Sponsored by:

Should I get the C63 or the C63 S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None
Should I get the C63 or the C63 S?

deciding which one to get since I feel like the price tag of the C63 S is a bit too high. Is there any difference between the two other than horsepower? Which one do you recommend me to get? By the way I really like the "S" badge lol. Also does anyone of you feel like you regret getting a C class for such a high price? When you could've gotten more upper class brand like a lower end Porsche and a Range Rover sport for about the same price? I've always loved the design of the C class and the AMG badge but I can't convince myself that it's worth it. Please help?! Because if I really wanted a nice engine with magical handling ad speed why in the world would I get a Mercedes over a Porsche? But the problem is I don't want any Porsche except the 911. Also Mercedes can be daily driven while the Porsche is too much of a racing car. But I can't afford a 911 right now so my only choice is the AMG. But like I said I can't convince myself.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Originally Posted by Vvvvvv
deciding which one to get since I feel like the price tag of the C63 S is a bit too high. Is there any difference between the two other than horsepower? Which one do you recommend me to get? By the way I really like the "S" badge lol. Also does anyone of you feel like you regret getting a C class for such a high price? When you could've gotten more upper class brand like a lower end Porsche and a Range Rover sport for about the same price? I've always loved the design of the C class and the AMG badge but I can't convince myself that it's worth it. Please help?! Because if I really wanted a nice engine with magical handling ad speed why in the world would I get a Mercedes over a Porsche? But the problem is I don't want any Porsche except the 911. Also Mercedes can be daily driven while the Porsche is too much of a racing car. But I can't afford a 911 right now so my only choice is the AMG. But like I said I can't convince myself.
V8. That's one of the most important things. I believe there's a thread about this already but I'll repeat. From what I know you get the extra hp with the S, the electronic diff which you'll want in this RwD car. You get the full leather instead of alcantara center seats. You also get adjustable trans and motor mounts. 19" wheels are standard instead of 18". There may be some things missing but others will chime in.

As to regrets, no. Nothing that competes would be able to pull me From my c63. The giulia is awesome but it's a first year model with problems and a 6 cylinder. A low level Porsche isn't that great you're basically paying for the name. Idk what Range Rover competes with the c63.

Interior is amazing and the power is incredible. You'll want more but luckily they make tunes.

It's been a great car so far, especially with different tires.

You don't get a magical Porsche for 75000. Not even close.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 PM

None
Originally Posted by Souriall91
V8. That's one of the most important things. I believe there's a thread about this already but I'll repeat. From what I know you get the extra hp with the S, the electronic diff which you'll want in this RwD car. You get the full leather instead of alcantara center seats. You also get adjustable trans and motor mounts. 19" wheels are standard instead of 18". There may be some things missing but others will chime in.

As to regrets, no. Nothing that competes would be able to pull me From my c63. The giulia is awesome but it's a first year model with problems and a 6 cylinder. A low level Porsche isn't that great you're basically paying for the name. Idk what Range Rover competes with the c63.

Interior is amazing and the power is incredible. You'll want more but luckily they make tunes.

It's been a great car so far, especially with different tires.

You don't get a magical Porsche for 75000. Not even close.
thank you very much for the helpful reply! It seems like I'd just have to get that extra money for that "S" model!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I have the non-S version and don't have any regrets. Once you tune the engine, the power is equalized between the two. I really like my standard seats (got the non-performance) as I'm more interested in a comfortable daily driver (long commutes included) than racetrack performance, and for that same reason didn't need the electronic diff. The non-S version comes with a mechanical diff that works damn near as good. The thing that made me choose the car was the v8 and amazing sound it makes despite being turbo charged... It's a dying breed. You'll never regret it either way if you're going for a one of a kind engine with character.

Of course, if you're rich and money is no object of course you go with the S... You'll get that cool badge, too... But you can save a pretty chunk of money by going non-S and I'd have to say, I don't think I'm missing out on much.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
I ended up choosing the S version partly because by the time you option the non s version out the cost difference was minimal
Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
The C63s is the one to get as long as you can afford the extra although as skim7x mentioned the C63 is still good. If you don't need the room then I wouldn't rule out a Cayman personally. The new 718 is fantastic to drive, especially the "S" and the interior is almost identical to the 911. Range Rover's are great cars but they are big cruisers not hot performance cars like the C63, completely different experience.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
'17 C63S Estate (S205) / '14 CLS 550 SB (X218) / '17 E220d (S213)
In Germany, the "S" does give you a few technical features, that I would not want to miss:

1. adaptiv engine mounts
This gives you in "COMFORT" an even smoother ride while in "S+" the engine response is even more aggressiv. This is done, by softening the mounts in "C" and stiffen it up in the other modes.

