Considering C63 s ... also looking at CTS-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Considering C63 s ... also looking at CTS-V

First time here.

After a TON of research, driving, videos, considering, etc. I found a dealer with the C63 s, drove it and said to myself, "this is the one." Next step will be finding one in the config I like.

Then my wife and I went to GMC looking at SUVs for her and likely going with the Denali XL...but that's another topic.

Then started thinking about the CTS-V. Little bit more $$, but you get 640HP!

Biggest thing is I need to be able to transport my wife and 3 kiddos, but I still want something that'll give luxury and super fast, which led me to the C63...

With that said, any thoughts on the CTS-V vs. the C63 s? Cost is pretty close as I would get the MB optioned out.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,436 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
That magnetic suspension is sweet. Would give the cts a hard look and drive and ask why not caddy before you get the c63... The cts stands out more on the road ... All new benz's look the god damn same sadly

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-25-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
That magnetic suspension is sweet. Would give the cts a hard look and drive and ask why not caddy before you get the c63... The cts stands out more on the road ... All new benz's look the god damn same sadly
Yes, mag ride is incredible! I was considering the Chevy SS at one point and took that on a pretty good test drive and it was beautiful. Then raised the budget (okay nearly doubled ) and looked at other options. M3 and ATS-V are too small in the back for my kids and not much else stood out...then I started looking at the CTS-V.

I'll do like you said and take a good look at it and give it a spin. Still thinking the MB will fit me better, but we'll see.

Wife is also wanting me to consider the Tesla - which is VERY fast...
Old 08-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bmw m3
The Tesla is fast but it handles a bit like a boat. You can't compare a c63s with a tesla. Different cars with the Tesla all you get is straight line speed. It handles reasonably well for the weight but feels like a boat when compared to a c63s imo.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
the new cts is not the same tier as the c class. it is more the size of the e class/a6/5 series.

so, not apples to apples. The ats-v would be a more appropriate comparison.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by alexasa
the new cts is not the same tier as the c class. it is more the size of the e class/a6/5 series.

so, not apples to apples. The ats-v would be a more appropriate comparison.

People don't compare on similar model tiers....they compare on price. Especially at $80-100k. Whats the most that i can get for my money.

ATS-v is a 4 door cobalt turbo....the engine is 4 generations old and drives like it.

I drove both the C63s and CTS-V before i bought mine. The interior is below grade in the CTS-V. Just doesn't have the refinement or the quality. But if you have 3 kids, it does have a bigger back seat.

The 8SPD in the Caddilac is garbage and ruins the entire driving experience. It's not as sharp and downshifts whenever it wants.

You'd think that with an extra 140HP the Caddy would feel monstrously faster but it doesn't and the stats prove it. The trans in the Caddy really kills it.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
C63 (non S) and the ATS-V are very similarly priced.

It has been repetitively said that ATS-V has one of the best Chassis designs ever in a 4 door sedan. The dynamics are amazing, however the engine is nothing to marvel at.

I would never consider the CTS-V, as I much prefer the previous generation variant more than the new one.

The ATS-V would be a hard buy over the C63 as well. It would all depend on the discount and what I was looking for in a car. The infotainment system in the cadillac is rubbish..
Old 08-26-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
I would be worried on the reliability on the Caddi. My wife has an SRX and it has been in the shop for so many issues(all warrantied) but still who wants to deal with all these issues. Had leaking issues which fried the ecu, AC issues, radio issues, cracking and clunking, and a ton of other things i cant remember. the last issue she was loaned a brand new XT5 and the tech on these is pretty cool, but how long until it stops working is my question.
really seems to be the case with american made always having the most up to date tech and the german have a much nicer fit and finish with outdated tech.

The CTSV even has an option for a camera that creates videos with all the power page info laid out on the screen for you to download. think that is a pretty cool option for a track day or just hitting some twisties
Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204
Get the Merc. You won't be disappointed. Former CTS owner here and I will not purchase another Cadillac product. Ever. Transmission problems, car falls apart after 60K. Oh and horrible customer service both locally and from HQ.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the replies all!

