C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Sigh* Today was pickup day but dealer called....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Talking Update: *Sigh* Today was pickup day but dealer called....

Today is the day I was supposed to pick up my car after a three-month wait. I live about 50 miles from the dealer and after driving about 35 miles on my way for pick up, I get a call that the “engine lights are on” and they need to keep the car a few more days until they can figure out what is going on. I immediately did a u-turn, got back on the freeway and after driving 35 miles back home, I’m a bit frustrated right now.

With everything going on with these new release cars, I have this eerie feeling in my stomach right now. I leave for summer vacation tomorrow and won’t get back for another week so I really don’t want this in my head while I should be enjoying a rare break from work. In any case, maybe this just a rant but I’m curious to hear thoughts about this situation. Am I overreacting? I’m tempted to punt on this one and wait until Spring 2016 and try again. Or….wait until next week and commit to this 2015 which may or may not have issues. Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks for the serious feedback.

Last edited by Iceman II; 07-06-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Audi S4
Originally Posted by Iceman II
Today is the day I was supposed to pick up my car after a three-month wait. I live about 50 miles from the dealer and after driving about 35 miles on my way for pick up, I get a call that the “engine lights are on” and they need to keep the car a few more days until they can figure out what is going on. I immediately did a u-turn, got back on the freeway and after driving 35 miles back home, I’m a bit frustrated right now.

With everything going on with these new release cars, I have this eerie feeling in my stomach right now. I leave for summer vacation tomorrow and won’t get back for another week so I really don’t want this in my head while I should be enjoying a rare break from work. In any case, maybe this just a rant but I’m curious to hear thoughts about this situation. Am I overreacting? I’m tempted to punt on this one and wait until Spring 2016 and try again. Or….wait until next week and commit to this 2015 which may or may not have issues. Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks for the serious feedback.
Being an engineer for a major automotive company, specifically in their manufacturing division. New model releases are always a bit sketchy.

A completely redisgned vehicle that uses the same drive train and power plant is one thing. However, a redesigned car with a new drive train and power plant is one tough cookie to nail on the first try.

I always skip the first release based on my experience in the industry.

Last edited by Jones2012S4; 06-30-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limbo
That sucks, dude. I'd wait to see what they find before getting too stressed, though. A million very minor things can cause a CEL.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
I'm not certain what is meant by the "engine lights are on", but it sure doesn't sound like a CEL. In any event, I hope that they can sort out the issue (maybe a bad connector or cable) in short order and it's not something catastrophic. Regardless, this shouldn't be happening. The W205 has been in production for more than a year now and the C63S has been in multiple countries before its release for the US. Makes me uneasy about a $90K machine.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by Jones2012S4
Being an engineer for a major automotive company, specifically in their manufacturing division. New model releases are always a bit sketchy.

A completely redisgned vehicle that uses the same drive train and power plant is one thing. However, a redesigned car with a new drive train and power plant is one tough cookie to nail on the first try.

I always skip the first release based on my experience in the industry.
This is something that has always been in the back of my head. I guess the emotions involved with owning this type of car can cloud your thinking a bit in this regard.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:11 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by Delurker
That sucks, dude. I'd wait to see what they find before getting too stressed, though. A million very minor things can cause a CEL.
Yeah, could be anything but won't let it drive me crazy. Wont get the car if I feel it will drive me crazy. Wife won't allow it either.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Relax! I am sure everything is fine. It is better it happened BEFORE you took delivery.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:20 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by HBerman
I'm not certain what is meant by the "engine lights are on", but it sure doesn't sound like a CEL. In any event, I hope that they can sort out the issue (maybe a bad connector or cable) in short order and it's not something catastrophic. Regardless, this shouldn't be happening. The W205 has been in production for more than a year now and the C63S has been in multiple countries before its release for the US. Makes me uneasy about a $90K machine.
I agree. I hope they resolve this soon. Of course my biggest issue now is my wife, who has been really cool with the idea of owning both an M4 and C63S, is not pleased since she will drive the C63S just as much as I will.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Relax! I am sure everything is fine. It is better it happened BEFORE you took delivery.
That's the plan. Certainly don't plan to take this with me on vacation. Will deal with it when I return.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes C350 Coupe
Is the M3 more reliable? According to the BMW forums they are discounting it unlike the C63. C63 is MSRP only it appears.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep, just make like it's still in transport and hasn't arrived yet from the VPC. Lots of things happen when a car get finished with its ocean voyage when being assembled in Germany, but you would never get a report of what had to be fixed before it was placed on the transport to the dealer. Of course, here the VPC is outside of the factory in AL so a failure as described would be most unusual to not be detected before shipment.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:34 PM

