Rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 BMW M3, 2017 C63s Coupe, 2015 S550, 2018 E63s
Rattles

Hey Guys,

I know that there are many posts about 2017 C63s coupe rattles, but I want to see if you are experiencing any of the rattles I am.
  • Rattles all over the front dash -
  • Rattles from driver A/C vent. Very noticeable when going higher speeds
  • Rattles from the doors
  • Rattles when the drivers side window is down (can't seem to figure what it is)
Anyway, I already took it in once and they said they couldn't replicate half of the rattles I pointed out. They did fix one by adding more 3M foam tape by the speedometer.

What kind of rattles have you experienced and have they been fixed? If so, how did you get them fixed? Should I keep going back to the dealer and have them keep working on the car till every rattle is fixed? I know that this is a sport car with low profiles but I wouldn't expect close to this many rattles on a brand new car that costs this much.

Even my 2008 M3 that was much older than this car and with the same size tires didn't rattle this much. Although I have seen some complaints about the rattles from the c63s, I haven't seen much about how they were fixed/how much to bug the dealer.

Am I correct to assume that I should have close to no rattles?

I appreciate all of the feedback! Definitely love this car over my M3 but cannot get over the rattles!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
The W205 rattles like an old Subaru. It's too bad.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
The W205 rattles like an old Subaru. It's too bad.
I took my sedan back 3 to 4 times because of the rattles.

First time one they said they couldn't replicate so I recorded each one and emailed the video clips to my Service Advisor.

I dropped the car back the last time and told them I wouldn't pick it up until they were all rectified.

My car car now is almost rattle free on the inside, just have a minor the dash rattle in front of the steering wheel somewhere.

Be be persistent and be prepared just to leave the car with them till it's done.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Only place I've experienced rattles are at the seat belt hight adjustment on both passenger and driver's side. Found I just have to kind of clip it more in place.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I can certainly say that my C43 Coupe (built in Germany) rattles much less than C450 Sedan (built in the US)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I've had rattles from the seat belt extenders. The driver's side one got fixed but the passenger one still rattles although only passengers hear it.

My driver's seat made a ticking/cracking noise over most road undulations. It eventually got replaced completely and the noise went away but is now (unfortunately!) back again but happens less frequently (at the moment).

My dash has the odd creak especially when cold. My sunroof area has some rattles over certain road surfaces.

I've had very few cars that have been completely silent, my 911 was an absolute rattlefest! Porsche did fix it almost completely although I still have some microfibre cloths stuffed behind the rear seat belt covers and a credit card sandwiched between the glove box and the dash!

If the seat noise in my C63 doesn't get any worse (I think it might) then the car is just about acceptable.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 Coupe 507, CLK55 Convertible, X1 35i, 70 GTO convertible, motorcycles
This thread bums me out. I have a 2014 C63 coupe and was thinking of trading it for a newer (4.0TT) sedan because my kids are getting bigger...but rattles kill me! I was even planning to order a car with no sunroof to eliminate that as a possible source of rattles. But dash rattles and seatbelt rattles and whatever else are a deal killer. My wife has an X1 (which costs half as much as a C63) and it has zero rattles. I have a 06 CLK55 (convertible even!) with 60K miles and it has zero rattles. Hell, we have an 07 Denali with 100K miles and zero rattles. But my C63 has a few, and they bug the F@$& out of me. Many many carmakers seem to be able to solve for this, but MB seems to be behind the curve (at least in the C class). MB, please help!!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Quite honestly I don't know how people deal with rattles in cars at all. They drive me nuts. Yes you can turn up the volume but as soon as there is a gap between songs or I just want to listen to the car itself its all over for me.

My particular problem with the seat is now even worse and I've had enough. My dealer has been pretty good throughout and I'm hoping that they will continue to be so should I reject the car (and I can't see any other option at the moment with multiple attempts at fixing including replacing the seat altogether.)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:16 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
I can certainly say that my C43 Coupe (built in Germany) rattles much less than C450 Sedan (built in the US)
My service centre managed to rectify all but one of my rattles after 3 visits.

I had about 10 of them and like everyone else it killed my life everytime I drove it.

Still have the dash rattle and last night my passenger side door started to rattle when going over bumps on the road.

This particular rattle was very loud and sounded like a metal object hitting the inside the door.

I have learned from from this experience that not all rattle are located were you think they are so it could be the seat, the B pillar or something else.

Looks like I'll take it back to the service centre again.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
My 2017 Alabama built c43 sedan is rock solid.. my 2016 c450 that I traded in had rattles every where..I told my dealer when I traded in my c450 for the c43 that I wanted to test drive it all the way to my house on familiar roads...it was so much more solid on the usual potholes..so I traded in the c450 for the c43 and am happy now
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Swapped my Dunlops out for Michelin PSS and all the rattles went away, even in Race mode. Go fig.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
The entire W205 sedan line seems to have the same issues. I addressed it by buying a roll of black felt tape. Then I sat in the car and shook individual parts of the dash and figured out which parts were talking back. Using a butter knife, I crammed the felt tape between those parts until the felt was no longer visible. Here's the list:

Dash:

-Left outboard AC vent, over the top where it meets the dash.
-Between the entire top of the gauge pod where it meets the dash top.
-Between the infotainment screen base and the dash (major offender)
-Right outboard AC vent, over the top.

Doors:

-In the crease between the top of the wood (or aluminum) trim and the upper MB Tex piece.
-On the underside of the wood (or aluminum) trim in the crease between the LED light strip and the door panel.

