Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017 | 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Get the S without a doubt.
Old 03-11-2017 | 12:59 PM

AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Interesting, Did the base C63 have the performance exhaust ? That may account for the difference.
No Same exhaust as standard in U.K. On non S, also someone told me exhaust has two modes on C63 and three modes on the C63s this may explain the louder noise in race mode I thought I heard as detailed above about flap control in race mode.
Tried today sport + then race mode defo sounds louder and more snap crackle n pop on down shifts
Old 03-11-2017 | 05:55 PM

'17 C63S Estate (S205) / '14 CLS 550 SB (X218) / '17 E220d (S213)
Originally Posted by skim7x
I know the S model has a bunch more goodies, and I don't mean to offend you with this, but could you cite your sources on some of that information?
Sure! Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 with engine M 177 Type 205 AMG Introduction into service, Daimler AG 9/2014

1) Adaptive Engine Mounts - I don't think these will change the responsiveness of the engine. These are more for handling dynamics than engine performance.
It is not engine performance itself, but - as you said chassi and engine response (especially steering response as well!). Page 58 of the document above.

2) Rotor size - the mb website cites them as the same in S and non-S models. Where have you seen that these sizes differ?
Page 60 of the document above:
"AMG Hochleistungsbremsanlage C63...Bremsscheiben an Vorder- und Hinterachse...360mm"

My translation: "AMG high performance brake system C63...brake rotors front and rear...360mm" (including pictures!)

"AMG Hochleistungs Verbundbremsanlage S-Model...Verbundbremsscheibe...390x36mm an der Vorderachse...Dual-Cast Bremsscheiben bestehen aus 2 Materialien - Gusseisen und Aluminium - und bieten verschiedene Vorteile, wie eine Gewichtsverringerung um 50%, einen höheren Komfort beim Lenken und eine bessere Bremsperformance"

My translation: "AMG High Performance Composite-Brake-System S-Model...composite-rotors...390x36mm in the front...Dual-Cast rotors that consist of 2 materials - cast iron and aluminium - which offer different benefits, such as a 50% weight reduction, higher comfort at turn in and a better brake performance"

3) Race mode exhaust - again, I don't see any documentation anywhere that says the performance exhaust on an S is different than the performance exhaust in the non-S. Please provide reference.
As I already wrote: The exhaust is the same, but the handling of the FLAP(s) differs between the modes!

Page 47 of the document above:
"Abgasklappe, die je nach Leistungswunsch des Fahrers und abhängig von der Motordrehzahl elektrisch vom Motorsteuergerät...kennfeldgesteuert betätigt werden."

My translation: "Exhaust flap, that is electrical driven and computer-map-controlled, depending on mode, rpm and throttle position"

Without Performance exhaust, you still have the flap in the H-pipe, which is depending on drive modes, offering the smoothest ride in "Comfort" and the most agressiv in "Race". With the Performance exhaust, one adds two additional flaps in the rear muffler. Those can manually be opened via the push button - but the H-pipe flap remains computer controlled and dependend on the selected mode.

Just give it a try: Let someone drive your C63S. Ask him to do a few drive-by starting at 1.500 rpm in 3rd gear with full throttle (gearbox "M" AND Performance Exhaust flaps OPEN). Now do that in "COMFORT", "SPORT", SPORT+" and "RACE". Even though the exhaust flaps pushbutton light is on all the time (as you had pressed it), the sound differs a lot. For me, "Sport+" sounds the best, as "RACE" is to deep...to raspy for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by J.M.G.:
AMGC63S (03-11-2017), japamg (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017 | 07:25 PM

2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by J.M.G.

Just give it a try: Let someone drive your C63S. Ask him to do a few drive-by starting at 1.500 rpm in 3rd gear with full throttle (gearbox "M" AND Performance Exhaust flaps OPEN). Now do that in "COMFORT", "SPORT", SPORT+" and "RACE". Even though the exhaust flaps pushbutton light is on all the time (as you had pressed it), the sound differs a lot. For me, "Sport+" sounds the best, as "RACE" is to deep...to raspy for me.
Thanks for all your research and info.

Curious though... Am I to understand that in order to achieve maximum sound from the performance exhaust, the gearbox needs to be in "M" mode, for manual, and not "D" which will shift for you?

Also, I never have to actually press the button to open the flaps... I never drive in Comfort mode... So it's automatically always pressed.

Last edited by Palpatine; 03-11-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2017 | 08:10 PM

2016 C63 Wagon
Originally Posted by J.M.G.

3. Race Mode
The S offers one more mode, which the driver can select. RACE mode offers an even more aggressiv exhaust note (flap in the H-Pipe is closed all the way through the rev range). The MCT-gearbox is shifting even faster. The throttle response is even sharper. Also ESP is in "Sport Mode"
That's really interesting. So a good exhaust mod if you want a more aggressive exhaust note is to permanently close off the H pipe?
Old 12-13-2017 | 11:38 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
the grey metallic paint is over a thousand less on the S model.....then toss in the steering wheel, less expensive carbon fiber trim, zero charge for leather seats.....the difference is materially less (if the paint color is what you're after).