Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Counterintuitive philosophy?!

So what is MB up to?

Traditionally, a car manufacturer, like MB, introduces a new model as a standard and then slowly releases upgrades to keep the customer coming back for more. Take for example, the standard w204 c63. "...that's why we gave it 451hp!" Said the tv ad. Two years later the p31 option added a rated 30hp to that. Then later the 507 was introduced along with a few more ponies in the black series. Same with the introduction of the M157 engine. It showed up at low 500 hp rating to eventually at 575 I think in the E63s.
So how come the M177 and 178 are brought out as their more potent versions first. The standard and "s" versions of the C63 and the amg GT were introduced at the same time. And then we get the "s" variant first!? There is no amg GT yet in NA. They are all GTs's. As I picked up my c63s last week I check the allocation and there isn't one for the non "s" C63.
I think the non "s" variants are fantastic choices, yet I don't think anyone would want them when the "s" upgrade is abundantly available and can be had possibly with a bit of a discount.
"Humm, let's release the black series first, then we can do the SLS GT next year and we'll finish the SLS cycle with the standard. The final edition is the least special. The customer will keep coming back to downgrade. Moohahahaha!"

I don't think so. I think the non "s" is a bait. There will be very low production numbers only to give the purchasers of the "s" version a sense of winning. They are dating the prettier sister. Woohoo.
The non "s" is the medium popcorn in the movies. You get the least value per size, but the large is three times the size and only a dollar fitty more. So you end up buying that even if all you want is as much popcorn there is in the medium.

Later on, back to the old plan where the so called "s" will have its own upgrades and up charges mid cycle and on.

I think the "s" doesn't stand for sports or special or super fast. It stands for STANDARD!

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A45, Amarok, C63s Edition 1 wagon.
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I think the "s" doesn't stand for sports or special or super fast. It stands for STANDARD!

Thoughts?
That's the case in Australia. We only get the S models here - not just because we only want plenty of power, but because Mercedes Benz Australia knows that bringing a "lesser" model of their stupid cars and selling them for less money will undermine their position and make it tough to justify $175k for a C63s.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti QX56
[QUOTE=finch!;6630538]That's the case in Australia. We only get the S models here - not just because we only want plenty of power, but because Mercedes Benz Australia knows that bringing a "lesser" model of their stupid cars and selling them for less money will undermine their position and make it tough to justify $175k for a C63s.

Holy crap! That's literally double the US price! But I guess we pay double the price (or more) for education and healthcare, so it probably evens out at the end of the day. Crazy though...
Old 12-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
The 'S' designation for AMG basically replaces the performance package options of the past AMGs. I know for W204 C63 at least, almost all were sold with the performance package.

They will make more powerful C63 trims than the C63s, that much can be certain
Old 12-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
My local dealer would be able to order me a Non S C63 AMG and sell it at 1500 over invoice. But honestly the S package adds a lot of value to the car and you can negotiate 2015 leftover C63S at something like 10k off sticker right now, which is effectively under invoice.

Makes the decision a no brainer in my book.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
[QUOTE=PaulNC;6630669]
Originally Posted by finch!
That's the case in Australia. We only get the S models here - not just because we only want plenty of power, but because Mercedes Benz Australia knows that bringing a "lesser" model of their stupid cars and selling them for less money will undermine their position and make it tough to justify $175k for a C63s.

Holy crap! That's literally double the US price! But I guess we pay double the price (or more) for education and healthcare, so it probably evens out at the end of the day. Crazy though...
It is ridiculous how expensive cars are to buy here in Oz. We get slugged a % luxury car tax which doesn't help either.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
[QUOTE=PaulNC;6630669]
Originally Posted by finch!

It's terribly expensive here in Australia but spare a thought for some other Countries where it's even more expensive again

I too am at odds with what MB/AMG have done with the model variants of the new 205 series C63 but I suppose it works in some markets and that's why they did it, as mentioned above by Sanch where it does not work or suit then they've taken the obvious step of not bothering with the base version, I suspect here in Australia despite the high price tag there wouldn't be many if any people who would buy the lesser C63 over the C63S so perfect decision by MB Aust. to just cancel the base variant
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
[QUOTE=Sanch;6631140]
Originally Posted by PaulNC

It is ridiculous how expensive cars are to buy here in Oz. We get slugged a % luxury car tax which doesn't help either.
Something like 33 or 38% actually on top of the standard list price and then people wonder why depreciation is so high on luxury imported cars immediately after purchase.....

Still that doesn't stop anyone interested in these cars here, Australia is the highest per capita AMG owners in the World

As you know our local automotive industry is coming to an end, despite that I doubt the government will remove that import luxury tax which was introduced in the first place to protect the local automotive industry - too much easy money to say no to