Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Jones2012S4

TCU tunes later released by GIAC mitigated this issue to be almost non existent. This leads me to believe it is largely a programming issue rather than a mechanical design issue.

Correct, as I've stated in a previous post I too have a TCU tune on my 7GTronic and it's not entirely but almost cleared this problem certainly much better than stock setting, mine is not from that company nominated above though there are now numerous people doing it pretty much all who do ECU tunes now also have TCU tunes

It does seem to be related to tune rather than built in, for anyone who's driven any vehicle equipped with the ZF brand of auto transmissions which are also of regular stall converter type they do not have this problem what so ever.

As for DSG's they too suffer from hesitation in certain situations but it's different and not as bad as our MB transmissions.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Audi S4
The only hesitations I have/had about this car were the all weather capability(rectified in my other thread), and the transmission.

The DSG in my S4 is super responsive and is a blast to use. Took 59000 miles of abuse and didn't hiccup once. Stock S4 output of 333HP up to around the 550HP approx (estimated), the car has now.

As stated, the TCU flash only made it that much better.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am hopeful that EUROCHARGED addresses this issue in their tune.
Peter
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limbo
My S6 (DSG) will sit still for 2 seconds if I floor it from a complete stop. There's a pregnant pause getting back on the gas after braking in a corner too. Infuriating and dangerous, and robs the fun of driving the car.

There are supposedly a couple of TSB's that seem fix the issue to some degree (if you say the right words to get the dealer to install them), but I don't think it completely goes away.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by houstonT
Yea I hear ya guys.....still can be dangerous if you're not expecting it.
Peter
quickly slowed, almost to a stop, because of traffic.....signaled to move over a lane and hit the gas...nothing happened....luckily car coming up on me in the other lane slowed while the tranny finally engaged...just horrible...
Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by mpcollins
quickly slowed, almost to a stop, because of traffic.....signaled to move over a lane and hit the gas...nothing happened....luckily car coming up on me in the other lane slowed while the tranny finally engaged...just horrible...
Were you in comfort mode? In comfort the trans disengages the clutch when coasting and has to reengage. If you have HUD you will notice the gear selected goes away when coasting and comes back when back on throttle.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Jones2012S4
This leads me to believe it is largely a programming issue rather than a mechanical design issue.
Exactly, it seems like a programming issue and nothing to do with the mechanical competency of the MCT.

Anytime this has happened to me, it's when the car is in between first and second gear and hasn't downshifted yet. I drive the car around in manual mode 99.9% of the time, so I'm not as familiar with the characteristics of the auto mode.

It seems to happen under two different scenarios (both involve quick stop-and-go, stop sign-type situations):

- I don't come to a complete stop (barely rolling though) and then try to go. The hesitation seems to be the lag time for it to get into 1st gear. I'm asking it to go when the clutch is disengaged, and the TCU is trying to figure out what to do.

- I've come to a stop before the car has begun shifting out of 2nd gear, and when I press the throttle quickly it aborts the downshift, tries to get off the line in 2nd, and then downshifts to 1st after a couple seconds. It's almost like the TCU aborted the 2-1 downshift so I can get immediate power and then downshifts a few seconds later when I'm off the line.

Either way, I've learned to live with and get around this idiosyncrasy to the point I don't even notice. Just anticipate your shifts like you were driving a manual transmission, and the issues go away.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Most of the downshifts that happen with a delay are in Comfort mode. Also, I have got into the habit of pulling the left paddle to engage the lower gear. This help a lot when doing a rolling stop when merging into traffic.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by RDOCA
Were you in comfort mode? In comfort the trans disengages the clutch when coasting and has to reengage. If you have HUD you will notice the gear selected goes away when coasting and comes back when back on throttle.
truthfully i don't recall which mode it was, but i am typically between C and S+. in any case, while i don't have HUD i have noted the "clutch in or Sail" mode in C as it's denoted with a sailboat silhouette on the centre screen, which was not the case the other day. i don't agree that this an acceptable trait of the MCT and definitely don't agree that one should anticipate its occurrence, even if in fact it only manifests itself in C....this is not a dump truck or 18 wheeler where slow and steady rules the day.
I do note JPBenz' suggestion of actually downshifting in C to force a drop to 1st...that is an answer that, while not ideal, is tolerable.
I must admit this sounds like something MB could/should address with software.
other this this little wrinkle, love the car (having said this, if i could swap in my NA 6.3 from my '12 it'd do it in a heartbeat!)
Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Making this better is probably mostly soft wear now as the trans seems to function very well except sometimes at slow speeds and for me mostly in C.
This trans is just a 7G auto with the fluid coupling tossed and a multi plate wet clutch in its place. After the car is moving well it is essentially the same as the auto with the fluid coupling locked and all the shifting done inside the trans with the clutch packs. Just soft wear tuning from here out. The hard part for AMG I would guess is the many different loads and situations in comfort at slow speeds. The trans starts in 2nd in C and coasts in C so there are some more considerations here.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM

The car has this characteristic in any mode (except maybe in manual mode). It's dangerous to be honest.......

