C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2016 C63S Sedan and new to Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2016 | 12:47 AM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
New 2016 C63S Sedan and new to Mercedes

I am new to this forum. Just picked up my first mercedes, a new 2016 AMG C63S, last Friday. After 20yrs of continuous unbroken BMW 3 Series ownership of all the last models, I was wanting to get back into an M3 or go M4 to replace my tuned BMW 335i Coupe. I test drove and cross shopped Tesla, the BMW twins and the C63S Sedan. I went back and forth a lot on what car to get. I tested C300, C450, and settled on the C450 but then thought I'd wait to see how the C43 felt with the 9-speed. Somehow BMW had lost its appeal to me.

I go to the local dealer to look again at the gorgeous C class, see the Sedan C63S and it was sort of a wow there. I reluctantly accepted a test drive knowing I was not going to buy one anyway.

I was sort of biased towards the M4 which I had tested but was not completely bowled over by. Main issue was drivability in town in traffic. It felt a bit too raw IMHO. I took out the C63S for the heck of it and came back struggling to hide my grin from the sales guy. He asks what I thought, and I half heartly told him lets look at some configurations and numbers. Honestly I was sold and my brain just needed to first accept a mercedes was actually better than the standard bearer BMW, and second that I was giving up BMW and going over to the dark side. Third I had to justify to myself the logic of buying a luxury sedan when I already have a range rover. Once mind was made up though, my only question to myself was what took you so damn long! This car is a dream.

I like almost everything about it except stupid column shifter and too much me too going in with the other C class. On the interior the car is so superior to BMW its not even a contest. And the car fits my style so I look forward to being among you for years to come.

No pictures yet car is at dealer for some wheel repair. I picked up on Friday and saturday let a friend drive it and he ended up putting a nasty gash on the rear wheel. Car had barely 50 miles on. I consider that hazing.

Last edited by VaserC63S; 07-14-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2016 | 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Welcome and congrats - I thought the same about the shifter at first but now if I had the choice I would choose the column position.
Old 07-14-2016 | 09:50 AM

2016 C63S
Welcome Vaser! sounds very similar to my purchase. I went in to look at a 450 and left with a C63s.
You will get used to the shifter quickly, as RDOCA after the adjustment period its actually VERY nice there. Although i do find myself turning on wipers in other cars when trying to put the car in drive haha.
once again welcome to the forums!
Old 07-14-2016 | 10:16 AM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Thanks guys.
On the gearshift, its going to be a while before I get used to the odd location. I find myself operating the wipers every single time I get in my Range Rover.

A few things to note, does any of you feel like you are lagging the engine around in comfort mode? Its seems to be in one gear too high most of the time and when I get on the pedal its slow to get going so I have resulted to operating the paddles to drop a gear and go. I set up individual with the engine in sport mode, ESP on, and suspension in comfort. The issue is when going around in parking garages and sometimes on the streets I feel its in a sub optimal state and would prefer comfort mode as the gear is a bit too low. Still learning the car so I can drive it more smoothly. I will post my pick up experience it might help someone. I see the car shutting down referenced a lot here so I will post what happened with mine.
Old 07-14-2016 | 12:37 PM

The day I initially picked up the car was interesting: All excite about rolling in a new C63S. So they pull the car out of the prep bay and bring out front. They hand me two keys and one of the keys was another new C63S not mine as I was to find out later. But anyway I got in the car and drove off, but I didn't make it to the street and car stalls. I tried to restart after a short wait and it wouldnt turn over. Another attempt and it starts and I try to reverse and am blocking traffic and car dies. I was thinking I did something wrong as I was unfamiliar with the MCT.

I walk back to the showroom inform them car is not drivable. A puzzed porter comes out to help. Car is stubbornly stalled across the street and wont move. We try to push it out of the way but wow this car is heavy as a solid brick. So he calls for help and someone comes with a jumper and gauge of some sort. It turns out the battery was dead and was not charging so any attempt to charge was taking forever. After 20 minutes it finally fires up but was shaking a lot and stalling every two seconds after it fired up. So they send someone to get a tech. The tech managed to get it started and drove it to the service bay. They hook it up and tell me it needs a new battery.

Battery was replaced all was good. I pick up drive home but as am turning into the garage it stalls and wont start for 10 minutes! Then it fires up and I decide to return it to the dealer. I never made it. I only got as far as their used car shop and the car dies on me. Suddenly the dash lights up like a christmas tree. Car has no acceleration and running in limp. So I limp back to the new car showroom and into service.

