Sponsored by:

Official exhaust software upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:40 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sanch
I think because it isn't a mandatory update. It probably costs them time and effort to do the update with no real benefit to them.

I believe that is one of the main reasons.
My understanding was that Merc paid dealers to update bulletins, but I could be wrong. Weird thing is, they have no problem having the car in and out for other warranty issues (even though they seem to be incompetent at fixing them)!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
exhaust software update

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I had this done last Thursday by my dealer (just brought in the Xentry). My SA hadn't heard of this (and was quite surprised it existed) and confirmed he could do the update. They also ran ECU/Trans updates, which seems like a requirement for the exhaust software in my particular case.

I spent the weekend driving the car with the update and man what a difference. If you thought your overrun cracks and pops were loud before well... prepare yourself. We're talking gunshot loud now.

The two biggest improvements are when revving in neutral and when building boost/wide open throttle and letting off the gas abruptly. There are more pops and cracks when revving in neutral and they sound more violent - and more frequent as well (I only need to rev to 3500 or so rpm and get 4 crazy loud pops, whereas before I had to rev to 4500 or so and it was only 2 pretty loud pops). When accelerating/building boost and letting off the throttle you now get these epic loud cracks. I was driving around in the Boston tunnel's and it sounded like a gun battle in there

For exactly zero dollars, it is absolutely worth the effort of getting the update done - which thanks to my service advisor was extremely easy! After he heard the exhaust update himself, he said he's going to tell all the other C63S owners about it.

Get it done
I had my 5/2015 C63S done - second annual maintenance, and I printed out the Xentry bulletin and asked them to do that as well. Also asked the comand map update. They did what was asked without questions. In sport+ pops and cracks more frequent and louder. In neutral revving to 3500-4000 produces very loud pops (3-4 "explosions"). In comfort and sport modes I did not notice very much difference. After the update, the sound during the first kilometres was not very loud. I though the car needs to adapt to my driving style, so I pushed the car quite a lot during 10-15 kilometres (manual change, high revs, rapid downshifts). That increased the pops during downshifts (earlier and more pops).
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Got my car back today after having the update performed. Definitely improved. Nice pops now in Sport+ and Race. None in Comfort or Sport.

Had a good laugh at my service write up. "Customer states that the exhaust makes no noise and even sounds like a Camery" (sp). LOL
The following users liked this post:
auditoamg (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 AM

2016 C63S
Anyone else feel like boost off the line is down after the update? Seems like some lag when punching it from a stop in first gear (sport+), where I don't remember this before.

Granted, I only had the car for two days before taking it in to get the software, but I feel like I couldn't tell the car was turbocharged when I first drove it, and it snapped right off the line nearly like my W204 6.2L did.

Now theres res a notable boost build under 2.5k or so, and at around 50-70% throttle, the tires don't start slipping until 20 mph or so, as opposed to stepping out right from the start.

If this is is the case (if it is in fact a change), this might be the "cure" for the jumpy low throttle complaint that is also wrapped into this update. Remember the fun sounds went away when they "optimized vehicle drive off agility in Sport +". So they might have said screw it, people want fun sounds, so put it back and they'll have less snap off the line in Sport+.

In reality, it may be a good thing, actually having traction when pulling away with some decent throttle, but that was part of the w204 that I loved. If you didn't respect the throttle, it would bite you right off the line.

I will say that the pops going under a train overpass today were pretty fun.

Anyway, would love to hear other people's thoughts who've had the car for more than 3 days, lol.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Anyone else feel like boost off the line is down after the update? Seems like some lag when punching it from a stop in first gear (sport+), where I don't remember this before.

Granted, I only had the car for two days before taking it in to get the software, but I feel like I couldn't tell the car was turbocharged when I first drove it, and it snapped right off the line nearly like my W204 6.2L did.

Now theres res a notable boost build under 2.5k or so, and at around 50-70% throttle, the tires don't start slipping until 20 mph or so, as opposed to stepping out right from the start.

If this is is the case (if it is in fact a change), this might be the "cure" for the jumpy low throttle complaint that is also wrapped into this update. Remember the fun sounds went away when they "optimized vehicle drive off agility in Sport +". So they might have said screw it, people want fun sounds, so put it back and they'll have less snap off the line in Sport+.

In reality, it may be a good thing, actually having traction when pulling away with some decent throttle, but that was part of the w204 that I loved. If you didn't respect the throttle, it would bite you right off the line.

