Sponsored by:

c63s coupe with sport exhaust vs sedan exhaust, very different for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
c63s coupe with sport exhaust vs sedan exhaust, very different for me

So I been lucky enough to have extensive time in the sedan to know exactly what the exhaust sounds like, and now I have had some time with the coupe as well.

The coupe is definitely louder, that is for sure, I hear it all the time. Even with flaps close i can still sometimes hear the exhaust quite clearly.

I noticed especially around the 1-3k rpm kind of crusing range, there is even a slight drone in the coupe, anyone else notice this? I never heard that in the sedan, if I am lightly accelerating I hear this drone in the coupe.

Other differences I noticed, the start up sounds different as well, cold starts up on the sedan I actually for some reason enjoy more then the coupe cold start up.

Overall I like the coupe exhaust more, the extra loudness and beefiness is a lot of fun, but if I was to say anything negative about it is that drone I hear in the 1-4k range while driving. I sometimes can hear the exhaust over my music if the music is on lower volume.

Am I the only person experiencing this?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
I have the coupe and previously had the sedan.

The coupe is definitely louder.... I've had the coupe for almost 3 months now and had the sedan for well over a year.

You can tell the difference right away during low revs and then when planting the car on full load.

I have not experienced the drone sound...
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 AM

bmw
Louder how for you?

Are the downshifts louder too or about the same?

And what about cold start up?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Louder in that I can hear the car a lot more inside... also had a friend drive next to me and he said it was louder than the sedan from the outside too.

Downshift pops are louder and when revving (like a hooligan) in neutral the car crackles/ pops/ back fires like crazy. The sedan didn't do it as much.

Never paid attention to the cold start sorry... can't base the car on the few seconds it takes to warms up lol
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM

bmw
Interesting!

I wonder why the coupe sounds so different

I am assuming shorter exhaust pipe.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Sanch
Louder in that I can hear the car a lot more inside... also had a friend drive next to me and he said it was louder than the sedan from the outside too.

Downshift pops are louder and when revving (like a hooligan) in neutral the car crackles/ pops/ back fires like crazy. The sedan didn't do it as much.

Never paid attention to the cold start sorry... can't base the car on the few seconds it takes to warms up lol
haha we'll get back to you when its June-August, winter time over there at Sydney isn't it?
Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by SBH-
haha we'll get back to you when its June-August, winter time over there at Sydney isn't it?
LOL yes, you are correct.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 AM

C63S 2016
LOL yes, you are correct.
exact opposite here ! I'm enjoying breakfast everyday !
Old 12-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
i wondering if it has to do with the way the car is shaped. i am sure the longer sloping back has something to do with amplifying the sound. maybe the rear seats are also made differently where there is not as much padding to muffle the sound coming into the cabin.
i did notice the other day when i was bringing my winter wheels home that when i had the rear seats folded down the car was EXTREMELY loud. almost made me think of driving around like that all the time to enjoy the symphony haha
Old 12-06-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 S Coupe Edition 1
I know the coupe is louder by design. I have no experience with the sedan but in the low rev range I think I know what you mean by the drone noise though honestly it isn't really noticeable when the PE flaps are closed.

Pops and crackles though in S+ really are intoxicating.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
I'm considering deleting the secondary cats on the coupe to see if it can go little louder... lol
Old 12-06-2016, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Post vids if you do! I'm interested in doing the same with my Coupe - seems like a much better alternative to get more sound than the headache downpipes install.

I'm considering deleting the secondary cats on the coupe to see if it can go little louder... lol
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Post vids if you do! I'm interested in doing the same with my Coupe - seems like a much better alternative to get more sound than the headache downpipes install.
I'm with you mate, and the performance exhaust is actually pretty good. TDeleting secondary cats I think will be perfect.

However, won't be happening till Jan i'm afraid... hopefully looking at some new forged wheels around the same time too. Might all happen at once.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:44 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
I've spent a lot of seat time in both now as well, can confirm the coupe is noticeably louder when in normal comfort mode however IMO not so much if not the same compared to the sedan in sport modes with sport exhaust button activated as well.

Personally I wouldn't delete any cats you will render the car un-roadworthy and un-insurable, not to mention you'll be breathing in noxious fumes as that's what the catalytic converters are there for if you want it louder substitute for higher flow/performance cats.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by AV1
I've spent a lot of seat time in both now as well, can confirm the coupe is noticeably louder when in normal comfort mode however IMO not so much if not the same compared to the sedan in sport modes with sport exhaust button activated as well.

Personally I wouldn't delete any cats you will render the car un-roadworthy and un-insurable, not to mention you'll be breathing in noxious fumes as that's what the catalytic converters are there for if you want it louder substitute for higher flow/performance cats.
True true... thinking catless DP down the track but then will also need to tune...then again you need to drop the whole motor which isn't ideal lol....

Wheels first though!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s
I noted the drone in low rpm in comfort and rather it not be there. Other than that the exhaust is awesome but could be a bit louder.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:20 AM

C63S 2016
however, as several guys out here pointed, I noticed that the car's a bit quitter after the 2nd service (30k KM) ... yet the downshift pops are upgraded