They pull in the car hook it up to the computer and tell me well, you will have to wait till next week or we can give you another car because there is an electronic issue of some sort. Probably just software.
codes pulled: P023409 Boost pressure too high turbo charger 1.
component fault P22797A
Leak detected in intake air system;
P01C112 Railpressure sensor 2 has short circuit to positive.
P0343800 Position sensor intake camshaft (bank 2)has a short circuit to positive;

they opened the engine found common ground had high out of spec resistance. Issues was traced to a loose pin 29 at the ME connector. (defect probably at assembly at the factory) the lock not locking into housing. Repinned pin 29, replaced turbo 2 vacuum line hose. Cause of the issue was incorrect boost pressure reading.

Correction: pin 29 bushing (MB013-545-44-26) also replaced.
New vacuum line Turbo 2. (MB177-142-06-00)
EL cable (MB001-540-87-05).

Took a total of 3 days to diagnize the problem due to a lot of false flags and codes as they are on the same bus.

Dealership has been very pleasant and upfront through the process. They offered to give me a different C63S but there was nothing with exact combo and color so I opted to wait for it to be resolved or not, then make up my mind. Once it was done I expressed my worry incase it turns to be dealer queen. Tech assured me this was a case of ooops! and atleast we know its taken care of. I choose to take the same car home rather than wait for something else.

So far very happy with my first service expirience. Love the car!!
Old 07-14-2016 | 01:18 PM

Hey Vase, good to see you over here too

Sorry to hear about the issues ... these cars do seem to have some gremlins ... it's making me pause a bit as to getting one ... hope it all gets worked out!
Old 07-14-2016 | 01:33 PM

Hey Gruss. Thanks for the input over at E90post. The crowd is a bit drunk on too much coolaide. New model cars sometimes but damn it if we can avoid this. I went through a lot worse with the BMW 335 and fuel pumps and blown turbos' and waste gates. This is like a ruble strip not even a real road bump. I had the 2014 Range Rover Sport and Land Rover had to buy it back after endless suspension and electrical issues. The replacement 2015 one quality-wise, fit and finish is so solid and right its as if is its not even from the same assembly line.

You might want to wait a little but they have warranty and life is short why miss out right? Its not like they are all falling apart, its small build quality issues that always get fixed. Look at the M3/M4s, they seem to have more issues than the benz.

Now for those guys over at BMW bashing this car, I feel for them. I have had all the last 3 series models of the last 20yrs. Trust me BMW been served this time around. Couple test drives ebdless debating and I couldn't go back for one more. I even got some nice deals but in the end my heart just wasnt in it anymore. One test drive in this things and I was completely sold. I am no unicorn. I brought two of my BMW buddies over to dealership when I was going to finally pick it up. I'll be damned they both don't want one too in the near future. Ofcousre there is a crowd that will prefer this over the BMW and vice versa. Its just that BMW guys get a bit religious about this.

Imagine if I had posted my initial pickup story on E90post! Youd think sky is falling.
Old 07-14-2016 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by VaserC63S
Imagine if I had posted my initial pickup story on E90post! Youd think sky is falling.
Yeah, some of the BMW people ... you'd think we were making a final judgement on their life's value ... it's just a car people!

I'm thinking what I'll do is wait for the verts, although I love the coupe look. They don't look as nice as the BMWs to my eye but the V8 is and if everything else is as all say, then I'll go for it.

I agree - I think BMW got flanked on this one. If I was Benz I'd put the pedal down because they can pull a lot of converts here.
Old 07-14-2016 | 08:31 PM

19 E63s
welcome to the forums. Wow that sounds like a terrible delivery experience. I've never had a new car before but I imagine it wasn't supposed to be like this ha. I get my coupe in November 1-10 delivery so hope it's a bit more smooth! Side question, how you like that range rover? Thinking about getting a sport in a year or two. I think Range Rover sport plus C63s coupe offers everything you could ask for for a daily / nights and weekend combo.
Old 07-15-2016 | 07:32 PM

In all honesty I love the range rover. But talk of bad delivery experience! I had 2014 supercharged and was worst experience worse than any junk I ever had even used! It was a total lemon. LR bought it back gave me a decent deal to not lemon it and take the Autobiography after the F'd up my SVR order that was supposed to replace the supercharged. Anyway the Autobiography I have is beyond terrific. I love it as much as am loving the C63S but in a different way. Well these machines are incredibly complex and some of this is bound to happen.

As for the delivery, Mercedes of Arlington has been fantastic and I have zero complaints. I mean what can anyone do? They offered me options but I chose to stick to my car as nothing else was available on the ground in exact combo and price. I just had to wait a week to get it fixed right. I pick up the car last Friday and Saturday my buddy curbs it. Again dealer stepped up and fixed it free!

So far so good. Happy camper here. One question is I have lighting package but while the lights operate as expected, the high beam assist doesn't seem to be working. They have not come on once when I expect them to. Anyone knows how to get that to work or is the merc very conservative as to when to turn them on?

This guy exactly discribes what I feel about the C63S vs M3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJY...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by VaserC63S; 07-16-2016 at 02:40 AM.