I will say that the pops going under a train overpass today were pretty fun.

Anyway, would love to hear other people's thoughts who've had the car for more than 3 days, lol.

I don't think it's so much turbo lag as it's just a re-calibration of the throttle input. They just made tip-in less touchy.

From a drivability standpoint, that sounds like an improvement simply because it makes the throttle easier to use, but that does sound like it has taken a bit of the fun out of it.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Got my car back today after having the update performed. Definitely improved. Nice pops now in Sport+ and Race. None in Comfort or Sport.

Had a good laugh at my service write up. "Customer states that the exhaust makes no noise and even sounds like a Camery" (sp). LOL
LOL.
What's a Camery?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 C205 coupe, Ferrari F12, Porsche 991.1 Turbo S
If you're in the UK, there is unequivocally a Xentry TIP sheet, located in Design group 07, then 07.08 Governor, then Model series 205, engine sound changes after software update. Topic number GI07.08-P-064399. Other markets may differ.

Image of v.3 below. Any UK dealer telling you there isn't an update is either lying, too lazy to check or too stupid to find it. Note it appears to apply to vehicles manufactured prior to December 2016. It also specifically notes that customers have been informed of the update via the Private Lounge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan.pdf (165.3 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by rjn21; 06-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Jimmy_c63s (01-31-2020)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63s 2017
Hey guys,

I just got my c63s the other week and it's a Jan 17 build. Does this mean that the car should already have the update?

As I haven't really heard what the pre-update exhaust sound like, it's hard for me to tell if the loundess is pre or post update.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:11 PM

2016 C63S
Guys, I put a threat in the Private Lounge about the throttle mapping and boost being terrible after the exhaust sound software and TCU update. If you feel this change too, head over there and get AMG to pay attention to us and provide a fix.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge/forums/showthread.php?257871-W205-C63S-Throttle-Feels-Neutered-After-Exhaust-Sound-Update&p=2933111#post2933111
AlexZTuned (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
I have just received my March 16 C63S back from my dealership service centre where it was in again to have the constant dash squeaks rectified.

While test driving with the tech the down gear shift when entering their driveway hit hard.

The dealership did an engine and transmission update (not sure if the exhaust update is a separate update or not) which I note the following - I have not driven to much yet as I have just gotten the car back:

- very smooth power when taking off from the lights
- very strong smooth power with no turbo lag (better than pre-update) when foot to floor when taking off from the lights (butt dyno says it's a lot quicker then pre-update even though the rear 295's still get the rear sideways)
- I am running with an AWE Track Edition Exhaust so I lost all the pops and crackles when this was fitted...I did hear a couple of pops last night and will observe more as time goes on
- I haven't noticed any hard shifting in Sports+ yet and will continue to observe

Is the exhaust update a seperate update from the engine or would it be incorporated in the same update?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Just to clarify, people that have had this update can you give us some feedback?

Is everyone facing these issues stated above? - or is it a one off.

I have my car booked in Wednesday.... Should I cancel?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Just to clarify, people that have had this update can you give us some feedback?

Is everyone facing these issues stated above? - or is it a one off.

I have my car booked in Wednesday.... Should I cancel?
For me (UK non-S) the car is just as powerful, but I have noticed a difference in the throttle mapping. Sport+ isn't as sensitive, so you need more travel to break traction. I think this is a good thing, because it stops the throttle hop that can happen when travelling over a bump with a sensitive throttle. On a smooth track, a mega sensitive throttle is a good thing, but on less-than-perfect roads, the new mapping suits the car better I think. It still shoots away from standstill plenty quick!

In sport modes, most cars tend to have full throttle on or before 50% travel, so I expect the new mode simply spreads that out a little further than it was before. It didn't seem like very much travel previously to get full throttle.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Andyroo
For me (UK non-S) the car is just as powerful, but I have noticed a difference in the throttle mapping. Sport+ isn't as sensitive, so you need more travel to break traction. I think this is a good thing, because it stops the throttle hop that can happen when travelling over a bump with a sensitive throttle. On a smooth track, a mega sensitive throttle is a good thing, but on less-than-perfect roads, the new mapping suits the car better I think. It still shoots away from standstill plenty quick!

