Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOSTANE Octane Boost_Tried and Tested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
BOOSTANE Octane Boost_Tried and Tested

We tried the Boostane Octane Booster and have had some really incredible results. Since we are in California and suffer from horrible 91 Octane fuel, we were searching for a decent solution. Unlike most Octane boosters, the Boostane app (available on IOS and Android) helps you determine how much octane booster you need to add to your gas. Download the app for free on your smartphone to try it out.

I would recommend buying a case of octane booster and leaving it in the box in your trunk and add it to your fuel every time you fill up.

We have tested this on the dyno and it makes great power with California fuel.

We sell this by the can and the case. If you are coming to use our dyno I suggest that we throw a can in after all your power runs to see what kind of horsepower and torque you are leaving on the table by not using this stuff. Everyone that has tried it on the dyno has bought a case when they left.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

If you want to purchase some and try it for yourself please feel free to stop by our shop in SoCal.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
How does this compare to mixing in a few gallons of E85 to boost octane?

$30/quart (per fill) seems awfully expensive when you can get a gallon of E85 for a few bucks.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
How does this compare to mixing in a few gallons of E85 to boost octane?

$30/quart (per fill) seems awfully expensive when you can get a gallon of E85 for a few bucks.
You do not need to use a whole quart per fill. If you download the Boostane app you will see it offers a digital guide to give you a recommended amount to add in order to achieve the octane rating that you desire.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
You do not need to use a whole quart per fill. If you download the Boostane app you will see it offers a digital guide to give you a recommended amount to add in order to achieve the octane rating that you desire.
Assuming you want at least 100 octane out of an 18 gallon tank, it requires .9 quarts according to the calculator...

BOOSTANE Octane Boost_Tried and Tested-vlmedxg.png

I understand you can use less with half a tank, but the ratio doesn't change. I also don't see how this has any benefits to using an E85 mix which has a much higher octane rating at a fraction of the cost.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Assuming you want at least 100 octane out of an 18 gallon tank, it requires .9 quarts according to the calculator...

I understand you can use less with half a tank, but the ratio doesn't change. I also don't see how this has any benefits to using an E85 mix which has a much higher octane rating at a fraction of the cost.
100 octane isn't the only reason to do it. Most of us califonians just want to be able to reach the 93 octane mark like most the rest of the county gets. I mixed half 100 and half 91 and had zero timing retard so all I need is a 3-4 bump in octane and I'm good.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None

E85 typically has an octane rating around 105. To get your tank to 100 octane, you'd need about a 50/50 mix of traditional gasoline and E85.
This could be dangerous for many vehicles as fuel lines may not be able to tolerate high levels of ethanol. Most vehicles are warranted for a maximu of 10% ethanol, and that's coming from the pumps in many jurisdictions.
I would strongly recommend against this in anything other than a vehicle specifically designed to handle Hugh ethanol concentrations.

Having said that, I also think octane boosters are a waste of money for 90% of us.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
I've had great luck with 20% additional e85 in my Audi S4 for years now. For each 10 gallons, I add 2 e85. Simple and safe. Plan to do the with my Coupe.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 PM

None
NOT SAFE!
There is a big push in the industry now for an E15 (15% ethanol) fuel standard. Less than 20% of vehicles on the road are built to handle this (though about 75% of MY16 cars are) - and virtually no car produced before 2012 can handle. Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Volvo NS Subaru have explicitly stated that their cars are not compatible with E15.

The benefits (which are virtually non-existent for a stock car) certainly do not outweigh the costs, including risk to the car.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43
I'm in England and awaiting delivery of my first MB (C43 Coupe).

We get 95 octane as standard. All filling stations sell 97or 98 as an upgrade and a couple even sell 99.

My question is what should I put in my AMG? Obviously there is an increased cost (and our fuel cost more than US/Canada anyway).

I'm guessing the 97/98.

Seems nuts that there are C63s' + all of the super cars cruising around LA on sub standard juice!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by looney100
NOT SAFE!
There is a big push in the industry now for an E15 (15% ethanol) fuel standard. Less than 20% of vehicles on the road are built to handle this (though about 75% of MY16 cars are) - and virtually no car produced before 2012 can handle. Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Volvo NS Subaru have explicitly stated that their cars are not compatible with E15.

