C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes C63 Coupe - The Iridium Silver Thread (PICS/VIDEOS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by DragonRR
Well... this hasn't gone well. Went to pick up the car yesterday. Got in, new seat installed. All my settings had gone ... which was no surprise really... tried to adjust the steering wheel and it wouldn't move down or up. Waited an hour or so for it to be fixed but it wasn't so I'm now in a loan car.
Oh, FFS.

Did you at least drive it to see if the rattle was gone???
Old 01-28-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Oh, FFS.

Did you at least drive it to see if the rattle was gone???
Nope, I was sat outside, trying to get things back to the right places. I assumed that it would be a quick fix, a connector seated badly.. that kind of thing but apparently it isn't.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63S,2016 C63 S Edition 1 Coupe(gone), 2011 640D M Sports Coupe, 2015 435i M Sports Coupe
Nope, I was sat outside, trying to get things back to the right places. I assumed that it would be a quick fix, a connector seated badly.. that kind of thing but apparently it isn't.
Mate not having much luck
Old 01-29-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Wow not having any luck Dragon, that's alway my fear.
Once they start fiddling with the car, things can quickly go from bad to worse.

I hope it all works out soon enough for you.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Yeah, I would have thought the same...
Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Picked the car up today with not a little trepidation!

I was told that the problem with the steering wheel operation (and the seat lift mechanism control too as it happened) was caused by the height of the seat and the steering column being initialized at the wrong height so the car coded the wrong base setting.

Obviously I drove off just waiting for the damned noise to start... but it didn't! This hasn't happened before. Normally the noise always occurs, sometimes loudly, sometimes very quietly but not today.

Many fingers are still crossed but I'm hopeful!

Just as an FYI - I was given a fairly new (7k miles) E350 as a loan over the weekend. The UI is a lot friendlier than the C class and the displays are clear, really high resolution and more integrated. However! The driver's seat creaked like mad, there was a rattle from the roof and the passenger area. The dashboard cracked from time to time and creaked when cold... not impressed with the interior build quality!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s

I was told that the problem with the steering wheel operation (and the seat lift mechanism control too as it happened) was caused by the height of the seat and the steering column being initialized at the wrong height so the car coded the wrong base setting.

Obviously I drove off just waiting for the damned noise to start... but it didn't! This hasn't happened before. Normally the noise always occurs, sometimes loudly, sometimes very quietly but not today.

Just as an FYI - I was given a fairly new (7k miles) E350 as a loan over the weekend. The UI is a lot friendlier than the C class and the displays are clear, really high resolution and more integrated. However! The driver's seat creaked like mad, there was a rattle from the roof and the passenger area. The dashboard cracked from time to time and creaked when cold... not impressed with the interior build quality!
fingers crossed indeed, it's been a long and painful fix my friend.

I have yet to drive the new E class but from what I've seen the tech is ridiculously advanced.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sanch
fingers crossed indeed, it's been a long and painful fix my friend.

I have yet to drive the new E class but from what I've seen the tech is ridiculously advanced.
Thanks Sanch,

The screens are nice, the UI is considerably better but still a little bit fiddly. Unlike the C class you CAN initiate a call from the wheel phone buttons! There are two little pads on the steering wheel which are basically touch pads that can be pushed down to confirm/OK an action. The left one adjusts the left screen and the right the console screen. A nice addition but nothing amazing and are really nothing more than a flat mini joystick.

I was a lot more impressed with the new Panamera interior which is just fantastic imo..
Old 01-30-2017, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Thanks Sanch,

The screens are nice, the UI is considerably better but still a little bit fiddly. Unlike the C class you CAN initiate a call from the wheel phone buttons! There are two little pads on the steering wheel which are basically touch pads that can be pushed down to confirm/OK an action. The left one adjusts the left screen and the right the console screen. A nice addition but nothing amazing and are really nothing more than a flat mini joystick.

I was a lot more impressed with the new Panamera interior which is just fantastic imo..
Oh yes, I agree the new Panamera is unreal!

They should be rolling out the same in the 911 (eventually).

That might be my next car, I love your Turbo S - i'll take that in black thanks lol
The following users liked this post:
DragonRR (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Smile

My goodness if anyone deserves a long stretch of good luck it's you Dragon. I hope you finally get to enjoy your beautiful new car now.
I've been watching with keen interest - it was your original pictures that inspired my own colour/design choices. I have the exact same car coming sometime early April and I can't wait. (Original choice was white but that silver with black trim just looked perfect).

Best of luck and drive in good health! and please don't hesitate to post any new pictures to hold me over until then - it is the iridium silver thread after all
DragonRR (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 AM

A pic for Vagabondo!

Mercedes C63 Coupe - The Iridium Silver Thread (PICS/VIDEOS)-img_5681_zpst41zrfsa.jpg

I havent decided whether to vinyl warp the roof section... the second pic is a quick photoshop job!:

Mercedes C63 Coupe - The Iridium Silver Thread (PICS/VIDEOS)-img_5633a_zpsfdjueojp.jpg
Mercedes C63 Coupe - The Iridium Silver Thread (PICS/VIDEOS)-img_5633a_zpshhofoba1.jpg

I love the 911 Sanch. Incredible car, feels like it is glued to the road in almost all weather conditions. They look awesome in black and I did go and see one but it just had to be the blue

@Vagabondo. It is been annoying but there are far worse things in the world. I saw a Selenite Grey Edition 1 yesterday at the dealers. It looked amazing but I wouldn't have swapped. I really like the stripes but they are almost invisible on the grey car and in fact my son didn't realise it was an Edition 1 at all. The white black combo always works and I got quite close to going with Diamond white. In the end I'm more than happy with silver/black.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
A pic for Vagabondo!

