement but at this stage I am not impressed with any of it. There is very little in the manner of outer appearances that distinguish it much. The sound is tepid and based on the current turbocharged AMGs, it may improve a little.

I am hoping I am wrong...
Old 05-11-2014, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by coladin
I am in complete agreement with you on this.

This car may be faster, may be faster around the 'Ring. It may be more spacious, more comfortable.

My main concern, as with many current owners, I gather, is the soul of this car. What attracted me to this car back in 08 when my brother got his was the car had such personality and soul. The rumble, the sound, the silliness of it compared to cars on the road and most of all how it makes the owner feel.

Yes, we have to see the "final version" before passing ultimate judgement but at this stage I am not impressed with any of it. There is very little in the manner of outer appearances that distinguish it much. The sound is tepid and based on the current turbocharged AMGs, it may improve a little.

I am hoping I am wrong...
500+ horsepower in a car that weighs 220+ lbs lighter than our W204 C63s is going to be plenty silly. Have some faith.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
The front fascia of the C63 looks almost identical to that of the E63 (A-wing style front splitter, single bar grille, etc.). I don't see how one can look better than the other, given that reality.

I have to do a double take when I see a W205 C-Class w/ Sport Package as it also looks identical to the E550 w/ Sport styling.

Of course, you could've been referring to the beauty of the E63's performance.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by zibby43
The front fascia of the C63 looks almost identical to that of the E63 (A-wing style front splitter, single bar grille, etc.). I don't see how one can look better than the other, given that reality.

I have to do a double take when I see a W205 C-Class w/ Sport Package as it also looks identical to the E550 w/ Sport styling.

Of course, you could've been referring to the beauty of the E63's performance.
Yea, the front looks similar. Have you seen the back? The rear end on the E is gorgeous. The C? No. The tail lights are way to small and it is just so soft around the trunk and such. I guess that doesn't matter so much though because in the E all you'll ever see is the front end of the C anyway.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
500+ horsepower in a car that weighs 220+ lbs lighter than our W204 C63s is going to be plenty silly. Have some faith.
I'm trying, I'm trying!

Just me eyes and ears have pretty much made up their minds!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Try and look at it the way I do coladin. Yes, the 4L doesn't sound the same as the 6.2L in our 507's. However, in 5-7 years when it is time to replace the 507, think what the EPA and CAFE will do to all the other engines. A 4L may end up being massive to everything else. Wouldn't you like to hear 4L engines in F1 these days?

Last edited by edwardsflight33; 05-11-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: trying to avoid any grammar nazis
Old 05-11-2014, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ Um no. I would like my 2.4L V8's back in F1 please.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Yea, the front looks similar. Have you seen the back? The rear end on the E is gorgeous. The C? No. The tail lights are way to small and it is just so soft around the trunk and such. I guess that doesn't matter so much though because in the E all you'll ever see is the front end of the C anyway.
Yeah the back is a little bland. The back on the pre-LCI W204 is pretty bland too. The diffuser got a bit more aggressive for the LCI model. Taillights aren't as bad as the ones on the W205 though.

It's been taped up thus far but the W205's spoiler looks a lot crisper/sharper.

Originally Posted by coladin
I'm trying, I'm trying!

Just me eyes and ears have pretty much made up their minds!
Understood. The glowing reviews of the F80 have changed the minds of the M guys that were on the fence. Hopefully, performance wise, the W205 does not disappoint.

At least we know that the W205's interior is going to be on an entirely different level (better).
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
I have full faith AMG will make the W205 amazing. It's best just to wait until September until we see the final thing before we pass judgement. I got very upset on the tire issue, but I've learned my lesson. Anything until then is speculation.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Yeah the back is a little bland. The back on the pre-LCI W204 is pretty bland too. The diffuser got a bit more aggressive for the LCI model. Taillights aren't as bad as the ones on the W205 though.

It's been taped up thus far but the W205's spoiler looks a lot crisper/sharper.

Understood. The glowing reviews of the F80 have changed the minds of the M guys that were on the fence. Hopefully, performance wise, the W205 does not disappoint.

At least we know that the W205's interior is going to be on an entirely different level (better).
A lot have been complaining about that tablet in the new MB interiors. Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the look of the new interiors across the board. All makes look so damn good including the CLA. Interior is surely a win in my book.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
The interior quality is going to be bar none, the best. Move over Audi.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
A lot have been complaining about that tablet in the new MB interiors. Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the look of the new interiors across the board. All makes look so damn good including the CLA. Interior is surely a win in my book.
I just get concerned about thieves. It is not uncommon for them to break into a car just for the factory nav unit here in Europe. I'd feel safer if it wasn't sticking out from the dash like that. My co-worker has a CLA and I don't mind the look of it so much. It is very easy to see. Wonder if they'll ever be touch screen?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by edwardsflight33
I just get concerned about thieves. It is not uncommon for them to break into a car just for the factory nav unit here in Europe. I'd feel safer if it wasn't sticking out from the dash like that. My co-worker has a CLA and I don't mind the look of it so much. It is very easy to see. Wonder if they'll ever be touch screen?
From my experience with touch screen infotainment systems (CUE, in particular), you definitely do NOT want that haha.

I think it's more distracting trying to find the right button and then making sure you press it just right.

And then the screen just gets absolutely covered with fingerprints.

iDrive remains the best system I've used (by far), followed by the COMAND system.