2. 390mm 2-piece front rotors
If you are not going for the optional ceramic brakes, the S-Model offers far superior brakes than the standard C63. This can even be felt on the Autobahn - you will not need track visits to notice that! The old 360x36mm brakes, which were standard on most AMG cars since 2005, were a weak point in spirited Autobahn-Driving. AMG did know that and offered the 390x36mm brake on the C63 Black Series for the first time in a C-Class. This brake is now standard on the S and it is a blast to drive!

3. Race Mode
The S offers one more mode, which the driver can select. RACE mode offers an even more aggressiv exhaust note (flap in the H-Pipe is closed all the way through the rev range). The MCT-gearbox is shifting even faster. The throttle response is even sharper. Also ESP is in "Sport Mode" standard.

4. Elektronic adjusted read differential
The limited slip differential uses fixed values in the C63. In the C63S, those values can be adjusted by a small electric motor that is placed on the differential. It gets its commands by the ESP and therefore alters how the differential works depending on surface, engine load, g-force and so on.

5. Topspeed (for Germany only)
In Germany, we have the delimited AUTOBAHN (see links below in my signature). Therefore it makes sense to order the C63 with the - optional - higher topspeed of 280 (wagon) or 290km/h (sedan / coupe / convertible). This will cost you 3++ k€ in the C63 but only 800 € in the C63S...
The following 2 users liked this post by J.M.G.:
AMGC63S (03-08-2017), DragonRR (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Mikey_boy
I ended up choosing the S version partly because by the time you option the non s version out the cost difference was minimal
+1
Price out each and find out the diff.

Last edited by RDOCA; 03-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by J.M.G.
RACE mode offers an even more aggressiv exhaust note (flap in the H-Pipe is closed all the way through the rev range).
I didn't know that!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S EDITION 1
This is also true for the US

In Germany, the "S" does give you a few technical features, that I would not want to miss:

1. adaptiv engine mounts
This gives you in "COMFORT" an even smoother ride while in "S+" the engine response is even more aggressiv. This is done, by softening the mounts in "C" and stiffen it up in the other modes.

If you are not going for the optional ceramic brakes, the S-Model offers far superior brakes than the standard C63. This can even be felt on the Autobahn - you will not need track visits to notice that! The old 360x36mm brakes, which were standard on most AMG cars since 2005, were a weak point in spirited Autobahn-Driving. AMG did know that and offered the 390x36mm brake on the C63 Black Series for the first time in a C-Class. This brake is now standard on the S and it is a blast to drive!

3. Race Mode
The S offers one more mode, which the driver can select. RACE mode offers an even more aggressiv exhaust note (flap in the H-Pipe is closed all the way through the rev range). The MCT-gearbox is shifting even faster. The throttle response is even sharper. Also ESP is in "Sport Mode" standard.

The limited slip differential uses fixed values in the C63. In the C63S, those values can be adjusted by a small electric motor that is placed on the differential. It gets its commands by the ESP and therefore alters how the differential works depending on surface, engine load, g-force and so on.

In Germany, we have the delimited AUTOBAHN (see links below in my signature). Therefore it makes sense to order the C63 with the - optional - higher topspeed of 280 (wagon) or 290km/h (sedan / coupe / convertible). This will cost you 3++ k€ in the C63 but only 800 € in the C63S...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing

1. adaptiv engine mounts

3. Race Mode
Is race mode the only mode where the H-Pipe is closed all the way? What about the individual mode then?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM

None
Well thanks a ton everybody!!! Very helpful replies. I'm definitely going with the C63 S now. So excited as this will be my first ever luxury car of my own! And I love Mercedes. Thanks again everybody.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Originally Posted by Vvvvvv
Well thanks a ton everybody!!! Very helpful replies. I'm definitely going with the C63 S now. So excited as this will be my first ever luxury car of my own! And I love Mercedes. Thanks again everybody.
I originally ordered the non-S and changed my order to an S a few months ago. You got some good advice here from the guys that mentioned pricing out difference. I realized after my original order that I wanted some features standard on the S and by the time I priced all my upgrades/options the difference was a few thousand dollars...compromising didn't make sense for me personally so the little extra money was a no brained.
My dream spec c63s is on a boat headed my way and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck bud
Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
LOL. I think I'm the only one on the forums with a non-S c63 =P
Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Originally Posted by skim7x
i strongly considered the non s as I'll never track mine and didn't get a lot of options. But as the other stated by the time I optioned everything it just made more sense. I just worked a little bit more and had a bigger down payment. I couldn't live without the red pepper interior and some of the other things. I figured at 70k I might as well spend the 6k extra and get what I want. Just a few bucks a month more.

