C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Owners any regrets with the coupe being better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
Sedan Owners any regrets with the coupe being better?

Just curious if anyone regrets their order.. aside from if you need 4 doors, thats different, otherwise coupe seems to be better in every aspect

Looks (subjective)
Performance - wider track - wider tires - new suspension - better gear ratios

Seems like the sedan people got shafted

I would trade mine in next year, but losing about 15k on trade is kinda stupid..
Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 c63S estate, 997 GT3, 981S
I have a C63S estate (wife's car) and have absolutely no regrets. The Coupe is targeted at a specific segment. As for resale, I was just offered AUD$18k (USD$13k) more than what I paid for it 2 months ago by a car wholesaler so I may end up offloading it. But I would buy the same car, same colour again (only the wait is 8 months now in Australia).

Last edited by PorGT3; 08-28-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:31 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Just my opinion on this, I would like to think that people who want a sedan are happy with the sedan, people who want a wagon or estate would be happy with their choice as well.

It doesn't make sense to me that a person who has the sedan will now feel shafted because the coupe has certain aspects which are better, that would mean that particular person didn't know what they wanted in the first place or were just too impatient to wait for further variant releases

Coupes are and have always been the ultimate or at least the most sporty and dynamic variant of any vehicle model type to begin with.

Not ever been a problem for me, I've always favoured coupes wanted a coupe C205 from the beginning, my mind and choice is made and personally couldn't care less if the sedan or estate were better, I don't need a work horse or passenger/people carrier hence the coupe it is

Each to his own at the end of the day.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
I like the look of sedans better than coupes. Personal opinion.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM

C63S / Kawasaki ZX10R
yep ordered c63s sedan arriving within the week - i wish it were the c63s coupe. coupe will have DCT instead of the MCT - plus i think the coupe will cost a good 15k more, cannot complain. i was thinking of cancelling the order however cannot wait 12 months for the coupe to arrive.

Last edited by Evacuate; 08-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Evacuate
yep ordered c63s sedan arriving within the week - i wish it were the c63s coupe. coupe will have DCT instead of the MCT - plus i think the coupe will cost a good 15k more, cannot complain. i was thinking of cancelling the order however cannot wait 12 months for the car to arrive.
Not to derail the thread, but is DCT coming to the sedan at any point? I think that would make sedan owner's less upset about variances between the coupe and sedan version of the car.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM

C63S / Kawasaki ZX10R
Originally Posted by equetefue
Not to derail the thread, but is DCT coming to the sedan at any point? I think that would make sedan owner's less upset about variances between the coupe and sedan version of the car.
DCT may find its way into the sedan during its next face lift - however i do feel shafted. i was always thinking the coupe would be similar to the sedan as was the w204. however if the cost of the new coupe was substantially over priced as was the coupe black series i would not consider the coupe.

Last edited by Evacuate; 08-28-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
I don't believe that the coupe will get a DCT. According to the official AMG press release, the coupe has the MCT 7 speed transmission which is the same as the sedan.

By the way, after 3 months of driving my E1, I have to say that the transmission has adapted really well and shifts beautifully and is very responsive. It is just a touch slower than the DCT on the M4 I previously owned, but the difference is insignificant. Overall, the improvements in the MCT over the W204 generation are huge. It really is like a different transmission.

On the main topic, I think the real difference between the sedan and coupe is in the suspension which AMG claims it reworked, and in the wheels and tires which are significantly larger on the coupe. Notwithstanding this, I am quite happy with the sedan. I had an M4 coupe and the added convenience of a 4 door car is a big benefit for me since I like to drive my family around in my car. Ultimately, I can likely get a significant measure of the coupe's improved performance just by installing the equivalent larger wheels and tires and perhaps with a bit of suspension work.

Bottom line, even if the coupe had been available when I bought my sedan, I would still have chosen the sedan.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM

C63S / Kawasaki ZX10R
Originally Posted by irablumberg
I don't believe that the coupe will get a DCT. According to the official AMG press release, the coupe has the MCT 7 speed transmission which is the same as the sedan.

By the way, after 3 months of driving my E1, I have to say that the transmission has adapted really well and shifts beautifully and is very responsive. It is just a touch slower than the DCT on the M4 I previously owned, but the difference is insignificant. Overall, the improvements in the MCT over the W204 generation are huge. It really is like a different transmission.

On the main topic, I think the real difference between the sedan and coupe is in the suspension which AMG claims it reworked, and in the wheels and tires which are significantly larger on the coupe. Notwithstanding this, I am quite happy with the sedan. I had an M4 coupe and the added convenience of a 4 door car is a big benefit for me since I like to drive my family around in my car. Ultimately, I can likely get a significant measure of the coupe's improved performance just by installing the equivalent larger wheels and tires and perhaps with a bit of suspension work.

