Considering a C63 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S
Considering a C63 S

Hey guys, So I'm a FNG here.

Strongly considering ordering a C63 S in the next week or two. Test drove a C450 and a W204 C63 (dealer didn't have a W205 C63) to get an idea of what the car would feel like. Not ideal, but it was enough to put it at the top of the list. Both cars were absolutely amazing to drive!

I just sold my 07 BMW E90 335i (Loaded, sport package, manual, etc). Not considering another BMW cause that one left me stranded twice (on road trips of course) and had a few other issues. Despite the fact that I was the original owner, always babied the car, did all the maintenance at the dealer and never tracked it. In a nutshell the reliability was pretty poor for the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Now I've looked through both the W204 and W205 C63 sections and have seen quite a few complaints about various things. Is the C63 gonna be a repeat of my BMW ownership experience? I don't mind paying for expensive maintenance and I am very meticulous about doing all the recommended maintenance. What I don't like is stupid things breaking all the time, like door lock actuators, windshield washer fluid tanks, squeaks and rattles for no reason, just to list a few. If I am maintaining the car as recommended, then it should just work like its supposed. Obviously some things will eventually need to be replaced due to age, but my BMW was just ridiculous.

I like to keep my cars for a while when I buy them. I have two Lexus LXs with 180k and 190K on each and only recently have I had to do some repairs that are not normal maintenance, but considering the mileage, what went wrong, and how I have driven them, I'm still utterly amazed at how well they are engineered/built. These rest has just been regular PM or wear and tear like tires/brakes/etc.

I would love to hear from some owners here their experiences with their current or previous C63.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Welcome...! First let me say, IMHO, car reliability is hit or miss. I was a dedicated BMW guy for a long time and just turned to MB when they released the new C63S. I had zero issues with my 550i and M-badge cars and have not had any of the early release issues with my C63S. There were many quality-related issues with the first year W205 release (AMG and non-AMG) car but I suspect most (or some) of them have been worked out. But that was also the case with the F80 BMWs as well.

I haven't had any major issues or CELs yet with my June 2015 build, even while running a piggy tune. Perhaps like you, I have very low tolerance/patience for bad quality products and don't like repeat trips to the service department -- especially with a spanking new car. So far I've been very pleased with the absence of issues (yep, knocking on wood right now.). I love the car and find myself looking for reasons to run errands just to hear the exhaust note.

As a new MB guy, I was a bit nervous about not having the free maintenance so I purchased the PPM offer -- not sure it was a good deal but I have it now and there is no turning back. Got over 7k on the tires and they are holding up. Although the tune will certainly accelerate the need for new rears. The brakes are excellent but I haven't pushed them to the limit.....yet. The wipers are noisy but I live in drought-stricken SoCal so not a problem. If you live in the north east/west or the midwest, they might drive you crazy.

No wind noise for me but it has been reported by a few others. My only complaint was personal related to the shift selector on the steering wheel . I got over it and have moved on -- not an issue any more.

Good luck with the purchase.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...-mods-etc.html
The following users liked this post:
pman9003 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 AM

2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
sounds like you had the 1st year N54 HPFP issues on your '07 335i. I had a '07 sedan and I had it happen twice. those 1st year cars definitely had issues.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM

C63 AMG Coupe
I have owned a W204 C63 and now have the W205 C63S. The W204 was faultless in normal use in terms of driving. The only small issue I had was a squeaky sunroof. This was cured with lube, but I did then get a creaky dashboard in particular on warmer days when the aircon was on high. The one real problem was the gear box went into limp mode when I tried doing trackdays - after about 2 laps. It was a common problem on the 2012/2013 cars. I went through 3 sets of rears in 24,000 miles but the 3rd set still had life left when i sold.

My new one so far has been faultless. The car was great on track and I pushed it hard. There is a small occasional creak from the dash but it is a very stiff car so I kind of expect it. Otherwise it's awesome.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by dkhm3
sounds like you had the 1st year N54 HPFP issues on your '07 335i. I had a '07 sedan and I had it happen twice. those 1st year cars definitely had issues.
Actually that was one issue I never had. The pump was replaced under warranty before I noticed any problems. That was one thing that surprised me honestly.

I had issues with things that honestly should never break on a car with under 75K miles on it. Things like door lock actuators, power window regulators, power sunshade, windshield wash fluid tanks, and coolant tanks. If a Corolla can go 200K miles without those things breaking, there is no excuse for it on any other car.

Originally Posted by dtriggs
I have owned a W204 C63 and now have the W205 C63S. The W204 was faultless in normal use in terms of driving. The only small issue I had was a squeaky sunroof. This was cured with lube, but I did then get a creaky dashboard in particular on warmer days when the aircon was on high. The one real problem was the gear box went into limp mode when I tried doing trackdays - after about 2 laps. It was a common problem on the 2012/2013 cars. I went through 3 sets of rears in 24,000 miles but the 3rd set still had life left when i sold.

