SHE FINALLY ARRIVED THIS EVENING!!! QUICK REVIEW AND POST-DETAIL PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Talking SHE FINALLY ARRIVED THIS EVENING!!! QUICK REVIEW AND POST-DETAIL PHOTOS

Well, it's been one hell of a wait, and one hell of a process, but a worthwhile one to be sure.

This is not just an improvement on the old platform, it's a complete evolution, if not a revolution.

I've been obsessing about the arrival of this since my W204 went back to the bank and I have to say that I was MORE than worried about how the 205 was going to stack up against what I truly thought was perfect.

There was something about the 204 that kept me hooked and I will forever miss that car. That being said, the void has been filled, and let me tell you, it's been filled quite well, and this is only after about 40 miles of driving.

This car is better than the outgoing one in every imaginable way (personal opinion of course). I think my problem leading up to getting the car was that the reviews left me empty and yearning for details that I couldn't attain without getting the car and having it for myself. Also, as much as I love Chris Harris and God knows who else, an individuals' bond with his car is an individuals' bond with his car....redundant I know, but what I'm trying to convey is that no one can tell you that something is good, you have to find out firsthand.

One of my favorite principles is that the proof of anything is in the experience.

My experience thus far leaves me blown away, high on adrenaline, and drained emotionally, LOL.

I can't put into words how well put together this car is in every imaginable realm. The new engine is absolutely incredible, the car feels super SUPER light on its' feet, the transmission is lightning quick (both up and down despite what some reviews say, I've driven the GT at length and this really is not far off at all, if any), the car turns in amazingly well, the steering feedback is BETTER than the 204 and the CCB's?!? AMAZING......

(side note) i was incredibly worried about the electronic steering but let me tell you that anyone who says that they can't feel what's going on under them is a mute in the realm of tactile feedback (if there is such a thing).

Any who, I've attached some photos but they don't do this car justice.

The design is incredible and the build quality is out of control.

I'll shut up now and try to sleep (ain't going to happen).

http://img.gg/R9uy6Cl

Cheers,

CAP

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 06-10-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Absolutely stunning. Perhaps some of the best photos I've seen yet. The CCBs really pop on your car.

Many congrats. This has to be one of the first Hoosier W205 C63s!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
have you tried downshifting two gears? is that still quick?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by zibby43
Absolutely stunning. Perhaps some of the best photos I've seen yet. The CCBs really pop on your car.

Many congrats. This has to be one of the first Hoosier W205 C63s!
Thanks boss, I'm truly in love.

Can't wait to get rid of the fishbowl...I think the calipers will pop even more once that's done...shiny windows kind of win in the attention game unfortunately

Originally Posted by Bespoke88
nope, not yet..the torque on this thing in 3rd and 4th gear is just stupid LOL.

I can't wait to get send my ECU to Jerry @ Eurocharged <---- see this Jerry, it's a plug ;-) Hope you are well my friend.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 AM

bmw
Ok thanks!!

But the upshift and downshift compared to w204 would you say is a lot quicker? The w204 was SLOW - where I am from it feels impossible to get a test drive in, so I have to go on others opinions, I am a manual guy - this will be my first auto in a long time, so this does worry me a bit.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Ok thanks!!

But the upshift and downshift compared to w204 would you say is a lot quicker? The w204 was SLOW - where I am from it feels impossible to get a test drive in, so I have to go on others opinions, I am a manual guy - this will be my first auto in a long time, so this does worry me a bit.
no bull****, exponentially quicker and more responsive.

i can't believe it's the same housing, they really did change a lot.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 AM

bmw
Thanks one last question - which exhaust did you get? and how do you like it? can you hear it in the cabin?

How does it stack up to the odl c63? I love that exhaust!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Thanks one last question - which exhaust did you get? and how do you like it? can you hear it in the cabin?

How does it stack up to the odl c63? I love that exhaust!
All I can say is that each are awesome in their own rights but until I tune the car I can't make a fair judgement.

I have performance exhaust and it definitely is louder than the old car on a stock to tune basis.

But again, the noise coming out is different yet still amazing.

The argument is kind of like trying to determine whether a Patek Phillipe is better than a Brequet....both are incredible and at the end of the day, is one really better than the other? I think not.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG

I've played with this on my car. I can pull the paddle twice quickly and the car always downshifts twice, that is, it has never missed a downshift no matter how fast I pull the paddle. This is a huge contrast to my wife's 2012 C63 which almost never makes the second downshift under the same conditions.

The first downshift happens almost instantly. I say almost because I'm comparing to the M4 that I just traded in. The M4 DCT was the fastest transmission I have ever experienced and that includes a 2014 GT-R that I owned for a year. The C63S transmission is sadly not in the same league as the M4 DCT. It is however more than adequate for the street and probably not much of a handicap for the track.

The second downshift definitely happens, but I would say that it takes a full second, perhaps 1.5 seconds from the time I pull the paddle to the time that the second downshift completes. I did this testing in Sport+ mode. I am still trying to figure out Race mode, but I don't use it regularly.

