C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Interior VS Open-Pore Ash

Old 09-01-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG C63S

I'm currently waiting on my car to go into production in October. I'm still in the green, so I can still make changes, much to the chagrin of my dealership. Right now, I'm having a personal struggle between the carbon fiber interior and the open-pore ash.

I like that the open-pore is matte and therefore not prone to fingerprints, but the carbon fiber just looks so pretty. Does anyone here who has the carbon fiber trim find him/herself constantly wiping off the fingerprints, or is it really a non-issue? Is it prone to scratches? Does it make the car look sporty or does it kind of over do it?

The main reason why I didn't initially select the carbon fiber was because it was pricey, and because it's such a huge piece right in the center, and not an accent along the dash or the doors. For those of you who have seen both, which looks better?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Diamond W205 C63s Ed1
Originally Posted by rongpanda
I'm currently waiting on my car to go into production in October. I'm still in the green, so I can still make changes, much to the chagrin of my dealership. Right now, I'm having a personal struggle between the carbon fiber interior and the open-pore ash.

I like that the open-pore is matte and therefore not prone to fingerprints, but the carbon fiber just looks so pretty. Does anyone here who has the carbon fiber trim find him/herself constantly wiping off the fingerprints, or is it really a non-issue? Is it prone to scratches? Does it make the car look sporty or does it kind of over do it?

The main reason why I didn't initially select the carbon fiber was because it was pricey, and because it's such a huge piece right in the center, and not an accent along the dash or the doors. For those of you who have seen both, which looks better?
Personally I would go for the ash wood. That was in my original build, but I ended up getting an edition one. I've seen both in person and I think the wood looks more subtle and classy white the high gloss finish of the carbon really sticks out. I also would of like the carbon to extend to the side panels, but to be honest I don't really notice finger prints as there is a lot going on with the weave so its hard to see at times. Finger prints are really pronounced on all the gloss black buttons, sometimes I try not to touch them because they smudge so easily. Hope this helps haha.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
I do like them both, but carbon fiber is used a lot now days, so I just figured I would get the one that had a dull finish I like and did not cost extra.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Aston Martin, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Land Rover & Mercedes
I have piano black in the Range Rover and it's a big regret. It's such a fingerprint magnet! It also gets dusty and looks dirty really quickly. I've got the Ash in the C63 and absolutely love it. The non-gloss finish means you can get away with more cleanliness-wise and it will age better in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
I had a loaner with the black gloss and it had greasy fingerprints everywhere. C/F looks great but it is more common these days and a bit pricey. I have the open pore in my car and absolutely love it. Flip a coin if money is not an issue.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
BMW X5

Hello all,

New here and I've decided to pop my cherry with this thread as its something I've been thinking about too.

I like the ash wood trim as its different (I'm used to the shiny BMW polished wood which now feels just a bit cheap to me), more resistant to marking like you have all alluded to, and the fact it runs on the door panels too.

However I wanted to get the carbon exterior package to make the exterior look a bit different. So question - do you think it looks fine to have the ash on the interior but splash the carbon around on the outside?

I just started thinking it might be odd not having the carbon inside and out. Then again with all the thoughts and changes going through my head this might just all sound a bit stupid (FYI I just switched my Sedan order over to the coupe).
Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 AM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by RHRAUS
Hello all,

New here and I've decided to pop my cherry with this thread as its something I've been thinking about too.

I like the ash wood trim as its different (I'm used to the shiny BMW polished wood which now feels just a bit cheap to me), more resistant to marking like you have all alluded to, and the fact it runs on the door panels too.

However I wanted to get the carbon exterior package to make the exterior look a bit different. So question - do you think it looks fine to have the ash on the interior but splash the carbon around on the outside?

I just started thinking it might be odd not having the carbon inside and out. Then again with all the thoughts and changes going through my head this might just all sound a bit stupid (FYI I just switched my Sedan order over to the coupe).
After reading everyone's replies, I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and get the carbon fiber mirror caps added to my build to go along with the spoiler, and just keep the open-pore ash. I can't stand fingerprints, especially on something as huge as that center console. I think I'd go crazy trying to maintain the cleanliness on that thing. Thanks for the input guys, now just to hear back from my dealership to see if the caps are viable.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I have CF in my car and the finger prints is really a non issue. However, I am a little OCD when it comes to my cars. LOL
Old 09-01-2015, 03:14 PM

2016 AMG C63S
Thanks for the input, guys. The car was locked in Aug 18, so I missed out on adding anything else, but at least I have the carbon fiber spoiler.