Took about a half an hour. Cured 90% of the creaks and rattles. Something is still going on in the back somewhere though.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The entire W205 sedan line seems to have the same issues. I addressed it by buying a roll of black felt tape. Then I sat in the car and shook individual parts of the dash and figured out which parts were talking back. Using a butter knife, I crammed the felt tape between those parts until the felt was no longer visible. Here's the list:

Dash:

-Left outboard AC vent, over the top where it meets the dash.
-Between the entire top of the gauge pod where it meets the dash top.
-Between the infotainment screen base and the dash (major offender)
-Right outboard AC vent, over the top.

Doors:

-In the crease between the top of the wood (or aluminum) trim and the upper MB Tex piece.
-On the underside of the wood (or aluminum) trim in the crease between the LED light strip and the door panel.

Took about a half an hour. Cured 90% of the creaks and rattles. Something is still going on in the back somewhere though.
Great suggestion... Did you wrap tape around the butter knife. to prevent scratching?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Do you wipe the butter off first?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
I have oct 2016 build coupe from new with 3000km on it I have a rattle from the dash started funny enough after reading this thread and I had one on the passenger side. Fixed the passenger side by moving the seat forward away from the seatbelt buckle.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by vaelin
Swapped my Dunlops out for Michelin PSS and all the rattles went away, even in Race mode. Go fig.
weird cuz I have PSSs when I first got the car and the rattles have been there ever since.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 BMW M3, 2017 C63s Coupe, 2015 S550, 2018 E63s
The dealer has fixed the following problems for me:

1) Dash Rattles
2) Driver side door rattles
3) Both AC vent rattles (driver side one had to be replaced)
4) Rough shifts from 3rd to 4th gear in sports +
5) Passenger side marker lamp light (told they had to replace whole headlight)
6) Rattles by seat belt extender

I will be picking my car up today, so hopefully all that they have said is actually true. I will let you guys know how it goes.

If anyone else has dealt with rattles, squeaks, or any problems I have, it would be great to hear your experience.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C63S
I've got a few rattles in my C63S coupe. Didn't start until about 1k miles in (now at just under 3k miles). Any advice appreciated!

The Dash. Somewhere behind the gauge cluster, I think. I actually removed the gauge cluster and drove around without it, and still heard it, and still couldn't find it. Went for a ride with a dealer tech and couldn't reproduce it. Seems very speed sensitive. A rough road can cause the rattle, but so can high speed (70+ MPH).

Driver door. Seems to be coming from next to my left ear, by the door lock pin. Also didn't happen on the drive with the tech. But if you just hit the door panel with the side of your fist (gently), you can hear parts rattling around. That one should be relatively easy.

Because the tech didn't hear it, the dealer did nothing to even look for it. Complete waste of time to even try. They lubed a strut, which made no difference. Will have to go back. In the meantime, anyone actually find an actual solution to the dash or door rattles?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by AmexWest
I've got a few rattles in my C63S coupe. Didn't start until about 1k miles in (now at just under 3k miles). Any advice appreciated!

The Dash. Somewhere behind the gauge cluster, I think. I actually removed the gauge cluster and drove around without it, and still heard it, and still couldn't find it. Went for a ride with a dealer tech and couldn't reproduce it. Seems very speed sensitive. A rough road can cause the rattle, but so can high speed (70+ MPH).

Driver door. Seems to be coming from next to my left ear, by the door lock pin. Also didn't happen on the drive with the tech. But if you just hit the door panel with the side of your fist (gently), you can hear parts rattling around. That one should be relatively easy.

Because the tech didn't hear it, the dealer did nothing to even look for it. Complete waste of time to even try. They lubed a strut, which made no difference. Will have to go back. In the meantime, anyone actually find an actual solution to the dash or door rattles?
I have a2016 C63S Sedan, and had no rattles for the first couple of months then they came.

I went to Thailand for a holiday so left the car at the service centre the whole time to rectify.

It took taking the car back 3 times before all rattles were rectified except for the dash rattle that they could never fix.

All has been well, however, in the last couple of weeks my dash has more serious rattles both in front of the steering wheel and now above the glove box.

Also the rear driver side door and front passenger side door both now have rattles, so annoying.

I now now record all the rattles and email to my Service Advise before going in.

This is my first AMG and I'm embarrassed to take friends in the car when it rattles so bad.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Door rattles

I had rattles coming from right side rear door.
MB service told that the fixings (I guess of the door panel) were weak and allowed parts to move slightly. They changed the fixings to stronger ones, and since then the door has been quiet. Maybe it is the same issue regarding other door rattles indicated in this discussion?
The following users liked this post:
WhiteKnight16 (03-22-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight16
The dealer has fixed the following problems for me:

1) Dash Rattles
2) Driver side door rattles
3) Both AC vent rattles (driver side one had to be replaced)
4) Rough shifts from 3rd to 4th gear in sports +
5) Passenger side marker lamp light (told they had to replace whole headlight)
6) Rattles by seat belt extender

I will be picking my car up today, so hopefully all that they have said is actually true. I will let you guys know how it goes.

If anyone else has dealt with rattles, squeaks, or any problems I have, it would be great to hear your experience.

Thanks
Have the fixes that your dealer implemented held up? My seat belt extender rattles constantly, and the dealer fixed it once but that only held up for a few weeks. Curious if you happen to know what they did to fix yours and if it worked.

Anyone also have an issue with a buzzing sound that occurs under acceleration when the exhaust valves are open? Seems to come from around the rear view mirror, but it's not the easiest to replicate.