Bottom line, even if the coupe had been available when I bought my sedan, I would still have chosen the sedan.
http://www.mercedes-amg.com
mentions it will have DCT

great to hear your enjoying the car. i need some inspiration been feeling depressed. i have been without a car for 6 months been riding my motorbike while waiting for my sedan. plus driving my wifes GOLF has not beed very inspiring. ,, their will always be something better. ill stick with sedan

Last edited by Evacuate; 08-28-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Evacuate
http://www.mercedes-amg.com
mentions it will have DCT

great to hear your enjoying the car. i need some inspiration been feeling depressed. i have been without a car for 6 months been riding my motorbike while waiting for my sedan. plus driving my wifes GOLF has not beed very inspiring. very deflated at the moment waiting over 6 months for the car to arrive also doubling my son to and from soccer in the rain sucks.
I looked at that link. The press release says "SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7"
Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 AM

C63S / Kawasaki ZX10R
I looked at that link. The press release says "SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7"

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci...ng#performance

Transmission

Last edited by Evacuate; 08-28-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:56 AM

If you read the text below the headline it refers to the transmission as the MCT. Thus, given the other press releases that also refer to it as the MCT and the fact that we were told that the DCT from the GT-S was (a) too expensive; and (b) too large to fit in the C-class, I think it is highly likely that the C coupe will get the same drive train, including transmission, as the sedan.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM

C63S / Kawasaki ZX10R
If you read the text below the headline it refers to the transmission as the MCT. Thus, given the other press releases that also refer to it as the MCT and the fact that we were told that the DCT from the GT-S was (a) too expensive; and (b) too large to fit in the C-class, I think it is highly likely that the C coupe will get the same drive train, including transmission, as the sedan.
Ohh, that solves that one,
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
pre production pics are not the same as what you buy off the lot...... so we'll see.

re getting shafted..... not sure about that one.

I'm enjoying my seat time in the W205 so far. Short of some little issues, it's been a good ride.

I do expect later variants of the W205 to progressively get better and better and FASTER...... although the 09 W204 is just as cool as the 12 W204.... less features.... but in no way a bad car.

At 47 yrs old.... I'm actually not as into the big scoops flares as the younger chaps..... so that doesn't really affect my percieved value equation.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
to me the biggest miss If I were to own a sedan, would be the bigger wheel/tire setup.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
Take the infinity G35 for example, the coupe and the sedan are different beasts, i used to not like the sedan look, but actually after a while it grew on me. And the coupe, it don't think it looks that good anymore.

This is sort of like fashion, something that "wows" usually is short lived, something that is subtle usually either grows or has a lasting look.

I am not saying the coupe is over the top, it is nice regardless, but the sedan is going after a different look/segment. We are really comparing apples to oranges.

As a buyer of the sedan, I do envy the privilege of owning a coupe, but so are there many other cars out there (911gts, boxster, cayman, Q7, tesla, etc...)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
If I had a choice I would get the coupe. But its just a simple issue of need for me as my Lexus's lease expires in 3 weeks and it is my only car, so waiting a year is out of the question.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
People who purchased the sedan in April or later while spy pics and talk of the C63 Coupe were circulating should have no reason to regret their decision. At the end of the day, sedans are about practicality -- you have 4 doors and seating for 5. For me personally, if I needed 4 doors, I would have sprung for the wagon since I think looks much better than the sedan -- it's unfortunate it isn't available here.

If you didn't actually need the practicality of the sedan and was just impatient to get into a new C63, then I can see how some people might regret getting the sedan -- especially if they were aware the Coupe was around the corner at the time of their purchase.

Many assumed the Coupe specs would be identical to the sedan as it was with the previous gen... but since the Coupe is significantly different in not only unique suspension, tires/wheels, and gearing, it also has a unique body that is far more differentiated compared to the W205 C63 and the W205 C300/C450's body.

The conversation I had with my salesman after test driving the W205 C63 back in early June revolved around when the Coupe might be coming out... I was so hesitant to put in an order, because I knew I'd kick myself if I purchased the sedan knowing that the Coupe could be revealed by summers end.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 08-28-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
You are right -- looks are subjective and "being better" is relative. I'm a sedan guy so its certainly not "better" in my view. I think the coupe is a beautiful car but I have zero regrets. The same can be said about the M3 / M4.

Now if they released the coupe with DCT, 550hp, 3500lbs, -- I might have a little envy but nothing at this point.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
ice-....... OK I give....... DCT, wide azzzz DTM racing body kit, 550hp, 3500lbs.... AHHH I will feel JIPPED .....
Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
Originally Posted by Iceman II
You are right -- looks are subjective and "being better" is relative. I'm a sedan guy so its certainly not "better" in my view. I think the coupe is a beautiful car but I have zero regrets. The same can be said about the M3 / M4.

Now if they released the coupe with DCT, 550hp, 3500lbs, -- I might have a little envy but nothing at this point.
I agree with you. The coupe doesn't really do anything for me. I mean its nice but I'm more of a sedan guy. To be honest id take the M4 over the C63S coupe only because i dont the back half of the car. I could always go with a wide body kit once one becomes available (which it will eventually lol) Im already TOO far into this build to regret anything

The car still has MCT, a pano equipped car will probably weigh more than mine, and it has the same amount of power that mine did stock.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM

2015 C63s E1 Irridium silver, 2008 C300 rwd, 2007 Audi Q7 3.6 S line premium, 2002 Renault LagunaII
I am very happy with my E1 sedan and I love the sedan look better. I have been saying, and still think the side profile of the coupe resembles the Honda Accord's.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S Edition 1, 1995 Ferrari F355, 2004 Mini Cooper JCW MC 40, 1967 MGB
I like the sedan look better than the coupe. But the coupe is an improvement over the last coupe design.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:03 PM

2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
I test drove an edition 1 C63S - looked sharp...definitely would need to drop the coupe and do a wide body kit..considering selling the W204 and switching over to this
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2016 C63 AMG S
I like Coupe's more, but I needed 4 doors. So I'm satisfied. Highly satisfied in fact. Loving my car (got it 4 days ago)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan Owners any regrets with the coupe being better?