C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car was just built.... NO POWER FOLDING MIRRORS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by pman9003
It is a QC decision to an extent. Quality control systems are in place to prevent things like this from happening. QC is supposed to throw a hissy fit and prevent these cars from leaving the factory missing parts. However, that is clearly not happening.
In the end, the QC dept doesn't run a business, the finance dept does.

You're not shipping cars and holding inventory and not making profit? Yea right.

They made a conscious decision to make the cars (these types of issues don't leave an automotive factory in today's world). They even skirted around it by changing the option codes. The biggest problem here is changing it without telling the customers who had custom orders. That right there is a huge problem.

As for the ppl who cancel the orders, I bet they don't care much. This is an AMG, someone else will buy it shortly after you.

In the end, the consumer loses either way and MB continues on without a hiccup.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Viper98912

You're not shipping cars and holding inventory and not making profit? Yea right.

They made a conscious decision to make the cars (these types of issues don't leave an automotive factory in today's world). They even skirted around it by changing the option codes. The biggest problem here is changing it without telling the customers who had custom orders. That right there is a huge problem.

As for the ppl who cancel the orders, I bet they don't care much. This is an AMG, someone else will buy it shortly after you.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Unfortunately....
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S.
It is a QC decision to an extent. Quality control systems are in place to prevent things like this from happening. QC is supposed to throw a hissy fit and prevent these cars from leaving the factory missing parts. However, that is clearly not happening.

I also believe QC is severely lacking on these cars in general. I dropped my C63S sedan off today (15 days and 348mi after picking it up) to have the rear trunk spoiler, both night package side trim pieces, and part of the front bumper/splitter replaced. They are all starting to fall off the car. I know people have had this issue before, but this is now the 3rd year of production on these cars. You would think they would have found some better tape/glue/whatever.

I know your pain. My car didn't get a back-up camera.

Did you pick your car up on the 10th from MB of Buckhead? I got my sedan that day as someone took delivery of a C63S coupe (Selenite with CCBs and CF package). Our sales guy told us that the coupe was missing the power folding mirrors. I think he was trying to make me feel better?
Yes, that was my Selenite Coupe. I bet my sales guy at MB Buckhead was trying to calm me down by pointing to your car and mentioning the missing backup camera. Sucks. I trust Jeff K and others took care if you. Can they retrofit?
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Spoke with my dealer today. Picking up my C63 sedan next Wednesday. He knew about the deletion of some options. Apparently they know as soon as it leaves factory based on option coding. He said one customer has not accepted delivery of their car. Mine he assures me is completed as ordered, with no deletions on any item. I'm hoping he is right!!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Wow, this is all pretty surprising. Years ago we ordered an MB for my wife and it was delivered as ordered. More recently, we ordered a Porsche and it arrived as ordered. However I can recall people posting on Porsche forums when their SA's notified them of a delay in the build due to a supply issue from an outside vendor. Porsche didn't simply ship the cars and have people discover certain options were missing when they went to take delivery of them. This all makes me a bit nervous about ordering an MB (considering a C43 for the wife, not sure about sedan vs. coupe).
Old 10-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by Esrh1
Yes, that was my Selenite Coupe. I bet my sales guy at MB Buckhead was trying to calm me down by pointing to your car and mentioning the missing backup camera. Sucks. I trust Jeff K and others took care if you. Can they retrofit?
I'm fairly confident they used our cars as examples for one another. Personally, it didn't make me feel any better.

Yeah, after some additional back and forth, they stepped up and made some concessions to compensate for the missing camera. Retrofitting a factory camera is not an option. It was a standalone option for '16, so they used those harnesses, which lack all the provisions for a camera. They offered an aftermarket one, but I passed. I can manage backing into spots just fine using my mirrors and turning my head.

Originally Posted by Dino944
Wow, this is all pretty surprising. Years ago we ordered an MB for my wife and it was delivered as ordered. More recently, we ordered a Porsche and it arrived as ordered. However I can recall people posting on Porsche forums when their SA's notified them of a delay in the build due to a supply issue from an outside vendor. Porsche didn't simply ship the cars and have people discover certain options were missing when they went to take delivery of them. This all makes me a bit nervous about ordering an MB (considering a C43 for the wife, not sure about sedan vs. coupe).
Porsche, like Lexus and others, do the right thing and delay the build when they don't have parts. Even Chevrolet delays builds when they run out of Corvette parts. MB apparently does not adhere to those ideals. I think it just shows blatant arrogance on the part of MB.

If I were in your situation, I would order the car. Just make sure you can get a full refund on your deposit if anything is missing. I was fortunate enough to have only put down a fully refundable deposit to order the car, so walking away was an option for me. Also, have a back up plan in the event that you do not take delivery of the car you ordered. (i.e. keep your current car, have an alternative choice, etc)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan

If I were in your situation, I would order the car. Just make sure you can get a full refund on your deposit if anything is missing. I was fortunate enough to have only put down a fully refundable deposit to order the car, so walking away was an option for me. Also, have a back up plan in the event that you do not take delivery of the car you ordered. (i.e. keep your current car, have an alternative choice, etc)
Thanks for the suggestions on ordering. We are still at least a few weeks out from ordering and want to test drive a few other cars before we decide, but based on our having driven a C450, the C43 is a strong contender. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Viper98912

Actually, in my case, it's the dealer that ended up losing. Because I refused the build, they had to get me another production date, and they had to compensate me to keep me as a customer.

After reading what others are experiencing here in the forums, stateside dealers seems to be the ones eating it (e.g. price reduction, free maintenance plan, etc.). Unless MB compensates these dealers, I suspect they'll probably end up with a class-action lawsuit.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Sawadeeka
Actually, in my case, it's the dealer that ended up losing. Because I refused the build, they had to get me another production date, and they had to compensate me to keep me as a customer.

