Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last minute advice on working with dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016 | 01:42 PM

2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Last minute advice on working with dealer

So timing is working out pretty nice as today I should be ready to put in for my '17 C63s. When looking at the MBUSA site, I'm seeing a lot of MY17 coming in - and I found one that fits 95% of what I was looking for. It is about 900 miles away from me and I already have checked with the dealer to see if they have it. They replied that they are due to receive it on 10/11. That was on Friday. He said he could put it in my name with a deposit.

Soooooo, couple of things here:

Should I just put in a deposit, then work on price? Or start to negotiate price now? Best on phone or over email?

Also need to arrange transport and purchase of the car. I'd rather have it trucked to my area but want to inspect before taking final delivery. Anyone have experience with that?

I'm sure they will work with me on all the paperwork and everything remotely, so that's not much of a concern to me.

Any other last minute advice? I'm looking to put my name on the car this afternoon.
Old 10-03-2016 | 03:53 PM

'15 C63S
I've negotiated several cars over the phone/email, with great success. Just negotiate ahead of time, get a deposit down, get 'em to offset the cost of your 1-way flight and make them pick you up at the airport.
Old 10-03-2016 | 05:03 PM

2016 OB Black AMG c63s
Just think of how much fun the ride back will be!! And it will almost be broken in when you pull in your driveway!
Old 10-03-2016 | 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by StrikeTeam
Just think of how much fun the ride back will be!! And it will almost be broken in when you pull in your driveway!
Yes!
Only thing is getting the time to go there. The weekend after it hits the dealer is my anniversary weekend and I don't think my wife will want to make getting a car our anniversary trip... Thus I'd have to wait longer.

Just sent an email to the SA to make sure it's still there and get the process rolling.
Old 10-03-2016 | 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLE3502W, 2024 GLC3002W, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp (for sale)
Originally Posted by Mikey_boy
So timing is working out pretty nice as today I should be ready to put in for my '17 C63s. When looking at the MBUSA site, I'm seeing a lot of MY17 coming in - and I found one that fits 95% of what I was looking for. It is about 900 miles away from me and I already have checked with the dealer to see if they have it. They replied that they are due to receive it on 10/11. That was on Friday. He said he could put it in my name with a deposit.

Soooooo, couple of things here:

Should I just put in a deposit, then work on price? Or start to negotiate price now? Best on phone or over email?

Also need to arrange transport and purchase of the car. I'd rather have it trucked to my area but want to inspect before taking final delivery. Anyone have experience with that?

I'm sure they will work with me on all the paperwork and everything remotely, so that's not much of a concern to me.

Any other last minute advice? I'm looking to put my name on the car this afternoon.
How are you locating the car on the MB site? The search feature by model seems to have disappeared for me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016 | 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by pjw1967
How are you locating the car on the MB site? The search feature by model seems to have disappeared for me. Thanks.
I get to the main site for the car. There is a blue box "View Inventory" Then put in the zip or city/state and select the dealer.
Old 10-04-2016 | 03:53 AM

Oh, and thanks all!

Deposit made!
Old 10-04-2016 | 04:17 AM

w205c63s
Just coming from my experience, I never put a deposit down unless Im happy with the price just in case the deal goes wrong. Since you are getting the new car miles away, you just dont know what could happen down the road. (hopefully not)

But anyways you made your deposit, so not the case anymore.

In canada, if the new car has to be trucked or shipped from a province to other province. The owner would pay for the transporting cost on top of the MSRP (or you pay separate; credit cards). But if let say you find any damages during the final delivery, then you dont sign the final delivery form nor pay the transportation charge.

Take a picture of damaged area, send to the dealer and deny the delivery. But minds you cannot deny the delivery because let say you dont like the color or some nonsense reasons.

Be sure to ask your dealer to write and sign you a some kind of letter saying "you have rights to refuse to take a possession of the car in case any damages (you can list any damages that could happen during the transportation) may find.

Last edited by e920610; 10-04-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2016 | 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLE3502W, 2024 GLC3002W, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp (for sale)
I get to the main site for the car. There is a blue box "View Inventory" Then put in the zip or city/state and select the dealer.
Up until a week ago, you could search by model number for CPO's and distance, and all that were available would show up depending on the distance away that you chose.
Old 10-04-2016 | 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by e920610
Just coming from my experience, I never put a deposit down unless Im happy with the price just in case the deal goes wrong. Since you are getting the new car miles away, you just dont know what could happen down the road. (hopefully not)

But anyways you made your deposit, so not the case anymore.

In canada, if the new car has to be trucked or shipped from a province to other province. The owner would pay for the transporting cost on top of the MSRP (or you pay separate; credit cards). But if let say you find any damages during the final delivery, then you dont sign the final delivery form nor pay the transportation charge.

Take a picture of damaged area, send to the dealer and deny the delivery. But minds you cannot deny the delivery because let say you dont like the color or some nonsense reasons.

Be sure to ask your dealer to write and sign you a some kind of letter saying "you have rights to refuse to take a possession of the car in case any damages (you can list any damages that could happen during the transportation) may find.
Thanks so much for all this! I will definitely take pictures when it arrives, especially if there is any damage. I'm also considering if a work buddy of mine that lives in the area could go inspect the car at the dealer when it arrives prior to transport. You know, make sure the mirrors fold and there is a back up camera.

