C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo review: Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe review - first drive of AMG's new BMW M4 beater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Evo review: Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe review - first drive of AMG's new BMW M4 beater

Evo review: Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe review - first UK drive of AMG's new BMW M4 beater - http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/c63-am...mgs-new-bmw-m4
Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Nice review as has been every single review I've read or seen thus far on the new C205 C63S Coupe

However I'm still waiting and checking every week to see when reviews are going to start coming out of a proper C63S Coupe vs M4 Comparison
The following users liked this post:
g8rgrl (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by AV1
Nice review as has been every single review I've read or seen thus far on the new C205 C63S Coupe

However I'm still waiting and checking every week to see when reviews are going to start coming out of a proper C63S Coupe vs M4 Comparison
+1

However, we know how that comparison will really go
Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Yep, the reviewer's closing statement

...... I have not driven the M4 Competition Pack, which may turn the tables......
Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Sanch
+1

However, we know how that comparison will really go
Yes it will get interesting and no doubt heated up, over at Phillip Island not that long ago there were several Aussie head to head comparos done with the M4 and my MB insider tells me in his words "it convincingly smashed the M4 in most regards"

Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Yep, the reviewer's closing statement

...... I have not driven the M4 Competition Pack, which may turn the tables......
That may or may not be the case but one things for certain whatever BMW do to raise the bar from here on AMG will better it with their next release, I'm sure the mid life updated C63's will be far more potent than the current iteration

Thanks for this vid already seen it and boy that M4 sounds like crap...but still waiting for all the proper comparisons and reviews to surface
Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Very pleased that EVO have said the comfort ride is fine (if even a little too soft) for UK roads. They must have made some serious changes over the saloon.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Originally Posted by DragonRR
Very pleased that EVO have said the comfort ride is fine (if even a little too soft) for UK roads. They must have made some serious changes over the saloon.
I can attest to the reviewers verdict. Ride comfort of the coupe I drove was very satisfying (even in sport+ I wouldn't complain), much better than the M4 in my opinion, although there was a fair amount of road noise from the tyres but nothing overwhelming.

And I am really looking forward to a proper on road/track comparison between this and the M4
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
The M4 is a great car but according to most accounts, whilst the handling has been improved on the competition pack car the ride is also firmer. From your desciption it sounds like Mercedes have really sorted the coupe.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
It makes sense that the Coupe would ride better than the sedan because of its unique rear suspension.

That unique rear suspension on the C63 Coupe will also be used on the upcoming AMG E63's -- so it definitely seems to be engineered and built to handle more weight and power than that of the rear suspension setup in the C63 Sedan.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Does the C43 share the C63 Coupes suspension (I believe in the C450 is shared a lot of the same suspension parts with the C63 Sedan)?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Does the C43 share the C63 Coupes suspension (I believe in the C450 is shared a lot of the same suspension parts with the C63 Sedan)?
I believe it shares the front suspension components with the C63, but the rear suspension is still exclusive to the the C63 Coupe.

From press release:

- 3.0-liter V6 Biturbo engine with modified engine control unit for increased boost and high-revving
- 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission with double-declutching function when shifting down and exhilaratingly short response times in "Sport Plus" mode
- AMG Performance 4MATIC all-wheel drive with rear-biased torque distribution of 31 to 69 percent (front axle to rear axle)
- AMG RIDE CONTROL sport suspension with adaptive variable damping in three stages; mode can be selected via button, adopted from Mercedes-AMG C63
- AMG DYNAMIC SELECT switch for dynamic, individually-selectable driving experience with five drive modes and AMG-specific tuning
- Three-stage Electronic Stability Program ESP®
- Front axle with newly developed steering knuckles and load-bearing joints on the spring link. Elastokinematic adjustments to the links have been adopted from the Mercedes-AMG C63
- Rear axle with elastokinematics tailored to higher driving dynamics

- Large braking system with internally ventilated compound brake discs, perforated at the front with a diameter of 14.2", and with a diameter of 12.6" at the rear
- AMG styling with distinctive front and rear apron as well as special tailpipes
- Diamond radiator grill with chrome-plated pins and louvers in high-gloss black
- 18" AMG light-alloy wheels in 5-spoke design, painted high-gloss black with a high-sheen finish
- AMG instrument cluster with checkered flag design with 180 mph scale and AMG main menu
- Multifunction sports steering wheel in leather with deep embossing in grip area, flattened bottom section and red contrasting topstitching
- Upholstery in MB-Tex / DINAMICA microfiber in black with sport seat upholstery layout and red topstitching

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 06-14-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I believe it shares the front suspension components with the C63, but the rear suspension is still exclusive to the the C63 Coupe.

From press release:

- 3.0-liter V6 Biturbo engine with modified engine control unit for increased boost and high-revving
- 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission with double-declutching function when shifting down and exhilaratingly short response times in "Sport Plus" mode
- AMG Performance 4MATIC all-wheel drive with rear-biased torque distribution of 31 to 69 percent (front axle to rear axle)
- AMG RIDE CONTROL sport suspension with adaptive variable damping in three stages; mode can be selected via button, adopted from Mercedes-AMG C63
- AMG DYNAMIC SELECT switch for dynamic, individually-selectable driving experience with five drive modes and AMG-specific tuning
- Three-stage Electronic Stability Program ESP®
- Front axle with newly developed steering knuckles and load-bearing joints on the spring link. Elastokinematic adjustments to the links have been adopted from the Mercedes-AMG C63
- Rear axle with elastokinematics tailored to higher driving dynamics

- Large braking system with internally ventilated compound brake discs, perforated at the front with a diameter of 14.2", and with a diameter of 12.6" at the rear
- AMG styling with distinctive front and rear apron as well as special tailpipes
- Diamond radiator grill with chrome-plated pins and louvers in high-gloss black
- 18" AMG light-alloy wheels in 5-spoke design, painted high-gloss black with a high-sheen finish
- AMG instrument cluster with checkered flag design with 180 mph scale and AMG main menu
- Multifunction sports steering wheel in leather with deep embossing in grip area, flattened bottom section and red contrasting topstitching
- Upholstery in MB-Tex / DINAMICA microfiber in black with sport seat upholstery layout and red topstitching
Ah, damn. Thanks for the info. Hoping the ride quality in the C43 Coupe is still superior to the C450 Sedan, but I guess that it still yet TBD.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
16 C63S
One of the comments at the end of the EVO article mention AMG transmission overheating issues in a Russian review...news to me...

Originally Posted by g8rgrl
Evo review: Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe review - first UK drive of AMG's new BMW M4 beater - http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/c63-am...mgs-new-bmw-m4