The benefits (which are virtually non-existent for a stock car) certainly do not outweigh the costs, including risk to the car.
Are you saying then that an octane booster is safer? They typically leave behind a pink residue in the fuel tank and on the injectors, over time, which can be detected by the dealer and therefore void most warranties, whereas ethanol, in small quantities cannot, just to bring crappy 91 to 93....
Old 08-18-2016, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Wardy83

We get 95 octane as standard. All filling stations sell 97or 98 as an upgrade and a couple even sell 99.

My question is what should I put in my AMG? Obviously there is an increased cost (and our fuel cost more than US/Canada anyway).

I'm guessing the 97/98.

Seems nuts that there are C63s' + all of the super cars cruising around LA on sub standard juice!
Actually the US and Europe calculate octane differently. The US uses RON, Europe uses MON or AKI and Asia uses AKI. Studies have shown that US 91 RON gasoline has more octane than 97 AKI/MON fuels in Europe. Google it
Old 08-18-2016, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s

I'm guessing the 97/98.

See the post just below your original post versus methods of calculating octane... US / Europe are different. Always use the maximum Octane your car is tuned for... As I don't have possession of my Coupe yet, I cannot see the range, but using a lower grade than recommended can cause timing retard and ultimately engine damage... Using a grade higher than your car is tuned for is a waste of money.

And, before I start getting flamed, when I say lower grade than recommended, I don't mean just what's on the fuel door, there is a range that the manufacturer allows in tuning the vehicle because fuel production is never a perfect science, as well as water vapor and other impurities can effect the octane rating. Therefore, the range of tuning.

For example: Most high performance cars in the USA have a minimum of 91 but are rated for 93. All specs, i.e., horsepower, torque, etc., are done using 93 and you can ABSOLUTELY feel the difference, which is why I contributed and was interested in this thread.

On my S4, I immediately noticed a difference over the CRAPTASTIC California 91 when I added 2 gallons of e85 to the mix, boosting the Octane to just over 93. There is ZERO point to going OVER the tuned range of your vehicle, it's a waste of money. BTW - It was an ABSOLUTELY NOTICEABLE increase over the entire range.... It was like I bought a tune.... and then, I did just that because it was addicting.

You will notice, a bonus when you increase your Octane to the max range: Increase in mileage, as well as the horsepower/torque. The EPA is just stupid in states where they force the 91 thinking they are saving the environment, it's actually the opposite. They are causing more spent fuel and oil, because there is a 2-5% mileage penalty on those vehicles that require the higher octane fuels, and the ultimate benefactors are the Oil Companies who actually make more money by diluting the additional Octane over the other fuels.... but I digress.

So back to the topic at hand: Does this Octane Booster leave the typical pink residue detectable by the dealer, if you are saying e85 isn't safe at a 22% total content level in the tank of these cars, to increase the Octane to 93?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43
Originally Posted by jrcart
Actually the US and Europe calculate octane differently. The US uses RON, Europe uses MON or AKI and Asia uses AKI. Studies have shown that US 91 RON gasoline has more octane than 97 AKI/MON fuels in Europe. Google it

Thanks. That's interesting, I wasn't having a pop at the US...

Our pumps all clearly state RON (not MON or AKI) at the point of sale so but I now appreciate calculation methods differ? I will go away and have a read up.

Cheers
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Thanks. That's interesting, I wasn't having a pop at the US...

Our pumps all clearly state RON (not MON or AKI) at the point of sale so but I now appreciate calculation methods differ? I will go away and have a read up.

Cheers
I don't think anyone thought you were "popping off" at the US on that...

It's all good... Of course, I didn't write the response in question, but I certainly didn't read your post negatively at all.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:47 PM

None
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Are you saying then that an octane booster is safer? They typically leave behind a pink residue in the fuel tank and on the injectors, over time, which can be detected by the dealer and therefore void most warranties, whereas ethanol, in small quantities cannot, just to bring crappy 91 to 93....
I am not saying octane boosters are any safer. I'm not a fan of them either. Too many drivers suffer from "bigger is better" syndrome when it comes to octane. "If 91 is good, then 94 must be better." Which is simply not true, unless your car is tuned to take advantage of a higher octane fuel, it will do little for you other than drain your wallet faster.
Risking the integrity of your fuel system by using high-ethanol fuel which won't improve your performance, but will reduce your fuel economy doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
All octane boosters are total gimmicks. This one is no different.

The only real octane booster is Toluene, and you need GALLONS of it to make a substantial difference. It's 114 octane and can be bought at any local Sherman Williams for $15 per Gallon.

Everything else is a complete waste of money and is snake oil by comparison
The following users liked this post:
Mr. J (08-20-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
So, has anyone been using this stuff long term or tried an e85 mix?