In sport modes, most cars tend to have full throttle on or before 50% travel, so I expect the new mode simply spreads that out a little further than it was before. It didn't seem like very much travel previously to get full throttle.
Thank you for that feedback - This is helpful and good to know.

I agree regarding the sensitive throttle, that would be a bonus as Sydney roads are terrible.

In-terms of the sound is there a noticeable difference?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by RDO247
I have just received my March 16 C63S back from my dealership service centre where it was in again to have the constant dash squeaks rectified.

While test driving with the tech the down gear shift when entering their driveway hit hard.

The dealership did an engine and transmission update (not sure if the exhaust update is a separate update or not) which I note the following - I have not driven to much yet as I have just gotten the car back:

- very smooth power when taking off from the lights
- very strong smooth power with no turbo lag (better than pre-update) when foot to floor when taking off from the lights (butt dyno says it's a lot quicker then pre-update even though the rear 295's still get the rear sideways)
- I am running with an AWE Track Edition Exhaust so I lost all the pops and crackles when this was fitted...I did hear a couple of pops last night and will observe more as time goes on
- I haven't noticed any hard shifting in Sports+ yet and will continue to observe

Is the exhaust update a seperate update from the engine or would it be incorporated in the same update?
My hunch is that the "update" is all inclusive (i.e. Your update included the "exhaust sound update".

You mention less less lag which is pretty crazy. Vouple of questions/tests. In Sport +, from a full stop, if you quickly slap the gas pedal down and immediately release it, does the car even react? Then you mention the tires getting loose. Is this immediate from a stop or is it more at the top of first gear and through second gear?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:04 PM

C63
Hi guys,

just got got my car back from the dealer after a service and I asked them to do the update.
i was told "all done sir"
is there a quick and easy way to check if it has been updated to the new software for the exhaust?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by the_big_1
Hi guys,

just got got my car back from the dealer after a service and I asked them to do the update.
i was told "all done sir"
is there a quick and easy way to check if it has been updated to the new software for the exhaust?
downshift to above 3k rpms in sport plus/race mode works best around 3500 and give the car some gas and let off completely it should pop a few times every time you do that.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 PM

C63
Cheers for that!
so what would happen if it's not been updated and I do that?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Cheers for that!
so what would happen if it's not been updated and I do that?
Nothing.... you'd hear the engine downshift and that's about it.

Actually, the better test is to rev it at idle to around 3500 RPMs and see if you get a pop or two on the way back down.

BTW - don't do this repeatedly.
Not good for the systems IMHO.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM

C63
So if I put it in race, rev to 3500 and let off the throttle, pops and bangs updated, none then not updated?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 PM

2016 C63S
So if I put it in race, rev to 3500 and let off the throttle, pops and bangs updated, none then not updated?

yes. It is really, really obvious if it's updated or not. The pops are not subtle.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Hey Mikey, I think he's got it!
;-)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:09 AM

C63
lol I just tried it. blipped the throttle past 3500, twice to check, about 4 pops as the revs drop off :0)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:51 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Thank you for that feedback - This is helpful and good to know.

I agree regarding the sensitive throttle, that would be a bonus as Sydney roads are terrible.

In-terms of the sound is there a noticeable difference?
Yes, a lot more pops and bangs. My car did single pops on shifts before and that was about it, now it pops and bangs all the time. Gas and let off yields a flurry of the things every time.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
What's interesting is that all these descriptions from everyone as to how the post-update exhaust sounds is pretty much how my car sounds. It's a 5/2015 build date and has never had the ECU updated since delivery.

The more I read all this (and especially read into the bulletin describing the new update) it sounds like the previous update did away with the pops/bangs and the newest update just brings it back. If you pre-date both of those updated, you have the pops/bangs already. Might also explain why a few people on here didn't notice much of a difference after the update.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075
What's interesting is that all these descriptions from everyone as to how the post-update exhaust sounds is pretty much how my car sounds. It's a 5/2015 build date and has never had the ECU updated since delivery.

The more I read all this (and especially read into the bulletin describing the new update) it sounds like the previous update did away with the pops/bangs and the newest update just brings it back. If you pre-date both of those updated, you have the pops/bangs already. Might also explain why a few people on here didn't notice much of a difference after the update.
i think this makes logical sense. The Xentry says 2016 and previous cars, but in the description says that the issue was caused by continuously developing the code, which means it was changed at some point after the car's initial launch. Likely that your car had the original code.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official exhaust software upgrade