My new one so far has been faultless. The car was great on track and I pushed it hard. There is a small occasional creak from the dash but it is a very stiff car so I kind of expect it. Otherwise it's awesome.
How long did you own your W204?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 909 Likes on 639 Posts
E63S | X5
I've had 2 w204s spanning over 3 years. All I've done is oil changes and tires on them. Tunes and opening up the exhaust as well but they have been problem free for me.

I dabble in the w205 section from time to time hoping I see a 205 that strikes me as appealing and changes my opinion on the exterior, but for me it just isn't a fit. Yes, the 205 exceeds the 204 in many categories including performance, but the 204 is plenty for the street and really a classic look.

I'm similar to you as well, coming from a 135i and currently have an x5. The BMWs seem to have more problems but I haven't been left stranded, knock on wood.

You won't be disappointed moving over to MB in either a 204 or 205
The following users liked this post:
pman9003 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
All I've done is oil changes and tires on them. Tunes and opening up the exhaust as well but they have been problem free for me.

I dabble in the w205 section from time to time hoping I see a 205 that strikes me as appealing and changes my opinion on the exterior, but for me it just isn't a fit. Yes, the 205 exceeds the 204 in many categories including performance, but the 204 is plenty for the street and really a classic look.

You won't be disappointed moving over to MB in either a 204 or 205
Very well said, I feel the same. Pman9003, I would try and find a place that has a C63s to test drive, even if you have to drive a bit to get there...will be worth it to test drive it. The w204 and w205 are similar machines but they are also completely different on how they drive / feel. Best of luck though .
Old 04-19-2016, 06:34 PM

C63 AMG Coupe
I had my 204 for just over 3.5 years.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 PM

2017 C63S
Thanks for all the feedback guys

Quick question for you guys. Any idea what the lead time is on ordering a car now? Also when does production change over to 2017MY?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s
I am also new to MB. Took delivery of my first MB, a 2016 C63s 6 months ago.

I previously had two E46's, a 2007 E90 335 and a F30 335. All manuals.

Never had problems with the E90, but had engine problems with one of the E46s (needed to replace the ECU, but under warranty).

I originally wanted to move to a F80 due to the F30's softened suspension (compared to the E90) and lower grunt of the N55 vs. the N54 engine. Somehow I was lured into the C63 by its glorious torque and exhaust.

It has been a big mistake for me personally. There is no amount of straight line pull and sweet exhaust note that can compensate for the pure joy of rowing your own gears. The MCT (or any automatic) just takes away the fun out of driving. The MCT can never fully anticipate what gear you want to get into. The unpredictability of the MCT (or any automatic) drives me crazy (the paddles does not make it any better). Given that the OP has been driving a 6spd for a while, I thought I share before he invests in the car.

Besides that, the C63 has the usual rattles that others have mentioned on this forum. I find the fit and finish is not up to par with my previous BMWs (all made in Germany) but others feel the opposite (so it is subjective).

Last edited by F1racer; 04-20-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:23 PM

Infiniti QX56
Originally Posted by pman9003
Thanks for all the feedback guys

Quick question for you guys. Any idea what the lead time is on ordering a car now? Also when does production change over to 2017MY?
I just took delivery of my 2016 C63S. From order date to pickup it was 10 days short of 6 months. You should consider not getting the moon roof by the way.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:35 PM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by F1racer
I am also new to MB. Took delivery of my first MB, a 2016 C63s 6 months ago.

I previously had two E46's, a 2007 E90 335 and a F30 335. All manuals.

Never had problems with the E90, but had engine problems with one of the E46s (needed to replace the ECU, but under warranty).

I originally wanted to move to a F80 due to the F30's softened suspension (compared to the E90) and lower grunt of the N55 vs. the N54 engine. Somehow I was lured into the C63 by its glorious torque and exhaust.

It has been a big mistake for me personally. There is no amount of straight line pull and sweet exhaust note that can compensate for the pure joy of rowing your own gears. The MCT (or any automatic) just takes away the fun out of driving. The MCT can never fully anticipate what gear you want to get into. The unpredictability of the MCT (or any automatic) drives me crazy (the paddles does not make it any better). Given that the OP has been driving a 6spd for a while, I thought I share before he invests in the car.

Besides that, the C63 has the usual rattles that others have mentioned on this forum. I find the fit and finish is not up to par with my previous BMWs (all made in Germany) but others feel the opposite (so it is subjective).
After my experience with my 335, I am done with BMW, unless something changes about the way they build their cars.