I havent decided whether to vinyl warp the roof section... the second pic is a quick photoshop job!:

I love the 911 Sanch. Incredible car, feels like it is glued to the road in almost all weather conditions. They look awesome in black and I did go and see one but it just had to be the blue

@Vagabondo. It is been annoying but there are far worse things in the world. I saw a Selenite Grey Edition 1 yesterday at the dealers. It looked amazing but I wouldn't have swapped. I really like the stripes but they are almost invisible on the grey car and in fact my son didn't realise it was an Edition 1 at all. The white black combo always works and I got quite close to going with Diamond white. In the end I'm more than happy with silver/black.
Keep the strip on the roof, it's unique to your car. If it wasn't an ED1 I would've said otherwise.
DragonRR (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 Audi SQ5, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Originally Posted by Sanch
Keep the strip on the roof, it's unique to your car. If it wasn't an ED1 I would've said otherwise.
I agree.
DragonRR (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
A pic for Vagabondo!

Thanks for the pictures Dragon!
You can't go wrong either way re the wrap. Personally I'm leaving it as is.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm currently leaving it alone. I might look at it again in the future.

Yesterday I made the mistake of cleaning my car myself. It is such a joy finding new "features". A stone has already penetrated the film on the bonnet (hood) and scratched the paint beneath. Nothing serious but annoying it got through. Another stone, must have been fairly large, has hit the upper part of the lower blade of the Mercedes grill long badge thingy and scratched it in a couple of places. Can't be seen from a distance... but I know it's bloody there now! Grrrr..

I may go on a one man crusade to clean up every stone from roads in a 30 mile radius, that should do it.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s

Yesterday I made the mistake of cleaning my car myself. It is such a joy finding new "features". A stone has already penetrated the film on the bonnet (hood) and scratched the paint beneath. Nothing serious but annoying it got through. Another stone, must have been fairly large, has hit the upper part of the lower blade of the Mercedes grill long badge thingy and scratched it in a couple of places. Can't be seen from a distance... but I know it's bloody there now! Grrrr..

I may go on a one man crusade to clean up every stone from roads in a 30 mile radius, that should do it.
I hear ya.... How about Dr. Colorchip repair kit???
DragonRR (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM

Once my OCD has packed in, I'll get over it because you can't really see either from any reasonable distance. The bonnet chip is made worse by the film itself because it has a hole in it. My 911 has a couple of places where stones have got through the film too. You can't keep cars in as new condition unless you don't drive them at all ... unfortunately!

Thanks for your suggestion though mate!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Dragon, What film did you use? Thanks. Unfortunately nothing is foolproof. Here in SoCal, I am always encountering gravel trucks on my morning commute.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s

I have quite a bit of damage on my PPF now. I don't think anything has gone through the film so far... only a matter of time though. Unfortunately, one of those things that is out of our hands.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by sandjunkie
Dragon, What film did you use? Thanks. Unfortunately nothing is foolproof. Here in SoCal, I am always encountering gravel trucks on my morning commute.
It's Xpel ultimate, my Porsche has Suntek. They both seem to have a very similar performance and look or appear to at least.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM

It's Xpel ultimate, my Porsche has Suntek. They both seem to have a very similar performance and look or appear to at least.
Thanks so much. My wife's Audi has suntek and I was going to put xpel ultimate when I take delivery in March.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Vic55
I like the multi's personally because they look bigger on the car as their silver rim liner is smaller. I always felt, visually, that the thick spokes looked smaller because the size of the silver lip.
I think the fat hips and fat lips would look great on this car. Plus spacers & lowered I think it would help. Also, they are a lot easier to clean.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Unfortunately, as I've mentioned in another thread the replacement seat only temporarily solved the creaking/cracking noise problem. I have basically the same types of noises coming from roughly the same place as before. They don't happen as much on straight roads but actually happen even more when cornering and braking.

I'm now talking to my dealer about rejecting the car because I feel like I'm right back at square one with potentially several months of repair visits and temporary fixes. I have little doubt that with enough workshop time the problem can be completely fixed but not under my ownership.

It is a shame because I think the C63s coupe is a fantastic car in every other area, I will be very sad to see it go and have zero idea what to replace it with.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Unfortunately, as I've mentioned in another thread the replacement seat only temporarily solved the creaking/cracking noise problem. I have basically the same types of noises coming from roughly the same place as before. They don't happen as much on straight roads but actually happen even more when cornering and braking.

I'm now talking to my dealer about rejecting the car because I feel like I'm right back at square one with potentially several months of repair visits and temporary fixes. I have little doubt that with enough workshop time the problem can be completely fixed but not under my ownership.

It is a shame because I think the C63s coupe is a fantastic car in every other area, I will be very sad to see it go and have zero idea what to replace it with.
Have them priority build you another??
Old 02-27-2017, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by auditoamg
Have them priority build you another??
Whether that can actually be done I'm not sure but I've been thinking about ordering another or even putting a deposit down on the E63 Coupe. However, given the many comments about rattles here and my own experiences of rattles in other Mercedes - S class coupes and a recent loan E class I'm thinking I might wait until Mercedes have fixed these problems. I currently have a loan Porsche Cayman whilst my 911 is being serviced. No rattles, creaks or anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes C63 Coupe - The Iridium Silver Thread (PICS/VIDEOS)