First, to address the ATS-V: I'm not crazy about the styling and some of the tests/comparisons between that and the C63, they noted that it wasn't the luxury of the Merc - which is important to me.

No on that, I did look at one briefly and all I had to do was sit in the back seat. The size of the back is comparable more to the CLA45, not the C63. I couldn't sit all the way up in the back without hitting my head - car is no go right there. As I would like to seat 4 adults fairly comfortably.

As far as the CTS-V goes, it does have more power and performance, but like is being said here, it seems to sill lack some quality in fit and finish.

I'll go check it out, but will still likely go with the Merc.

Now just to find the one that has all the options I want....
Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Between the CTS-V and the C63S, it really depends on what you value most. Based on numerous tests, it appears that the CTS-V is substantially faster in a straight line than the C63S. The CTS-V also likely handles a bit better at the limit. However, with wider and stickier tires, I suspect the C63S could substantially close the gap on handling.

For daily driving, there are trade-offs. The magnetic suspension on the CTS-V is much more sophisticated than the adjustable suspension on the C63S. I drive my C63S in comfort mode on the street and I find the ride quite comfortable, but others have complained it is too stiff. On the other hand, I have driven the C63S on a race track in comfort mode (suspension, engine/transmission was in race mode ;-) and it handled fine. Nonetheless, the ride and handling will be superior on the CTS-V.

Three adults in the back of the C63S will be a tight fit. The CTS-V is definitely larger.

One factor definitely in favor of the C63S is ability to maneuver. I have read that the new CTS-V has a 40 foot turning circle. I have not driven that car, but I used to own of Volvo wagon with a similar turning circle and making 5 point turns gets old very fast. The C63S has a much tighter turning circle which makes it very pleasant to park and for u-turns.

As for quality, I have a relatively early Edition 1 C63S and it has been mostly trouble free. It did have a jammed sun roof shade. It also needed two ECU updates. Finally, it does have some squeaks and rattles that I have not had addressed yet. Overall, however, for an early first year car, it has been quite acceptable. I previously owned a gen 2 CTS-V. It had an intermittent electrical problem that affected the power seats and some related items. 4 trips to the dealer never solved the problem, so that was a bit disappointing. The rest of the car worked well and reliably.

Finally, I have not had an opportunity to sit in the new CTS-V. Nonetheless, I believe that it will not exhibit the same level of luxury and quality materials as the C63S. By all reports, the C63S cabin is unmatched by any car below $100K and I believe it. I don't buy cars based on interior luxury, but I can certainly appreciate it when it comes along with the high performance attributes that do influence my purchasing decisions.

In short,

CTS-V = faster, better handling, better suspension, more interior space
C63S = higher quality interior, more maneuverable for daily driving, probably more reliable, fast but not as fast as the CTS-V

Good luck with your choice. You will likely love either car.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
The CTSV is faster but not so much if a little more tire is on the C63S I think.
On the C&D Lighting lap tests at VIR the CTSV was 2.4 sec faster on a 4.1 mile track.
They said it was the tires that gave out on the C63S and the cornering grip was the same as the CTSV at .98g
I have looked at the Cad and its interior is not nearly as good as the C63S and I live inside and have to like my living quarters, and the MB is better there.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Coming from a cadillac ATS premium to a C63s coupe. The interior is much nicer in the c class. Cadillac is luxurious at first sight but use it a few months and you'll see where they cut corners.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 OB Black AMG c63s
No disrespect but I cant get my arms around driving a caddy... its like my grand dads car... Tune your c63s and you will be pushing 600 hp.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by StrikeTeam
No disrespect but I cant get my arms around driving a caddy... its like my grand dads car... Tune your c63s and you will be pushing 600 hp.
You only feel that way until you actually drive the car. One burst of full throttle acceleration and all thoughts of grand dads in white golf pants are erased from your mind.

Nonetheless, I understand the issue. My wife never tired of teasing about purchasing for me white golf pants and a white belt the entire time I owned my gen 2 CTS-V.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
both are nice but that magnetic ride control on the V is super nice!