I am sad to be giving up manual transmissions, but these days the choices are so limited I don't see a way around it. For me, the MCTs are okay, would prefer a manual, but given how responsive they are when you use the paddles I can live with it.

Originally Posted by PaulNC
I just took delivery of my 2016 C63S. From order date to pickup it was 10 days short of 6 months. You should consider not getting the moon roof by the way.
I didn't plan on getting one since I would hardly ever use it and it adds weight where you least want it, but is there a particular reason why you say that?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Infiniti QX56
After my experience with my 335, I am done with BMW, unless something changes about the way they build their cars.

I am sad to be giving up manual transmissions, but these days the choices are so limited I don't see a way around it. For me, the MCTs are okay, would prefer a manual, but given how responsive they are when you use the paddles I can live with it.

I didn't plan on getting one since I would hardly ever use it and it adds weight where you least want it, but is there a particular reason why you say that?
Well you get a couple more inches of headroom, lose a lot of weight at the top of the car, avoid heat coming through from above, avoid potential creaks/leaks, add some small amount of rigidity, and of course save yourself $$$....
Old 04-21-2016, 01:30 AM

2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
Originally Posted by F1racer

did you test drive the car before deciding?
Old 04-21-2016, 05:03 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by PaulNC
why is the moon roof that bad?

is 6 months the normal delivery time? seems excessive
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe, 2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by paramb
It adds weight to the top of the vehicle and decreases headroom. I personally like riding in the spring and fall with the roof open, so the extra weight of the pano roof is worth it for me. As for the headroom, I'm 6'2" and have about an inch of headroom.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by paramb

is 6 months the normal delivery time? seems excessive
I ordered late June and picked up car first of Sept.
It all depends if your dealer has a allocation they can give to you and when it builds. Once built in the US it is about 10 days to 2 weeks till delivery depending where you are located.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:02 AM

2016 C63s
Originally Posted by dkhm3
did you test drive the car before deciding?
No. There were no cars to demo at my dealer at the time (I am in Canada, limited allocations). I don't think it would have made much difference, I know how automatic car drives. I thought I could get used to it (besides, in 5-10 years, there will be no more manuals), my mistake.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 AM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by RDOCA
I ordered late June and picked up car first of Sept.
It all depends if your dealer has a allocation they can give to you and when it builds. Once built in the US it is about 10 days to 2 weeks till delivery depending where you are located.
Is there anywhere I can learn more about the allocation system for the C63?

I'm talking to a few dealers to see what kind of prices they can do, but none have mentioned anything about allocations. I would have to order the car I want. I'm okay with waiting, but 6 months is gonna be too long for me.

The dealers are all in the Atlanta area, so they are all do pretty well in terms of sales.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Is there anywhere I can learn more about the allocation system for the C63?

I'm talking to a few dealers to see what kind of prices they can do, but none have mentioned anything about allocations. I would have to order the car I want. I'm okay with waiting, but 6 months is gonna be too long for me.

The dealers are all in the Atlanta area, so they are all do pretty well in terms of sales.
You just have to ask if they have any allocations for the C63 and what the dates are. When I ordered in June my local dealer did not have any so I went to another and they had one open second decade of Aug. and was to me in SOCAL by the 5th of Sept.
If they have a date open and you order they can give you a print out of the order placed with MB and a number so you are sure you really have an order placed.
Some dealers just take order and then try to secure a allocation, but is then not sure of date to be built.
(Months are split into 3 decades for cars to be built.)
that is why many estimates slip as the dealer really did not have a date for you at the start.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM

2017 C63S
You just have to ask if they have any allocations for the C63 and what the dates are. When I ordered in June my local dealer did not have any so I went to another and they had one open second decade of Aug. and was to me in SOCAL by the 5th of Sept.
If they have a date open and you order they can give you a print out of the order placed with MB and a number so you are sure you really have an order placed.
Some dealers just take order and then try to secure a allocation, but is then not sure of date to be built.
that is why many estimates slip as the dealer really did not have a date for you at the start.
Okay thanks for the info.

So dealers that are offering better price may not necessarily have an allocation. One dealer has an allocation and date, but they are basically charging MSRP for the car.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
No desire to take dealer in-stock inventory? I'm sure if you buy off the lot, you'd get significant discounts.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:00 AM

Infiniti QX56
Appreciate the info RDOCA. I know for next time, for sure!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by vaelin
No desire to take dealer in-stock inventory? I'm sure if you buy off the lot, you'd get significant discounts.
Not at the moment, they don't have anything that is even close to what I want in terms of colors and options. If they had something close and at a good price I would buy, but that is not the case.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
I sat in a new C the other day at the dealer....(AMG) and I was surprised! It was really cool......and felt rock solid to the touch.....not cheap and plastic-ish as I thought

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering a C63 S