As for the deal, I did make sure I was happy before giving the deposit. Not the best deal, but they bundled the transport cost (enclosed trailer) into the price and kept it at MSRP. Honestly worth it considering this is pretty much what I would have ordered.
Old 10-04-2016 | 12:54 PM

w205c63s
Thanks so much for all this! I will definitely take pictures when it arrives, especially if there is any damage. I'm also considering if a work buddy of mine that lives in the area could go inspect the car at the dealer when it arrives prior to transport. You know, make sure the mirrors fold and there is a back up camera.

As for the deal, I did make sure I was happy before giving the deposit. Not the best deal, but they bundled the transport cost (enclosed trailer) into the price and kept it at MSRP. Honestly worth it considering this is pretty much what I would have ordered.
good to hear your transaction is going smooth. I dont know how picky you are but makes you also check the underneath the front bumper and the side skirts when it arrives. Those could get a scrap during the truck delivery (this happened when i got my lotus elise)
Old 10-06-2016 | 12:52 PM

none
Regarding deposits...what have most people been providing to dealers for orders? My order is with-in the next week and my only reference is a previous order with BMW where I put $2,000 down to order the car.
Old 10-06-2016 | 12:58 PM

2020 C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Onebuyer
Regarding deposits...what have most people been providing to dealers for orders? My order is with-in the next week and my only reference is a previous order with BMW where I put $2,000 down to order the car.
I put down a $2k deposit for my c43 preorder back in June.
Old 10-06-2016 | 01:37 PM

They asked for a $1k deposit to put it in my name. Granted this was not a custom order, but a car they ordered but have not received yet.

Paperwork should be fed-exed to me today.
Old 10-06-2016 | 01:47 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
The dealer asked for $1,000 on my C43 (it looks like I might get it at the very end of Oct or early Nov). Previous experience with BMW (2 cars) was $2,000. All 100% custom orders, and not what you would expect to find on a lot.

The dealer upside is they don't have to market and manage inventory on a special order. The downside is if you back out, they may end up with something that doesn't move because it has something weird going on with it. I ordered the designo saddle brown package with amg seats, for instance, which adds around $4k to the sticker in basically interior trim upgrades. I skipped the premium 4 with all the safety nonsense (and yes, the adaptive LEDs as well). A dealer stocking inventory is going to flip those 2 choices, because the safety doodads are something show off on test drives, and the interior packaging is a very personal choice.
Old 10-06-2016 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Ever car I've ordered, the MB dealer asked for $1k check and once a credit card since I did it over the phone. Those checks never got cashed or anything officially charged to my card either (even with 2 different dealers). Now I've always purchased the car's when they came in so there never was a problem with the down payment.
Old 10-07-2016 | 04:35 AM

2014 Audi S4
Hello everyone, first post.

I ordered an S Coupe today. The numbers are generally agreeable to me although we're still working on the finer details.

They asked for 2K up front for the order however they indicated that I most likely will not be charged anything until I sign the documentation. I elected to do European delivery simply for the additional 5% discount that affords. I negotiated another 5% off that price. I wanted ED price -7% but they weren't really interested in that. Perhaps more was available but 10% off the build MSRP is fairly reasonable in my estimation.

I'm 90% sure I'll lease. The payments were less than finance with less money out of pocket. My current car (14 Audi S4) turned 3 this week and thats generally about as long as I like to keep cars.

I'll come back and post some additional details once their settled.

Last edited by Levigarrett; 10-07-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2016 | 07:41 AM

A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by Levigarrett
Hello everyone, first post.

I ordered an S Coupe today. The numbers are generally agreeable to me although we're still working on the finer details.

They asked for 2K up front for the order however they indicated that I most likely will not be charged anything until I sign the documentation. I elected to do European delivery simply for the additional 5% discount that affords. I negotiated another 5% off that price. I wanted ED price -7% but they weren't really interested in that. Perhaps more was available but 10% off the build MSRP is fairly reasonable in my estimation.

I'm 90% sure I'll lease. The payments were less than finance with less money out of pocket. My current car (14 Audi S4) turned 3 this week and thats generally about as long as I like to keep cars.

I'll come back and post some additional details once their settled.
Congrats! If you ordered an S Coupe like your post says - you're REALLY upgrading from your outgoing S4 lol.
Old 10-07-2016 | 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Congrats! If you ordered an S Coupe like your post says - you're REALLY upgrading from your outgoing S4 lol.
I agree. I just figured it was a typo and they meant C coupe since we are also in the w205 forum.
But, wouldn't anything be an upgrade from the Audi?
Old 10-07-2016 | 08:48 AM

2014 C63 Edition 507
too bad the MBUSA site lost this functionality

Originally Posted by pjw1967
Up until a week ago, you could search by model number for CPO's and distance, and all that were available would show up depending on the distance away that you chose.
It was a good way to search vehicles nationwide, now it just refers you to local dealships
Old 10-07-2016 | 12:22 PM

2014 Audi S4
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Thanks. I should have been more clear. C63S Coupe not an S Class coupe.