After reading what others are experiencing here in the forums, stateside dealers seems to be the ones eating it (e.g. price reduction, free maintenance plan, etc.). Unless MB compensates these dealers, I suspect they'll probably end up with a class-action lawsuit.
I got compensated, although it wasn't a LOT, it was better than MB's original offer of $150 off the MSRP.

In Germany, the refusal of a build is little easier because you can get a new build date and it's likely a 2-4 week delay. In the US, it's a 2-3 month delay....
Old 10-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by auditoamg
I got compensated, although it wasn't a LOT, it was better than MB's original offer of $150 off the MSRP.

In Germany, the refusal of a build is little easier because you can get a new build date and it's likely a 2-4 week delay. In the US, it's a 2-3 month delay....
Glad you got compensated. You're correct in that it is much easier to refuse since my pickup point is right here in Sindelfingen and my dealer has a direct relationship with them. However, my car is also US-spec so I also have to wait until mid-Feb for my build date. /cry

Last edited by Sawadeeka; 10-28-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Sawadeeka
Glad you got compensated. You're correct in that it is much easier to refuse since my pickup point is right here in Sindelfingen and my dealer has a direct relationship with them. However, my car is also US-spec so I also have to wait until mid-Feb for my build date. /cry
Well, I wasn't THAT right!!!
Mid-Feb for build is crazy!
They must be very behind on build or parts....
One of the two!!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Picked up my C43 Coupe yesterday...it is missing the power folding mirrors. Has anyone had any success in retrofitting these?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Picked up my C43 Coupe yesterday...it is missing the power folding mirrors. Has anyone had any success in retrofitting these?
Damm!! They need to eat my a$$ ... nicely said
Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by diewithme
Damm!! They need to eat my a$$ ... nicely said
LMAO.
I think you'll have more luck getting them to buy you dinner first...

LOL
Old 10-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
LMAO.
I think you'll have more luck getting them to buy you dinner first...

LOL
Yep! Dinner is first, the more spicy, the better it gets
Old 10-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
This is unbelievable. How many of us are there now??
Old 10-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Looks like it happens on the early build coupes...both C43 and C63.
That just sucks. But for those of you who got reimbursement from MBUSA, I would take it. For those of you who think the mirror is a must have, I don't know what to say, I feel sorry.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by arnold0523
Looks like it happens on the early build coupes...both C43 and C63.
That just sucks. But for those of you who got reimbursement from MBUSA, I would take it. For those of you who think the mirror is a must have, I don't know what to say, I feel sorry.
My dealer has agreed to "try" to retrofit. Should be possible from what I've seen on other MBs. They're working to order the parts currently. Door switch is not yet available in US or via Germany. Coding will be another hurdle. Given it's been a month, I'm also asking for some compensation along with a promise to keep trying on the retrofit at their expense.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
Originally Posted by jhillman
My dealer has agreed to "try" to retrofit. Should be possible from what I've seen on other MBs. They're working to order the parts currently. Door switch is not yet available in US or via Germany. Coding will be another hurdle. Given it's been a month, I'm also asking for some compensation along with a promise to keep trying on the retrofit at their expense.
Have you done retrofitting the power folding mirrors? Also, does it look perfect or you can tell it's added after it's been built?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
I refused the retrofit because they also need to figure out how to change the software and that just seems like opening a can of worms. The mechanics seem doable, but changing the software to essentially a different cars sounds like a headache.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:04 PM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by jkob5
I refused the retrofit because they also need to figure out how to change the software and that just seems like opening a can of worms. The mechanics seem doable, but changing the software to essentially a different cars sounds like a headache.
Coding the modules in COMAND is doable. Has been done before, specifically for the folding mirror retrofit. Not a big deal.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Coding the modules in COMAND is doable. Has been done before, specifically for the folding mirror retrofit. Not a big deal.
The software is the easiest part of this.... I would be WAY more concerned about the mechanics, tearing apart door panels, etc.. Modules and coding, easy breezy.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:48 PM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
The software is the easiest part of this.... I would be WAY more concerned about the mechanics, tearing apart door panels, etc.. Modules and coding, easy breezy.
After weeks of haggling and not taking "no" for an answer on the retrofit (even while MBUSA the whole time has told me it's not possible as recently as last Friday), I got my dealer to agree to try the retrofit. I dropped it off yesterday morning, and as of today, my SA told me the power folding mirrors and correct door switch have been installed, and the car coded! I can provide specifics once I get the service record when I pick up my car. Meanwhile, don't let anyone tell you the retrofit is not possible.

They're keeping it another day or two to work on the transmission issue (I've posted separately about this). The tech did verify there's a problem, but they've had to open a technical case with MBUSA for help on how to fix it.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
After weeks of haggling and not taking "no" for an answer on the retrofit (even while MBUSA the whole time has told me it's not possible as recently as last Friday), I got my dealer to agree to try the retrofit. I dropped it off yesterday morning, and as of today, my SA told me the power folding mirrors and correct door switch have been installed, and the car coded! I can provide specifics once I get the service record when I pick up my car. Meanwhile, don't let anyone tell you the retrofit is not possible.

They're keeping it another day or two to work on the transmission issue (I've posted separately about this). The tech did verify there's a problem, but they've had to open a technical case with MBUSA for help on how to fix it.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4

Happy to hear a retrofit is possible. I was also told by my dealer that a retrofit wasn't possible, but I was compensated well and the mirrors aren't a huge deal to me (I received a $3,000 check plus 3 years pre-paid maintenance for free).

Good to know we can retrofit if we absolutely want to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car was just built.... NO POWER FOLDING MIRRORS!!!!