Peter
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM

'15 C63S
The car has this characteristic in any mode (except maybe in manual mode). It's dangerous to be honest.......

Peter

I'm almost always in Manual mode in either S+ or Race drivetrain settings (both used through the Individual setting), and the transmission does the same thing for me. It is not a Comfort only issue.

That being said, if you're calling for throttle when the clutch is disengaged, what do you expect the car to do? Dump the clutch? Just learn not to jump in front of traffic when you aren't in the correct gear (which is something you should do anyway).
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
I'm not 100% on this but I think the Wet Clutch ahead of the trans that replaces the fluid coupling is always engaged Except when stopping or when coasting in C so:
It is probably a trans internal hesitation in the several clutch packs (opening and closing to get the appropriate gear) and not the one that replaces the fluid coupling.
This is most likely a soft wear issue and can be remedied.
Have you had the new transmission update that has fixed many issues for some?
I don't have 1000 miles on yet but have not experienced this on my 2016.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I've experienced this a couple times driving my car down town, I round a turn in the city, coast for a few feet, then "attempt" to get on the gas to pull out in traffic, and Nothing happens....... I"m like Oh $$$$ cars are coming..... then it engages and pulls away. it's ever so slight, and not easily repeatable.... but I've def had it happen a couple times similar sceanario.

Does not happen if I come to a complete stop. Only when I slow down for a turn, then try to accelerate into traffic.... the car is just not ready to go or accept my throttle input "YET"....
Old 09-16-2015, 01:10 PM

2016 C63S
I don't have 1000 miles on yet but have not experienced this on my 2016.
Originally Posted by msd3075
That being said, if you're calling for throttle when the clutch is disengaged, what do you expect the car to do? Dump the clutch? Just learn not to jump in front of traffic when you aren't in the correct gear (which is something you should do anyway).
Lol, Peter has had two 1000+ horsepower UGR TT Lambo's - I don't think it's a driver issue. My '16 has done it, and I'll agree that it's a disconcerting feeling. Hopefully, a TCU update will fix the problem.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by keiphers
Lol, Peter has had two 1000+ horsepower UGR TT Lambo's - I don't think it's a driver issue. My '16 has done it, and I'll agree that it's a disconcerting feeling. Hopefully, a TCU update will fix the problem.

I'm not saying someone doesn't know how to drive if they are experiencing these problems; I'm just saying this transmission works significantly better if it's driven with the mindset of a manual instead of a slushbox automatic. It's a car issue, not a driver issue.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C63 S
So I had this and took the car into the dealer. They did a software update and this problem has completely gone away. Get yourself to the dealer.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
JPMBenz, can you this behavior in the 2015 CLS63. It has the updated tranny software.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matt-the-man
So I had this and took the car into the dealer. They did a software update and this problem has completely gone away. Get yourself to the dealer.
Now this is promising.....i will try to do the same...
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Thanks all! Just to clarify, I've owned 6 UGR TT Lambo's

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order........

Peter
Old 09-17-2015, 04:14 PM

2016 C63S
Thanks all! Just to clarify, I've owned 6 UGR TT Lambo's

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order........

Peter
I missed a few in there!

I wouldn't head to the dealer just yet though - I spoke with the AMG sales guy, who in turn spoke with the shop foreman, and they could not find any transmission bullet, update or the like... I'm going to take it in one weekend though for them to try and resolve the issue. In the meantime, there's no "official" fix.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by oggie
JPMBenz, can you this behavior in the 2015 CLS63. It has the updated tranny software.
The MCT is the same trans throughout the vehicles. However, they are all programmed to shift differently.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by keiphers
I missed a few in there!

I wouldn't head to the dealer just yet though - I spoke with the AMG sales guy, who in turn spoke with the shop foreman, and they could not find any transmission bullet, update or the like... I'm going to take it in one weekend though for them to try and resolve the issue. In the meantime, there's no "official" fix.
I don't know why the dealers always have trouble finding updates but as Matt says and several others (I think Rorie was the first I saw) they had this problem and had a update done that seems to fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
I don't know why the dealers always have trouble finding updates but as Matt says and several others (I think Rorie was the first I saw) they had this problem and had a update done that seems to fix the problem.
Yeah, I need to check into this software. I noticed something similar but somewhat of a lag from a stop. I recently started pushing the car from a start while in S+ and M2. For some reason, the car has a one to two second lag. I never noticed it before but after I started playing with manual I found this issue. I've tried it several times and one time I was a bit embarrassed as I had a Camaro peel the line on me while I sat for a second waiting on the car to move. Not sure what the heck is going on here but need to have it fixed.

By the way, I also inquired about a "software fix" when I got my rear axle oil change and was told no software upgrade or fix exist.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW M2 Competition
Originally Posted by Matt-the-man
Please identify the dealer for us if you don't mind

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle tip in hesitation?