Currently Looking
I agree with the others. Wait and see before you give up on the car. It could be something minor. The good news is they will run a test on the car so you should be trouble free for a while. Like JP said, it could have happened after you picked up the car and made it 25 miles down the road. They're cars and they are not perfect.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by spacegeek
I agree with the others. Wait and see before you give up on the car. It could be something minor. The good news is they will run a test on the car so you should be trouble free for a while. Like JP said, it could have happened after you picked up the car and made it 25 miles down the road. They're cars and they are not perfect.
+1 Man it sucks after waiting so long and the enjoyment of the day that it is finally here and then to be deflated . . . definitely feel for you.
Just go and enjoy your vacation and look forward to coming back and MB having this issue resolved.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
987.1 Porsche Cayman S

There's always a positive spin on everything. They could have forgotten to call you and you would have driven the entire 50 min! I would be blown a bit too if my excitement level was so high while I was driving then had to turn around. Just be patient, some others already hit the point that at least they caught it before you got the car and went home. Then you would have had to make a 2nd trip! You will be riding and enjoying your car in no time!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Wait for a 2016. Just my .02.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Update: Dealer just text that they are working with Mercedes (I'm assuming MBUSA) to resolve the issue so it could be a couple of days.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 AM

2016 C63S, 2008 Ford FR500S, 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo
[QUOTE=Iceman II;6482655]Update: Dealer just text that they are working with Mercedes (I'm assuming MBUSA) to resolve the issue so it could be a couple of days.

What are the chances that the "bugs" are going to be any different on a MY 16. Mine is scheduled to be built first week of September. That doesn't leave much time for them to do much of any thing different.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
[QUOTE=camnet;6483014]
Update: Dealer just text that they are working with Mercedes (I'm assuming MBUSA) to resolve the issue so it could be a couple of days.

What are the chances that the "bugs" are going to be any different on a MY 16. Mine is scheduled to be built first week of September. That doesn't leave much time for them to do much of any thing different.
Certain "bugs" that are diagnosed and resolved with the MY2015 will be automatically corrected with the introduction of the MY2016
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
I'd ask specifically what issues they are detecting other than the CEL. I wouldn't let them deliver me a car without telling me what the issue was and what they did to fix it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
A car is just a collection of systems. All cars have glitches (new release or old).
My wifes new 2014 c63 had a fuel pump problem with <1000miles which resulted in a trip to the shop. 2014 c63 is Late in the run for that model.

Agree to get details on the codes, and problem, and fix. It's your car, you deserve to know this information.

A good result: they found something specificly wrong via codes, and replaced a part and problem solved.

A poor result: they did not see a specific problem via codes so changed a few parts or restarted until code went away...... lower confidence for this fix.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Sorry that you're going through this. A friend picked up a C63 S few days ago and the car went back to the dealer on a flatbed 2 hours after he took delivery.

Not sure what's going on with his car, and the dealer has been very secretive about the issues. He's given them until Monday to sort things out or buy the car back.

Best of luck, however you're in a much better position than my friend.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 AM

2012 Audi S4
Originally Posted by betrezra
A car is just a collection of systems. All cars have glitches (new release or old).
My wifes new 2014 c63 had a fuel pump problem with 1000miles which resulted in a trip to the shop. 2014 c63 is Late in the run for that model.

Agree to get details on the codes, and problem, and fix. It's your car, you deserve to know this information.

A good result: they found something specificly wrong via codes, and replaced a part and problem solved.

A poor result: they did not see a specific problem via codes so changed a few parts or restarted until code went away...... lower confidence for this fix.

Customers or potential buyers should be concerned with the frequency of similar issues popping up in such a small sample size of customers. This forum is a small sample of actual buyers, and the fact that a decent amount of members have mentioned similar issues. While there is NOT a lot of issues being recognized, there is still a good number of items being recognized, at least what I am perceiving.

To me it sounds like Mercedes not only switched the chassis, power train, drive train, basically everything about the car, they also decided to change the production location from where the W204 was built. A completely new manufacturing facility with all new employees in a completely different country, that is a lot to undertake. This is from information I have attained from the dealership and this website.

Sure there will always be issues with vehicles, first run, fifth run, etc.. Its sample size and frequency what really tells all. Still too early to say, will just have to wait and see. I am sure glad I joined here before jumping at this amazing new car. That and I think I want to wait and see what the coupe will look like before.

Last edited by Jones2012S4; 07-02-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
Sorry that you're going through this. A friend picked up a C63 S few days ago and the car went back to the dealer on a flatbed 2 hours after he took delivery.

Not sure what's going on with his car, and the dealer has been very secretive about the issues. He's given them until Monday to sort things out or buy the car back.

Best of luck, however you're in a much better position than my friend.
I assume that MBUSA must be following this thread. The C63S is a halo car and major failures are not good. I hope that this all gets sorted out in the next several months.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmmmmmm my car has been perfect thus far....no issues (1,500 miles so far)
Peter
Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63 S

Sorry Iceman. That's a bummer. Honestly I agree with what others are saying. It is good that you haven't taken delivery yet. I have confidence MB will make it right. The waiting is the only pain!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *Sigh* Today was pickup day but dealer called....