If if you can afford it, go s. If you just don't care about the options, go non s. Either way it's a win.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
C63
You're not the only one with a non-S. For me all of the options I wanted were options on the S too, except for one. All of the mods I'm doing are the same mods I would do on the S. I do believe there are advantages in getting a S over a non-S, but I just wasn't willing to pay for them. I'm happy with my choice
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
'17 C63S Estate (S205) / '14 CLS 550 SB (X218) / '17 E220d (S213)
Originally Posted by shoe3k
Is race mode the only mode where the H-Pipe is closed all the way? What about the individual mode then?
That might strongly depend on the market and on the regulations there. In Europe, noise regulations are very strict. The limits are for a 50km/h, 3rd gear and full throttle drive-by. Therefore the exhaust flaps in the C63S close all flaps - even in race mode - in 3rd gear, 50km/h and full throttle. So an absolut answer is not possible for me.

At least for the German market, Race Mode is the only mode, where the H-Pipe flap is closed in every other point except 3rd gear / 50 / WOT. S+ on the other hand still uses the flap variable, depending on engine load, rpm, speed and gear.
The following users liked this post:
AMGC63S (03-11-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW
Originally Posted by DragonRR
I didn't know that!
Know this is where I realise having listened to a C63 then C63s in race mode and it sounded louder and more aggressive salesman said he was not sure why but I noticed it as well.
I will have to try this out with my GoPro external mic for sure , run in past know so this weekend may be in race mode hopefully with more aggressive sound
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
C63s... Performance Seats... Performance Exhaust... Nothing else really matters.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche
When I was looking at cars, there were quite a few S' sitting around and not one non-S. I would have assumed the S to non-S ratio is quite high.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG S Coupe

1. adaptiv engine mounts

3. Race Mode

Great info J.M.G. thank you!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Hahahaha. No you are not. You will be amazed how many are out there. Just not as active on the forum.

On a like for like the difference was £5k.

I was originally going for an SLK55 until they dropped the V8.

I had to raise my budget by £20k just for the V8, so I settled for the base C63 coupe.

If I needed the extras on the S, I would have forked out the extra £5K, but truth be told I smile every time I crank the engine, and that's what matters.

As said if you got the cash to burn, then by all means go for the S, better still get a GTS/R
Old 03-10-2017, 04:59 PM

2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by Palpatine
C63s... Performance Seats... Performance Exhaust... Nothing else really matters.
Performance exhaust is standard in the UK (coupe)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:04 PM

2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by AMGC63S
Know this is where I realise having listened to a C63 then C63s in race mode and it sounded louder and more aggressive salesman said he was not sure why but I noticed it as well.
I will have to try this out with my GoPro external mic for sure , run in past know so this weekend may be in race mode hopefully with more aggressive sound
Interesting, Did the base C63 have the performance exhaust ? That may account for the difference.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
1. adaptiv engine mounts

If you are not going for the optional ceramic brakes, the S-Model offers far superior brakes than the standard C63. This brake is now standard on the S and it is a blast to drive!

3. Race Mode
RACE mode offers an even more aggressiv exhaust note (flap in the H-Pipe is closed all the way through the rev range). The MCT-gearbox is shifting even faster. The throttle response is even sharper. Also ESP is in "Sport Mode" standard.
I know the S model has a bunch more goodies, and I don't mean to offend you with this, but could you cite your sources on some of that information?

1) Adaptive Engine Mounts - I don't think these will change the responsiveness of the engine. These are more for handling dynamics than engine performance.

2) Rotor size - the mb website cites them as the same in S and non-S models. Where have you seen that these sizes differ?

3) Race mode exhaust - again, I don't see any documentation anywhere that says the performance exhaust on an S is different than the performance exhaust in the non-S. Please provide reference.

Appreciate your contribution to these boards!

Originally Posted by Slowlane
You're not the only one with a non-S. For me all of the options I wanted were options on the S too, except for one. All of the mods I'm doing are the same mods I would do on the S. I do believe there are advantages in getting a S over a non-S, but I just wasn't willing to pay for them. I'm happy with my choice
Yup... bought the car planning on modding it...

Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Hahahaha. No you are not. You will be amazed how many are out there. Just not as active on the forum.
On a like for like the difference was £5k.
If I needed the extras on the S, I would have forked out the extra £5K, but truth be told I smile every time I crank the engine, and that's what matters.
As said if you got the cash to burn, then by all means go for the S, better still get a GTS/R
Yeah, mine was actually $8k more for the S... not on insignificant amount. I think because I didn't load up the car... I think the more options you load the non-S with, the more it closes the gap between it and the S model because the S model has many of those options as standard / included in the price.

And you make a good point... once you get in the car and start driving, nothing else really matters... it's such a great engine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get the C63 or the C63 S?