Cheers
Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Congrats with your new ride she is beautiful.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM

Limbo
Pics like those make me wish my other half didn't hate white cars. What a sweet-looking machine.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C63S
What a beautiful car man!! It looks amazing.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
Congrats!! The car looks great. I wish I had CCB.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Gorgeous!! Is that the diamond white btw?

Enjoy
Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Ok thanks!!

W204 tranny shifts are NOT slow, you guys are so full of yourselfs, i think its just age kicking in on you old boys,

You guys compare a TWIN TURBO ENGINE to a N/A ...uhh yeah of course it'll be a little faster in EVERYTHING when it's having AIR stuffed down it's throat.

Here lets compare a F35 fighter Jet to a single engine cessna and wonder why the cessna lost.

Looks gorgeous though OP, I can't wait to test drive one when my local MB gets theres
Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
W204 tranny shifts are NOT slow, you guys are so full of yourselfs, i think its just age kicking in on you old boys,

You guys compare a TWIN TURBO ENGINE to a N/A ...uhh yeah of course it'll be a little faster in EVERYTHING when it's having AIR stuffed down it's throat.

Here lets compare a F35 fighter Jet to a single engine cessna and wonder why the cessna lost.

Looks gorgeous though OP, I can't wait to test drive one when my local MB gets theres

Especially with a tune, the W204 shifting is actually quite fast and basically on par with the W205. The problem is that even with the tunes that I have tried, the W204 will not reliably respond to multiple paddle pulls.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by irablumberg
Especially with a tune, the W204 shifting is actually quite fast and basically on par with the W205. The problem is that even with the tunes that I have tried, the W204 will not reliably respond to multiple paddle pulls.
Sounds like the W205's MCT is more adept at handling "stacked commands." Good stuff. Wonder how much of this improvement is due to software?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4

I don't think he's referring to actual shift times, rather the response time from pulling the paddle and the transmission shifting (the electronic lag).

The C63S I test drove was extremely responsive to paddle shifting, and the shifts themselves felt just as fast as the F80 M3 I test drove.

I haven't driven a W204 C63, but the hardware/software updates AMG made to the W205 are on par with or better than the ZF 8-speed auto trans we see everywhere - and that's a great trans.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Looks absolutely fantastic! Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
thanks everyone did a nice road trip today and was just awesome...i look forward to exploring this car more...
Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 PM

bmw

What does this have to do with how the transmission behaves? I don't get it?

So you are saying anything turbo is going to shift faster?

By your theory the PDK in the porsche 911 turbo is faster then the PDK in 911 gt3rs...

And yes the c63 204 shifts are slow, there is lag time in between shifts.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I don't think he's referring to actual shift times, rather the response time from pulling the paddle and the transmission shifting (the electronic lag).

The C63S I test drove was extremely responsive to paddle shifting, and the shifts themselves felt just as fast as the F80 M3 I test drove.

I haven't driven a W204 C63, but the hardware/software updates AMG made to the W205 are on par with or better than the ZF 8-speed auto trans we see everywhere - and that's a great trans.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
And yes the c63 204 shifts are slow, there is lag time in between shifts.
In S+, the upshifts and downshifts on my '13 C63 w/ MCT are on point.

In full M mode, however, there are sometimes slight delays on upshifts but downshifts occur on command. The M-DCT is quicker and more consistent than the W204's MCT in full manual mode but the auto modes on the MCT are quite good. That's been my experience, anyway.

I've had several cars with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." and it is indeed a great transmission. The main difference I've noticed between the ZF unit and the MCT in my W204 is that upshifts in M mode were always quicker/more consistent with the ZF gearbox.

BTW, I love the W205 and will be ordering one eventually.

Last edited by zibby43; 06-10-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:04 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by zibby43
In S+, the upshifts and downshifts on my '13 C63 w/ MCT are on point.

In full M mode, however, there are sometimes slight delays on upshifts but downshifts occur on command. The M-DCT is quicker and more consistent than the W204's MCT in full manual mode but the auto modes on the MCT are quiet good. That's been my experience, anyway.

I've had several cars with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." and it is indeed a great transmission. The main difference I've noticed between the ZF unit and the MCT in my W204 is that upshifts in M mode were always quicker/more consistent with the ZF gearbox.

BTW, I love the W205 and will be ordering one eventually.
I think things are all relative too, early congrats on the w205

If you tried the new m3/m4 or even the e92 generation dct which is decent - not as good as the new platform of course - or any P car PDK - or say GT-R then the shifts of the w204 will feel slow and laggy.

Of course if you compare to say - a normal auto like a c class 3 series ect.. then I would say w204 is fine.

At the end of the day - neither the w204 or w205 is a true DCT so for me it was one of the major concerns being that I cannot test drive the car before buying, I have to get as much info from people that have already picked one up and see their experiences.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Congrats!! Love the CCB!! Your car is stunning; did you get the CF Exterior Package as well? This maybe the first 100% option vehicle in the US? P.S. I love your new center caps. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SHE FINALLY ARRIVED THIS EVENING!!! QUICK REVIEW AND POST-DETAIL PHOTOS